shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Deciding on a Diamond

Caspian12

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I need help deciding whether or not to buy this diamond. I probably have to make a final decision by Monday.

It's a GIA triple EX with a HCA of 1.9. More measurements are below.

Table: 57%
Depth: 62.3%
Crown Angle: 36.0%
Pavillion Angle: 40.6%
Girdle: Slightly Thick (4.0%)

I'm worried about light return and brilliance. I've included an Ideal Scope image of the diamond at the bottom of this. What do you think of the leakage/light return of this stone? What kind of brilliance score (%) do you think this would score?

What I like about this diamond is the contrast and optical symmetry of it compared to my other options (unfortunately, no images on those). I like seeing the arrows pop when I see a stone. Also, I'm more into fire and scintillation than brilliance but am really looking for all three.

Do you think I should buy this diamond??

Thanks for all the help. I've been learning so much from this forum and I appreciate the insights I find here.

Have a great weekend everyone!

is_image.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think this stone is probably fine. The IS looks good.

I was going to link you to a post that Garry Holloway commented in about seeing leakage in IS images. He basically said that
we were going overboard in how critical we were being. I cant seem to find the post right now though. If/when I find it I will
link it for you (or if anyone else knows where it is).

Caspian12

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I wonder, too, if I'm overanalyzing. I'd love to read that post if you can find it. I haven't come across it before.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you looked at the HCA scoring, you'll see that this angle combination gets very good for light return, scintillation, and spread and excellent for fire. I, personally, would want excellent for light return always, and also for fire and scintillation. Most ideal cut stones get very good for spread, so that is not an issue.

Can you get an ASET image on the stone? Stones with 34.0-35.5 crown angles are going to probably have better light return since you seem concerned about that. Do I think this stone is good enough to buy? Yes, probably. Would I buy it for myself? No. Just depends on what your priorities are. And of course, price is usually a consideration for most of us.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've read Gary's recent article. And this stone does have excellent right return.

I think it's a lovely stone. Go for it.

I wish I had the link now, but I don't if I find it, I'll post it

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not mind 36.0/40.6 combo as long as the IS confirms there is no light leakage, and the spread is not too compromised.

I like this.

Caspian12

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much! Really informative. I'm going to stress less about light return.

Caspian12

Rough_Rock
I requested an ASET along with a gemologist inspection but unfortunately nothing else is on file. When I first punched in the numbers and got the HCA score, I was worried about the Very Good for brilliance. I like having everything be Excellent, both in GIA and HCA. Lots to think about. Thanks for your thoughts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results