shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on a RB - 1.85 C, G, VS2

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
Hi there.

As you might have guessed, I'm shopping for an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and need some feedback. I've conducted a fair amount of research online (including reading up on this forum quite a bit), but took my first trip to see diamonds live this afternoon. I wanted to get a sense of how large a 1, 1.5 or 2 carat stone really is, and what color grade would be acceptable to me. I was not planning on making a purchase today, but was presented with a stone that looked fairly impressive to me that's been placed on hold. Please see the attached images for the details.

The HCA score is an excellent 1.1, but from the images, I can see that there is a fair amount of dispersion in the ASET images near the edges of the stone. This stone would obviously would not pass muster as the kind of "super-ideal" that this forum generally covets, but it is priced accordingly. I'd appreciate hearing whether the ASET image is much-ado-about nothing, as there seems to be some controversy as to whether ASET images are even useful for round cuts. Additionally, I'd also like to hear if there are places to view "super-ideals" in NYC in person. I'd love to be able to judge whether the "super-ideal" cuts are worth the premium in person.

As an FYI, my girlfriend does not wear much jewelry and has zero expectations from me in terms of a huge or expensive ring. She's also has a size five finger and is petite at five feet tall so it's not an issue if I have to size down from a 1.85 carat stone (which is probably bigger than I was originally looking for). Thanks again for the help.

gia___6221391550-idealscope-01.jpg

gia___6221391550-aset_white-01.jpg

hca_1_85_g-vs2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice, well balanced stone.

As for super ideals local to NYC -- any hearts on fire dealer. Or in long island, GOG.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well cut stone, I'm not surprised you liked the look of it in person. If I could only choose one, between ASET and idealscope, I'd choose the ASET... even for rounds. It shows you everything that an idealscope image shows, but adds detail that helps further paint the picture.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What?! Black and nasty? lol! Um, VS2 should be eyeclean from the top view with inclusions seen with a 10x loupe. If the stone is to be set where the sides are visible, it is a good idea to make sure it is eyeclean from the sides as well.

diamondnewbie...the images look fine! There is no controversy about ASETs being useful for rounds. All PS superideal cut vendors use ASET images to help prove the superior cut and light return of the stones. ASETs are very useful for rounds as well as other shape diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't see any evidence that anything is black and nasty. Don't listen to that.

But it would be good for you to post pictures of the stone for us.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
VS2 should be fine even at that size
Nice find if it's in your budget.

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
As requested, attached are additional items of the stone.

I'm leaning towards passing on the stone for now since i am still so early in this process, but also wanted to ask whether the forum would prefer a stone like this:

http://m.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3653221.htm

Yes, I realize that there is a .4 carat difference in size but the WF diamond would be about 4K cheaper and I don't need to spend my entire budget for the sake of spending it all. As I mentioned, the original stone was larger than I anticipated looking for and a stone just under 1.5 would be large enough. Thanks.

_3512.jpeg

_3513.jpeg

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
Whoops. Meant to post the following image instead of the double post.

_3514.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that one too. What kind of setting does the wearer want?

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
I had been thinking of getting a Vatche U 113 setting, but am also considering commissioning Leon Mege for a Tulip setting (perhaps with a partial pave on the shank). I imagine the Leon setting might set me back $5k with pave?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think the LM Tulip setting is $3K better (2.5 times price) than the Vatche U-113. I'd recommend putting that $2-3K into a slightly bigger diamond or spending it on something else wedding related/retirement fund.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results