shape
carat
color
clarity

New babies!

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so so sorry to hear about your chicks. I was so memorized reading through this thread and heartbroken to see the ending. Please update on how the others are doing.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F2E2D6D2-D0F5-43EC-AC76-CC4E48FD92CA.jpeg D88F8579-E316-40E0-868E-1A9300B6F53B.jpeg Of course I will keep you all updated! We got two new chicks. The three we already had continue to thrive and are hilarious. But the two new ones are trying to dust bathe at only a week old! hysterical.

Dandelion, my matriarch and most revered sweet loving buff, has bumblefoot. You can google it- not a big deal. I gave her a nice hot bath and treated her. She laid in that bath and we fed her food. It was like a spa day.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share some detail on how you treated the foot?
She looks very content in her little wrap!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you share some detail on how you treated the foot?
She looks very content in her little wrap!

Hers wasn't too bad. Plug never came out, so I put prid on it and wrapped it. The wrap is still on, I have to wait for my daughter to get home to remove it and check it out. It's a drawing salve, so we'll see if it did the trick.

https://www.tillysnest.com/?s=bumblefoot

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess who's broody again? Now I have to buy another coop to keep her fat ass in babies.....:???::???::???::???:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What? Kevin??? Can you give her the new babies or are they too old? What kinds are the new chicks?

Spa day for Dandelion! Who knew...If I was a chicken I'd want to live at your house!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What? Kevin??? Can you give her the new babies or are they too old? What kinds are the new chicks?

Spa day for Dandelion! Who knew...If I was a chicken I'd want to live at your house!

Yes, Kevin. I can't stick the babies under her now, they are too big! I have to get her fertile hatching eggs. :???::???::???: The new chicks are 2 barred rocks, 2 blue andelusians (I think,) and one welsummer or Easter egger, not sure yet.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_7300.jpg

Boy, is the juvenile chicken age ugly. :lol::lol::lol: The one in the middle is like "what do you want from me?"

I feel bad that they have to be raised in a cage because Goldie almost killed them. BUT...they will be better off. I wonder if I can just give them to Kevin now???? :shock::shock::shock:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno about that!! Those babies are pretty cute to me!! <3<3<3<3 I love this thread. I should show my husband. He grew up with chickens as friends :D
IMG_7300.jpg

Boy, is the juvenile chicken age ugly. :lol::lol::lol: The one in the middle is like "what do you want from me?"

I feel bad that they have to be raised in a cage because Goldie almost killed them. BUT...they will be better off. I wonder if I can just give them to Kevin now???? :shock::shock::shock:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
560C0B64-5D00-4058-B578-7131EE8B8D7F.jpeg DEA62028-1CF0-4F06-95AB-9F5AD8A9880F.jpeg 885B89AB-72E6-44A9-A40F-1FD33D557734.jpeg
IMG_7300.jpg

Aw! This makes me miss when we had chickens! We used to live in the urban hills and have a bit more space, and we raised chicks that we hatched from grandpa’s eggs when my son was little! He’s almost 10 now!

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Guess who's broody again? Now I have to buy another coop to keep her fat ass in babies.....:???::???::???::???:
How's Kevin doing? Did you give her any chicks?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's Kevin doing? Did you give her any chicks?

two or three more days until they hatch. Then I will pick them up and put them under her.

Q

Queenie60

Very cute! You're a great chicken lady.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hope the first night went well.

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin is such a good mom!!! Looking forward to seeing how she raises these chicks!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin is a rockstar—best mama evah!

Soxfan, were last year’s babies white leghorns? I may have the opportunity to buy 1 or 2 tomorrow and wondered about temperament. Do you know if they’re friendly? We had a couple of brown leghorns a few years ago and they were phenomenal layers but very skittish.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kevin is a rockstar—best mama evah!

Soxfan, were last year’s babies white leghorns? I may have the opportunity to buy 1 or 2 tomorrow and wondered about temperament. Do you know if they’re friendly? We had a couple of brown leghorns a few years ago and they were phenomenal layers but very skittish.

They were. Not friendly. Phenomenal layers but very skittish. I agree with your assessment.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is really their color- lavender. The purple on the back end of the middle one is blue-kote. She got pecked or stepped on somehow so I treated with neosporin and put blue-kote on it so others won't peck her.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omigosh they are so adorable! I love them! :love:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is really their color- lavender. The purple on the back end of the middle one is blue-kote. She got pecked or stepped on somehow so I treated with neosporin and put blue-kote on it so others won't peck her.
How can you resist picking them up and cuddling them? They are adorable.:love::love::love:
Kevin is adorable, too! Can we all come over and hug them?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, Soxfan, "where's the trust?" Who tried to make a punk chick by dying one blue?!! Sheesh, Kevin's gonna watch to make sure you don't give the next one a mohawk...o_O

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, Soxfan, "where's the trust?" Who tried to make a punk chick by dying one blue?!! Sheesh, Kevin's gonna watch to make sure you don't give the next one a mohawk...o_O

OMG she stresses me out so bad. I took that baby into the house to wash and assess her wounds. They were BOTH squawking like they were being murdered. We washed her, gave her nice warm bath and I dressed her wound. THEN we got out the blow dryer....

Silence. It was like she went into a trance. As soon as she stopped peeping, Kevin could care less- she knew she was in good hands and getting a spa treatment she USED to get.

She laid on the countertop sleeping through the whole blow dry. Of course, as soon as I picked her up to take her back she started squawking and Kevin ran over like a bad ass. Then they were reunited and all was good. It's been two days and the chick is perfect.

I didn't update before all of this but of the 3 chicks we got for Kevin, one was dead under her the second night:( I don't know if it got squashed, was unhealthy, or what. The breeder said for every hatch they expect a 30% loss, so that makes sense. I came out and the two chicks were up and about and I didn't see the other one. Then I saw Kevin try to coax her out and she was flat and cold:( I gently took her away and buried her. The breeder had one female left and I went and got her a couple of hours later and Kevin didn't know the difference.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now I'm up to 21 chickens from 6. Good thing my neighbors accept me for the insane chicken lady I am. They all get free fresh eggs and their yards are tick free!!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've even started a trend. Their kids and grandkids are now getting chickens because they enjoy spending time with mine when they come to see their parents and grandparents!!!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All kidding aside, you are THE BEST Insane Chicken Lady - amazingly kind, loving and thoughtful. And spreading the chicken love to the next generation is awesome!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are amazing!:razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results