shape
carat
color
clarity

nervous as heck...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sitting here totally ready to make this ring and I am so nervous about it! Everyone here is so wonderful (and I''m including those who aren''t technically here like leon mege, mark morrell, etc.) and I''m having a tough time choosing who I should go with. My husband wants this project done like 3 months ago so I''m kinda leaning toward having WF do it but I''m nervous about it being rushed and not being happy with it and I''m VERY nervous about talking to a salesperson about it because I don''t want stuff lost in translation so to speak. I also don''t know if some parts of it might be out of their safety box.... A part of me thinks I should go back to greenlake and just have a new designer but I dunno.... I think MM would do a fantastic job - exactly what I want for my head - but I don''t think I can put *another* 6 months into waiting LOL Not to mention I really want white gold and not platinum. I think I''m too much of a control freak to approach LM about this... and I''m really nervous about this. And I''m also not sure how to compile my thoughts into something concise and easy to comprehend. My husband thinks I should just go back to the local jeweler but I''ve lost faith that they can produce something of the caliber that I''m hoping for. I think I should work with someone who can flesh it out in CAD first, maybe prelim sketches first, I dunno... I''m also torn between really getting everyone here involved in every step along the way (which could backfire in that I become annoying lol) or just surprising you all in the end with the finished result LOL Day after day pass by and I just sit on this stone and really want it to be done. I still take beautiful pics of my stone but I feel like such a dork posting yet more pics of a stone in an ugly tweezer setting LOL

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woman...just. get. it. done. MOVE.

And get thee quickly to the SMTR forum.

Chop chop!

9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 1:42:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Woman...just. get. it. done. MOVE.

And get thee quickly to the SMTR forum.

Chop chop!

9.gif
bahahaha yes, that is the whole point of this!!! What jeweler do you think would be best? any thoughts on that?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ve answered your own question...you don''t want to wait for MM and you are too much of a control freak for LM. Let WF do it. You can''t be freaked out to talk to a salesperson, because at some point, you''re gonna have to.

Someone here once did a great, concise, CLEAR powerpoint they handed off to the jewelry maker. Maybe you can start with that. Seriously, you need to take a deep breath and just jump in. That tweezer/ring holder thing is going to break before you get this ring done at this rate.

And I say all this in the nicest way.
2.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I SOOOOOOOO feel for ya! I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself about this project and letting your hubby's impatience stress you out. It's so personal, so much money, you've waited your whole marriage for this ring, etc. Try to break the project down so it isn't so overwhelming.

Sketch out what you want, along with your "want list" and "don't want list", take it to three of your best pick jewelers and see who makes you feel the most confident in their ability to do it to your specs, and drop of that diamond, babeeee!

I wanna see it done, too.
9.gif

ETA: You and TravelingGal were posting while I was writing this. Don't you have any other local jewelers who do custome work? I have no idea where you are.... I do think WF would do a good job. I've also heard rave reviews about Quest jewlers in Washington, D.C.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 1:50:33 PM
You''ve answered your own question...you don''t want to wait for MM and you are too much of a control freak for LM. Let WF do it. You can''t be freaked out to talk to a salesperson, because at some point, you''re gonna have to.

Someone here once did a great, concise, CLEAR powerpoint they handed off to the jewelry maker. Maybe you can start with that. Seriously, you need to take a deep breath and just jump in. That tweezer/ring holder thing is going to break before you get this ring done at this rate.

2.gif
agreed!

seriously, the new communicator tool makes the custom process sooooo easy.
best of luck cehra. and you absolutely need to get that baby out of that tweezer thing!
23.gif

git ''er done!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif
LMAO!!! yeah I know - tough sweet love ;-)

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra,

I feel for you. The setting is the hardest part, between knowing what you want and being able to get that down on "paper" and then realized is a scary thing. But if you take it one step at a time and not allow the whole process to overwhelm you, it might be easier.

I had a local jeweler, Bostonian Jeweler who was recommended by our appraiser Jeff Averbook show me their computer CAD generated process and it was TOTALLY cool !!! If we had been able to afford the extra cost, we would have gone with that option. If you are working with a designer who has access to CAD, you can send ideas back and forth and keep "working" on flushing it out as you see the ring take shape before your eyes.

No matter who you choose, a custom design is a work in progress and keep in mind that as long as you are actively involved in every step, it should work out GREAT and exactly how you picture it. Good Luck and keep us updated.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Talk to Wink, Ocean can do anything you want to do.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 2:01:16 PM
Author: belle
agreed!

seriously, the new communicator tool makes the custom process sooooo easy.
best of luck cehra. and you absolutely need to get that baby out of that tweezer thing!
23.gif

git ''er done!
9.gif

cehra, this may be blasphemous to say, but if you feel you can''t convey what you want, have you considered a simpler setting?

I agree though, talking on the communicator may help, but if not, just a thought...

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 1:37:28 PM
Author:Cehrabehra
I''m sitting here totally ready to make this ring and I am so nervous about it! Everyone here is so wonderful (and I''m including those who aren''t technically here like leon mege, mark morrell, etc.) and I''m having a tough time choosing who I should go with. My husband wants this project done like 3 months ago so I''m kinda leaning toward having WF do it but I''m nervous about it being rushed and not being happy with it and I''m VERY nervous about talking to a salesperson about it because I don''t want stuff lost in translation so to speak. I also don''t know if some parts of it might be out of their safety box.... A part of me thinks I should go back to greenlake and just have a new designer but I dunno.... I think MM would do a fantastic job - exactly what I want for my head - but I don''t think I can put *another* 6 months into waiting LOL Not to mention I really want white gold and not platinum. I think I''m too much of a control freak to approach LM about this... and I''m really nervous about this. And I''m also not sure how to compile my thoughts into something concise and easy to comprehend. My husband thinks I should just go back to the local jeweler but I''ve lost faith that they can produce something of the caliber that I''m hoping for. I think I should work with someone who can flesh it out in CAD first, maybe prelim sketches first, I dunno... I''m also torn between really getting everyone here involved in every step along the way (which could backfire in that I become annoying lol) or just surprising you all in the end with the finished result LOL Day after day pass by and I just sit on this stone and really want it to be done. I still take beautiful pics of my stone but I feel like such a dork posting yet more pics of a stone in an ugly tweezer setting LOL
whatever you choose you have to choose, take a deep breath and jump in. winding yourself up about controllilng the perfection of the steps along the process can''t be a healthy thing for you. Make an educated choice, don''t look back and you''ll deal with the future in the future. besides, life''s much more exciting that way ;-) my personal thoughts and 2 cents only

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d consider Maytal Hoffman ... here''s why: she''s talented & Beaudry-trained, probably has fewer clients & more time to work one on one as she builds her portfolio. It might MEAN more to her than one of a ton that Leon or Mark or Whiteflash do. That''s just a guess though. You''d have to speak with her & see if you two connect.

2nd choice -- Leon. Just "woman up" & talk to him. If you don''t "connect" then ...

You can either wait for Mark ... try Quest in VA & see if you connect w/anyone there.

Nothing against Whiteflash ... I love a lot of their custom stuff ... I just don''t think they''d be a good match for YOU. JMO.
1.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra, may I ask where you live?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 2:19:17 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''d consider Maytal Hoffman ... here''s why: she''s talented & Beaudry-trained, probably has fewer clients & more time to work one on one as she builds her portfolio. It might MEAN more to her than one of a ton that Leon or Mark or Whiteflash do. That''s just a guess though. You''d have to speak with her & see if you two connect.

2nd choice -- Leon. Just ''woman up'' & talk to him. If you don''t ''connect'' then ...

You can either wait for Mark ... try Quest in VA & see if you connect w/anyone there.

Nothing against Whiteflash ... I love a lot of their custom stuff ... I just don''t think they''d be a good match for YOU. JMO.
1.gif
I like what you''re saying... does she do stuff other than beaudry type stuff? Cause the ring I''m doing is actually probably more like yours than anyone else''s here... so I definitely value your advice on this!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back when I talked to her, she told me she could make anything. She is just often asked to make the Beaudry style rings since people know she can. But I haven''t heard whether anyone has talked to her lately.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d say Maytal Hoffman for the same reasons Deco mentioned, or Quest because from the stories here, they seem to be excellent at making the sure the customer is happy, i.e. remaking a ring if it''s not right in the end. The CADs and waxes they use would also help a great deal. I wouldn''t hesitate to go with Quest.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maytal didn''t do my ring - mine''s a Franken-Baby! But if I was gonna start over on something new I think I''d contact her about it first ... I did, briefly, to get a quote on a men''s band - much like Ally''s FI''s band.
1.gif

But hey !!!

Didn''t some designer start doing a design very similar to what you were doing custom 1/2 way through your last attempt?? I could have sworn something like that happened?? Was it a Michael B or something ..

That''s the other thing I might suggest ... get a high-end designer setting ... like a Michael B or something from Pearlmans

Custom isn''t for everyone! And stuff does go wrong ... & even when it doesn''t go wrong it might not be what you envisioned in your head - or appeal to you as much in *reality* as it did in your head!

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock

2.gif

Ditto!!!!

Cehra, easy for me to say
2.gif
, but DO IT. What''s the worst thing that can happen? The world won''t end.

I vote for using a vendor who is relatively fast--less time to dwell on every little thing.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra: Honey, I''ve been waiting for this project to get underway like YESTURDAY! I haven''t followed all the threads so I don''t even know what you want! How about you start a thread will a bunch of pictures of the stuff you are thinking of?

I loved working with Maytal Hoftman. I would go to her again in a heartbeat. The work on my guy''s band, the miligrain, leafy things on the side is top notch, exact same quality as Leon. She''s really, really easy to work with. SO SWEET. Basically you tell her what you want, and she''s super open to all suggestions. And her prices are BEYOND reasonable comparitively speaking (of course)

For me anyways Leon was easy to work with (had a few niggles after the project was complete) BUT the actual getting it done was a snap. I think I had a 10 minute conversation with him and I got exactly what I wanted. But the difference here is I wanted a Leon ring. Trusted him 100% to produce something beautiful. I just said "no gallery, thinest band and halo possible, no airline" I have heard from others that he can be tougher to work with if you are a control freak in the sense that if he doesn''t think it will look good, he will tell you so. He''s got a set idea of asthetics, proportions etc. but luckily for him, his sens of design is excellent.

Keep us updated!

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
So the stone you had in and out of the holder thingy in the last 6 months that hasn`t chipped yet may just finally find a home.
1.gif

What have you got locally as regards jewellers that have a workshop in house?
You don`t need to go to "name" places to get good work,there are loads of as proficient craftspeople around just that they are not in or from money to name themselves.
Best of luck whatever you decide ,but get that stone set and wear it with pride and soooooooon!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 2:19:17 PM
Author: decodelighted
I'd consider Maytal Hoffman ... here's why: she's talented & Beaudry-trained, probably has fewer clients & more time to work one on one as she builds her portfolio. It might MEAN more to her than one of a ton that Leon or Mark or Whiteflash do. That's just a guess though. You'd have to speak with her & see if you two connect.

2nd choice -- Leon. Just 'woman up' & talk to him. If you don't 'connect' then ...

Nothing against Whiteflash ... I love a lot of their custom stuff ... I just don't think they'd be a good match for YOU. JMO.
1.gif

I agree with deco. I'd try Maytal. I don't think Leon will work with WG and may not be the best fit for you if you have a bunch of opinions. nothing against WF for me either but they do cast their rings where maytal and leon are handmade which I'd prefer for a custom peice.

ETA: I also had a very good custom experience with Quest and they are very customer service oriented. they do the cads/cam, will take pics along the way if you want and if you aren't completely happy they will remake the ring. their prices are very, very good too.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go with WF, personally. And honestly, if for whatever reason it isn''t exactly what you wanted, it still seems better to me than not having any ring! :) You have a beautiful stone and it just seems like a waste not to have a ring to show it off in!

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
From someone who took over 6 months quietly compiling and refining a design in my mind I know how frustrating it is to have a loose stone that you cannot wear safely. From a design standpoint, I have found that communicating with the jewelers with whom I have worked (4 custom jobs in total) that face to face was the most reliable for getting my point across. I also happen to have a big photo library of design elements that I was able to draw from to make things clearer. I found that working with CADs to be very helpful and also good to allay my fears about being misunderstood. Method of fabrication is somewhat less important to me, since honestly I prefer perfect lines which cast pieces can acheive a bit more easily.

Since you already had a lackluster experience with your local jeweler, I would reconsider Greenslake since their pieces exude refined quality and you can be more in control with physical proximity. However I have gotten the sense that Quest is very good about creating CADS in their design process so that can also be a route by which you can create something that satisfies your desire. Whatever you choose, I am sure that your diamond will get its long deserved throne
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cehra,

any more thoughts on the direction for your setting?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra:

The natives appear to be getting restless....
6.gif

Can you throw us a bone? or maybe some cake?

We wouldn''t want a revolution on our hands LOL!
2.gif

Keep the faith, you''ll know when you find the right designer, you''ll just click.

Just make sure that we are the FIRST TO KNOW!
1.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Im all the way with you on this one..Nervous also..Looking , searching and debating..IF you find something more definite please do share it with us..You will get there I know..just be patient and it will " spark"

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take a closer look and greenlake. Their rings look stunning!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif
Admin asked me to put my ppt thread in FAQ, here''s the link:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ppt-slides-for-a-custom-wedding-band.54948/

It definitely made the communication process very simple and quick!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 3:23:54 AM
Author: kcoursolle

2.gif
Admin asked me to put my ppt thread in FAQ, here''s the link:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ppt-slides-for-a-custom-wedding-band.54948/

It definitely made the communication process very simple and quick!
Thank you again kcoursolle, you did your legwork!

Hey Chehra, not to thread-jack Gypsys thread i picked up your picture and made one of the adjustments to the wax as i understood it.
Let me know is it''s right one, should be done to higher extend or it''s not what you meant and i wil re-ajust it more.

What i meant before though is i don''t think your prongs should be made thru wax proses, maybe hand work will do better.

Behraaaah.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results