shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED HELP! Pulling the Trigger with PSvendor

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock
So I've been lurking and posting on PS for 2 months now and I've finally abandoned trying to go to a local wholesale shop and go with a PS vendor. BN and WF are both awesome and I'd like to make the purchase this week.

I've narrowed this diamond down and have it on hold, what are your thoughts O Great PS Board?

the value looks good as compared to other comparables.

anything I should be nervous about?

it will be mounted in a gold setting. Would it be worth $800 to go up to H?

Q

Queenie60

You need to post the link or we are not able to see what you are referring to.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock
sorry, that's the GIA on it.

I dont have any actual photos or scopes..

mednat

Rough_Rock
GIA Link: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=6201878940&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

I'm not an expert by any means, but i don't like this one. The depth is too low and the crown angle too low. From what i've gathered, here are the generally acceptable dimensions for a round diamond to be in ideal territory:

depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - thin to slightly thick, thin to medium, etc (avoid very thin or thick)
polish and symmetry - very good and above

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, no, that is definitely not within the range we'd recommend. My specs are close to what mednat just posted:

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

You mentioned Whiteflash. That is much better because they have screened the stones and they have great cut and light return. That is my best recommendation.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock
:wall:

Thanks for looking guys.

I'm dying, I've been looking for something for a month. I'm looking at 7500-8500, eyeclean, around 7.20mm. I or better.

I will not be using Whiteflash because when I went to their location the 2 people I spoke with were rude and seemed preoccupied. nothing they should be written up over, just didn't appeal to me. BN on the other hand has great great customer service and I like their policies.

could somebody point me in the direction of a good stone? I feel more lost than I did 2 months ago. :confused:

3Bean

Rough_Rock
From your name, Do you live in Houston, TX? Have you tried going to Brian Gavin Diamonds?

From the online vendors, use their search, click on advance filters, and put in the ranges posted. Should narrow things down for you.

mednat

Rough_Rock
I didn't find anything on blue nile that fits your price range, size, and the dimensions I look for.

Here is a price scope search that I think captures most of your requirements. Obviously you'll still need to check the stones (especially crown/pavilion angles, I can't filter for this), but this should point you in the right direction

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at whiteflash. My experience talking with them online was the exact opposite. I ended up buying from b2c, and had a good experience, but I will say a lot of the vendors I worked with were much more pushy than I like so I definitely understand having a preference against a specific vendor. The vendors that did this to me, didn't get a call back at all.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/N5EX2wYh

Ultimately most of the virtual stones can be sourced at most of the vendors. I'd pick one with a return policy and service that you like.

houstonsotex

Rough_Rock
would this be a better choice?

depth: 61.8

table: 58

crown angle: 35

pavilion angle: 40.8

1.8hac

vs2

I

1.42ct

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
houstonsotex|1464123680|4035899 said:

1.8hac

vs2

I

1.42ct

Yes, those numbers are fine.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
houstonsotex|1464115708|4035848 said:
:wall:

Thanks for looking guys.

I'm dying, I've been looking for something for a month. I'm looking at 7500-8500, eyeclean, around 7.20mm. I or better.

I will not be using Whiteflash because when I went to their location the 2 people I spoke with were rude and seemed preoccupied. nothing they should be written up over, just didn't appeal to me. BN on the other hand has great great customer service and I like their policies.

could somebody point me in the direction of a good stone? I feel more lost than I did 2 months ago. :confused:
Hi Houston,
Very sorry you had a less than brilliant experience visiting Whiteflash. I understand that you are no longer interested in working with us as a result, but I would very much like to get more insight into your experience so that we can address our failure and hopefully avoid making others feel the same way.

If you are inclined to spend a few minutes talking to me please drop me a quick email, I would very much appreciate your feedback.
[email protected]

Good luck in your search. You will get excellent guidance here and I am sure you will have a great outcome.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1464125211|4035909 said:
houstonsotex|1464123680|4035899 said:

1.8hac

vs2

I

1.42ct

Yes, those numbers are fine.

+1 Numbers fall into the right parameters, but it's still a disadvantage not being able to access an ASET or idealscope on the stone.

I am very surprised you didn't have a good experience at WF. I can't even imagine, because I went there in Feb. and had the opposite experience. I hope you respond to Bryan's request to email him.

mednat

Rough_Rock
I agree with everyone else on the numbers looking good. I would request ASet/Idealscope from the vendor, and you may want to post the GIA Cert so the folks here can look for problematic inclusions. Also, make sure the vendor has a solid return policy. If the stone is with bluenile, they take returns easily, but don't provide aset/idealscope. If that's the case and you really like it you can have them ship it to you and you can return it if you don't like it.

Good luck!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you do not wish to work with WF, and live in Houston, call Leslie at BGD and make appt with her. Leslie and Brian used to work at WF.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results