shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with choosing heart diamond

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I need help figuring out if this stone will have any sparkle. Is it possible to tell from the details in the gia? I do like the color of the stone. And this is for a right hand ring. But I'm having trouble finding a setting.

Thanks

_3989.jpeg

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Sparkle consists of brilliance, fire and more importantly the contrast (on-off light pattern when diamond or viewer moves).

Fancy colored stone are not cut to achieve the above objectives. They are cut to maximize the body colour. A diamond that is reflecting a lot of light back will mask the body colour and will be less valuable in fancy colour ranges.

Also for fancy shapes the value proposition is not always entirely in the sparkle but also the girdle outline (the shape itself).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Re: Need help with a heart diamond

Thanks G, I'd read a little about the cut for color rule, but I would still like one with some fire. Is that possible? As the stone is online it's hard to tell if it has any fire.

And, I forgot to ask earlier, do you all think 2,300 is a fair price for this stone?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't tell anything by the numbers. We need up close images, aset and ideal scope images. This stone is shallow which is usually a detriment but like I said we can't tell anything by the numbers. Post pictures if you have them.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I captured these from the little video JA has of it.

_3990.jpeg

_3991.jpeg

_3992.jpeg

_3993.jpeg

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
And these are with lower magnification.

_3994.jpeg

_3995.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should put a hold on the stone and provide us with a link. It will tell us a lot more.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Ok Ty, will do that. How does putting a hold on it get more information?
Just called JA. They tell me it's shallow and won't have good light return, and better placed in a pendant. So, this is not the one.

Thanks for the help guys. :angel:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone doesnt look like it will be particularly sparkly (I looked it up). Colored stones are usually cut to accentuate their color.
I think you can ask JA what they thing/see. Request and aset (only available if the stone is local). If all that fails, you can buy
the stone and use their return policy if it's not what you want. It is a large stone for the price.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks RockinRuby, I really appreciate the links. These are some beautiful diamonds and settings.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
ElizabethR|1465066185|4040186 said:
Thanks RockinRuby, I really appreciate the links. These are some beautiful diamonds and settings.

You are very welcome! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That dbl diamond is gorgeous! I'd love that. :love: Got to show it to hubby.
Thanks Gypsy. :appl:

I think someone bought it aleady. :(

The good news is I've finally figured out the color I want. More yellow/light brown rather than canary. :)

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I found a nice right hand ring setting at VictorC. Would like something like this but with a heart center stone

_4016.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ElizabethR|1465269519|4041024 said:
I found a nice right hand ring setting at VictorC. Would like something like this but with a heart center stone

Okay. Um. That's a 10,000 setting. JUST the setting.

You have good taste.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call DBL.

He just got back from JCK and I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up some unique pieces in less common shapes like hearts.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Lol, yeah I thought it would be up there Gypsy. Thanks for the heads-up on BDL. I'll check it out.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1465280039|4041075 said:
ElizabethR|1465269519|4041024 said:

Okay. Um. That's a 10,000 setting. JUST the setting.

You have good taste.

LOL

That's the sort of thing I do - choose the most expensive thing in the shop without even checking the price tags :roll: :lol:

I blame my mother's expensive tastes - although, to be fair, my dad's side also likes the nice things in life!

I'm doomed :( lol

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Update, GOG is looking out a couple of hearts for me. Yeah! But, I'm still having trouble finding a setting. I don't want the ring to look like an e-ring. It's for my right hand. I don't really like: pave or halo. And I don't want the stone sitting up too high, but I also don't want bezel. I've looked at the heart-rings thread, but nothing caught my attention there. Anyone have any suggestion for a nice setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be a heart *whine, whine, whine*.

They aren't symmetrical which makes it hard, but then there's that cleft. *Sigh." Okay. Big girl pants on.

I'm going to suggest you reach out to Liz W. I don't know her site, but I think she might be able to adapt one of her designs for pears to a heart for you. And she works with David Klass which means it should be reasonably priced.

I looked for options for you and could not find anything to recommend.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gypsy. I appreciate your help. I'll look her up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results