shape
carat
color
clarity

Needle / feather on the girdle?

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
I came across a diamond that had a needle touching the girdle in the pavilion area according to the GIA report. It was a small straight line and the word "needle" was listed.

Could these actually be a feather? I am asking because I never saw a needle touch the edge of the girdle like that in a plot.

If it actually is indeed a needle, can it be a durability issue if it is on the girdle?

Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I came across a diamond that had a needle touching the girdle in the pavilion area according to the GIA report. It was a small straight line and the word "needle" was listed.

Could these actually be a feather? I am asking because I never saw a needle touch the edge of the girdle like that in a plot.

If it actually is indeed a needle, can it be a durability issue if it is on the girdle?

Thanks
pavilion side is as safe as safe can be

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Okay so a needle on the girdle is not a durability problem?

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Can someone please comment or provide an answer to my question about needles? I apologize for rushing things, but the jewelry store I am speaking with is only holding the diamond in question until tomorrow.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can someone please comment or provide an answer to my question about needles? I apologize for rushing things, but the jewelry store I am speaking with is only holding the diamond in question until tomorrow.

Give us certificate or more plain information - not hypotheticals

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Tuxtax

will you please upload a copy of the gia certificate so that we may better help determine if a "needle on the girdle" will pose a durability issue???

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general I do not worry about needles from a durability standpoint but as Garry said if you want an answer about a specific diamond then we need more info.

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Actually, the jewelry store refused to give out the certificate because they also said they are a distributor so they can't do that. But just on the needles themselves, there are two, but one of them actually touches the edge / girdle according to the plot, and they are both on the pavilion side. I didn't see any needles on the top view of the plot. Sorry for not providing more information.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
do you have the gia number?? that way you can, at the very least, look it up...

hmmmm, questionable business practice for a vendor to refuse a potential client that has placed a diamond on hold, a gia certificate...

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
No, they didn't let me take a picture, I didn't understand the reason, something like if someone takes the GIA number then they can negotiate a lower price at a different store and say they found a similar diamond at a lower price? This is a diamond distributor that supplies diamonds to other stores, but the same company has retail locations.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
No, they didn't let me take a picture, I didn't understand the reason, something like if someone takes the GIA number then they can negotiate a lower price at a different store and say they found a similar diamond at a lower price? This is a diamond distributor that supplies diamonds to other stores, but the same company has retail locations.

again, i find it very questionable ...

if i were in your position, and i was denied and refused a gia cert. i would go elsewhere to purchase my diamond.

without that information, i will hypothesize and say, generally, i don't believe a feather on or at the girdle to compromise durability. yes, that is my opinion

what is the vendor's return policy?? if there is even one in place ...

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
No... the guy did show me the GIA report, he just did not allow me to make a copy, maybe it is the business practice a diamond supplier does? He said in their retail locations they can give out the GIA number, and that is true because I went to their retail locations and got the numbers. It is a well known local jewelry store since 1910

And my question is about needles not feathers... can someone say something about needles on the girdle???

And now maybe comment about business practices in the diamond industry?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No... the guy did show me the GIA report, he just did not allow me to make a copy, maybe it is the business practice a diamond supplier does? He said in their retail locations they can give out the GIA number, and that is true because I went to their retail locations and got the numbers. It is a well known local jewelry store since 1910

And my question is about needles not feathers... can someone say something about needles on the girdle???

And now maybe comment about business practices in the diamond industry?

I believe your answer is, generally needles on the girdle are not a cause for concern, particularly on the pavilion. BUT without a copy of the report showing the clarity grade, size location, etc., it is IMPOSSIBLE to say with any degree of certainty.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
you are giving us absolutely NOTHING solid to go by. NO GIA CERTIFICATE. NO GIA NUMBER.

whilst, repeatedly asking questions requiring a speculative answer.

why don't you try to REREAD and reference the title of your thread??!! NEEDLE/FEATHER

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results