shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing a cushion and setting

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Thank you everyone for your help so far on this forum. I have been saved from making a bad purchase on a previous thread. I am looking for some help on choosing a cushion diamond and setting for my future fiancé. Some details about her: She is in her upper 20s. She is not gaudy at all. She doesn't wear a crazy amount of jewelry, but when she does she is usually into costume jewelry. When she wears fancier jewelry to weddings/formal events its usually simple. She also loves infinity symbols. She has a ring and a necklace with the infinity symbol and has even talked about getting a tattoo of one. I was thinking of incorporating that into the ring (thanks to great advice from another poster on here). Just to give you an idea about the type of person she is. She is a HUGE animal lover. Especially dogs. She loves being outside, walking our dog, and going to the beach. Some details about the diamond I am looking for:

CT: 1.2 - 1.35
Clarity: VS1 or VS2
Color: E or F
Polish: X or VG
Symmetry: X or VG
Fluorescence: None or Faint
Table: Ideally under 70
Depth: Ideally under 70
Spending Limit: $8,500

I am open to all suggestions/advice. Thank you in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you want square or oblong is ok?

Also...does the $8500 include the setting or just the stone?

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1469653117|4059983 said:
Did you want square or oblong is ok?

Also...does the $8500 include the setting or just the stone?

Id prefer square. Yes that includes the setting.

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1469653327|4059984 said:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C120-6Z039073Z (ask for ASET image)

I will take a look. Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
Just a general question, around what price should I be paying for a 1.3 VS1 or VS2 E or F cushion cut? Just the diamond, not including the setting.

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock

I asked for ASET and am awaiting a reply. I am starting to lean towards 1.3 CT as I feel 1.2 looks a little small. Not sure if this can work with my budget.

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondrookie22|1469722055|4060219 said:

I asked for ASET and am awaiting a reply. I am starting to lean towards 1.3 CT as I feel 1.2 looks a little small. Not sure if this can work with my budget.

You probably could, it's just finding one. Would you drop to a G color? That would open up more options. Cushions are already hard to find so limiting to an E or F is really keeping options low.

diamondrookie22 said:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/259175...ery_42&from_reg=2&joined=contact-seller&box=1

I really love this setting a lot. What do people think? Also I noticed theres a round rock in the setting in that picture, does that mean a cushion would not fit well in this setting?

I'm really not certain if i like it. It's definitely unusual. A wedding band would not sit flush because of how the infinity symbol sticks out. The pictures are CADs, they're not real life photos. I'd have to see real photos to see if i liked it. Also, you want to be wary of buying off of etsy from a vendor that's not so well known. She has great reviews but not a lot. it could turn out BEAUTIFULLY or it could just be really bad. this is a pre-set ring with a Moissanite that's listed so you'd have to request a custom ring for your cushion. she does have some very nice looking rings though but do you want to take a chance with an E-ring?

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1469734021|4060288 said:
diamondrookie22|1469722055|4060219 said:

You probably could, it's just finding one. Would you drop to a G color? That would open up more options. Cushions are already hard to find so limiting to an E or F is really keeping options low.

I kind of want to stick with E, F. She is a quality over quantity type of person. If I absolutely HAD to go to G to get the price I would, but would like to keep it EF.

diamondrookie22 said:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/259175...ery_42&from_reg=2&joined=contact-seller&box=1

I really love this setting a lot. What do people think? Also I noticed theres a round rock in the setting in that picture, does that mean a cushion would not fit well in this setting?

I'm really not certain if i like it. It's definitely unusual. A wedding band would not sit flush because of how the infinity symbol sticks out. The pictures are CADs, they're not real life photos. I'd have to see real photos to see if i liked it. Also, you want to be wary of buying off of etsy from a vendor that's not so well known. She has great reviews but not a lot. it could turn out BEAUTIFULLY or it could just be really bad. this is a pre-set ring with a Moissanite that's listed so you'd have to request a custom ring for your cushion. she does have some very nice looking rings though but do you want to take a chance with an E-ring?

The fact that it was from Etsy was the only thing that made me hesitant which is why I brought in on here. I do think it is unique though and up her alley. I messaged the vendor seeing if it is even possible to get that ring custom for a cushion cut. I will see what she says and take it from there.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Look what i found, a Stuller setting almost exactly like what you posted! :dance: I knew there had to be something similar out there.

http://www.stuller.com/products/123157/?groupId=194930&categoryId=21370

ETA: THis says it's for a round.... not seeing this setting for a cushion, i hope i didn't rais hopes for nothing! :doh:

If you did that other Stuller setting, i'd definitely do an infinity style wedding band with it. But you say she adores infinity signs so i think the infinity in the gallery may not be for her.

Color does not = quality. Some people LOVE warmer stones. Myself, one day would love to have a K+ colored pear. Love them SO much.

Near colorless is not easy to distinguish by just anyone. i wouldn't be adamant about an E or F unless you know your girlfriend is truly color sensitive. Usually the artist types will be able to see color in a near colorless stone. Some G stones will be closer on the spectrum to an F and others closer in spectrum to an H. You can always have it inspected or compared to an F stone before buying.

Good summary on near colorless stones:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/near-colorless

Unless you're certain she'd look at the stone and immediately know that it's not an F colored stone, i wouldn't dismiss the option.

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1469738729|4060313 said:
Look what i found, a Stuller setting almost exactly like what you posted! :dance: I knew there had to be something similar out there.

http://www.stuller.com/products/123157/?groupId=194930&categoryId=21370

ETA: THis says it's for a round.... not seeing this setting for a cushion, i hope i didn't rais hopes for nothing! :doh:

If you did that other Stuller setting, i'd definitely do an infinity style wedding band with it. But you say she adores infinity signs so i think the infinity in the gallery may not be for her.

Color does not = quality. Some people LOVE warmer stones. Myself, one day would love to have a K+ colored pear. Love them SO much.

Near colorless is not easy to distinguish by just anyone. i wouldn't be adamant about an E or F unless you know your girlfriend is truly color sensitive. Usually the artist types will be able to see color in a near colorless stone. Some G stones will be closer on the spectrum to an F and others closer in spectrum to an H. You can always have it inspected or compared to an F stone before buying.

Good summary on near colorless stones:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/near-colorless

Unless you're certain she'd look at the stone and immediately know that it's not an F colored stone, i wouldn't dismiss the option.

She would never notice. Honestly her mom is more worried about that. So I figured I would stay in that range to keep her happy. But my future fiancé would never notice she's not crazy into diamonds.

The etsy woman got back to me she said she can only do round in that setting so I have a feeling the one you sent could be the same but I'll look into it.

I'm a little confused by what you said here:" if you did that other Stuller setting, i'd definitely do an infinity style wedding band with it. But you say she adores infinity signs so i think the infinity in the gallery may not be for her." Was hoping you can clarify. If the gallery means that middle part in the ring (I'm not sure). I think she would like it in there.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I was confusing! I simply meant that if she loves the infinity sign so much, she may prefer a setting like the Gabriel or Sholdt ones where the infinity sign is visible on the engagement ring band. (Yes the gallery refers to the side of the ring.) But I do think the solitaire with an infinity wedding band is an elegant look. And a solitaire allows for stacking of anniversary bands too. :Up_to_something:

And yes, lots of people think a colorless diamond is the bees knees and nothing else will do. :lol: go with what your comfortable with!

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1469755628|4060382 said:
I'm sorry I was confusing! I simply meant that if she loves the infinity sign so much, she may prefer a setting like the Gabriel or Sholdt ones where the infinity sign is visible on the engagement ring band. (Yes the gallery refers to the side of the ring.) But I do think the solitaire with an infinity wedding band is an elegant look. And a solitaire allows for stacking of anniversary bands too. :Up_to_something:

And yes, lots of people think a colorless diamond is the bees knees and nothing else will do. :lol: go with what your comfortable with!

Thanks a lot for your help Farrah! Right now I am leaning toward the solitaire one so I can spend more money on the rock and get a bigger one. I called a jeweler in my area to get a price on the stuller one you sent to me and he said $600. Does that sound about right? I was thinking solitaires usually only cost like 300-500.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondrookie22|1469798311|4060513 said:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8469303-1.50-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8469303&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Obviously id have to see it in person to know for sure, but what do people think about this diamond? Seems pretty reasonable.

See if you can get an aset on it. Looks like it is going to be fuzzy on the inside rim of the table. Aset will show if true or not.

could_be_fuzzy.png

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondrookie22|1469797800|4060509 said:

Thanks a lot for your help Farrah! Right now I am leaning toward the solitaire one so I can spend more money on the rock and get a bigger one. I called a jeweler in my area to get a price on the stuller one you sent to me and he said $600. Does that sound about right? I was thinking solitaires usually only cost like 300-500.

Oh, it's going to be beautiful! i can just imagine her surprise when she gets a good look at the ring and sees the infinity sign in the gallery.

On price, i have no idea what it should run. But, i'd call around to several different jewelers and get a price. I really do think tho that you should call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. He often helps Pricescopers and is VERY reasonable. I know he can get the Stuller setting. He could help you source a stone too. One stop shopping is always great! Ask about the other infinity stuller setting too, never know if it can accommodate a cushion stone. There is a version with diamonds and without. the version without may be comparable in price to the one with the infinity in the gallery. It's worth asking, you know?

I don't know too much about cushions but it looks a little mushy in the center. hard to tell without a video. Compare it to the photo of the one gypsy posted and you'll see the difference, the one she posted is nice and crisp.

If you're going with a solitaire, are you willing to raise your budget a bit on the diamond?

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1469799264|4060520 said:
diamondrookie22|1469798311|4060513 said:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8469303-1.50-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8469303&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Obviously id have to see it in person to know for sure, but what do people think about this diamond? Seems pretty reasonable.

See if you can get an aset on it. Looks like it is going to be fuzzy on the inside rim of the table. Aset will show if true or not.

I asked for an ASET. They said they will have it for me on Monday. I will post it in here when I receive it.

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
Oh, it's going to be beautiful! i can just imagine her surprise when she gets a good look at the ring and sees the infinity sign in the gallery.

On price, i have no idea what it should run. But, i'd call around to several different jewelers and get a price. I really do think tho that you should call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. He often helps Pricescopers and is VERY reasonable. I know he can get the Stuller setting. He could help you source a stone too. One stop shopping is always great! Ask about the other infinity stuller setting too, never know if it can accommodate a cushion stone. There is a version with diamonds and without. the version without may be comparable in price to the one with the infinity in the gallery. It's worth asking, you know?

I don't know too much about cushions but it looks a little mushy in the center. hard to tell without a video. Compare it to the photo of the one gypsy posted and you'll see the difference, the one she posted is nice and crisp.

If you're going with a solitaire, are you willing to raise your budget a bit on the diamond?

I will definitely ask about that one as well as I really do like it. Thanks for the referral. I will reach out to him to see what his price will be. Yes I think id be able to afford a bigger diamond going with solitaire hoping for maybe a 1.4 E/F or 1.5 G.

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
Farrah do you have the link to the one without the diamonds?

diamondrookie22

Rough_Rock
I was thinking maybe making the infinity symbol in the gallery rose gold. Stuller allows that option and my future fiancé is a huge fan of rose gold jewelry. Is rose gold allowed in the engagement world or should it be all white?

stullere2c0cjr4.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondrookie22|1469817633|4060633 said:
I was thinking maybe making the infinity symbol in the gallery rose gold. Stuller allows that option and my future fiancé is a huge fan of rose gold jewelry. Is rose gold allowed in the engagement world or should it be all white?

stullere2c0cjr4.jpg

absolutely fine! Makes me really think you've found your setting in this one. It's simple, she loves rose gold and infinity signs.... it can't get any better than this i think. :dance: Now you just need to find your stone, great progress!

look how beautiful a solitaire looks with an infinity style wedding band

soliinfinity.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results