shape
carat
color
clarity

New babies!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you that don't know, I have chickens:) They are spoiled rotten and live in this palace:

13227503_1195800380452526_238454361795022239_o-1.jpg 13244215_1195801237119107_8374002230329016567_o-1.jpg

I have a hen who is broody (sits on eggs trying to hatch them.) They are not fertile and she has been doing this for 5 months. She's lost a lot of weight and she's miserable. So last night I got fed up and went to Tractor supply, bought 6 2 day old chicks and snuck them under her in the middle of the night. Not a PEEP. Woke up this morning and she was SOOOOOOO happy to be a mom! And the chicks just love her!

Pics:

IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4033.JPG IMG_4037.JPG
IMG_4039 2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, so sweet ! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Such a good Mama!:appl:

cheers--Sharon

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love this! So adorable! What a sweet thing to do for her.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How precious!!! I keep trying to convince my husband that we need a couple chickens...You have quite the chicken castle! Lucky ladies in there :kiss2:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AWEEEE omg that is soo cute

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awwwww I love this so much and I love you for caring about her so much.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww so precious!!!:love:
Big (((hugs))) to you and them.
Just freaking adorable. I'm in love. :love:

This made my day thank you Soxfan.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, this has got me thinking about a backyard coop again because, after over a year of a really intense landscape demo and build, we almost have a backyard--finally :lol-2:

Aside from the adorable decorations on it, is that coop one you made or purchased? Am I correct in guessing you have seven chickens in there? (I think those are name plaques on the side, but I can't quite make it out.)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, this has got me thinking about a backyard coop again because, after over a year of a really intense landscape demo and build, we almost have a backyard--finally :lol-2:

Aside from the adorable decorations on it, is that coop one you made or purchased? Am I correct in guessing you have seven chickens in there? (I think those are name plaques on the side, but I can't quite make it out.)

My husband built the coop and used the "wichita cabin coop" plans. They are $5 and available online. We did customize the size. Those name plaques are old. Right now I have one rooster, 8 hens, and 6 babies. IF you build a coop, account for "chicken math." They are like potato chips, you can't have just one. :lol::lol: Always build your coop bigger than you will think you will need it.

The only coops I will recommend for purchasing are ones that very expensive or built on site. The cheap ones are not predator proof and will fall apart:( If hubby isn't handy, hire someone. Chickens are quite easy to care for. The hardest part is loosing one or having to put them down if they get sick or suffer.

My husband had to put down our silver-laced wyandotte last weekend. It wasn't pleasant. She was very sick:(

P

PierreBear

First off, what a neat coop! Living in style!
What a wonderful story and thanks for sharing!!!!! It certainly warmed my heart.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the great story! We could all use some good news for a change.
I petted some chicks and baby ducks at our State Fair last week. So much fun!:razz:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so freaking adorable!!! I bet she was thrilled to wake up as a mama!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just the sweetest thing! You just made my day! :kiss2:
I can only imagine how happy she was when she woke up to those sweet baby chicks. A proud mama. :D

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now hopefully when I get home from work she hasn't eaten them all. :lol::lol::lol: I'm kidding, she is very gentle with them. ANY hen who has been sitting and waiting 5 months for babies is by nature going to be a great mom!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this story!!! Wow, what a great idea to help that poor mama hen!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on cuteness overload. We had three-- 2 red hens and one araucana who laid blue eggs (betty, beverly and chloe). My son showed them for 4H but the neighborhood made us get rid of them because they were too low rent looking. (Seriously, I would NEVER buy in an area with homeowners associations again). We gave them to his science teacher and they went on to have a couple of rounds of chicks and then a few years later the predators came and wiped them all out.

We enjoyed them very much. They used to love when I would weed the garden-- keep me company, scratch and look for goodies while I worked.

Chickens are cool.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY GOD where do you live and how do I get there?!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan, you're the best! :appl: :appl: :appl:

What a thoughtful, sweet thing to do!

Your chickens are beautiful, with the exception of Silky Johnson who is very handsome.
Can't be calling him 'beautiful'.

Those photos of your new little Mama and her babies are so adorable!

Your husband built a pretty snazzy home for your brood. Great work!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, they're too cute:love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is making me sad I live in an area with an HOA. I want tiny chicks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely love this. Soxfan, you are the best Grandmama!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just the sweetest thing I've heard of in a loooong time. I bet she was over the moon when she woke up :love:. What a terribly considerate, thoughtful thing for you to do Soxfan. You've made her life exponentially happier :clap:

BTW, I'm totally digging their digs! Tell hubby I said "Great job!"

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Omg! What a sweet thing to do. I'm sure she's one happy mama!

This made my morning. Especially, after reading several articles about animals hurt by people on my FB feed this morning. Thank you for sharing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tooooo Cute!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results