shape
carat
color
clarity

New and looking for help choosing Cushion cut diamond to OZ

hogster

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have been researching for quite a while and every google search leads to here so thought I would join up for some help from you experts.

I have taken my girlfriend ring shopping for down the line whenever I decide to pop the question but it will be a big surprise and for here to have no idea.

Now she was settled on a princess cut but after visiting a few shops here in Sydney and being drawn into Gregory jewellers she has picked out and very impressed by cushion cut.

She would be happy with 0.8 to 1ct centre diamond but I am looking to stretch to 1.2 carat diamond cushion cut. I can not afford the over priced shops here in the size and spec I want so I will haveto look overseas.

I am looking at using jamesallen.com as they seem to have the best site and can view the diamnds and are very helpful when asking question and come highly recommended on here.

The specs I want are:

-Excellent cut
-VVS1 to VVS2 (maybe VS1)
-D or E colour (maybe F)
-Fluorescence none if possible
-good diameters
-excellect symmetry and polish

I am looking at this one in particular:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-357112

or this one which is slightly bit more:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-357119

I am looking for a pave style ring in platinum if possible or 18k white gold if funds wont allow platinum my total budget is $10k aus dollar including gst on the ring but i will be leaving the country at xmas and can claim the gst back.

I am tempted to use Gregorys to make the ring as I love there designs but has anyone any suggestions.

If you can help with a diamond selection would really apreciate it.
Thanks

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: New and looking for help choosing Cushion cut diamond to

Hi, hopefully Gypsy will see the post and make some wonderful stone suggestions for you. I think VVS stones are overkill personally when you can purchase a larger eyeclean VS stone for the same price, but that is just my personal opinion. You also might want to check what you are saying about the tax. The taxes and duties here in Australia are 15% total we have a free trade agreement with the US so if you have the correct paperwork the amount you have to pay is 10%. You cannot get the ring to Australia and then try and claim this amount back when you leave the country, it is illogical and not the way the system works.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Thanks for youre reply much appreciated.

I understand what you mean about get a vs1 instead of vvs1/2 but if they are similar money I will go for the vvs1/2 or the vs.

With regards to the tax James Allen do the paper work from what I have read and with the free trade agreement between AU and America so on a loose diamond I will only pay the 10% gst.

I am heading home from Ireland and can technically claim the gst back as I will be leaving the country and the diamond will not be coming back with me, it will be coming back with her.

The ring I will get made over here or depending on the jeweller I can get them to buy the diamond and have the gst all on one receipt but will see what happens. You can claim gst back on anything over the value of $300 dollars.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Anymore help on this please?

I am dealing with a nice lasy in Gregory jewellors and she has said that can be very hard buying overseas that although they are slightly more expensive they hand select diamonds and alot of diamonds on James Allen or Blue nile will not meet there standards.

I have sent her links to the diamonds above for her to look at and they will try match price then offer me a price on better specd diamond in the same carat.

This is a very big decision and alot of money so any help would be appreciated. I will post up details of there gia report number compared to what i am looking at and see what you guys think

I told them I would be happy with an D/E colour in 1.2 carat and VS1/SI1 with excellent cut, sym and polish.

Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay so, you've picked poor performing diamonds. And I don't think anyone has educated you on diamond cut yet.

You don't need a jeweler to inflate prices for you by hand selecting diamonds. A) you can work with a jeweler in the US that hand selects diamond for you and it will still be cheaper, or B) we can select diamonds for you.

You don't need VVS. And you don't neeed F or better. G color and above is fine.

I'll post you some information you need to process and study and read.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good cushions is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds.

Or you can get an AGS0 cushions, but those are rare, and usually branded. . GIA does not grade their princesses for performance. Only AGS does. And any lab other than GIA or AGS is not worth considering at all.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

So you are looking for a diamond under 7000? US?

Incidentally you don't compare cushions by carat weight. They aren't like rounds. You compare them by dimensions, what we refer to as spread. A 1 carat stone can easily face up larger than a 1.2 carat depending how their faceting patterns and their angles and depths.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hogster|1408331284|3734539 said:
Anymore help on this please?

I am dealing with a nice lasy in Gregory jewellors and she has said that can be very hard buying overseas that although they are slightly more expensive they hand select diamonds and alot of diamonds on James Allen or Blue nile will not meet there standards.

I have sent her links to the diamonds above for her to look at and they will try match price then offer me a price on better specd diamond in the same carat.

This is a very big decision and alot of money so any help would be appreciated. I will post up details of there gia report number compared to what i am looking at and see what you guys think

I told them I would be happy with an D/E colour in 1.2 carat and VS1/SI1 with excellent cut, sym and polish.

Thanks.

I am sorry you have been fed this rubbish, Gregory's and even Tiffany's for that matter here have staff that will all tell you the standard b/s line that their stones are better than the US, badmouthing the competition is part of the hard sell. There are lots and lots of bad online vendors that part is true, however, now you have come here you will save money by purchasing from reputable vendors online, these are tried and tested retailers with many years serving their customers. The more educated and informed you are, the better you will be able to make clear purchasing decisions.
Lots of people think they are getting great diamonds because they are VVs stones or a high colour. The quality of the cut is what gives a diamond the fire and the sparkle which next to size is what the human eye notices, so if you have a slumpy cut even with a top colour and clarity you can still get a very ordinary diamond. A lot of stones that we have on offer here in Australia are average to below average cuts.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy snd Arkieb1,

Thank you for the responses and wealth of knowledge you have and i appreciate the detailed responses.

I have dont lots of reading and that cut is very important but i did not realise it was as important as you have described. To be honest alot of it is well over my head and alot to take in. I feel everyone wants my money and they will tell me anything just to sell me a ring.

I would really appreciate you expert opinions as from what i have chosen im not doing to well.

Really my budget for the diamond would like to be 7 to 7.5k australian dollar including 10% gst then 2.5 to 3k aus dollar for ring.

I want the biggest diamond i can get tor my money for best cut.

Could you kindly send me some suggestions of what you would recommend looking at and why you have choosen them then i can ask for the idealscope and images for you to view.

I want to move soon as i need the ring made before i go home in 2.5 months.
Thank you

hogster

Rough_Rock

@gypsy is there anyway i can contact you directly as i cant see a private mail on this forum?

Email address etc would be perfect thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

We aren't allowed to post personal information. I can help you here though, I do it every day. We aren't trying to sell you anything. Most of the posters on here are like me, hobbyists. All trade members have badges on their posts that say trade, and they have many restrictions placed on them so they cannot self promote.

We just want to help you get educated enough so you can make the right choice for you. And, if you want, we can help you pick stones with good potential as well.

These are nice stones:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793 PUT ON HOLD ASAP.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030

You can put them on hold and ask for an ASET image. They will get them to you in 3 business days.

There's not a lot of stones with good performance at the 1.10 and above carat range D-G color, eyeclean and under 7500 US.

But there are many lovely cushions at just over a carat.
This is a gorgeous with ASETs already posted. http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6174200-1.00-carat-Cushion-diamond-E-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

You said you want the biggest stone possible. I will probably need to expand to H color.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hogster

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your quick response Gypsy.

That is no problem I am on many forums (cars) and usually you can pm each other for help and advice. I will look at the three you have selected and respond back to you.

Are you located in Australia or America as i would love a jeweller to be recommended?

Will reply back in a few moments

Thanks

hogster

Rough_Rock

I have put the 1.2 carat on hold as i really like that but i also like the second one you posted 1.07 james allen and its 1k cheaper.

The b2cjewels one is ok i rather other two tho the bigger one but im guessing its us dollars so with gst will be alot more.
From the 1.07 to 1.2 you posted which is better in your opinion?

Thanks

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Where are you based Hogster?

If you are in Sydney, I could possibly help you with a jeweller recommendation. Probably also Melbourne.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Settings are generally cheaper and better made in the US. Do you have an image or a link to the type of setting you are after? I am sure all the P/S members can make suggestions on that as well.

hogster

Rough_Rock

I am based in Sydney so open to suggestions thanks.

I will try find images as the ones in gregorys are available online i dont think.

I have been speaking to jamesallen reps.
Both diamonds Gypsey suggested have a crushed ice look in their opinion and im not sure if this is better than chunkier facet? They said crushed will have more sparkle but i have seen GOG videos where crushed ice look is not desired?

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are the stones I picked for you:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793 What I like best: size. What about cut: High crown, outside facets look crisp. Just depends how much "mush" is under the table, and an ASET will tell us that. MODIFIED FOUR MAIN FACET PATTERN.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030 What I like best: very crisp faceting all over including under the table. What about cut: looks really promising. Nice high crown. SIX MAIN FACET PATTERN
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-288380 What I like best, outside facets. What about cut: Depends on how much darkness is under the table, if those facets ASET out red, then we're in business if they are black or blue, then it's a pass. SIX MAIN FACET PATTERN
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-291030 Same spread at the 1.21 E VS1. What I like best: facets under the table. What I am concerned about: performance of outside edges. MODIFIED FOUR MAIN FACET PATTERN

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hogster|1408343184|3734610 said:
I have been speaking to jamesallen reps.
Both diamonds Gypsey suggested have a crushed ice look in their opinion and im not sure if this is better than chunkier facet? They said crushed will have more sparkle but i have seen GOG videos where crushed ice look is not desired?

Thanks

You are speaking to someone ignorant or poorly trained. NONE of the stones I posted for you are crushed ice. All the ones I picked for you are modern cushions wit six main or modified four main facet patterns. Which are NOT crushed ice facet patterns.

The first two stones you picked? Those are crushed ice. And they tend not to be has bright or well performing as the cushions I posted for you, and that's why GOG says they are not desirable. Well cut and well performing crushed ice cushions are rare. And that's why I said the ones you picked were poor performers.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1408343280|3734612 said:
Here are the stones I picked for you:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793 What I like best: size. What about cut: High crown, outside facets look crisp. Just depends how much "mush" is under the table, and an ASET will tell us that. MODIFIED FOUR MAIN FACET PATTERN.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030 What I like best: very crisp faceting all over including under the table. What about cut: looks really promising. Nice high crown. SIX MAIN FACET PATTERN
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-288380 What I like best, outside facets. What about cut: Depends on how much darkness is under the table, if those facets ASET out red, then we're in business if they are black or blue, then it's a pass. SIX MAIN FACET PATTERN
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-291030 Same spread at the 1.21 E VS1. What I like best: facets under the table. What I am concerned about: performance of outside edges. MODIFIED FOUR MAIN FACET PATTERN

Thanks again for your detailed response you are very helpful considering i am a total stranger.

I do like all of the above but considering budget they are all at the top end the 2nd one 305030 seems goid and its just over 6.6k aus and with gst will go over that so il be pushing budget.
How would you rate that one http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030 compared to the others and in your opinion for the money its at?
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That 1.07 is my favorite one honestly. But the G SI2 if eyeclean could be a serious contender.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1408344062|3734618 said:
If this one is eyeclean (there is a chance) it's got a TON of potential: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.22-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-353616 Also a 6 MAIN FACET PATTERN. Ask if eyeclean.

They said face up will be clean but from an ange inclusion it maybe seen?? I do like this and within budget should i request images? How does this compare to the 1.07 caratone both same price range? But the 1.2 lower colour clarity?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just for your knowledge:
This is what a good crushed ice cushion looks like: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.40-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-290931

Okay? See the differences in faceting? In the contrast zones of light and dark? This facet pattern doesn't do a lot of contrast. And the differences in the movement/dance of the facets when they flash off and on with the ones I chose for you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hogster|1408344674|3734625 said:
Gypsy|1408344062|3734618 said:
If this one is eyeclean (there is a chance) it's got a TON of potential: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.22-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-353616 Also a 6 MAIN FACET PATTERN. Ask if eyeclean.

They said face up will be clean but from an ange inclusion it maybe seen?? I do like this and within budget should i request images? How does this compare to the 1.07 caratone both same price range? But the 1.2 lower colour clarity?

The 1.07 is still my favorite, but this is definitely up there in terms of faceting. When they say it might be visible at an angle what do they mean? Do THEY see it at an angle? And how far away.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just put them on hold for tonight. They should send you an email.

Then call during the day (here, I know that's hard Aussie time, but set your alarm and have the number right next to your phone) and ask them to have the gemologist review them all and tell you if they are eyeclean.

Right now it's the night shift. They aren't as capable as the day shift. Okay?

hogster

Rough_Rock

Great stuff i will get them toput the 1.07 the 1.22 and the 1.31 carat all on hold and get gemologist to check if eye clean.

If all are eye clean which of the three would you personally pick:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.22-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-353616

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.31-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-281246

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030

I know she would be impressed with the 1.3 carat to tell people but i dont want to have none white and low clarity also if that makes sense. You seem to be quite the expert an recommended on here. What do you own?

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

My engagement ring was purchased a lot time ago, in a land far way... and before I had any education about diamonds.

If I were buying now, things would be very different.

But you have to understand, I've seen a lot of diamonds compared to the average consumer. And I've seen diamonds of just about every color from D-K in different shapes and different faceting patterns (and even seen some LMNO diamonds). So I know what MY personal color tolerances are. I can tell you honestly that as long as an inclusion doesn't threaten the structural safety of a diamond and I can't see it, I don't care about it. So I'd happily go down to eyeclean SI. Color is a little harder. In a modern cushion? One of my girlfriends (also a pricescope) has a gorgeous 8 main cushion that is a J and I constantly want to steal it. And it's not the first J cushion I've wanted to run off to Tahiti with.

As for which one I'd pick-- it really depends on the ASETs. I need to see how they all perform. That's what the ASET is for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results