shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help. Got my cushion three stone ring but it's set too low, and I have one other concern.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Happy to help! ::) I should think your painting background will be very helpful though - art is art... It’s just the implementation that gets squiffy :lol:
Thank you! Your knowledge is invaluable. I can talk color theory and design / composition principles til I’m blue...but no kidding RE implementation...I actually took a jewelry metalsmith class for fun - I figured because I used to cast bronze sculptures in a foundry and studied painting that it would come naturally - boy I was dead wrong. I was abysmal!!! I will never underestimate the difference in craftsmanship again.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@allaboutcushions I’m sure this is frustrating for you. You have been extremely gracious about some of the “helpful” suggestions and criticism. Huge grain of salt being swallowed. I realize the melee is important to your DH and therefore you as well. There are several seasoned PSers who have vast experience with custom design, and they are helpful. You are incorporating certain sentimentality that is important to you and that fact seems to get lost. Yssie’s suggestion to work with a designer is spot on. You’ve been given much to think about, I hope you get the ring of your dreams.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi Annagene,
You actually stated this very nicely and as a newbie myself, based on much of the feedback here, I have come to very similar conclusions as you. Though I'm refusing to budge on ring height and those too big melee that everyone seems to hate so much--that's not how you stated it. It's so funny as I've seen a ton of three stone rings on this site with both large sidestones and melee but not everyone is posting for opinions or help. I get that I asked for it and boy did I get it. I'm trying to take the criticism with a grain of salt and taking the feedback that aligns with my preference and apply it. I will say this, some people state their opinion nicely and some do not--that's just how it is in this world.

Honestly, I'm a longtime lurker since 2007! I've seen the gamut of designs and various diamond sizes on this site--it really leans toward the gigantic considering the average e-ring diamond in the U.S. is half a carat (can't remember if I read that here or elsewhere). To each his/her own ultimately as far as what is beautiful, and right or wrong.

I feel lucky to have a 2 ct beautifully cut cushion--more importantly, it came from my wonderful DH. While some on this site think the e-ring design is solely the recipient's, I want a design that my DH will also like. We both work so it's not a money thing--over the years he's heard the numerous compliments my old ring got from people, even strangers and it always made him proud to have been able to give me something beautiful that I loved. He doesn't like simple three stones, so I'm keeping those melee and they don't bother me or look huge to me--oh well.

I completely understand and expect that the comments have all been made in good faith even if they sound more abrasive than they mean to. Message boards are especially tricky and a lot is lost in translation without tones of voices. Emotions are also HIGH when it’s your “baby” - I’m sure you’re eager to get it done and perfectly, and if you like working with David you now know the possible pros and cons! It reminds me of art critiques I endured where I’d put up a painting that was my heart and soul for a jury of peers and professionals to offer criticism - some comments were glowing, some hurtful but well meaning, some neutral, some downright ugly. Ultimately, much of that feedback pushed me to be a better artist even if it was hard to swallow - and anything else I either ignored or let it thicken my skin.

It’s a matter of balancing personal preference with wisdom of experience (which you and I might lack) and objectively good design (i.e. harmony, structural integrity, etc). I doubt anyone would mean to make you feel badly about melee that you didn’t plan on changing because you and your DH like it - some of the comments were probably just more matter of fact in style, and some ladies are also given full reign over design projects at their DH’s encouragement, and might prioritize different things (like being more open to passing off the project to someone else) - and I won’t want to speak for anyone, but they may not have known what was “fair game” to comment on. Don’t let feedback spoil your sentimental feelings about your “big” melee. Many women would be envious of it, honestly!

You’re fully entitled to cherry pick relevant feedback and disregard what doesn’t apply. If you like high set stones even though the vast majority don’t, by Jove get a high setting and be a proud constituent of the minority! I think you’ve got a remarkable cushion diamond that you and your DH should be very proud of, and it makes sense that you want it to be center stage. I think it’s why folk also like to ask questions about what your intentions are - some posters with the three stone rings with lots of melee you referenced may have been wanting a look that was more about “bling” than about the center stone! So feedback I’ve seen will align / adjust with whatever the post’s intent was, and I’ve seen similarly direct feedback in other postings.

Definitely keep us posted and I’m really curious to see the final result. I get wanting to stick with the same designer, as I’m doing the same thing even though another designer might be better. My tolerance to risk and my patience are low. I’d personally trust a mix of the feeling in my gut and the feedback given to make sure I was happy with the end product. You don’t know what you don’t know...until you find out!

Last edited:

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
@allaboutcushions I’m sure this is frustrating for you. You have been extremely gracious about some of the “helpful” suggestions and criticism. Huge grain of salt being swallowed. I realize the melee is important to your DH and therefore you as well. There are several seasoned PSers who have vast experience with custom design, and they are helpful. You are incorporating certain sentimentality that is important to you and that fact seems to get lost. Yssie’s suggestion to work with a designer is spot on. You’ve been given much to think about, I hope you get the ring of your dreams.

Thanks for the well wishes, Bonfire. I invited the opinions, and I got them in spades for sure! It's kind of funny because you'd think the posters are gonna end up wearing this ring and want to talk me out of elements that they couldn't live with. Maybe I'm spoiled but IRL the shields and rounds just don't look huge or overwhelming to me. I said it before and I'll say it again, the camera lens distorts the sizing of these as opposed to what they look like in person. That's partially why I'm good with simplifying the lines and using those straight edge baskets instead of the ornate leaves and scalloped arches. It's kind of hard to really see those details when the ring is on my finger. At work I had to take the ring off to get my coworkers opinions on the design!

I asked a dozen of them and 10 of them thought the lower setting caused my diamond to look smaller. The other two just thought I was crazy cuz they think my cushion is just big any which way you look at it or set it!

L

lydial

image.jpg @allaboutcushions I was in a similar boat re-using side stones and rounds from my original set in my redesigns, so it all makes sense now. Since you are definitely going to redesign and you are definitely going to include all of the elements (cushion, traps and rounds) have you considered a modified trellis like setting? That way you could include the DK u-prong melee you showed in one of the images, and still have some curved line elements, but still highlight the center cushion and traps? I tried to draw a picture and will see if I can upload it.

Last edited by a moderator:

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
image.jpg @allaboutcushions I was in a similar boat re-using side stones and rounds from my original set in my redesigns, so it all makes sense now. Since you are definitely going to redesign and you are definitely going to include all of the elements (cushion, traps and rounds) have you considered a modified trellis like setting? That way you could include the DK u-prong melee you showed in one of the images, and still have some curved line elements, but still highlight the center cushion and traps? I tried to draw a picture and will see if I can upload it.

Hi Lydial,
That’s a lovely drawing n design. David replied and is going to have Amy help me with the design elements. I did what Yssie suggested and noted what I liked, disliked and needed guidance with. I look forward to hearing back after this holiday.

David has been nothing but nice and more than fair to me about redoing this project. It’s like everyone here says, he really wants his customers to have their dream ring and I really appreciate that. I’ll be sure to post updates on the progress.

Thanks everyone and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Hello PS,
I have an updated design. Rockysalamander, you called it, I couldn’t just leave the design the same as the simple Kwiat ring. After several more CADs from Amy trying three other variations including the one from Lydial, this is where it has landed. Lydial, I tried your design as I liked the curved underside for the shields but the 5.8 mm length of the shields made the curve look oddly too long and bent the curve at the shoulders. I think it could have worked with shorter sidestones like regular traps.
I’m excited about this current version and am slightly apprehensive about you PSers finding issues I haven’t thought of or noticed, but I’d rather know now before I approve the CAD.
BTW, I did ask Amy to give me a visual example of a future resizing option she mentioned to me. I told her I don’t like the feel of sizing beads and she mentioned a different option but I didn’t understand. I’ve worn my current size of 4.75 my entire adult life so I don’t think it will change unless i have significant weight gain. 16EA2173-A8FB-4CBC-97FE-D16CC96552B1.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello PS,
I have an updated design. Rockysalamander, you called it, I couldn’t just leave the design the same as the simple Kwiat ring. After several more CADs from Amy trying three other variations including the one from Lydial, this is where it has landed. Lydial, I tried your design as I liked the curved underside for the shields but the 5.8 mm length of the shields made the curve look oddly too long and bent the curve at the shoulders. I think it could have worked with shorter sidestones like regular traps.
I’m excited about this current version and am slightly apprehensive about you PSers finding issues I haven’t thought of or noticed, but I’d rather know now before I approve the CAD.
BTW, I did ask Amy to give me a visual example of a future resizing option she mentioned to me. I told her I don’t like the feel of sizing beads and she mentioned a different option but I didn’t understand. I’ve worn my current size of 4.75 my entire adult life so I don’t think it will change unless i have significant weight gain. 16EA2173-A8FB-4CBC-97FE-D16CC96552B1.jpeg

This iteration looks really nice. However, I'd leave the bottom two "stations" without diamonds. Excited to see how this turns out!

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
This iteration looks really nice. However, I'd leave the bottom two "stations" without diamonds. Excited to see how this turns out!

That was another option she offered for sizing but I like the eternity even though I know they’re completely impractical and just asking for those diamonds to get chipped. But I I’ll be careful n that’s just a risk you take with eternity rings.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see the bridge peaking out under the shields where they meet the shank. Maybe ask how that will be finished.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
I can see the bridge peaking out under the shields where they meet the shank. Maybe ask how that will be finished.

Thanks! I don’t see it peaking behind from the top view (upper left) perspective, but will ask just in case. I imagine she can safely thin that bridge width from its current of 2.8 or 2.9 mm. I’m wondering if she did that because of the cutouts but maybe I don’t need the cutouts given the open area under the shields?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello PS,

I really like this! To me, the bridge on the shank is more complex than necessary. I'd go with a single shank to make cleaning easier AND eliminate the risk of seeing the shank at shallow tilt. You need to get bristles in contact to get the stones clean. But the design fits aestheticly. If you keep the bridge, make sure there is the biggest cleaning holes possible under all three stones...I don't see one in the center but it make be a Cad artifact. My last question is that from your first posts, it seems you might want the center higher. Maybe they can show you the setting with your stone at the estimated height before committing. Excuse any typos...sitting at a middle school concert....it's not good.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
I really like this! To me, the bridge on the shank is more complex than necessary. I'd go with a single shank to make cleaning easier AND eliminate the risk of seeing the shank at shallow tilt. You need to get bristles in contact to get the stones clean. But the design fits aestheticly. If you keep the bridge, make sure there is the biggest cleaning holes possible under all three stones...I don't see one in the center but it make be a Cad artifact. My last question is that from your first posts, it seems you might want the center higher. Maybe they can show you the setting with your stone at the estimated height before committing. Excuse any typos...sitting at a middle school concert....it's not good.

Can someone post a pic of a single shank like she is suggesting? If you look closely at the center head tulip, Amy got a tiny airline under the culet. Other than the basket isn’t it open enough for me to be able to clean around the entire cushion? How would a cutout hole work for the tulip base given it is so narrowed? I’m good with the 6.75. I went out and found a CZ ring that measured around 7 mm high and I found it a tad too high so I landed at 6.75. Thanks for asking n the suggestions!

L

lydial

I think it is elegant and fun! Hope you like it!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20191210_192352.jpg

This is an example of what I meant about the shank. Just a simple, solid piece of metal. Screenshot_20191211_051323.jpg

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20191210_192352.jpg

This is an example of what I meant about the shank. Just a simple, solid piece of metal. Screenshot_20191211_051323.jpg

It looks to me that Amy made the bridge like that in order to taper underneath where the pointy end of the shield meets the V point of the alternating rounds. I sent her an email asking if the bridge could be made more narrow so that it doesn’t peak out from the side view where the rounds start. However, I would only want that done without affecting the structural integrity n will wait to hear back. Either way the look of bridge doesn’t bother me. I did notice that she forgot to put cleaning holes behind the large rounds which will be prong set. She recommended against cleaning holes for the paved 1 pt rounds though.

Thoughts on cleaning holes for tiny pave diamonds? I’ve read some folks here say it’s still necessary but they’re so tiny.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Hello PS,
I will also post a few pics on the Show Me the Bling forum. Apologies for this follow up email posting almost a year later. As such is life for many of us, unexpected personal and professional issues have preoccupied my time. I wanted to thank David and Amy Klass for creating my dream ring. It came out more beautiful than I could have asked for. I can honestly say I no longer look at other ring designs with envy as I absolutely love mine and enjoy staring at it when I have the time! Attached are some of the beauty shots David sent me in Jan 2020! As well as some hand pics I just took! DKPV2020-01-17---55970---DAR--1.jpg DKPV2020-01-17---55970---DAR--2.jpg DKPV2020-01-17---55970---DAR--4.jpg thumbnail_DKPV2020-01-17---55970---DAR--5.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bravo! I know it wasnt entirely a fun experience but it came out beautiful in the end! So much prettier and aesthetically pleasing than the last version!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow it turned out beautifully! I have to say, your diamond does look larger now. This is making me rethink a low setting I currently have. Dh will be happy to hear that lol.

I know it took a while to get here but I'm so glad you are thrilled with your ring!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
What a whirlwind of a journey, twists and turns and all! The end result is beautiful! Your perseverance paid off in spades!

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the kind replies and compliments. Yes, my design journey was a challenge but totally worth it in the end as I wouldn't change anything about my final ring!

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Oh wow it turned out beautifully! I have to say, your diamond does look larger now. This is making me rethink a low setting I currently have. Dh will be happy to hear that lol.

I know it took a while to get here but I'm so glad you are thrilled with your ring!

Yes, who would think 1.25 mm would make a difference but when dealing with these little diamonds and ring details, it really does! I would never have been happy with the ultra low setting or the original design. If you can, try on some diamond rings with different heights for the setting. I felt like goldilocks trying to figure this out. I wouldn't go higher or lower than where I landed, so I found what was "just right" for me. :)

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I've just read this entire thread, wow @allaboutcushions, what a journey you have been on! Your new ring is absolutely stunning!! Congratulations on sticking to your guns and staying true to all the elements in your ring that you loved. Everything has come together beautifully! Sometimes Pricescope can be a daunting place to put yourself out there and ask for opinions, cause boy are those opinions gonna come! The thing I love about this forum though is that people here genuinely only want the best for others and to share their amazing knowledge to help people avoid the (expensive!) pitfalls of big jewellery purchases. Thanks so much for sharing your journey and the gorgeous outcome, you should be absolutely thrilled and proud, wearing that beauty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results