shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Sourcing An Oval.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
A big thanks to the regulars and everyone who posts questions, answers and photos. It's been so helpful.

I'm looking for a diamond oval, GIA cert, .80 - .99 ct, F - G or H with slight fluorescent, Ex Ex and little to no bow tie.
As you all know ovals are not the easiest to grade when it comes to dimensions, symmetry etc for performance, light return, brilliance, sparkle/fire etc.

I live in the UK but could order from the US if it's better to do so for value.

I'll like to set it in millegrain, micro pave, knife edge, if possible split shank, hidden halo, small cathedral gap, six prong setting. I haven't seen an exact ring but few with different aspects of it.
I've attached some photos here. Please post closer ones if you find any.

We were at Hatton Garden on Saturday, only 2 ovals available; going to Jewelry Quarter in Birmingham this Saturday and hope we find the right one. Shall consider moissanites if not.
Cathedral Micro Pave Shane and Co.jpg 4Tapered shank prong-setting-oval-shape-tapering-shoulder-halo-diamond-engagement-.jpg Band small halo laurenbjewelry.jpg Base split cathedral shank base.png knife-edge-pave.jpg

Thank you.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to look at the August Vintage inc.'s Elyque/Opulence oval. They are cut to eliminate the horizontal bow tie. They also carry settings and can do custom settings.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Princessandthepear.
I shall have a look but my budget for the diamond is below $3,000 and my setting about $1,100.

If they did moissanite in ovals then it would been a no brainer.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Princessandthepear.
I shall have a look but my budget for the diamond is below $3,000 and my setting about $1,100.

If they did moissanite in ovals then it would been a no brainer.

Reach out to Jonathan @ AV, Inc. He may be able to help.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
Actually they can do moissanite in pretty much anything, cut to order, these days, and surprisingly inexpensive.

Peruse some of the vendor-specific threads on here. They are often in China.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/fabulous-fashion-jewelry.95/

That said I do think you can get what you want in diamond within budget. James Allen aren't behaving in a consumer friendly manner at the moment but pick through their stock. And of course Blue Nile, who still have the GIA certs on their site. (Latter is less hassle if purchasing from the UK for various shipping and tax reasons). If you can come in under budget for the diamond or drop very slightly in weight, I think you might be able to commission David Klass to make the exact setting you have in mind. They will work with you to tweak CADs till you are happy.

If you like the facet pattern of the AV oval, and prefer it to that of a conventional oval, I think you would be very pleased with one.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for a diamond oval, GIA cert, .80 - .99 ct, F - G or H with slight fluorescent, Ex Ex and little to no bow tie.
As you all know ovals are not the easiest to grade when it comes to dimensions, symmetry etc for performance, light return, brilliance, sparkle/fire etc.

So the way fancy cuts work is that the most important "spec" is cut and how well the stone returns light. You can not be so specific on all the other
details or you will have a hard time finding any stones (fluorescence, symmetry, polish...etc). If you do want to be that specific then you will need
to go with something like an August Vintage oval (which are lovely by the way).
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/products/0-81ct-g-vs2-august-vintage-oval

Blue Nile stones that may be worth a look
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12221541
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12123513
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12221520

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
You are in the same situation I am. See my thread below.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-help-her-say-yes.248626/#post-4540256

I am going to reach out to AV.

In the mean time I was hoping to get other suggestions as well. If I could just find a setting similar to Brilliant Earth’s Waverly, I would be golden.

Mpain10
I've contacted Rhino at AV but he's in NY and I'm in London. it should be fairly straightforward to get a gem from him but not so much a custom setting. I've decided to go for a moissanite. I saw a C&C F1 oval and spent the whole day looking at different oval diamonds. The moissanite got me. I just need to figure out what difference AV can offer in the oval moissanite compared to the C&C F1.

AV has loads of mounts on their website but none that is what I want. You might find one similar to Waverly here
https://augustvintage.jewelershowcase.com/browse/3c-collection/engagement/vintage-and-sculptural

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock

So the way fancy cuts work is that the most important "spec" is cut and how well the stone returns light. You can not be so specific on all the other
details or you will have a hard time finding any stones (fluorescence, symmetry, polish...etc). If you do want to be that specific then you will need
to go with something like an August Vintage oval (which are lovely by the way).
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/products/0-81ct-g-vs2-august-vintage-oval

Blue Nile stones that may be worth a look
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12221541
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12123513
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12221520
Thank you Tyty. I've decided to go for an oval moissanite. I saw a C&C F1 and even though we viewed lots of diamonds on the same day I was hooked on the moissanite. Have you seen a C&C F1 in person and compared it with AV's please?
I'm trying to decide which to go for.
Thanks.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Actually they can do moissanite in pretty much anything, cut to order, these days, and surprisingly inexpensive.

Peruse some of the vendor-specific threads on here. They are often in China.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/fabulous-fashion-jewelry.95/

That said I do think you can get what you want in diamond within budget. James Allen aren't behaving in a consumer friendly manner at the moment but pick through their stock. And of course Blue Nile, who still have the GIA certs on their site. (Latter is less hassle if purchasing from the UK for various shipping and tax reasons). If you can come in under budget for the diamond or drop very slightly in weight, I think you might be able to commission David Klass to make the exact setting you have in mind. They will work with you to tweak CADs till you are happy.

If you like the facet pattern of the AV oval, and prefer it to that of a conventional oval, I think you would be very pleased with one.
Thank you Fenestrate.
it appears I need to find a skilled goldsmith/jewelry maker in England or online who can do grain and milgrain well to help get the ring I want. Any recommendations please?

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
@Strawberries1

A private jeweler sourced my 3 ct oval. It has virtually no bow tie. They can be found, and there is a very nicely cut lab diamond at BE . I will post it in that forum now for you. Please have a look. E VS1

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I am very biased but I would avoid Hatton Garden and the Birmingham jewellery quarter like the plague - or at least, avoid spending your money there, it can be otherwise good to get a feel of what you like in terms of colour sensitivity and settings etc. What I have found in England is that there is nearly next to no recognition of the importance of light performance in diamonds, and it is very disheartening. By the time you have had enough wherewithal to find this site, you'll be quite disappointed I think. My experience was like hitting my head against a brick wall.

I would strongly second the August Vintage Ovals, their light performance is amazing. I know AV does synthetic options but not sure if that's in the oval option yet. Worth investigating the forums on this site that deal with the synthetic side of things like the Fabulous Fashion Jewellery and MMD forums.

I am currently working with Durham Rose in London for my setting and I couldn't be happier with the customer service I am receiving. To be honest, I haven't seen any milgraining on their portfolio, but that doesn't mean they can't do it and I would investigate them as an English option. I know they would be honest if it wasn't something that was in their remit. I also know they set moissanite and I know they set outside stones (for an additional fee).

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
@Strawberries1

A private jeweler sourced my 3 ct oval. It has virtually no bow tie. They can be found, and there is a very nicely cut lab diamond at BE . I will post it in that forum now for you. Please have a look. E VS1
Thanks but what is BE?
3ct is way out of my league. I'm happy with the 1.5ct size and will go for a moissey.:dance:

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I am very biased but I would avoid Hatton Garden and the Birmingham jewellery quarter like the plague - or at least, avoid spending your money there, it can be otherwise good to get a feel of what you like in terms of colour sensitivity and settings etc. What I have found in England is that there is nearly next to no recognition of the importance of light performance in diamonds, and it is very disheartening. By the time you have had enough wherewithal to find this site, you'll be quite disappointed I think. My experience was like hitting my head against a brick wall.

I would strongly second the August Vintage Ovals, their light performance is amazing. I know AV does synthetic options but not sure if that's in the oval option yet. Worth investigating the forums on this site that deal with the synthetic side of things like the Fabulous Fashion Jewellery and MMD forums.

I am currently working with Durham Rose in London for my setting and I couldn't be happier with the customer service I am receiving. To be honest, I haven't seen any milgraining on their portfolio, but that doesn't mean they can't do it and I would investigate them as an English option. I know they would be honest if it wasn't something that was in their remit. I also know they set moissanite and I know they set outside stones (for an additional fee).
Thanks Lykame. I shall have a look but as you say no milgrain on their site and that's the skill I need. I'm going for moissanite so I only need a good jewelry maker now.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you Fenestrate.
it appears I need to find a skilled goldsmith/jewelry maker in England or online who can do grain and milgrain well to help get the ring I want. Any recommendations please?

Great that you’ve settled on a stone.

Rereading your OP I think the only person who will be able to approach your ideal within a reasonable budget is David Klass. Because you are so clear on what you want I think you will work very well with him and his team. What is your current budget? Let them know too, and ask whether your design is feasible within that budget. Send them your photos and description of what you want. If the budget is a go, they will produce CADs which they will tweak until you are happy. Definitely start a new thread in rockytalky once you have the first CAD so they can be further refined with help from PSers to make sure you get exactly what you want. You can also search here to see if you are happy with their approach and quality (I think you will be):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/

Because your design is so specific I think bespoke is the only way to go. If it exists at all within a reasonable budget the only place I can think it might be is on the Stuller website so it might be worth a look.

As an aside, I think the one of the best designers and makers right now is Victor Canera. He will be quite far out of budget but his website may inspire you for more elements of your ring.

ETA: did you search moissanite oval on YouTube? Might be some comparison vids there. Also I spotted this which has some split shank and knife edge elements you mentioned tho it is a different look than I think you are going for:

Last edited:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a clarification, if I may.....we throw around abbreviations, BE stands for Brilliantly Engaged, not Brilliant Earth, separate companies.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Great that you’ve settled on a stone.

Rereading your OP I think the only person who will be able to approach your ideal within a reasonable budget is David Klass. Because you are so clear on what you want I think you will work very well with him and his team. What is your current budget? Let them know too, and ask whether your design is feasible within that budget. Send them your photos and description of what you want. If the budget is a go, they will produce CADs which they will tweak until you are happy. Definitely start a new thread in rockytalky once you have the first CAD so they can be further refined with help from PSers to make sure you get exactly what you want. You can also search here to see if you are happy with their approach and quality (I think you will be):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/

Because your design is so specific I think bespoke is the only way to go. If it exists at all within a reasonable budget the only place I can think it might be is on the Stuller website so it might be worth a look.

As an aside, I think the one of the best designers and makers right now is Victor Canera. He will be quite far out of budget but his website may inspire you for more elements of your ring.

ETA: did you search moissanite oval on YouTube? Might be some comparison vids there. Also I spotted this which has some split shank and knife edge elements you mentioned tho it is a different look than I think you are going for:

Thanks you so much.
I've contacted DK and viewed VC. Really lovely!
DK has given me a quote which is about the same as in the UK. The convenience of dealing with the jewelry maker in person for the same price seems less risky. Shall consider it further.
Thanks again.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The convenience of dealing with the jewelry maker in person for the same price seems less risky
I have to comment that this isn't case, really. It depends on communication, yes, but even more so on the bench's skill. You need to be very sure that they can execute your design flawlessly AND understands what you want. Dk isn't the only jeweler who can do this, but I haven't found anyone in Europe yet, who is as good as him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results