shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with petite cushion - calling mrs-b and other cushion experts!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @mrs-b and other cushion cut gurus!

I've started the hunt for a petite solitaire to wear as a RHR, or work/travel e-ring for our upcoming wedding anniversary and Christmas present. All of my diamonds are round brilliants, so I am keen to delve into the world of cushions for this project! I had originally thought of getting an asscher, but at the size I'm considering, 4.5-5.5mm, I feel that the faceting patterns will be lost.

Being in Australia my choices here are fairly limited, so I'm looking at Blue Nile or JA (any other suggestions welcome!). I had originally considered a chunky/antique style cushion, but buying sight unseen might be tricky, having never seen one in real life, so I figured I should stick to precision cut ones.

I have never a precision cut cushion in real life, just 'crushed ice' types which I'm not a fan of. From what I've seen on PS, a well cut cushion will do it for me, I just need some pointers on what cut characteristics to look for, to produce the most fire and sparkle. I love my ACAs but am really craving a different cut for this project. It will be set in a simple rose gold solitaire with white gold basket and prongs. I like lower colours (I/J/K) and not fussed on clarity so long as it is eyeclean. Hoping for 4.5-5mm so around half a carat or so.

Any help would be much appreciated!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Hi Hi Aussie! Must be something in the air! I'm looking at one too! I've found the YouTube channel by "Good Old Gold" absolutely invaluable for an understanding of this somewhat complex cut.
Great eye candy,too! enjoy!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dandi - do you have a budget?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd buy that one myself if I were looking. It's not often you see those nice curved edges in precision cut cushions.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW @mrs-b that's a cracker!! You are GOOD! I would LOVE to keep it under $1000AUD for the diamond alone, which I thought may have been a bit unrealistic, but you've just proven me otherwise!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW @mrs-b that's a cracker!! You are GOOD! I would LOVE to keep it under $1000AUD for the diamond alone, which I thought may have been a bit unrealistic, but you've just proven me otherwise!!

Does it fit the bill and scratch the itch, @Dandi? Or would you like me to keep looking?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dandi -

Just emailed you a second one. :))

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely fits the bill! I wasn't planning on buying just yet, but they both look like winners. You're amazing @mrs-b, thank, you so much!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dandi -

You're very welcome. If these ones are gone when it comes time for you to buy, I'm happy to look again for you. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results