carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on diamonds

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi bmfang,

That's a great idea. I will contact Fortrez and see what my options are.
I actually checked the Finnish dealer at first. But they had no English option on their website.
I think you're familiar with the fact that our languages are not at all related.

So Belgium seems the way to go and of course their VAT is the lowest amongst the dealers.

My Finnish is limited to... sauna. And Marimekko. And Suomi. My Swedish is much better than Finnish.

I was searching their website for an English option as well to no avail. I’m sure that if you called them up, the proprietor of that shop would be likely to speak English.

Let us know how you get on with Fortrez. Is 4K Euro inclusive of VAT for stone and setting or just stone alone? I can scour the HPD inventory list for something in that price range (after converting to USD).

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Then you'll fare better off in Scandinavia. Because Finnish is the odd one out of the Scandinavian countries. Next one would be Iceland but their language is still related to the rest.

I will post all the suggestions I get to get your expertise of course!

4k Euro is the total budget, well it's already over the initial budget because I decided on 40 000 Swedish Krona. And since our centralbank is dead focused on a weak Krona, 4000 euro is worth 42k Swedish.
So of course if the difference isn't noticeable I'd like to be under 4k euro.
The most "bang for the buck" with a maximum of 4k euro would be the ideal option.

/K

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok. So going by your first post, that works out to be about 3300-3400EUR for the stone and 600-700EUR for the setting.

If 3300-3400EUR is inclusive of VAT, that drops your actual stone budget down to a max of 2700-2800EUR which is around USD3300. Will hopefully have some choices for you later tonight (after bub has gone to sleep and while the laundry is washing).

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What type of setting are you looking at again @Kvannebanne ?

I’m just cross checking against Whiteflash for 0.7ct stones and a ring setting. There are some H/I SI1-VS2 stones at WF around the 0.7ct mark that are under USD2.9k, so after adding SE VAT upon importation, you’re looking at around USD3600 for the stone alone which is under your max stone budget of USD4k.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What type of setting are you looking at again @Kvannebanne ?

I’m just cross checking against Whiteflash for 0.7ct stones and a ring setting. There are some H/I SI1-VS2 stones at WF around the 0.7ct mark that are under USD2.9k, so after adding SE VAT upon importation, you’re looking at around USD3600 for the stone alone which is under your max stone budget of USD4k.

Yes! Like this one: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3974692.htm

OP, make sure to factor in travel cost as well when making your decision as to where to purchase from. You have options, pick the one that you are most comfortable with and the one that fits your budget best!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another thing, stones listed in the HPD inventory may be priced in a way that factors in the upgrade policies of HPD. When Fortrez quotes you a price for the same stone, it could end up being cheaper than what HPD charges. I don’t know enough about CBI dealers pricing policies so I’m guessing that could be one scenario which could work out favourably for you. Also, they could have some CBI stones in stock and they could be attractively priced.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

It's getting hard to do this without her noticing. At work I'm busy working.
When I get home she's next to me. So I have to do this on the phone while riding the bus
or now when she's showering :lol:

Setting: I was planning on a simple solitaire. Platinum band, because she likes white and doesn't like gold. Would be nice with some kind of feature up top. "flowery" look or a twist or something like that. Not a twist around the stone but a twist up. So the prongs intersect under the stone. If you know what I mean.

So it doesn't matter if I choose an ACA at WhiteFlash or a CBI at Fortrez/HPDiamonds?
I'll just choose whats best for me in terms of price etc.?
Btw I saw no solitaire settings at Fortrez. There were alot of semi-stone settings.

Also not sure what to pick between VS2-SI1 .. Eyeclean is eyeclean right? And it wont affect brilliance?
Also the colors. F-H went to I now in some suggestions. Will it be noticeable? Even with the stone's size <0.8 carats?

Is the best value without noticing for the majority of people an SI1, I colored diamond?
Maybe I SI1 0.75 ct ACA/CBI under my budget?

About the Fortrez-HPDiamonds thing. Will I have to ask about this or just pick the stone and ask them for a quote?

Thanks again guys!
K

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again,

It's getting hard to do this without her noticing. At work I'm busy working.
When I get home she's next to me. So I have to do this on the phone while riding the bus
or now when she's showering :lol:

Setting: I was planning on a simple solitaire. Platinum band, because she likes white and doesn't like gold. Would be nice with some kind of feature up top. "flowery" look or a twist or something like that. Not a twist around the stone but a twist up. So the prongs intersect under the stone. If you know what I mean. Absolutely, there's lots of variations you can consider, also a 'secret' diamond can be so pretty if it's concealed within the prong area of the ring.

So it doesn't matter if I choose an ACA at WhiteFlash or a CBI at Fortrez/HPDiamonds? Both will be top notch diamonds, you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.
I'll just choose whats best for me in terms of price etc.?
Btw I saw no solitaire settings at Fortrez. There were alot of semi-stone settings. Ask and I'm sure they can help regarding the setting, shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't have thought.

Also not sure what to pick between VS2-SI1 .. Eyeclean is eyeclean right? And it wont affect brilliance?
Also the colors. F-H went to I now in some suggestions. Will it be noticeable? Even with the stone's size <0.8 carats? Eye clean depends on your personal expectations. For example, if you don't want to see any visible inclusions from any angle and with a close up view, let the vendor know that so they can let you know if the diamond meets your needs. This should only really apply to SI1 in this size, VS2 should usually be eye clean but best to check to be sure.

Colour; some might be able to tell the difference between F/ H or I colour with direct comparison but probably only those who are colour sensitive but with the branded stones you're looking at, it would be a challenge to notice any differences face up between them but that's not real life. A Superideal in an I colour is going to look very white still especially face up, to me an I is a little less icy if you will from the side view to a colourless diamond. But I have to really look.

Is the best value without noticing for the majority of people an SI1, I colored diamond?
Maybe I SI1 0.75 ct ACA/CBI under my budget? Certainly, SI can be a great choice if eye clean as addressed above, with an I colour you might notice a slight hint of warmth from the side view but in cuts of this calibre, they're going to face up white anyway. Just check with the vendor again to get their opinion whether a diamond is a ' high graded I, borderline or low graded' to give you a better idea.

About the Fortrez-HPDiamonds thing. Will I have to ask about this or just pick the stone and ask them for a quote? Either or really, but I'd start going through their inventory and go from there, if they can't quite match you with a diamond they might know of some coming in that are suitable.

Thanks again guys!
K

My comments are in bold blue.

Last edited:

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
My comments are in bold blue.

Hi Lorelei,

Thanks for your feedback. I think I have enough info to start contacting Fortrez with my wishes.

About color. You say that some will notice the yellow tint of an I-stone from the side.
Would the same people notice it on an H too? Or is the line between "relatively easy to spot" and "really hard to spot" right there between H and I?
What I'm really asking is, if I'm worried about the "warmth" of an I-diamond. Is it gonna be significantly better with H?

About clarity. Well I'm not going to look at it very close. Not other people either. But she's gonna have it at the usual distance. If her hands are on the desk she'll be about 50 cm from it. Will she notice?
I guess that the first days when she gets it she'll look even closer than that. Will she notice?

I really think that picking an CBI / ACA stone will make her satisfied because the most important thing would be the brilliance of the stone. But I don't want an inclusion or a yellow tint to bother her either.
And when you're considering this, please bear in mind that we are by no means diamond experts.
I'm after eye-clean for "normal people", not full-fledged experts as yourselves :razz:

Anyways I'll start searching and I'll contact Fortrez see what they got to say.
I'll update you guys if you haven't gotten tired of me yet :whistle:

Regards,
K

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Another thing, stones listed in the HPD inventory may be priced in a way that factors in the upgrade policies of HPD. When Fortrez quotes you a price for the same stone, it could end up being cheaper than what HPD charges. I don’t know enough about CBI dealers pricing policies so I’m guessing that could be one scenario which could work out favourably for you. Also, they could have some CBI stones in stock and they could be attractively priced.

About this. I noticed that Fortrez and HPDiamonds had exactly the same inventory. At least the first couple of stones I didn't check the whole list. The price in Euro was the same as the price on Dollars. And Dollars is cheaper so I'm wondering which price I'm gonna get. Maybe it's VAT excluded?

upload_2018-4-28_1-23-46.png

upload_2018-4-28_1-24-12.png

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
US prices do not include VAT

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Then it makes sense because the VAT in Belgium is 21%.
And oddly enough. EUR/USD is 1.2147 right now. What a coincidence.
So the prices on Fortrez should be including VAT and the US prices are excluded.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As an example, the 0.82 I SI1 on Fortrez is listed for €3306 (incl VAT). Excluding 21%VAT it comes to €2732 which at the EUR-USD exchange rate above comes to USD$3318. So Fortrez is cheaper than HPD at least comparing to the credit price at HPD.

If you pay the wire price at HPD for that stone, it’s USD$3307. Once you factor in Swedish VAT on import you’ll be paying USD$4133 which translates to around €3403 (so €100 more the import route).

For me, it’s a no brainer working with Fortrez if you are going for CBI.

Whiteflash, for around the same money as the CBI 0.82 I SI1, you are looking at a 0.845 I SI1 ACA for wire price USD3280 (so USD4100 or €3375 after 25% VAT).

Of course, depends if you are wanting to keep your options under 0.8ct or not. Just some food for thought.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Ok so here's the candidates.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9346/detail.htm - 0.67ct H VS2 €2750
Pros: H color instead of I. VS2 would be a nice assurance to "eye-cleanliness". Cheaper by €500.
Cons: Not an full expert but the H&A shows deviances in the middle. Some hearts point deeper into the center. The other pictures also show some slight deviances. How noticeable is this in a normal environment? If this is something we wont notice then this is definately the top candidate.
Also the smallest stone of them all, 5.63 x 5.67 x 3.44 mm.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9668/detail.htm - 0.72ct I VS1 €3250
Pros: VS1 definately eye-clean?. H&A and pictures looks better than the one above.
Cons: I-color, if it's noticeable.
Is this stone worth €500 more than the one above based on the pictures?
Is the size difference noticeable? 5.77 x 5.8 x 3.53 mm

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/10019/detail.htm - 0.82ct I SI1 €3300
Pros: Biggest stone of them all. Price almost the same as the one above. Pictures looking good
Cons: I-color, if it's noticeable. SI1, if it's noticeable?
Big stone compared to the others. 5.99 x 6.02 x 3.71 mm
If it's totally eye-clean it has very nice value. Also top candidate. If it falls it falls on that 6mm diameter would cover roughly 40% of her finger. Maybe too big?

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9645/detail.htm - 0.76ct I VS1 €3300
Pros: Almost as big as the biggest stone. VS1 clarity definately eye-clean?
Is the VS1 worth sacrificing the 0.06ct of the bigger stone above? Same price.
5.88 x 5.9 x 3.62 mm. Size difference about 0.1 mm. Hmm.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9006/detail.htm - 0.73ct G SI1 £3340
Pros: G-color, should be "more" colorless than the rest.
Cons: SI1 totally eye-clean? Most expensive because of the color.
This is my least favorite I think. Feels like paying more just to get the color, which I might not even notice.

So what do you guys think?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A 0.2mm difference and you are likely to notice the difference in size of the stone.

The 0.67 is the cheapest likely because it is under 0.7cts. While the hearts image shows a little variance, it is likely something you won’t notice IRL.

The 0.72 I VS1 has much more even H&A than the 0.67, but you are gaining almost 0.15mm diameter difference between these two stones.

With the last three that are around €3300, unless you are desperate for a G coloured stone, to me that doesn’t really gimme bang for buck.

So for me, the sweet spot is between the 0.76 and 0.82 stones (unless budget was really a concern in which case the 0.67 would be my preferred suggestion).

Looking at the 0.82’s grading report and the images, I’m not getting a sense that the clouds and inclusions (scattered around the stone rather than being concentrated in one specific area) are negatively impacting the light performance. Even though there are “clouds not shown”, my feeling is that @Paul-Antwerp and his team would have planned around all of the inclusions prior to the cutting and polishing of it. For me, it is definitely a good buy. The I colour isn’t detectable to me face up. Scope images for it are beautiful.

The 0.76, yes you are going up two clarity grades so if you value clarity, then that is a better buy. The plot is stupendously clean (one tiny crystal and two tiny clouds). But to me, both the 0.82 and 0.76 look eye clean to my eyes. So if both are the same price, I would prefer the bigger stone.

If she is the type that would prefer that her stone be a little more discreet (something that I think you Swedes tend to have as part of your national psyche, lagom and all that), the 0.67 is prolly better than the 0.82 or 0.76. Especially if she is concerned about a stone having too much finger coverage (though 40% coverage sounds ok to me, it would look too weird if she would be wearing a stone that provided like 60%-70% coverage if she has that small fingers [my wife is a size 5-5.5 with quite slender fingers and her 0.926ct stone with an average 6.34mm diameter provides around 45-50% coverage by my estimation]).

The only thing is whether you want to go up to the top end of your budget for the stone or not. Also, Fortrez seems to show on their website rings mainly in 18kt white gold and basic pave bands seem to be around 600-800 euros. I’m hoping they will also do settings in platinum but that could bring up your setting cost another 100 euros or so. Without pave in a solitaire, maybe that cost goes down to around 400-500 euros for white gold (just guessing), so maybe up to 600-650 euros in platinum. If that’s the case, the 0.67 might be the best choice after all so you stay within budget.

Hope this post above wasn’t too long.

Ok so here's the candidates.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9346/detail.htm - 0.67ct H VS2 €2750
Pros: H color instead of I. VS2 would be a nice assurance to "eye-cleanliness". Cheaper by €500.
Cons: Not an full expert but the H&A shows deviances in the middle. Some hearts point deeper into the center. The other pictures also show some slight deviances. How noticeable is this in a normal environment? If this is something we wont notice then this is definately the top candidate.
Also the smallest stone of them all, 5.63 x 5.67 x 3.44 mm.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9668/detail.htm - 0.72ct I VS1 €3250
Pros: VS1 definately eye-clean?. H&A and pictures looks better than the one above.
Is this stone worth €500 more than the one above based on the pictures?
Is the size difference noticeable? 5.77 x 5.8 x 3.53 mm

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/10019/detail.htm - 0.82ct I SI1 €3300
Pros: Biggest stone of them all. Price almost the same as the one above. Pictures looking good
Cons: I-color, if it's noticeable. SI1, if it's noticeable?
Big stone compared to the others. 5.99 x 6.02 x 3.71 mm
If it's totally eye-clean it has very nice value. Also top candidate. If it falls it falls on that 6mm diameter would cover roughly 40% of her finger. Maybe too big?

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9645/detail.htm - 0.76ct I VS1 €3300
Pros: Almost as big as the biggest stone. VS1 clarity definately eye-clean?
Is the VS1 worth sacrificing the 0.06ct of the bigger stone above? Same price.
5.88 x 5.9 x 3.62 mm. Size difference about 0.1 mm. Hmm.

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9006/detail.htm - 0.73ct G SI1 £3340
Pros: G-color, should be "more" colorless than the rest.
Cons: SI1 totally eye-clean? Most expensive because of the color.
This is my least favorite I think. Feels like paying more just to get the color, which I might not even notice.

So what do you guys think?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1) As long as they say it is eyeclean, which is looks to be. #3 above. 0.82ct I SI1 €3300
http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/10019/detail.htm

#2) Added to your list. This is the most expensive, but its a nice size, H color. VS1 is a bit overboard, but I don't seen another H that did not drop lower in size than this. 0.73 H VS1. €3.549,25.
http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9102/detail.htm

#1 on left, #2 on right on a size 3.5
upload_2018-4-27_21-27-5.png

IRL photo (not me!)

0.8 on size 3.5. I think this is a perfect proportion.

upload_2018-4-27_21-32-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-27_21-28-4.png
    upload_2018-4-27_21-28-4.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 18
  • upload_2018-4-27_21-29-59.png
    upload_2018-4-27_21-29-59.png
    342.9 KB · Views: 15

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lorelei,

Thanks for your feedback. I think I have enough info to start contacting Fortrez with my wishes.

About color. You say that some will notice the yellow tint of an I-stone from the side.
Would the same people notice it on an H too? Or is the line between "relatively easy to spot" and "really hard to spot" right there between H and I?
What I'm really asking is, if I'm worried about the "warmth" of an I-diamond. Is it gonna be significantly better with H? No not really, these differences are so incredibly subtle, a reliably graded and top cut I colour as you are considering is still going to be incredibly white, all you might notice is the white is perhaps not quite as ' crisp' as a D or E for example, but CBI are the most magnificent stones and the cutter in my opinion works magic. If you buy an I colour Infinity, you are going to have a very white diamond from all angles, lighting and viewing distances.

About clarity. Well I'm not going to look at it very close. Not other people either. But she's gonna have it at the usual distance. If her hands are on the desk she'll be about 50 cm from it. Will she notice?
I guess that the first days when she gets it she'll look even closer than that. Will she notice? Depends on her eyes but it's always prudent to have an expert talk you through each diamond and whether it's eye clean to your expectations. Bearing in mind the cutter of the stone and his skills - each aspect of the diamond will be considered and planned to get the very best out of it, including the location of the inclusions. This would only really apply in SI clarity grades.

I really think that picking an CBI / ACA stone will make her satisfied because the most important thing would be the brilliance of the stone. But I don't want an inclusion or a yellow tint to bother her either.
And when you're considering this, please bear in mind that we are by no means diamond experts.
I'm after eye-clean for "normal people", not full-fledged experts as yourselves :razz: Absolutely, but remember we approach this from the point of view of normal people, what we are is experienced consumers and that's where our advice comes from.

Anyways I'll start searching and I'll contact Fortrez see what they got to say.
I'll update you guys if you haven't gotten tired of me yet :whistle: You absolutely must update us, we'll be waiting!

Regards,
K

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't edit my original post but just to add where I mention about the diamond and inclusions and ' really only applying in SI clarity grades,' I mean whether the diamond is eye clean or not, VS and up usually are.

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Reason I'm not updating is that I e-mailed Fortrez and haven't got any reply.
Probably because it's been the weekend but now Monday's over so I'm hoping they'll reply anytime now.
I asked some general questions and didn't link any of the stones I was interested in.
So when it seems to be alright to buy it from Sweden I'll link the stones and go from there.

I think I'm leaning towards the .76 ct VS1.
But a minute later I'm thinking about the .82 and the cheaper stone H VS2 .67.
Damn it's hard.

I'll update as soon as I get further on this quest. Thanks again guys.

/K

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Alrighty! So my e-mail was anwered by Celine, who sounds very helpful and nice.
She answered all my questions and also gave me the solitaire options. Se link below.
At a first glance I think I definitely will be able to pick one of those settings. They look awesome!

https://www.diamondhousejewellery.com/jewellery/ready-made/1/244/pre-set-diamond-rings.htm

Also regarding my preferences and budget, she suggested this stone:

http://www.fortrez.com/diamonds/detail/9125/detail.htm 0.72ct G VS2 3790€ VAT included.

I don't think I like the suggestion because the color is bringing up the price and I don't fancy paying for the color upgrade. So I'm going to send her the stones we found (0.67ct, 0.76ct and 0.82ct)
and choose a setting to go with it. And let's see what the total cost will be.

What do you guys think?

/K

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of the settings, I like the ones that have a basket. The way the prongs flow up from the shanks looks floral to me.

TBH, for that price, I’d rather get the 0.82 I SI1 instead. Cheaper (helps you stay within budget), just as beautiful, larger in size and the I colour will face up as white as a G or H in normal viewing conditions.

If I have to be super picky, in the IS images, the one she has picked out, the central star is not as well defined. There are large gaps in between the bases of the arrow shafts. The 0.82 is a lot better, but the 0.76 is even better than the 0.82 in that respect (the gaps are even smaller).

But this is really splitting hairs between the 0.82 and 0.76. If I am paying for a super ideal, I am looking for a stone which has a very high degree of optical symmetry precision. So for me, the 0.72 Celine suggested is out (that as well as it is way over your stone budget given you said that total budget was €4K for stone and setting [incl.VAT]).

Just my SEK2/€0.02 worth of opinion.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 0.82 I SI1 would also be my pick. I like settings #2 or #5 (top down). A classic four prong setting will really showcase the diamond and will allow a band to sit flush.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.82 for me too.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @SimoneDi and I were suggesting the same settings, but they were single columns on my phones. So, below are the ones I liked.

https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c...ssic-four-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c.../100/four-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

Edited to add. I like the shank on this one with the narrowing near the head. But, I don't like the basket/gallery. I like the two above. I wonder if they can use this shank on those heads?
https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c...uth,-west,-east-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @SimoneDi and I were suggesting the same settings, but they were single columns on my phones. So, below are the ones I liked.

https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c...ssic-four-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c.../100/four-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

Edited to add. I like the shank on this one with the narrowing near the head. But, I don't like the basket/gallery. I like the two above. I wonder if they can use this shank on those heads?
https://www.diamondhousejewellery.com/jewellery/tailor-made-detail/1/93/north,-south,-west,-east-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

Yes! The same ones! :)

Kvannebanne

Rough_Rock
Ok so here's a summary of her 2nd reply. It was a holiday in Belgium so she couldn't quote the prices but she was nice enough to reply to my mail with some answers at least.

Settings: I sent her 2 settings (4 prong NSWE) and the "floral basket" bmfang also liked.

I quote: "From the two settings you are considering I highly recommend the first one. We’ve noticed than the NSWE setting is less robust than the classic four or six prong settings."
"This ring design is absolutely lovely AND the extra other big advantage with it is that a wedding band will sit flush against it. Every woman wants it!"

I attached some of the photos she sent me. Look below.

"Now in order to pick the best diamond for you I would like you to remind me how much you would like to spend for the full ring including VAT and the shipping cost. I will then maximize everything within it! I think it’s best to proceed as such as I really think you could go slightly higher in colour."

So I found that setting interesting, Celine says everybody loves it and bmfang also liked it. It's definitely a candidate right now. Though I'm a little worried about the "bottom" of the flower being pointy. Will this irritate the finger? Will it press against the finger?

RockySalamander and SimoneDi liked the "classic four-prong" setting more. So the difference between the settings is really down to 4-prong och 6-prong. The 4-prong will showcase the diamond better than the "floral 6-prong"? The 6-prong should be "safer" right? Tough choice.

About the stone. Well it seems that the clear candidate unanimously is the 0.82ct stone.
I'm still thinking about the 0.76ct stone with "better" color and clarity, in expense of slight size.
But if VS1 - S1 isn't noticeable in this particular case, why wouldn't I choose the bigger stone.
I guess it's down to what she says about its "eye-cleanliness".
Bmfang also agreed that the 0.76ct had slightly better patterning than the 0.82ct. Also mentioned that it wont be different enough to show. Also it's a 0.1 mm difference between the 0.76 and the 0.82. Noticeable?

Regarding her reply that she wants the total budget so she can go up in color. I think I'm going to reply that I'm fine with spending less money, sacrificing color that we hopefully wont notice. Right?
I see that you guys have been commenting that her suggestion was inferior to the stones we found earlier and I totally agree.

I'm just gonna wait for the total costs now and if my calculation is right it should be:

0.82ct stone - 3300€
Setting - 380€ (18K gold) how much would this be in platinum? 500€?
Shipping costs? No idea.

Landing in: roughly 3800€ -> 40 350 Swedish Kronor. My original budget was 40k Swedish Kronor.
So this hits that. Don't know how she calculated when she says I can pick a pricier stone.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of the four prong solitaire bands, I do prefer this one over the classic. I just prefer a slightly flowing line compared with a straight-ish prong.

With the six prong ones, the Lotus one isn’t as high set compared with the other one:
https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c...lotus-six-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

But like you @Kvannebanne I do wonder if the base of the basket will dig in to the top of her finger or not. So the more modern 4-prong setting gets my vote, but I know I’m outvoted by @SimoneDi and @rockysalamander here. Haha.

I am estimating that a platinum setting will now be around €450-500. So with the 0.76 or 0.82, I’m thinking you’ll be up around the €3800-3850 (incl. VAT) mark which leaves €150-200 for the proposal dinner/lunch/etc. I’m still not convinced that the upgrade to G that Celine suggested is worth it (though it does seem to sound like they may do a little discount to get you to €4K if you choose the 0.72 G Celine suggested). That makes me wonder if they could do something all up for €3750 instead for the 0.82/0.76 and setting.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. Even if it is a small discount, that’s still more money in your pocket.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the four prong solitaire bands, I do prefer this one over the classic. I just prefer a slightly flowing line compared with a straight-ish prong.

With the six prong ones, the Lotus one isn’t as high set compared with the other one:
https://www.diamondhousejewellery.c...lotus-six-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring.htm

But like you @Kvannebanne I do wonder if the base of the basket will dig in to the top of her finger or not. So the more modern 4-prong setting gets my vote, but I know I’m outvoted by @SimoneDi and @rockysalamander here. Haha.

I am estimating that a platinum setting will now be around €450-500. So with the 0.76 or 0.82, I’m thinking you’ll be up around the €3800-3850 (incl. VAT) mark which leaves €150-200 for the proposal dinner/lunch/etc. I’m still not convinced that the upgrade to G that Celine suggested is worth it (though it does seem to sound like they may do a little discount to get you to €4K if you choose the 0.72 G Celine suggested). That makes me wonder if they could do something all up for €3750 instead for the 0.82/0.76 and setting.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. Even if it is a small discount, that’s still more money in your pocket.

On the setting, I recall a poster looking for just that setting. We PS members all discouraged her for fear of discomfort and pointiness. She got it anyway. She loved the setting. For me, my hands tend to swell in hot weather, so I know it would not suit me...but if you girl does not have this issue it might be fine. If you can, you might ask her sister or mom.

I do wonder about her durability statement. People have been wearing 4-prong setting for 100+ years. Of the others, I lean to this one. It has that narrowing at the top (now that I can look on a big screen) and will allow a flush wedding band. If budget allows, I'd go with platinum.

I would ask them for "delicate claw prongs" not the round ones they show on their website.

I still feel the 0.82 would be my choice. I love that size on that IRL picture. Does this company offer an upgrade program?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results