shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a bargain 1ct Asscher ($3K-4.5k)

john_john

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1398140699|3657610 said:
I don't like the D. And if the G Si is the same one as in the video John did for another customer, I didn't care for it either.

I really like your J, and I understand your hesitation about the color, but have it shipped to you and see what you think.

Thanks for following up Gypsy :D I just reviewed Jon's latest asscher video and the G SI1 isn't in that video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEU1m4Qcm4&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA. I was thinking I'd call him first thing tomorrow morning and ask him if I should hold out for photos or just send the J along my way.

Lets say the G SI1's cut is as good as the J...do you think the price is good?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's above the budget you had originally set so I'm not comfortable telling you to spend more. Do I think it's a fair price if the stone is very nice? Sure. But I can't make the call on whether you should raise your budget to get it. Only you can do that. ;))

See if John can send you the pics ASAP.

john_john

Rough_Rock
I spoke with Jon this morning and he recommended to stick with the J as the G SI1's cut doesn't compare. I'll have my 1.15ct J VS2 delivered tomorrow morning to give it a look in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
john_john|1398182602|3657831 said:
I spoke with Jon this morning and he recommended to stick with the J as the G SI1's cut doesn't compare. I'll have my 1.15ct J VS2 delivered tomorrow morning to give it a look in person.
cool. here is something to keep in mind: the majority of true antique stones are going to be at J or K because most are from a mine of the time that only produced stones of that color. So while I know the original is an E in the erstwhile link, this is highly unusual for most antiques. You J is actually going to look more like a true antique of the time.

A little tint is okay. Hopefully you'll like the stone. Keep in mind the sides will largely be covered up by your setting. So pay attention to the face up of the stone more so than the sides.

john_john

Rough_Rock
So my diamond came today and I've had an opportunity to observe it at home, work, and at Brilliant Earth in SF. First things first, the cut is awesome (expected). I am feeling like it does look warm face up though.

I brought it to Brilliant Earth in SF to compare with their lab created 1.07ct & 1.13ct H VVS2 diamonds, both had equally awesome cuts compared to my 1.15ct J VS2. Their showroom was small with several windows and lots of natural sunlight. BE's lab diamonds are not GIA certified, so its tough to know if GIA would actually grade their diamonds as an H. That being said, I could fairly easily pick out my diamond vs the other two by color alone.

I guess at this point I have to decide if that color is preferable based on my intent to reproduce a vintage ring. Gypsy brings up a great point about the common color range of diamonds in the 1920s.

Here's some quick photos at my work (fluorescent lighting and little natural sunlight combo): http://imgur.com/a/iGo8K

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks wonderful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what about those James Allen ones? Did you hear back about those? or did you not reserve them?

personally i love that one, nice size, looks plenty white to me, and doesn't it even have an itty bitty culet? I dunno if it did i feel like even if its hardly noticeable it just has so much vintage appeal.

But don't get swept up in what we think and end up hating the color 2 years down the line.

john_john

Rough_Rock
Right. So James Allen should get back to me by Friday with the ASETs. I also the option of a nice looking 1.03ct G SI1 for $4350 at Joe Escobar where I'm getting my setting made (though its LW is smaller: around 5.45mm LW).

I'm also going to go to Lang Antiques in SF tomorrow to carefully look at some antique rings with J,K, color and platinum to get a sense of how I like that combination.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
john_john|1398303559|3658866 said:
Right. So James Allen should get back to me by Friday with the ASETs. I also the option of a nice looking 1.03ct G SI1 for $4350 at Joe Escobar where I'm getting my setting made (though its LW is smaller: around 5.45mm LW).

I'm also going to go to Lang Antiques in SF tomorrow to carefully look at some antique rings with J,K, color and platinum to get a sense of how I like that combination.

smart, see what platinum does to the color.

john_john

Rough_Rock
Here's the ASETs for two of the JA diamonds we were looking at (one of them had to be shipped and would've taken too long to get the ASET for):

From JA:

I am happy to tell you that the gemologist found both diamonds to be very lively performers! They both have a great alternating pattern of light and dark that you would expect in a well performing asscher; as well as having an excellent amount of brilliance (white light return), fire (dispersion of color) and sparkle that is well balanced and symmetrical. His personal favorite of the two was the 1.01 carat-H-VS1 (diamond 172140; $4,430) as the facets are well aligned and the diamond has a perfect square shape. It is a true "H" in color and while it is not as white as the "F", it is still a nice white face up. The 00.94 carat-F-SI2 (diamond 294380; $3,440) is a bright, icy white color and the it has a more "octagonal" shape that the gemologist found less appealing. Both diamonds are also completely "eye clean".

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.94-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-sku-294380
294380.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-172140
172140.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if you mentioned anywhere that you are aware of how small a 1ct Asscher faces up compared to a round 1ct ???
To me the "J" still rules. Are you not happy with it?

john_john

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1398367421|3659293 said:
I'm not sure if you mentioned anywhere that you are aware of how small a 1ct Asscher faces up compared to a round 1ct ???

Just trying to do my due diligence. I'm still evaluating how I feel about the J color. Going to look at some antique rings with J's in an hour.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
john_john|1398367800|3659302 said:
Jimmianne|1398367421|3659293 said:

Just trying to do my due diligence. I'm still evaluating how I feel about the J color. Going to look at some antique rings with J's in an hour.

Ah. Good idea.
You know, it took all my good will to encourage you about the J ...
I too am looking at GOG Asschers and that J looks good to me :lol:

Will be educational to hear what you have to say about J color...

All the Best!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to ignore the gemologist comments from JA. Their idea of what to look for in an asscher (as demonstrated by the fact that they didn't like the octagonal outline of the F stone) baffles me.

The H faces up very small. But it does have a good ASET.
The G also has a decent ASET though it showing a small P3 issue.

Of the two, since in my opinion the H is too small, I'd go for the F.

Can you take your J with you to Joe Escobar and compare the performance to the G they have there? I think that would be the best thing to do. Joe E can (and has for me) place your J into many of their white metal settings (just place it into the basket) so you can see what it would look like. I always find that so helpful.

They will literally spend a couple hours with you. So I'd take the GOG stone and go to Joe E.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1398376992|3659391 said:
I tend to ignore the gemologist comments from JA. Their idea of what to look for in an asscher (as demonstrated by the fact that they didn't like the octagonal outline of the F stone) baffles me.

I know! I got the same spiel at my local jeweler.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
From an ASET learning perspective, does the F from JA have p3 angles given the dark centre? The H has a bit but has some green in it. So that ok?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1398382211|3659438 said:
From an ASET learning perspective, does the F from JA have p3 angles given the dark centre? The H has a bit but has some green in it. So that ok?

Green is not a problem. It's the lack of any color at the center steps there that shows the P3 issue. That's why the F has it and the H doesn't. Green is fine at the center facets. It's reflected light.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Got it. Shades of dark green are ok; because it's green which means reflected light. Just 'black' like some parts of the h, is not good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black and Blue are okay. It's just WHERE they are and HOW MUCH OF THEM IS THERE that matters. You want some contrast after all for patterning.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, just a out of the box suggestion...did you happen to see the GOG video on the 0.93 ct. Octavia asscher. I saw it after I viewed the video they made for you. I know the color is an O but it sure looked fab on the video. I loved the fire and performance. I wonder if you could view that stone since you've already made a deposit with GOG anyway. The face up size is right where your minimum is, 5.47 mm or thereabouts. I know, I'm probably out of line to suggest, but with performance like that, it can mask color very well. It makes me think an Octavia is in my future at some point for a RHR :lol:

john_john

Rough_Rock
Alright, I'm sticking with my GOG 1.15ct J VS2 :D Erik at Joe Escobar has it and the reproduction of the vintage tiffany engagement ring is ordered. I decided to just go for the J and if we decide the color is a problem later down the road I'll just sell it and buy a different diamond.

I think the J is going to look just great in the setting I've chosen though.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
john_john|1398709887|3662022 said:
Alright, I'm sticking with my GOG 1.15ct J VS2 :D Erik at Joe Escobar has it and the reproduction of the vintage tiffany engagement ring is ordered. I decided to just go for the J and if we decide the color is a problem later down the road I'll just sell it and buy a different diamond.

I think the J is going to look just great in the setting I've chosen though.

yea! :appl: :appl:

I think the J with a vintage ring will be super. It's a beautiful diamond.

Can't wait to see your ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results