Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Awesome purpulie fuzziness....ahhhhhhhhhh:love:

cheers--Sharon

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your chicks are darling! What kind are they? We picked up a few a week or so ago and they’re fascinating to watch.

I wondered how Dandelion’s foot responded to bumblefoot treatment? I currently have a hen with it. She’s in a lot of pain (and is broody which is complicating things) so we’ve opted for surgery tomorrow with a vet.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your chicks are darling! What kind are they? We picked up a few a week or so ago and they’re fascinating to watch.

I wondered how Dandelion’s foot responded to bumblefoot treatment? I currently have a hen with it. She’s in a lot of pain (and is broody which is complicating things) so we’ve opted for surgery tomorrow with a vet.

Dandelion had a very mild case. She seems to be doing fine now. I would definitely take her to a vet if it got worse, you are doing the right thing.

The baby chicks are lavender cuckoo orpingtons. They will look like this when mature:

mixed-groups-10.jpg

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Soxfan, is it true that the color of the chicken egg is determined by the color of the inside of their ear? Someone once told me this. Your chicks are so sweet!!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soxfan, is it true that the color of the chicken egg is determined by the color of the inside of their ear? Someone once told me this. Your chicks are so sweet!!!

It is. My leghorns lay white eggs and have white ears. My buffs have red ears and lay brown.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG...I just found this thread...and it's taken me through all the emotions!

I was tickled pink about the first batch of babies, then all nostalgic when they grew up. Then sad about the silky, lots of laughing about the swimming chickens. So excited about Goldie's chicks, and then anxious. I can't even express the blinding rage that hit me when I read about the MONSTER Sadie. But thank you Kevin for bringing the calm and happiness back.

I'm so glad to have read this thread and I can't wait to see Kevin's new babies grow up! Please, please, please could we get a family shot?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummmm...Kevin's babies (only two now, a hawk got one) are ROOSTERS. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

IMG_9004.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love the picture! Sorry you are upset....I wonder what Kevin thinks......

cheers--Sharon

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love the picture! Sorry you are upset....I wonder what Kevin thinks......

cheers--Sharon

Oh she has no idea. And of course I will keep them because I love them. But they will mate with her, and I think that is weird. LOL!!! When they are mature, IF they fight, I will return one to the breeder. These are rare and very beautiful birds- they will never end up in a stew pot. Maybe she will give me some new babies next year that are girls???:love: Picture of a mature lavender cuckoo orpington rooster:

Lcc4.5.22.13XSM-300x296.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh she has no idea. And of course I will keep them because I love them. But they will mate with her, and I think that is weird. LOL!!! When they are mature, IF they fight, I will return one to the breeder. These are rare and very beautiful birds- they will never end up in a stew pot. Maybe she will give me some new babies next year that are girls???:love: Picture of a mature lavender cuckoo orpington rooster:

Lcc4.5.22.13XSM-300x296.jpg

WOW! Gorgeous! Kevin has her hands full....perhaps more than she bargained!:mrgreen2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Kevin left the babies, I guess she figured they were old enough to be on their own. They have been peeping for her and looking for her, but are doing fine on their own. Then I went outside yesterday and saw this:

IMG_9394.jpg IMG_9400.jpg

That is NOT Kevin. That is my other broody, Dandelion. She adopted them! She walks around with them scratching up food for them and even slept with them last night. SO cute. The good thing is that she seems to think she hatched them so she's not broody any more. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

They are getting SO big. I think I have a female and a male.

IMG_9406.jpg
IMG_9415.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9415.jpg
    IMG_9415.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 11

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update! Their coloring is lovely.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great news soxfan! So glad another mama stepped in! I hope one is a hen. Dumb question but how do you tell at this age?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great news soxfan! So glad another mama stepped in! I hope one is a hen. Dumb question but how do you tell at this age?

I'm going by the feathers. Until one crows....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lost our golden laced wyandotte "Goldie" today. She had been failing for about a week:(

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry about Goldie’s passing, @soxfan! We’ve had some losses this year as well and it’s so sad every time. You get attached to the chicken family. Any idea what happened?

So impressed with Dandelion! Chickens are so funny/weird.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry about Goldie’s passing, @soxfan! We’ve had some losses this year as well and it’s so sad every time. You get attached to the chicken family. Any idea what happened?

So impressed with Dandelion! Chickens are so funny/weird.

Mereks I think. All of my wyandottes died the same way. I think it was a bad batch.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a sad update about my flock. A hawk killed Dandelion yesterday. I heard an awful noise and went to look and I found a juvenile red tail standing over her. She was already dead.

But a very strange thing happened. The hawk stayed there. I got within 3 inches of him and he wouldn't budge. I went and got my camera. I took videos and a million pictures and he wouldn't budge. I finally had to slap him to get him to leave her so I could bury her. Totally surreal experience. I'm attaching some pictures. *warning- Dandelion is in them, however she did not have a mark on her. I think she had a heart attack from the stress of it all.

IMG_0599.jpg IMG_0603.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0616.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about Dandelion! I send hugs.

On a side note, that is a super strange story about the hawk though... I wonder if he feeling ok.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about Dandelion! I send hugs.

On a side note, that is a super strange story about the hawk though... I wonder if he feeling ok.

Yes, he was totally healthy. Juveniles are notoriously bold. He didn't want to give up that meal!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, he was totally healthy. Juveniles are notoriously bold. He didn't want to give up that meal!

Good for him...I guess. Though that slap might have taught him to be weary of your property at least for a little bit. I was worried he has some kind of avarian bug that might affect your other babies. I've always been taught to be wary of feral cats for that reason, if they're that bold they might have some disease I don't want to take home to mine.

I hope you're doing alright after all that, and that the rest of your flock is safe.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhh so sorry about Dandelion.sad :((
Amazing photos of the Hawk--beaking off and all!

Sharon

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That hawk is beautiful! Check out that wing span! Those eyes! Incredible pictures soxfan! Really sorry about Dandelion :cry2: Nature is cruel, beautiful, but cruel.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about Dandelion, soxfan.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That hawk is beautiful! Check out that wing span! Those eyes! Incredible pictures soxfan! Really sorry about Dandelion :cry2: Nature is cruel, beautiful, but cruel.

I know. I got some amazing photos.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry Soxfan.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awww poor Dandelion....:cry:

Amazing pictures though...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so sad. How awful for Dandelion!:eek2: I am so sorry. You know I love your chickens!
But this hawk is stunning! What a gorgeous creature!

Strangely enough, I spent 20 minutes watching a red tailed hawk eating a pigeon in a parking lot early this morning.
There were feathers everywhere and the hawk was literally plucking the pigeon's feathers before taking bites. The parking lot was nearly empty. Several cars drove by, but the hawk stood it's ground.
Then some idiot guy pulls up one space away from the hawk, opens his door and gets out, scaring the hawk away. Yes, I chewed him out for it.

Last edited:

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is the best thread on the internet. I started to read it 40 minutes ago and its riveting! You are an amazing person @soxfan - thank you for sharing this. I am so sorry about Dandelion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results