shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help for "First Mother's Day Gift".

BigBill

Rough_Rock
My wife and I welcomed our first child, a son, this past November. I gave her a few small gifts (flowers, wine, card) on Mother's Day, but would also like to get her something special since your first Mother's Day only comes once. I'm thinking about earrings? Maybe Topaz for our son's birth month, or perhaps emerald for May's (mother's day) stone color?

Opened to all suggestions. Just want something that she will keep and remind her of this time in our lives. My budget is pretty open. Thanks for all suggestions.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Why not diamond studs?

cheers--Sharon

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bill! That's very thoughtful of you! :))

What kind of jewelry does your wife usually wear? Yellow gold, white gold, chunky, delicate, etc.

BigBill

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1462917419|4029947 said:
Why not diamond studs?
Hey Sharon, thanks for the reply. She already has diamond studs.

E B|1462917442|4029948 said:
Hi Bill! That's very thoughtful of you! :)) What kind of jewelry does your wife usually wear? Yellow gold, white gold, chunky, delicate, etc.
Thanks for the reply EB. She basically wears her engagement ring and earrings. Not much of a necklace gal. No other rings either (except for separate wedding band).

As far as earrings, she wears both big hanging and studs. White gold mostly. Her eyes are green, so emerald would be a nice complement. But our son was born in November (hence Topaz…although not sure she is a big fan of the color). Also, I'm thinking high quality emeralds go for a pretty penny per carat these days?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Emeralds would be wonderful--come to think of it, I received some for the birth of our son for Mothers Day! I like the way you think! :appl:

Roger Dery would be a person to touch base for emeralds. A friend of mine was looking last year for a pair of emerald studs, and he was able to send me pictures of nice stones. :love:

Also, if she doesn't already have a pair of south sea pearls, I might venture there.

cheers--Sharon

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about a blue sapphire stacking band? If you have other children you could make it a tradition.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mothers day passed. Most mother's I know really put a lot of emphasis on timely gifts. So, I am confused why you are lookinh for a gift so belated. I would make sure you aren't going to irritate her by giving her something one month later. For me, getting her something quickly is the key.

I would get her a nice diamond stacking band. Erika Winters has some beautiful ones.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BigBill|1462918880|4029961 said:
She basically wears her engagement ring and earrings. Not much of a necklace gal. No other rings either (except for separate wedding band).
As far as earrings, she wears both big hanging and studs. White gold mostly. Her eyes are green, so emerald would be a nice complement. But our son was born in November (hence Topaz…although not sure she is a big fan of the color). Also, I'm thinking high quality emeralds go for a pretty penny per carat these days?
What a thoughtful husband, emerald earrings sound perfect, would be very special! :appl: And emeralds are not too "soft" for earrings.
Here are the matched pairs, most of which which would not require custom settings, that AfricaGems (in California) has listed on their web site; AG is a very reputable dealer, but the prices there do tend to be higher, unless they are holding a sale, than what I hope you would "have to" pay:
http://www.africagems.com/emerald-matched-pair.html
But I haven't browsed for emeralds recently.

For more, and more particularized, feedback, selection tips, and vendor suggestions re emeralds and/or topaz, start a new thread on the Colored Stones forum (many of the colored gem aficionados don't "hang out" here on the Rocky Talky board, which is intended for diamonds discussion).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/colored-stones.11/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/colored-stones.11/[/URL]

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww, you are very sweet to think of getting her something like this! I don't want to post too many colored stone links on RockyTalky, since it's technically about diamonds only, but I agree with Molly: come to CS and we'd love to help you find something perfect :appl:

ETA: CS = colored stones area of the forum :)

BigBill

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Pearls are an interesting idea. And I have never heard of stacking rings. Some beautiful ones above. Will have to look more into them.

At this point, I find myself leaning towards emerald earrings (thanks for the emerald links). I should definitely head over to the colored stones forum to do more research. Thanks again for the great suggestions!
:wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you do have a comfortably large budget, I would like to recommend two things. One, instead of emeralds, I'd go for tsavorite. They have that beautiful emerald green color, but are harder and more durable and they also have a higher refractive index so that means they sparkle more. Second is a nice Right Hand Ring for her with a tsavorite center.

Something like this: https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/307-cts-natural-tsavorite
Set into this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133771051401753144/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bill, I don't want to go on about colored gems here on the Rocky Talky board, but since others may read this thread in the future, I'd like to say that you need not shy away from emeralds for earrings!
(Some of us have emerald engagement rings that have stood up to years of daily wear :)) )

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Need help for "First Mother's Day Gift".

I have 3 kids and I have an eternity band of each one's birthstone (my middle child was born in April, so my diamond eternity wedding band counts for him,) and I also have a band that is bezel set emeralds and diamonds. I typically wear my wedding band, one of the gemstone bands and then either my e-ring or a platinum band with diamonds. If your wife's e ring and wedding band aren't a set this might be a cool thing to do. If her rings were made to fit together or are super matching then it probably isn't a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results