shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on diamonds

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Good morning/day/night.

So I asked Celine about pricematching/discount and unfortunately she couldn't do that for me.
She also gave a thorough explanation about the setting she suggested opposed to "Agnes".

"Normally I’m not a fan of the settings that don’t have the little “porté” (this is how a golsmith calls it). Let me try to explain it to you without sounding too technical."

Summary is that her setting is more "sturdy" and for Agnes to be sturdy, the prongs would have to be a bit thicker than the thin delicate prongs I would like. She also said that it's hard to see on pictures but that's all I got so I have to trust her on that one.
I also asked the Swedish Jeweller if they could bring that particular stone (0.67ct) home for me and mount it into their rings. They said that they can't buy it from this inventory and if I would buy the stone myself and let them mount it. They wont guarantee the stone because it's not "theirs".
I know the risk is small, but it makes me uncomfortable.
Of course the Swedish Jeweller offered to find me a diamond that matches but they also said that it's a very narrow range for them with my criterias. As I told them that I would only consider stones with all the pictures (Real 20x, ASET, IdealScope, H&A). And they proclaimed that all that information are for diamonds with 1.0ct and above.
And I didn't like the thought of putting you guys through all this one more round to find a new stone.

That and Celine's great service is the reason I really want to buy it from her.
Unfortunately, she's unable to price-match or discount the setting. But since I'm pretty sure that I'm going with the smaller stone, the price difference of roughly 100€ is not the whole world.

Price Summary:

0.67 H VS2 = 2770€
Setting in 18K White gold Rhodium plated = 495€
Shipping costs = 80€

Total: 3345€ -> 35k SEK.

I'm still kind of unsure about the suggested setting. It still looks a bit clumsy up top.
@bmfang The thing you mentioned about the stone clinging on to stuff (shirts, buttons etc) is what worries me.
But you all liked the setting and pointed out that the prongs would be made thinner and the stone would be lower. And of course white and shiny after rhodium treatment.

Belic

Rough_Rock
Premium
Don't settle for something that your not 100% satisfied with! You will see that ring on your beloved for the rest of your life, so make sure the ring is what you want i to be.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kvannebanne I still like the setting that Celine has offered to you very much. It is classic and beautiful and it does not sit too high off the finger. You are looking at the setting without the stone being set! I would just ask them to set the stone as low as possible in that setting. They can shave the top of the prongs and it will look great when completed. I know that you are saying that you are not concerned about the future wedding band at this time, however low set rings are difficult to pair with a band (I have had a few very low set rings) and my recommendation is definitely to go with a medium set ring, which that setting is. Seriously, don’t stress over this. The only thing that can “catch” on things and clothes are not well closed prongs. As long as they set the diamond well, all will be good. This can also be a concern for low profile rings as well btw. Lastly, medium profile does make stones appear slightly larger vs a low set ring and I think that it will complement the 0.67 H VS2 nicely. Pull the trigger, don’t overthink it ;-)

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
I hope and suspect you're right about me overthinking this. Celine is also very fond of the setting and recommends it.
I'll try to remember asking her about setting the stone as low as possible.
I asked her to reserve the setting and the 0.67 stone so that I could find out the right size.

I tricked her into trying a ring measurer but I don't fully trust it. It's one of those bands you tighten up and you see the size with a Lupe.
It's not perfectly round and the scope is also in the way up top.
Anyways it showed 49 yesterday evening.
And today afternoon after we been out for a while I took the chance to measure again on cold hands. 49 was too loose for my taste.
I imagine 48,5 would be a good average if that even exists.

Next question would be when to surprise her. 9 year anniversary day or in relation to our vacation in Santorini, Greece. Any votes?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope and suspect you're right about me overthinking this. Celine is also very fond of the setting and recommends it.
I'll try to remember asking her about setting the stone as low as possible.
I asked her to reserve the setting and the 0.67 stone so that I could find out the right size.

I tricked her into trying a ring measurer but I don't fully trust it. It's one of those bands you tighten up and you see the size with a Lupe.
It's not perfectly round and the scope is also in the way up top.
Anyways it showed 49 yesterday evening.
And today afternoon after we been out for a while I took the chance to measure again on cold hands. 49 was too loose for my taste.
I imagine 48,5 would be a good average if that even exists.

Next question would be when to surprise her. 9 year anniversary day or in relation to our vacation in Santorini, Greece. Any votes?

Having just experienced Santorini, Greece last May that would totally get my vote! The sunsets are amazing and you could totally find a cute rooftop restaurant that would overlook the sunset and do it like that (or frankly any way there would be amazing!) - my favorite was Melitini in Oia but I'm sure there are many more!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are heading to Santorini, why not pop the question there?!? Great location.

Re: ring size, does she have any other rings? If so, quietly sneak one of them away and measure the inside diameter and see whether it concurs with the 49mm measurement that you did. Not quite exactly the same as taking her to a jeweller and getting her to try on rings there to get her actual size, but at least it keeps this somewhat secret (though given your past questions to her recently, it would not surprise me if she has already cottoned on to this happening soon).

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Well a couple of reasons.
1. I suck at keeping secrets. I'm probably going to receive the ring somewhere in June. It'll be 1,5 months roughly where I have to store the ring. And from what I see in videos the package with certificate and CBI box is pretty big. But I will have to find a way to hide it either way so.
2. How do you get through the airport security with a diamond ring? Can I have it in the hand luggage? Dangerous because she usually packs our bags :D
Better if I can keep it on me. What if security wants me to remove it from my body?

I'm pretty sure she doesn't expect this happening now this year. I've been witty, atleast I think so, with the questions.
I promised her to put a ring on it before she turned 30. She's 27. So I've been asking questions in a joking matter. Like give me the info so I can make a decision 2020. I don't want to ask you when I'm actually buying it because it'll ruin the surprise ...
We'll now afterwards if she suspected it, but I don't think so.

Anyways she does have rings but none of them on the ring finger. I think she reserves the ring finger for the real deal.
Ring that fits her pointy finger was 50 at night time though. Guessing it would be 49 when hands are cold.
Is the difference between those fingers only 1 mm in circumference? That's like 0,3 mm in diameter. Small difference.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
A couple of more questions guys.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9346/detail.htm

The 0.67ct stone. AGS report 9346.
When inserted into the American Gem Society to verify I get this:

ID: 9346
This is not a valid AGS Laboratories
document identification number.

Is this normal?

I know it has the CBI-Stamp on it but should I worry about the attributes not being in the "correct range" of H&A diamonds?

Depth 60.9 % (61-62.5) NOT OK?
Table 57.2 % (54-57) NOT OK?
Crown height 34.5 (34-35) OK
Pavilion depth 40.7 (40.6-41) OK

I've been looking at these criterias:

https://yourdiamondteacher.com/reviews/james-allen-diamonds/true-hearts-signature/

I understand if the criterias just helps us to sort out the "most" of the "bad" diamonds.
We don't miss the criterias by a lot but I thought heck. We wrote 100 posts so why not be totally sure :razz:.

Sorry if it's bothersome!

Also Celine replied and told me she was holding the setting and stone till Monday. So that's nice.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Kvannebanne

Re: depth and table, my search criteria extends from the following:

Table: 53-58%
Depth: 60.3-62.5%

So the 0.67 fits within my preferred search specs.

As for your stone: the link from HPD for the same stone is here (the listing shows it as being on hold, for you!):
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9346

The AGS grading report number is 104095701011

The inclusion plot looks good on the lab report as do the other images (comp generated ASET by AGS matches up with actual ASET image). I have said my piece about optical symmetry on this stone before compared to the other two stones, but I am splitting hairs about that plus the other two stones will blow your budget even more than the Riksbank has done be devaluing the krona.

I would say “pull the trigger”. It’s a beautiful stone and the setting will be customised to highlight the stone.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
@Kvannebanne

Re: depth and table, my search criteria extends from the following:

Table: 53-58%
Depth: 60.3-62.5%

So the 0.67 fits within my preferred search specs.

As for your stone: the link from HPD for the same stone is here (the listing shows it as being on hold, for you!):
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9346

The AGS grading report number is 104095701011

The inclusion plot looks good on the lab report as do the other images (comp generated ASET by AGS matches up with actual ASET image). I have said my piece about optical symmetry on this stone before compared to the other two stones, but I am splitting hairs about that plus the other two stones will blow your budget even more than the Riksbank has done be devaluing the krona.

I would say “pull the trigger”. It’s a beautiful stone and the setting will be customised to highlight the stone.

Agreed, the stone looks great and it'll be a solid performer.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, the diamond is amazing and within the ideal range, no cause for any concerns there!

Regarding keeping things a surprise and possibly proposing in Santorini. First, you should have insurance on the ring and make sure that it will cover any potential loss outside of the country (it should). You might have to keep a jacket on you and store it there. I wouldn’t go through the security detectors with it. Also, I would make sure to propose within the first couple of days of your vacation so that you don’t stress over it and so that you both can enjoy your engagement! However, I will say that there is also nothing wrong with proposing beforehand. Do what you think is mostly “you” as a couple ;-)

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Alright I sent an email to Celine yesterday asking some final questions.
I wanted to make sure of some of the things you guys have recommended.

Thinner and delicate claws.
Lowest possible placing of the stone
Engraving. Don't know if I dare to engrave something since it might need resizing?

I think I'm going to pop it up on the anniversary. I know Santorini would be perfect but I feel too much can go wrong with the airport security and such.
And now the most important thing is the size. I think I 48 or even 48.5 if it exists is the perfect size.
We measured her finger and found 49 during nights with warm hands. 48 when cold and it's more often cold than warm here in Sweden :razz:.
During night with warm fingers, 48 was easy to put on too. But harder to remove.

I'm pretty sure 48 is right here.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hi all, hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Just an update. We got some more reliable ring measurers. The plastic rings.
I trust them more and I also verified some of them with a regular ruler and found that the inside diameter was correct.
So it seems 49 is the size that fits.
But when the hands were warm in the morning 49 was OK to put in but hard to remove. Whereas 50 is too loose when fingers were cold.
Damn this is hard. 49?
Oh and lucky we got these because 48 is impossible to put on.

I want to engrave the ring but I don't know if I dare to if the size isn't 100% correct.
What to do?!

Also I know it seems like it's impossible that she doesn't suspect anything but I really think she doesn't.
I've made it a "fun" thing just to get correct input in good time so I won't have to ask and ruin the surprise 1-2 years from now.

We'll know when she gets it, I guess.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Just an update. We got some more reliable ring measurers. The plastic rings.
I trust them more and I also verified some of them with a regular ruler and found that the inside diameter was correct.
So it seems 49 is the size that fits.
But when the hands were warm in the morning 49 was OK to put in but hard to remove. Whereas 50 is too loose when fingers were cold.
Damn this is hard. 49?
Oh and lucky we got these because 48 is impossible to put on.

I want to engrave the ring but I don't know if I dare to if the size isn't 100% correct.
What to do?!

Also I know it seems like it's impossible that she doesn't suspect anything but I really think she doesn't.
I've made it a "fun" thing just to get correct input in good time so I won't have to ask and ruin the surprise 1-2 years from now.

We'll know when she gets it, I guess.
Its hard. Fingers change size, metal (at least thick enough metal) does not. My opinion is to fit the fingers when hot out. A tight ring is never comfortable. She can always add a sizing bridge (below is one type). I personally add a few little bands in the winter. You can select 49.5 and have them engrave the upper shoulders highlighted below (so if you get it resized, the bottom is clear).

upload_2018-5-12_10-28-31.png

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Haha this is getting ridiculous.

We measured again in the evening and 49 was too tight.
It was "ok" to put on but nearly impossible to remove.
If I'm correct what you're saying is that we should go after the biggest state of her finger?
Which means it'll be loose when cold? Assuming no sizing bridge.
Or should 49.5 be a good average fit?

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I personally would do 50 with a bridge or sizing beads. A wedding band will likely tighten things up as well as thicker rings fit more tightly. Too tight rings are claustrophobic for me. Summer will affect her sizing as well.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hmm, I'm looking at 49.5 right now but I'm not totally sure.
Fact is that I was totally wrong thinking she was a 4 or below in the beginning.

It's just confirming the size and engraving now.
The order is confirmed by Celine, so it's decided. The 0.67ct H VS2 with the suggested setting in plated 18K White gold.

I will of course update with pictures when we get there. But I can't thank you guys enough for helping me through this jungle. I think both of us will be happy that I found PriceScope and did the extra mile in research.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great update. You are so sweet to want the size perfect. I think you can throw a dart on a board at this point! But, it is generally easier to snug a slightly loose ring vs. ease a slightly tight.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
I asked Celine and let her take the final decision.
She said that she would go for 49.5 so that was decided.
I was leaning toward that size aswell. Sweden is mostly cold so I guess it'll fit the bigger part of the year.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excellent stuff. Am looking forward to seeing the final ring.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hiya guys!

Not much for an update but better than nothing, I think?

I sent an e-mail to Celine 2 days ago (Tuesday) and asked if the stone had arrived yet.
As she told me Paul said that it would arrive on Tuesday latest.
She replied that the stone had not arrived yet but she'll keep me posted.

I'm in no hurry and I also told her to keep it a while longer before sending it so that I can figure out where to hide it etc.
She said that she could probably send it on Monday 28th of May. But I postponed it to 11th of June.

Hopefully she'll send some pictures soon of the results!

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I received the ring today and it looks absolutely stunning.
I'm no expert by any means but yeah, I haven't seen a stone in real life that sparkles like this one.
Maybe I'm biased because of all the stuff about CBI etc.

Problem I got now is that there's a 14 day-return policy and I'm not revealing this until next month, which is more than 14 days after I've received it.

I sent a mail to Celine about it, let's see what she says.
The shipping date was discussed between me and Celine and she would actually send it a week ago. But I wished for it to arrive this week so she tweaked that a bit for me.

I think you all know what I feel about the experience with Celine and Fortrez.
But I need to say it again. Celine has been wonderful with her service and so professional. Payment, shipping and mail-answering have been spot on.
She even followed the package and kept an eye on it until the end.

Summary:
If anyone reads this thread in the future while looking for "The Ring". And you live inside the EU and want a hassle-free experience getting top-of-the-notch diamonds.

Celine Gouwy of Fortrez paired with the experts here on PriceScope is a guaranteed way to go. Definitely!

I really didn't wanna show the ring to anyone else before I showed it to her. But since this ring wouldn't happen without you guys. And this goes without saying, don't reveal my secret!
Here you go (it's on my pinky-finger, God I hope it fits her ring-finger perfectly):

Littlefinger.jpg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Kvannebanne , so glad to see that the ring is finished. Looks gorgeous. Me thinks Celine and the team at Fortrez did a good job!

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys!

It'll be fun to show her this thread of 100+ posts and the 60+ e-mails with Celine.
She'll know that there was hard work and thinking involved in this :lol:

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hiya guys!

The day has finally arrived. It's happening today, on our 9 year anniversary.
The weather could be better and I don't think it'll change to sunny but you never know.
I'll try to post later tonight when it's all done, hopefully with a picture of her hand with the ring.

Laters!

IssyBelle

Rough_Rock
Premium
Good luck
Can’t wait to see some hand shots later

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

It all went smoothly and she said yes.
As I've said before, I or should I say WE, can't thank you enough for all of your help.
The ring looks stunning and she genuinly adores it. And she should, because it sparkles like damn!

1 small "issue" is that when I put it on her it seemed a tad bit loose. It wouldn't fall off of her finger or anything. It's just a bit loose. So I think I'm gonna have to ask Celine for some advice.
Maybe she's got a simple solution with sizing beads like you guys mentioned.

Here are some pictures of the ring, on the hand it should be on ;)2
upload_2018-7-17_21-6-26.png
upload_2018-7-17_21-6-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_21-5-52.png
    upload_2018-7-17_21-5-52.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 16
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results