shape
carat
color
clarity

Need immediate advice on cat

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys you are all so amazing. I will be back to respond better to each one of you.

But in the meantime, one quick question. Do you think ACC can force me to release her. In other words when I pick her up say they'll send an officer with me or something just to make sure I release her.

I really really need to talk to the trap lady.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness for caring people like you @CJ2008 the easy thing would've been to walk away, but you didn't.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys you are all so amazing. I will be back to respond better to each one of you.

But in the meantime, one quick question. Do you think ACC can force me to release her. In other words when I pick her up say they'll send an officer with me or something just to make sure I release her.

I really really need to talk to the trap lady.

CJ no I don't think so. Cats and animals in general are considered property and as long as you're taking care of her (however that is) she's yours. I think so anyway. Please stand firm and don't let them bully you. I think they're probably overwhelmed with all the strays they already have and probably don't even have the reources to send someone with you anyway and force you to do anything. Sending you and the kitty lots of good luck vibes.

Elle_71125, you're too kind but thank you, so sweet of you to say. We do what we can but it never truly feels like it's enough and I struggle with these feelings much of the time. So many animals in desperate need. We do the best we can and it is heartbreaking but we just carry on and try making a difference to those animals we can help.

CJ we are all sending you buckets of good luck vibes. (((Hugs))).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, you're in a tough spot, and I'm sorry. It was so nice of you to help this kitty, but I get that you might not be in a position to keep her if it turns out she's not feral...which I'm not sure how you determine anyway. But I don't know, maybe you're willing to take her in? I wish I had some better advice. I'm hoping you can get into contact with people experienced with ferals for some input. Hang in there.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are things going CJ? I've been thinking about you!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi CJ, How are you honey? You are doing an amazing thing for this kiddo.

I have some experience with strays. Do you have a bathroom with enough space for a cage?

:wavey:

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
I took in a stray exactly one year ago. I am reasonably certain that she was not feral, but an abandoned pet, because she never seemed afraid of me.

I took her to the vet, got her all the medical care she needed, and got her spayed. Then I brought her back home and kept her in a bathroom. I was afraid that the incision from the spaying would become infected or tear open if I released her. Short story short, we ended up keeping her.

She tries to sneak out to chew on grass every once in a while, but she is as healthy as can be and seems happy and confident to anyone who meets her. I think that having food and shelter and safety outweighs the need for being outside. That's just one stray though, so it's anecdotal evidence.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. You are a hero to a hurt little creature who had nowhere else to turn.

Hi CJ, How are you honey? You are doing an amazing thing for this kiddo.

I have some experience with strays. Do you have a bathroom with enough space for a cage?

:wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all again so much I promise I will come back and reply to all of you. I needed every single one of your responses. Thank you. (((hugs)))

And thank you for the referral to that forum, I did post and have gotten some helpful advice so far.

Hi Layla! (I miss calling you Gypsy isn't that weird.)

She's in my bathroom right now, in the trap. I have the cage set up and ready to go but I am so afraid. What if it's the wrong move and she freaks out? :/

ETA what I was thinking of doing is putting the trap IN the cage but now that I'm thinking about it...that won't work. I obviously wouldn't want to do leave the door open on the trapping end and have the trick plate activate. :/ I would have to find a way to keep the "back" door propped open so she can go in and out. I could probably figure something out, but again, it takes working right by her and making noise and I take a chance she escapes. And injures herself, me, it becomes a mess.

BTW, paperwork says she's 1 years old. So, an adult.

The thing is I still don't know if she's positive for anything contagious or bad right? They gave her rabies shots, medicines (I'll come back and list them) but I still know nothing about her really.

In the back of my mind I worry I'm doing right by her, but may be putting my cats at risk in some way.

Last edited:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medicines she got today:

Ket/Ace .4 mls
MetaCam .16 mls
Convenia and Depo Medrol injections (base of tail and nose)
Rabies
RCP
Ivermectin
Frontline
Cleaned base of tail with Chlorhex solution

Poor little girl she has no idea what's going on.

If she only knew all I want to do is help her and make her feel safe. :(sad

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this and I have that EXACT same carrier in the attic! :appl:

http://feralcatfocus.org/colony-management-feral-cat-set-up-long-term-fosters/

I was going in the right direction but with the wrong tool! :appl:

OK - now I have to get it and get this done.

Wish me luck girls.

This makes perfect sense to me to do. Wish I had found it earlier. I've been feeling paralyzed not knowing what to do.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know she's scared right now but just give her a chance. My cat hid a lot when we brought her home. She also ran away anytime I tried to pet her. It took a long time but I was persistent. I made sure she knew she was safe and I started petting her more and more until she got used to me. Now she lets me hold her belly up (no petting the belly though or I get bites :twisted:).

She still occasionally runs away when I lean down to pet her but she's come a long way.

She will most likely freak out. She's scared. Constant food and attention from you will help with that. It just takes time. She will acclimate. She'll probably hide somewhere for now. Just bring in food at intervals so she associates that with you. You don't have to be silent around her. I wouldn't go screaming or anything but a soft voice won't hurt. I actually sing a lot around my cats (I pretend I'm like a Disney princess but, in reality, my singing is a little less appealing :lol-2:).

You should keep her away from your other cats until she has been tested for anything contagious. I learned this the hard way! :confused2:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, it's the first time I've felt like I could relax all day.

I have such a headache right now but I feel happy at the same time.

It took a LONG time for her to get into the carrier. I finally very gently nudged in here because I could tell she *wanted* to go. A few times she made like jerky gestures as if she was going to bolt in there but then wouldn't.

I think she is just beyond scared.

Poor girl.

But here's our new setup. :appl: (sorry for the blurry first picture, but you get the idea!)
IMG_20170803_201002.jpg IMG_20170803_201157.jpg IMG_20170803_202010.jpg

Please girls keep your fingers crossed and send some dust that she will feel relaxed enough to venture out and eat and drink. :pray:

I will reply more later. I need to eat and drink something myself right now.

And please, if you notice anything wrong with the setup, anything I've missed let me know.

OMG I am so happy right now that she is more comfortable. It's such a deep joy that I rarely feel.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good!!!! *deep breaths*

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking good CJ! You've done a great job, definitely take a break and rest up a little, you've had a hectic day. I'm thinking once she calms down and relaxes she'll start eating and drinking, try not to worry. You're doing all you can, hang in there.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
She's officially a she?

Looks good! I wouldn't worry about the lack of drinking or eating until roughly 18 hours. You don't want her to go 24 hours without food. The medications might have made her queasy, and she wouldn't want to eat. Tuna water has done wonders for me in getting cats to eat.

My little volunteer doesn't eat food. She inhales it. I could go on for pages about her food-related antics, which were way worse in the beginning. It might set your mind at ease to hear that even she didn't touch food or water for a good 12 hours after I brought her home after she was spayed.

We already had a healthy indoor kitty when I brought our volunteer inside. I too was worried that I might be compromising his health by keeping her in a bathroom and visiting her in there to check on and feed her.

Our vet told me to wash my hands carefully after I handle anything related to the volunteer. He said that it was unlikely that I could pass anything on from one cat to another, because most serious illnesses were passed on through bodily fluids.

I'm compulsive about these things, so I kept a "hazmat suit" in a bag by the door of the bathroom. It was a pair of old long-sleeved pajamas with pants (not shorts). I would put them on over my clothing before I went into the bathroom. I also had a pair of slippers that I wore only in there. If it makes you feel better, wear disposable gloves.

Our vet (who is excellent) estimated our volunteer to be around a year old. I think that was an overestimate, based on her behavior.

Kudos, and the best of luck!

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
You, your husband, and the setup you have come up with are awesome. I don't use the word lightly.

I hope whatever you have is contagious! We need more people like you, and fewer people like most people (at least the awful ones who treat animals like toys).

OK just sharing a few photos. We have 3 cat shelters on our property but I only have photos of one of them and we bought 2 of them and Greg made one of them. I am sharing the photos of the one Greg made. And the feral kitty feeding station that holds 39 lbs of food. You might remember this if you read it in the NIRDI thread but I cannot recall if you did so I am sharing it here and we can help you re how to do this if you are interested.

The feral kitty condo Greg made that is 2 levels. It has to be filled with straw and more than is pictured but this photo was taken as Greg was creating it. Not expensive to do at all. You want to put it where the kitties feel safe and hidden from view.

catshelterbygreg.jpg

Here is a feral kitty hanging out on top of it LOL.
feralkittyonshelter.jpg

And then the feral feeding station that holds 39 lbs of food. It has 2 doors so cats can enter and escape 2 ways so they feel comfortable and safe. We have 3 gravity feeders in there that we fill once a week. As you know this is in our part time home so Greg makes the trip every week during the off seasons so the cats have food even though we don't live there much of the year.

feedingstation39lbs.jpeg

OK so just sharing to illustrate it really isn't hard to make the ferals as comfortable as possible on your property where they will have food and shelter and be safer than just anywhere out in the wild. So even if she turns out to be a true feral she can have a good life CJ. Please don't give up on her or the feral kitties in general. They need you sweetheart. Not everyone has a good heart and cares about the animals like you do. You are a sweetheart for taking this on and doing your best and I promise you your best is good enough. (((HUGS))).

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
One more suggestion, in case she doesn't eat: try Fancy Feast. My understanding is that their "classic" line, which is widely available and inexpensive, has the best composition and least junk.

I have yet to find a cat who turns it down. My brother didn't believe me, and spent two days trying five kinds of expensive canned food on a cat in circumstances very similar to yours. He finally relented and tried Fancy Feast. She ate it immediately, after two days of hunger strike.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good going, Ceej, the set up looks good to me. OUTSTANDING :mrgreen2:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, I just checked in on her, and she ate both the wet and dry food I left out.

She does not seem to have used the litter box though. I can't tell if she drank water.

I am really really happy about this and would be clapping if it wasn't for the fact that both my boy and girl both SNEEZED. First, i noticed my boy cat sneezed and then just now, my girl.

What do I do. I know when they're healthy they can ward off a lot of things. But I need to go on the offensive here.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Freezing is giving you great advice. I keep a hazmat suit when I have strays I am taking care of as well. to protect my resident cats. I also keep Clorox wipes everywhere.

You can call me Gypsy. I'll answer. Let me know if you need anything.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LaylaR I didn't do that. I should have and didn't.

Both my boy and girl are sneezing.

I'm freaking out a little bit.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Your kids sneezing... I think I'm missing something. Are you worried they've caught something or are allergic?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was really fng irresponsible of me to not do that.

I got all the clothes in the next room - because I *knew* to do that from that last stray we tried to help.

But I didn't use them.

I have no idea why. Laziness. Thinking nothing is going to happen.

Here I am vacuuming worrying about fleas and I don't do the far more important thing.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cats Gypsy.

Sorry.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
They wouldn't be sneezing so soon if they caught something.

There are very few things to worry about that would present as sneezing. Most of what you want to prevent with hazmat suit is fungal or parasitic. Ringworm and things like that. And those don't result in sneezing.

As long as they're eyes aren't running and they aren't exhibiting upper respiratory symptoms you are probably seeing an allergic or dust reaction. When there are new scents in the house their noses work overtime...

I don't know what kind of litter you use but the litter dust can also cause a lot of sneezing.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You are a good momma CJ, foster or otherwise.

I've forgotten too. For a while we seemed to find a new cat every two weeks and I can't tell you how many times I forgot when we brought Lucy in the house.

Nothing happened. Though I too was very anxious and kicking myself afterward.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, remember she was here overnight in the garage Tuesday night. And I didn't do the hazmat thing.

I did wash their bedding yesterday and used more soap than usual because of the fleas.

Please also tell me about upper respiratory symptoms - or by that did you mean the running eyes.

I've been using the same litter for decades.

They never ever sneeze. The one thing is I did wash their bedding and did use some Lysol.

So hopefully it is just something related to that. But please let me know anything else.

Thanks for helping me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results