shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help with an online purchase: Cushion Cut Halo

dman34

Rough_Rock
I'm currently looking to purchase a cushion cut engagement ring for my girlfriend. She would really like something similar to the Harry Winston Micropave as she really likes the more dainty, feminine look of the ring.

I've been looking online and it's quite daunting to say the least. I've never made an online purchase of this magnitude or importance so I want to make sure that I'm happy and she's happy when all is said and done .....mostly she ;))

With that said, I'm really glad that I've found this site!

I'm wanting the center stone to be around 1 carat. Larger would be nice but looking around I'd probably be in tough to find a bigger stone within my budget. i'd also like the stone to have no visible inclusions when looking at it from the above. G/H color should be good as I hear that there isn't much difference between D-H. I guess I'd just like it to sparkle as much as possible! I hear there are different types of cushions and I'm hoping some of you could help me figure out which one would be the best choice for what I'm looking for. For the setting I'd prefer white gold or platinum. My budget is $7000 (preferably slightly under) including the setting.

I've been in contact with a dealer who has a ring in stock that basically matches exactly what I'm looking for. The only issue I see is that it's an SI2 center stone. He has however assured me that it is eye clear. I guess I would just like to know if there is anything else I should ask him before committing to make the purchase? This dealer does provide a 7 day satisfaction guarantee so returning is an option but this is something I would prefer to avoid if at all possible. 7 days does not give me much time either!

Here is the link to the ring that I'm currently considering, any feedback?
http://www.markbroumand.com/1.60ct-cushion-cut-diamond-engagement-anniversary-ring-3199-1d5174489/

Very interested in hearing other suggestions though. I obviously need some guidance here! Thanks very much in advance!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need some help with an online purchase: Cushion Cut Hal

dman34|1372424587|3473643 said:
...similar to the Harry Winston Micropave as she really likes the more dainty, feminine look of the ring.

...around 1 carat.

...no visible inclusions when looking at it from the above.

G/H color...

I'd prefer white gold or platinum.

My budget is $7000 (preferably slightly under) including the setting.

Hi dman34! I'm definitely no cushion expert, but I would try to use as much of the budget toward the diamond as I could... I thought these looked nice. :)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-26083 $4620

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-26084 $4350 (I like the faceting & it faces up slightly larger) :love:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.02-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-25993 $4630 (if it's eye-clean

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-169961 $4670 (I like the faceting on this one as well!)

Settings:
Would she be into a double halo? :naughty:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...k-double-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17845 $1925, 14K

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-diamond-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17422 $1925, 14K (in a cushion)

Maybe you could contact ERD to see what the cost would be for their version of the HW halo?? I'd definitely do 14K to keep the cost down. :))

Let us know what you decide! :wavey:

dman34

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the suggestions msop! much appreciated :twirl:

Those stones do look very nice although I'm not too crazy about the settings. My girl definitely prefers a single halo, she also likes when the center connectors are studded with diamonds like in the link I posted in my first post. I don't know, maybe its just the photo on the JA site but the halo looks quite separate from the center stone. We are tying to find a ring where they look there is minimal separation and the halo and the center almost look like one (hope I'm explaining this OK!)

How does one go about picking a cushion that will sparkle? Are there any tricks to this or things to specific things look for in the specs?

I just came across this ring in a search. It's gorgeous! Is anyone familiar with the designer? I wonder if one like this with a smaller centre stone would fall within my budget?

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SignatureSettingsPortfolio/Halo/The-Kylie-Halo-with-FishtailV/12794584_rr926M#!i=872659624&k=SqjWWRx

Thanks again msop04 :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The JbEG ring is GORGEOUS!! A lot of PS'ers recommend this vendor. Does your gf like the "crushed ice" or the more antique "chunky" look? I personally think the chunky look sparkles the most, and you could possibly get a larger stone (since you can go with a lower color - doesn't tend to look as yellow).

There are several PS'ers that are really good at picking out cushions... hopefully they will chime in! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dman34|1372433919|3473718 said:
...I'm not too crazy about the settings. The PS "pros" like to recommend Engagement Rings Direct (ERD) if you'd like something nice, but are working with a budget. I LOVE the JbEG Kylie you posted - it looks very close to the HW ring your gf likes. I don't know the price range for this setting, but it would be worth it to inquire... :love:

We are tying to find a ring where they look there is minimal separation and the halo and the center almost look like one (hope I'm explaining this OK!) Yes! I think you mean she would like little or no airline.

Hope this helps! =)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another thought... do you think your gf would go for a round with a cushion halo? She'll get the most sparkle and rounds face up larger and whiter! Best of both worlds! ;-)

I have a round with cushion halo, and I know several PS'ers do as well. Most people think I have a cushion at first glance. Also, an
OEC round would look amazing in a cushion halo.

One of the most beautiful belongs to twosanguinehearts and was made by Victor Canera... he is quite expensive, but maybe you could do something similar if she liked the round... I hope she doesn't mind me posting a couple of photos -- her ring is to die for!! :love:

Here is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ingle-cut-multi-row-pave-pic-overload.185195/

vc2_0.jpg

vc1_0.jpg

dman34

Rough_Rock

msop04|1372437616|3473762 said:
Another thought... do you think your gf would go for a round with a cushion halo? She'll get the most sparkle and rounds face up larger and whiter! Best of both worlds! ;-)

I have a round with cushion halo, and I know several PS'ers do as well. Most people think I have a cushion at first glance. Also, an
OEC round would look amazing in a cushion halo.

One of the most beautiful belongs to twosanguinehearts and was made by Victor Canera... he is quite expensive, but maybe you could do something similar if she liked the round... I hope she doesn't mind me posting a couple of photos -- her ring is to die for!! :love:

Here is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ingle-cut-multi-row-pave-pic-overload.185195/

vc2_0.jpg

vc1_0.jpg

Wow, I just showed my girlfriend this ring and you should've seen her reaction! It really is gorgeous. We both had no idea that a round diamond could have a cushion shaped halo. It totally makes it look like a cushion. Round diamonds generally sparkle more don't they? This may be the way to go.

Any recommendations on what dealers to email to inquire whether I can get something similar to this made up? With a few personal touches :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dman34|1372447735|3473873 said:
Wow, I just showed my girlfriend this ring and you should've seen her reaction! It really is gorgeous. We both had no idea that a round diamond could have a cushion shaped halo. It totally makes it look like a cushion. Round diamonds generally sparkle more don't they? This may be the way to go.

Any recommendations on what dealers to email to inquire whether I can get something similar to this made up? With a few personal touches :)

YESSSS!!! So exciting -- Now we're talkin'!! :naughty: :naughty: ...and I do think rounds sparkle more. ;)) What I love about the VC (and my ring - :halo: ) is the extra row of pave that form a little "pillow" around the halo so that there is no metal line showing... I think it softens the halo and definitely makes the cushion sit around the rounds stone nicely. However, since you gf love the HW One, she'd love either style -- WIN/WIN! :appl:

The link posted above is a good reference.

The halos that I've seen posted from ERD have been lovely. I would have another vendor make a ring similar to the Victor Canera (Emilya with Two Rows of Pave). You won't get the quality of a hand-forged setting (like VC or LM), but I do think you can achieve the look and have a nicely made ring that she'll LOVE!

Another VC design that I adore is the Anne Marie, named after the PS'er that had it commissioned. I requested a quote for this with my round, but, sadly, it was well over my budget... althought it's set with a cushion, VC said it could easily be done with a round -- her stone was almost round! You may be able to have this replicated as well. :love:
Here is the link to Anne Marie and a photo below it:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ct-oec-victor-canera-split-shank-halo.168492/

:appl: vc1_1.jpg

This is the Mimi setting from JbEG (not sure how much this runs, but it's GORG!!!):
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...a-2ct/16811401_S8zTRn#!i=1268560577&k=ZX2rKW9

I had Christopher Designs make my ring. Although I truly love it, I would probably chose a different vendor if I had it to do over again -- simply for the cost.

What I would do is find lots of photos of what you like (and don't like) and of as many angles as possible. Then, chose benches that have executed this style before and get quotes from each.

Also, the PS pros are very knowledgable and will not steer you wrong! You may want to start another thread titled something like "Help me find a Round Diamond with Cushion Halo setting" (or something like that...). Give your budget for stone and setting, and you will get really good advice! =)

I'm so excited for you!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

**the diamond in twosanguinehearts ring had been recut from a MRB to an OEC** I think either cut style would be really pretty!

For cut comparison, here are some shots of my MRB (photos taken on phone, so not so great, but...):

imag0053.jpg
mrbhalo.jpg

Please ignore the fact that it is :halo: dirrrttyyy...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dman34|1372424587|3473643 said:
I'm wanting the center stone to be around 1 carat. Larger would be nice but looking around I'd probably be in tough to find a bigger stone within my budget. i'd also like the stone to have no visible inclusions when looking at it from the above. G/H color should be good as I hear that there isn't much difference between D-H. My budget is $7000 (preferably slightly under) including the setting.

Sorry to post so much... but... :naughty:

Since rounds face up whiter than cushions, would you consider an I/J in a GIA/AGS round? I think the type setting you've chosen will allow for a lower color stone. I found this one on JA and it looks really pretty. One other positive is that it has strong blue fluorescence, so it will face up whiter. Again, sorry if I'm "jumping the gun"!! :bigsmile:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-160245

dman34

Rough_Rock

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Personally, for me, no, I would not get that cushion.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JulieN|1372886447|3476886 said:
Personally, for me, no, I would not get that cushion.

I'm with JulieN... not real crazy about the faceting on this one. If your FF wants a cushion, I think you can find one she'll like better. :halo:

Did your FF decide against a round, or is she open to either shape?

diamond_concierge

Rough_Rock
Trade

Cushion cuts have a subtle beauty that I really enjoy, but if it's sparkle you're looking for, you cannot beat the round brilliant cut. The halo will make a one carat stone appear larger. Another cut you might consider is the radiant. The edges of a radiant are not soft like in a cushion cut, but they can display a substantial sparkle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results