shape
carat
color
clarity

Need E-ring Design Help / Inspiration - Ajaffe Tulip, Stuller Floral

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, hope this is the right place for this. My partner and I have been looking at settings, and I now have some ideas about what she likes (and what I like). Considering going with a custom design, and I'm looking to good folks at PS to help with inspiration and to get the details of the design right.

First, what we don't want. My partner does not want a "basic b*tch" solitaire. :) Her words, not mine, and no offense to those with beautiful, elegant Tiffany and similar solitaires (which, I personally, happen to love). We initially though we'd like vintage looking settings, but after trying a few on, it seems that we want something that has bits of vintage, but not overly so.

Some pertinent details:

Center stone: ~2.25 ct PS vendor RMB SIC - I'm still shopping for the perfect stone, but it will likely be a SIC in the 2.0-2.5 carat range
Size: 4.5 - My partner has long (2.75 in / 70 mm), skinny (size 4.5 US) fingers.
Metal: Platinum, maybe with rose gold accents or on the inside of the shank.

We'd like a design where the center stone is still the focus, and initially avoided halo's since we felt that the main stone often felt lost in the halo. After trying lots of things on, we've keep coming back to the designs below:

Up first, is the A.Jaffe Nature Inspired Tulip Design

I really love how the "petals" curve around the side, and how the tops of the petals still sit below the top of the ring, and still have "gaps" to that the halo they make still puts the emphasis on the center stone. We didn't love the shank on this, and would probably want a slightly wider shank (though maybe tapering at the top) with some milgrain or other more vintage elements. This design didn't have the signature A.Jaffe quilting on the inside of the shank, but we'd probably like it even more if it did. The ring in the hand photos is shown with a 2.5 ct cubic zirconia center stone.

PXL_20210128_000637332 (1).jpg

PXL_20210128_000328778.jpg

raised_a.jaffe_.jpg

Up next, is a Scott Kay, Heaven's Gate 31-SK5805ERW-E.

(I wasn't able to find much of anything about this online, so I'm guessing it's an older, discontinued design).

This stone has a much more ornate, vintage style backet/halo. My partner loved all of the milgrain, and we like the shank style of this better than the A.Jaffe. The ring shown in the hand photos is supposedly only a 1 ct center stone, but seems much bigger to me in this setting. My biggest reservation with this setting is that the center stone feels a little lost. I'm not sure if it would have the same issue scaled up to fit a 2+ ct stone though.

PXL_20210206_232547375.jpg

PXL_20210206_233928936.jpg

scott-kay-sk5805erw-e-heavens-gate.jpg

Up next is the Stuller Floral-Inspired ring

Featured here on PS before by
@icy_jade (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-05-cbi-from-hpd.242718/)
@kmoro (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-two-week-club.241629/page-19#post-4506532)

This seems very similar in concept to the A.Jaffe. We haven't been able to try this one on in person, so photos are pulled from previous posts here.

5CB2D25E-CB36-4D92-8C93-3047CFF60A50.png

841E7E4C-04CF-4A93-971F-044E71109B1E.png

60408F5D-322E-483F-8F4A-4AA638AD1089.png

upload_2018-8-7_17-40-0.png

Ok, hope that's a good start for inspiration. Any other similar designs or designers I should be looking at?

Any ideas on how to combine some of the more vintage style aspects (milgrain, etc) of the Scott Kay, with the cleaner halo's of the A.Jaffe and Stuller designs?

Any finally, suggestions for someone to work with? I've heard nothing but great things about David Klass here, but I've heard it helps to have a clear vision of what you want (and I'm not sure I do yet). :)

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210128_000637332.jpg
    PXL_20210128_000637332.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 22
  • raised_a.jaffe_.jpg
    raised_a.jaffe_.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear OP, although you said "no offense", I'm offended. I am sure there are others whose sensibilities are not as delicate as mine, so hopefully they will chime in. Just a word of advice, when you are asking for advice, there is some information that can be omitted. I'm not of the generation that has embraced the term "basic b****" so I take it for what the words mean. Best of luck. I'm out.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you and your GF are both drawn to a floral style, and IMHO many of these are what I would consider a halo, or at least a modified halo.

I think the first step is to finalize your diamond. Don't choose the setting before choosing the stone. I would choose the stone and then work with the vendor to find a setting. Life will be much easier if you go with one vendor for both stone + setting. Obviously some of us do it differently, but it will be easier to keep it all with one vendor.

If you tell us which vendor you are working with?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't likely use the diamond vendor for the setting if you go with an unusual design. I do think it would be better to decide on one of the settings you are looking at, though. This could turn out badly trying to get all the elements right going custom. I think Stuller wouldn't quite be the same quality as a designer setting, though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't likely use the diamond vendor for the setting if you go with an unusual design. I do think it would be better to decide on one of the settings you are looking at, though. This could turn out badly trying to get all the elements right going custom. I think Stuller wouldn't quite be the same quality as a designer setting, though.

Agreed. I think if OP is using a PS vendor then that vendor can likely source designer settings. That will make things much easier vs going custom

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Dear OP, although you said "no offense", I'm offended. I am sure there are others whose sensibilities are not as delicate as mine, so hopefully they will chime in. Just a word of advice, when you are asking for advice, there is some information that can be omitted. I'm not of the generation that has embraced the term "basic b****" so I take it for what the words mean. Best of luck. I'm out.

Oh no @LLJsmom!! I'm soooo, sooo truly sorry, and I really didn't mean to offend (though clearly I have). I meant it playfully, and as I noted, I personally love basic solitaire settings myself.

I've learned so much from your posts and comments here, and it saddens me to know that I've offended you in any way. I am a huge fan of you and your ring. Please accept my most sincere apologies, and know that it would mean the world to me to have your input.

I'd love to edit my post to correct my poor choice of words, if I can figure out how.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. I think if OP is using a PS vendor then that vendor can likely source designer settings. That will make things much easier vs going custom

I agree. I think Whiteflash carries more designer brands than any other superideal vendor.

@CutMonkey , if you are considering Whiteflash, look at their list of designer setting brands. Then go to their websites and look at all their settings. WF can't picture them all on their site, but they can order any of them.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! As I noted, I'm still looking for just the right stone, and I've been scanning the inventory at WF, BGD, VC, and HPD for a month or so. From what I've seen here, I can't go wrong with any of those vendors. Just waiting for the right stone.

I've done quite a bit of searching online for options from various designers, and we've spent a fair bit of time some local stores trying things on. After all of that, the three I posted here looked the most promising. Each has elements that we like, but none has all of the elements together. That's why I was asking here for guidance on possibly getting a custom design made. I've seen beautiful rings here that folks have had made by DK, CVB, BGD, VC, and others, so I was thinking of taking the plunge and going custom to get exactly what I want. I just need some more ideas and input to solidify in my mind exactly what it is I want. :)

WF is currently out of commission due the the storm in Texas, but they do carry A.Jaffe, and I'll be checking with them to see what my options are. I was thinking there would likely be limits on how much customization could be done to a specific designer ring, but, if it's possible to customize the A.Jaffe with a wider shank and some milgrain detailing, maybe that would be good enough. Open to any and all other ideas and suggestions.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CutMonkey , thanks for the sincere apology. I'll just pretend you never used those words and let's move on.

Just to confirm, are you sure your partner will be ok losing the round outline of her stone for the long haul as most of the settings you are considering have petal outlines? Will she get tired of that over time? Just checking...

I heartily agree with @lovedogs. Before spending too much time on redesigning a designer setting or even creating your own, it might be much easier to find the right stone first. This may affect what your options are. If you get your stone from VC, you can work with him to design your dream setting. Or if from WF or HPD, you would go with whatever vendors they offer, or go with other vendors like Caysie, DK, SK, whoever.

What's the status of the stone hunt? Have you decided on your criteria yet?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed.

To me it sounds like if you could go semi-custom with WF, that should be the "easiest" or safest route to take?

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
@CutMonkey , thanks for the sincere apology. I'll just pretend you never used those words and let's move on.

Just to confirm, are you sure your partner will be ok losing the round outline of her stone for the long haul as most of the settings you are considering have petal outlines? Will she get tired of that over time? Just checking...

I heartily agree with @lovedogs. Before spending too much time on redesigning a designer setting or even creating your own, it might be much easier to find the right stone first. This may affect what your options are. If you get your stone from VC, you can work with him to design your dream setting. Or if from WF or HPD, you would go with whatever vendors they offer, or go with other vendors like Caysie, DK, SK, whoever.

What's the status of the stone hunt? Have you decided on your criteria yet?

Thank you everyone. I have a stone in mind (2.2-2.5 ct ACA) that I'm discussing with Whiteflash, so once they are up and running again, I'll check in with them to see what sort of customization is possible with the A.Jaffe.

Thank you @LLJsmom! Grateful to have your input.

I'm actually very concerned about losing the outline of the stone long term. Initially, neither of us wanted a halo for that reason, so it has been a bit of a surprise that after looking at lots of design, these are the ones we seem to be coming back to.

With that in mind, I'm really looking for ideas from the great folk here on how to minimize the impact of the flower so the main stone remains the focus. A couple ideas I've had below that I'd love input on:

1) Lower the petals or raise the diamond in the A.Jaffe setting. Part of the reason I was drawn to this setting in the first place (vs other halos) is that the petals are already somewhat sunken, and from the top down, partially hidden.

2) A design similar to the A.Jaffe, but without the pave on the top arch of the petals. Generally speaking, fine with less pave overall. In place, I'd probably try to add some milgrain detailing.

3) Find, or have some one make, a wrap that, worn together with a simpler, non-halo solitaire gives a similar petal effect. That way, there is the option of not wearing the wrap if she tires of the petals.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

I recently came across this thread which has a ring David Klass did for @Mochi_x, which has a similar style petal halo, and also some milgrain detailing.

A417EDA8-EDD7-4B7E-8526-EA6E743B84D8.png

@Mochi_x - Did you ever have the ring remade to rotate the petals?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone. I have a stone in mind (2.2-2.5 ct ACA) that I'm discussing with Whiteflash, so once they are up and running again, I'll check in with them to see what sort of customization is possible with the A.Jaffe.

I'm actually very concerned about losing the outline of the stone long term. Initially, neither of us wanted a halo for that reason, so it has been a bit of a surprise that after looking at lots of design, these are the ones we seem to be coming back to.

With that in mind, I'm really looking for ideas from the great folk here on how to minimize the impact of the flower so the main stone remains the focus. A couple ideas I've had below that I'd love input on:

1) Lower the petals or raise the diamond in the A.Jaffe setting. Part of the reason I was drawn to this setting in the first place (vs other halos) is that the petals are already somewhat sunken, and from the top down, partially hidden.

2) A design similar to the A.Jaffe, but without the pave on the top arch of the petals. Generally speaking, fine with less pave overall. In place, I'd probably try to add some milgrain detailing.

3) Find, or have some one make, a wrap that, worn together with a simpler, non-halo solitaire gives a similar petal effect. That way, there is the option of not wearing the wrap if she tires of the petals.

I recently came across this thread which has a ring David Klass did for @Mochi_x, which has a similar style petal halo, and also some milgrain detailing.

My opinion only. Wraps are a super cool idea, and practical. However, the nature of a wrap means that the pieces together won't look as seamless as a single constructed piece. Inherently there need to be more metal, and more metal on metal rubbing and movement. If you guys are ok with that, then not an issue. I veered away from a wrap because I like the look of minimal, minimal metal, and I don't like shifting or moving parts.

Are there any "tester" rings out there that have these petal profiled settings? Did you check out Berricle and see if they have a fakey ring that she can order and just wear for a month or two to see if she gets bored of it? I tried that for a step cut, which I have loved for years. Before I committed to one, I bought 3 from Berricle, and wore them for 3-5 days, and I was already bored and missed the sparkle of a round. I just don't know if I would put any budget into getting a "wrap" when it can be put into a high quality, finely made setting or the stone.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked at Tacori? They have some pretty shaped tiny halo styles in the Petite Crescent and Coastal Crescent styles. They also do amazing prongs that might add the extra bit you're after.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! That looks similar to a CvB Dahlia. I actually like that design a lot, not sure what my partner might think. I feel like most of the Dahlia style rings I’ve seen usually have OECs. Does it work well with an RMB as well?
The David Klass example has a round brilliant! I think it works, IMO.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, hope this is the right place for this. My partner and I have been looking at settings, and I now have some ideas about what she likes (and what I like). Considering going with a custom design, and I'm looking to good folks at PS to help with inspiration and to get the details of the design right.

First, what we don't want. My partner does not want a "basic b*tch" solitaire. :) Her words, not mine, and no offense to those with beautiful, elegant Tiffany and similar solitaires (which, I personally, happen to love). We initially though we'd like vintage looking settings, but after trying a few on, it seems that we want something that has bits of vintage, but not overly so.

Some pertinent details:

Center stone: ~2.25 ct PS vendor RMB SIC - I'm still shopping for the perfect stone, but it will likely be a SIC in the 2.0-2.5 carat range
Size: 4.5 - My partner has long (2.75 in / 70 mm), skinny (size 4.5 US) fingers.
Metal: Platinum, maybe with rose gold accents or on the inside of the shank.

We'd like a design where the center stone is still the focus, and initially avoided halo's since we felt that the main stone often felt lost in the halo. After trying lots of things on, we've keep coming back to the designs below:

Up first, is the A.Jaffe Nature Inspired Tulip Design

I really love how the "petals" curve around the side, and how the tops of the petals still sit below the top of the ring, and still have "gaps" to that the halo they make still puts the emphasis on the center stone. We didn't love the shank on this, and would probably want a slightly wider shank (though maybe tapering at the top) with some milgrain or other more vintage elements. This design didn't have the signature A.Jaffe quilting on the inside of the shank, but we'd probably like it even more if it did. The ring in the hand photos is shown with a 2.5 ct cubic zirconia center stone.

PXL_20210128_000637332 (1).jpg

PXL_20210128_000328778.jpg

raised_a.jaffe_.jpg

Up next, is a Scott Kay, Heaven's Gate 31-SK5805ERW-E.

(I wasn't able to find much of anything about this online, so I'm guessing it's an older, discontinued design).

This stone has a much more ornate, vintage style backet/halo. My partner loved all of the milgrain, and we like the shank style of this better than the A.Jaffe. The ring shown in the hand photos is supposedly only a 1 ct center stone, but seems much bigger to me in this setting. My biggest reservation with this setting is that the center stone feels a little lost. I'm not sure if it would have the same issue scaled up to fit a 2+ ct stone though.

PXL_20210206_232547375.jpg

PXL_20210206_233928936.jpg

scott-kay-sk5805erw-e-heavens-gate.jpg

Up next is the Stuller Floral-Inspired ring

Featured here on PS before by
@icy_jade (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-05-cbi-from-hpd.242718/)
@kmoro (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-two-week-club.241629/page-19#post-4506532)

This seems very similar in concept to the A.Jaffe. We haven't been able to try this one on in person, so photos are pulled from previous posts here.

5CB2D25E-CB36-4D92-8C93-3047CFF60A50.png

841E7E4C-04CF-4A93-971F-044E71109B1E.png

60408F5D-322E-483F-8F4A-4AA638AD1089.png

upload_2018-8-7_17-40-0.png

Ok, hope that's a good start for inspiration. Any other similar designs or designers I should be looking at?

Any ideas on how to combine some of the more vintage style aspects (milgrain, etc) of the Scott Kay, with the cleaner halo's of the A.Jaffe and Stuller designs?

Any finally, suggestions for someone to work with? I've heard nothing but great things about David Klass here, but I've heard it helps to have a clear vision of what you want (and I'm not sure I do yet). :)

Thanks for everyone's help!!

I’m new to PS and I dislike MRB’s and solitaires. To each his own. No one should be offended. If we all have different tastes, we are not in competition!

Mochi_x

Rough_Rock

Hi @CutMonkey!

I did have the ring remade to rotate the petals. I'll attach the photo below.

Ultimately, I found that the design on the shoulder was a bit distracting (completely my fault since I designed it) so I swapped the diamond into another setting.

However, the work by David Klass was great and I would highly recommend him if you're interested in going the custom route.

DKPV2019--11-09--55055 Diamond Flower Ring---110919 55055 Diamond Flower Ring--3.JPG

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! That looks similar to a CvB Dahlia. I actually like that design a lot, not sure what my partner might think. I feel like most of the Dahlia style rings I’ve seen usually have OECs. Does it work well with an RMB as well?
Here is my CVB Dahlia with a 2.417 H VS2 ACA. It’s the first Dahlia she ever made. I think it looks beautiful! 37DF490B-25B3-4A6C-A3A9-67F66763BC77.jpeg B36156BA-ED5D-49B9-AE6A-10C570B0BF48.jpeg 27C7B4D1-2899-46B3-AB42-9733254D92FB.jpeg 8F2EB5F0-7DD4-4A3E-BADA-4EDE1E89E10C.jpeg

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Question - would this work? CVB is easy to work with and she can customize to your preference.

The Dahlia can have side diamonds as well.

There are also these:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't CVB do a clip-on halo that might be a better option than ring guards? I recall seeing it on her IG but haven't seen it featured recently.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Question - would this work? CVB is easy to work with and she can customize to your preference.

The Dahlia can have side diamonds as well.

There are also these:

Thanks @Yimmers! Definitely considering CVB Dahlia's now.

Those rings by Jonathon Weingarten are also beautiful! Lots of inspiration!

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Hi @CutMonkey!

I did have the ring remade to rotate the petals. I'll attach the photo below.

Ultimately, I found that the design on the shoulder was a bit distracting (completely my fault since I designed it) so I swapped the diamond into another setting.

However, the work by David Klass was great and I would highly recommend him if you're interested in going the custom route.

DKPV2019--11-09--55055 Diamond Flower Ring---110919 55055 Diamond Flower Ring--3.JPG

Thanks @Mochi_x. Would love to see the setting you ended up with!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I also have the Dahlia, with a 2 ct diamond. The setting has the appearance of a solitaire, but from the side view ( which is what one sees most while wearing the ring), it has that added interest.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey just here to chime in that I love all the floral settings and congrats to you!

And size 4.5! So lucky cos the diamond will look bigger on your partner. Keep us posted and pls share final pics k? =)2

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Here is my CVB Dahlia with a 2.417 H VS2 ACA. It’s the first Dahlia she ever made. I think it looks beautiful! 37DF490B-25B3-4A6C-A3A9-67F66763BC77.jpeg B36156BA-ED5D-49B9-AE6A-10C570B0BF48.jpeg 27C7B4D1-2899-46B3-AB42-9733254D92FB.jpeg 8F2EB5F0-7DD4-4A3E-BADA-4EDE1E89E10C.jpeg

@kayla17 - I noticed that you have a different ring in your profile pic now. It also looks like a Dahlia, but with pave on the shank? It reminds me of the pictures I've seen of Gussie's Dahlia. Can you tell me more about the ring in your profile pic? I think it's very close to what I would want if I get a Dahlia.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results