shape
carat
color
clarity

New Alexandrite Pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Hoping against hope I finally figured out how to put in smaller pictures. Stats: 2.09ct, oval step cut. The green is so difficult to photograph.

alexis1.jpg

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!! It worked! Ok, here is the harder to photo one.

alexis2.jpg

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Just can''t get it to photograph. The stone is much more green than it is showing up on film...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shaun it looks gorgeous! I'd love to see the green!

It's virtually impossible to photograph the green - Alex's are camera shy. I get about 1 picture in 1000 to show the green! Try photographing in daylight, from further away than you would normally (i.e. not macro) and then cropping in. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't! If you find the secret, please share it!

What are your plans for that lovely?

ETA is it Indian or Brazilian?

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Once the appraisal is done, it will be shipped to GIA for origin. Then, into a ring
emteeth.gif
At this point it is simple certified natural, and untreated alexandrite.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the green a blueish teal green? Who's the cert from?

ETA can I have the ring???!!!!!
31.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I personally don''t see any blue tone. It is a deep forest green to my eye. The stone was certified by GIT. They only give measurement, and id result of Natural chrysoberyl (alexandrite). I''m sending it to GIA for an origin designation, as prices for these stones varies from region to region. I''m going to try and get one to turn out, will post if I can lol.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the photos!

Sounds like it''s probably Indian in origin from your description then. Yummy! I''ll be interested to hear what the GIA say. I''m not sure that locality affects price actually (unless of course it was Russian!) as its colour change and clarity that make the bucks!

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
well, let''s see how green this one is lol

greenalex.jpg

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
grief lol! oh well, here''s another red. looks really red in candlelight, but too hard to get a picture lol!

red alex.jpg

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
another attempt at green lol

oyholymoly.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shaun - have you been trying all night? lol

Bless your heart! Give up hun. With a good Alex, it''s almost impossible to photograph the green soooooooo, take heart that you''ve got a great one!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing alexandrite!! WOW!!
30.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Amazing color changes!! I love the shift from pink, blue and purple. And you haven''t even captured the green yet. Congrats on a great find!

Now if a diamond can change in all those colors.....
27.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Well not ALL night, but sort of lol! Must have taken over 50 pictures of her so far. I don''t have any children, so my stones are a bit like my babies lol! Gonna hurt when I send it off to GIA, and then get the ring done
emcry.gif
Hate having them away from home for so long lol!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2009 2:49:59 PM
Author: shaunrice
Well not ALL night, but sort of lol! Must have taken over 50 pictures of her so far. I don''t have any children, so my stones are a bit like my babies lol! Gonna hurt when I send it off to GIA, and then get the ring done
emcry.gif
Hate having them away from home for so long lol!
Awwww she''ll soon be back home and then you can take her everywhere with you.
2.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
ok, one final attempt to get the green to come out lol!

goodgriefihopeitsgreen.jpg

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I surrender to mother nature...

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
May I ask how you are going to set this beauty?

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Depending upon the appraisal (I should get tomorrow)... I had a horrid experience with my last custom piece. The first time it was made, they make it in 14k instead of 18k, and chipped some of my rubies. The second time, they chipped more rubies, AND they polished the facets off the top of 6/12 of them. So... I am extemely nervous about having this stone set by anyone who doesn''t insure their work against mistakes like that. If it values at what I have estimated, I think the only safe way to go is some sort of setting that will hold the alex by prongs. As I am a man, I find it difficult finding settings with prongs that are attractive, and not too feminine. But I am terrified of my baby getting broken, chipped etc in a bezel setting. I will start a new post once I have her back tomorrow, and ask for some suggestions. This setting is something I love, but again, I''m terrified of damage. But in a perfect world, this is my pick
30.gif

potentialring.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 11:06:51 PM
Author: shaunrice
Depending upon the appraisal (I should get tomorrow)... I had a horrid experience with my last custom piece. The first time it was made, they make it in 14k instead of 18k, and chipped some of my rubies. The second time, they chipped more rubies, AND they polished the facets off the top of 6/12 of them. So... I am extemely nervous about having this stone set by anyone who doesn''t insure their work against mistakes like that. If it values at what I have estimated, I think the only safe way to go is some sort of setting that will hold the alex by prongs. As I am a man, I find it difficult finding settings with prongs that are attractive, and not too feminine. But I am terrified of my baby getting broken, chipped etc in a bezel setting. I will start a new post once I have her back tomorrow, and ask for some suggestions. This setting is something I love, but again, I''m terrified of damage. But in a perfect world, this is my pick
30.gif

I like it! It''s substantial enough that it looks masculine but not too bulky. Sorry about your bad experience with your previous jeweler.

I notice your reference to your alexandrite as "her". Did you by any chance give her a name?
37.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Alexis LOL!!! Am I the only one to name his babies? omg! lol!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a cool stone! I know nothing about them, but what a color shift! Since I''m doing a ring for my daughter, I couldn''t help but think this stone would be VERY convenient for those who have a boy and a girl because it shifts from a girl color to a boy one!

Thanks for sharing!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
How funny! I just posted some pictures of "Big Mamma" too LOL!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shaun - please don''t use that jeweller to set Alexis. She''s too precious for that and in all honesty if they have a habit of chipping your gemstones, no amount of insurance will compensate if they do it to her.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Those are beautiful
30.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Alexis is being appraised and will most likely spend the weekend away from home
emotion-41.gif
Why am I so OCD about my gems lol! When I get her back, I''ll need help for a ring.

alexisalmostgreengrrrrr.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow what a beatiful stone. I wouldn''t want it out of my sight too long either. Very nice.

Lisa

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Ok, time for a setting hunt... As Alexis is extremely valuable, what is the safest way to set her in a man''s ring? I am also interested in surrounding her with 3mm round brilliant diamonds... Any ideas where I can start searching???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results