shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding lab-created emerald (not sure if this is the right place?)

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
Hi, all,

Firstly, I am not certain if this is the right area of the Web site to ask about lab-created coloured stones; I looked but couldn't find a specific spot for that. If PriceScope isn't even the right place in general for this question, then I apologise deeply and would like to be pointed in the right direction. I'm new here and desperate not to step on any toes.

I found a place that sells lab-created stones: gemsngems.com

Is this site reputable?

I also stumbled across chatham.com.

I really appreciate any help you can offer. I am in the process of designing my dream emerald ring. I cannot afford a natural stone in the size I want so I am looking to the lab for help there. I am planning to set the stone with natural diamonds in platinum. I'll need help there, too, but for now I want to find the main stone first.

Thank you all very much for your help, and again, I am really sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use the "report concern" button to have the thread moved to the "fabulous fashion jewelry " sub forum. That is where we can discuss lab stones :)

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
Gene of precisiongem has two lab-created emerald options available, and he takes commissions on his lab stones. I haven’t bought emerald from him, but I did purchase a lab sapphire and it is so, so gorgeous. He was really easy to work with, and the turnaround time for my project was super quick - like a week. Not sure what his waitlist is like at the moment, though!

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the tip! Now that you mention it, I think I visited his site a while back, but didn't find what I was looking for. I'll reach out to him.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my lab EC Emerald from Jeff White, not sure if he still has any rough or not, however, it is worth contacting me to enquire.

Gary at Finewater Gems had an EC lab Emerald recently, however, it has been sold (still visible on his website under new stones though). Again, it is worth contacting him to see if he has any rough.

DK :))

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I really appreciate all of the help thus far! I have reached out to Gene, Gary, and Jeff (that is, if Jeff is based in Las Vegas - if not, I sent the wrong Jeff a message!). Fingers crossed! The size I want is a bit insane. :)

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and the stone on Gary's site is exactly the colour and cut I'm going for! Emeralds really give me the shivers, I just adore them.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I'm incredibly bummed - apparently the size stone I want is too large to be feasibly cut from lab-grown rough. Gene from Precision Gems and Gary from Finewater Gems both were kind enough to explain why that wouldn't work out. I'm waiting to hear back from Gene about the largest size I could expect to see, without windowing or other defects, from lab-created rough.

By the way, has anyone done business with the sites I mentioned in the OP - gemsngems.com and chatham.com?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's a shame about the size, but im very much looking forward to see what you end up with

im sure it will still be a show stopper

i love eneralds and one day i might be looking for a lab created one also

good luck and keep us in the loop =)2

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
that's a shame about the size, but im very much looking forward to see what you end up with

im sure it will still be a show stopper

i love eneralds and one day i might be looking for a lab created one also

good luck and keep us in the loop =)2

:) Emeralds are my favourite stone by far. I would love a natural one, but, well. I hope what I end up with is what I'm imagining! I've wanted a ring like this for over a decade.

I'll keep everyone updated :)

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stag and finch cut all kinds of lab gems.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
Stag and finch cut all kinds of lab gems.

Thank you so much for that!! Do you know if they're able to cut really large gems? I've all but given up on the search, to be honest, because the size I want is apparently not able to be cut without the stone windowing a lot. I've just about decided to wait and see if that changes; i.e., if lab-grown rough improves to the point where larger stones can be cut without windowing.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for that!! Do you know if they're able to cut really large gems? I've all but given up on the search, to be honest, because the size I want is apparently not able to be cut without the stone windowing a lot. I've just about decided to wait and see if that changes; i.e., if lab-grown rough improves to the point where larger stones can be cut without windowing.

I would really trust a precision cutter's opinion on this rather than trying to get someone to cut a large one and then being disappointed.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How big are you looking for? Precision Gem cuts amazing lab stones with no windowing that I have seen, and Stag and Finch are the same.

EDIT. I saw that both Precision Gem and Finewater explained that the size you want isn't feasible in lab rough. That makes me suspect that it just isn't feasible period by anyone, since those 2 are among the best lapidary artists.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I believe it said on their website 4mm up to 8mm. Not sure if they could do a special order for something larger.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
How big are you looking for? Precision Gem cuts amazing lab stones with no windowing that I have seen, and Stag and Finch are the same.

EDIT. I saw that both Precision Gem and Finewater explained that the size you want isn't feasible in lab rough. That makes me suspect that it just isn't feasible period by anyone, since those 2 are among the best lapidary artists.

Those two guys were really responsive and kind, and made it clear that the size I want is't cut-able by anyone without windowing and other issues. I have decided not to look elsewhere, as I trust their opinions - after all, they were highly recommended here on PS! :)

I want a 12x16mm stone. That is insane, I know, but the heart wants what the heart wants. Or something. I might admit defeat and do 9x12, which is apparently feasible, but I think I'm still in the "Darn" phase since finding out the size I want isn't possible.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I would really trust a precision cutter's opinion on this rather than trying to get someone to cut a large one and then being disappointed.

Yep, I decided to do just that - trust their opinions and accept that it is what it is. :)

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I believe it said on their website 4mm up to 8mm. Not sure if they could do a special order for something larger.

They said something larger than that will lead to windowing and just poor saturation of colour in general, and would also be a sad, thin little stone. (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist.) Oh, well. I'll just wait a while, see if this changes over time, and if it doesn't, then accept that a smaller stone is in my future. :) There are worse things, after all!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
@Emerald City, following your journey to find your dream stone :) Emeralds are my fave too!! It's a shame that the size you want might be more difficult/impossible to find in lab material. 12x9 is not a bad compromise. It's still huge!! :)

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Emerald City I recently purchased a 3.02 ct emerald cut emerald from Gary at Finewater Gems and am thinking about selling it since I have way too many unset stones. If you are interested, let me know and we could connect via LT.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Emerald City I recently purchased a 3.02 ct emerald cut emerald from Gary at Finewater Gems and am thinking about selling it since I have way too many unset stones. If you are interested, let me know and we could connect via LT.

If she passes, I am interested.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Hmm this thread is very educational for me, thanks @Emerald City for posting. I saw these fabulous lab emerald earrings and the bottom pear is 10x16mm. Maybe if I ever get these made I'll have to scale them down a little.

emerald earrings 2.jpg

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
@Grymera I have always admired your beautiful Avatar ring--love the wire-work!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@Grymera I have always admired your beautiful Avatar ring--love the wire-work!

Thank you - all the credit goes to Victor! When I saw the original Grymera ring on PS in 2012 my heart stopped and I knew it was the one for me. Technically my ring is the Irys with added diamond cuffs and pave gallery because the Grymera requires a 3ct+ stone and the Irys can be scaled down to 2ct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results