shape
carat
color
clarity

need comfort regarding new side stones for EC

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, haven't been here in a while, and I'm feeling sad and needing comfort regarding what will be my new ring.
10th anniversary coming up soon, and my husband wanted my to have to side stones I always wanted. My basic EC solitaire can be changed around with various stacks, and a couple of wraps I have, but I always wanted the side stones, but had to buy ring fast in 2006, because he was going to be gone for months for work and wanted me to have a ring.

I love my H diamond, though it shows up awful in profile pic, it's quite pretty. I searched through Stuller as I don't have the energy to go around trying on rings or designing one. I'm not well a lot.

So, we picked a 1/3 tcw baguettes semi set... Hoping to ice it up a bit. I'm of the idea that my wearing anything too big would be seen as a simulant, so I have always wanted my ring to be less than ostentatious.

I guess, looking so long ago air brushed illustrations ruined me for what the setting would look like. I dropped off my original ring today at my jeweler, who took it out of the Stuller package for me to try on. It was hot in there, I was in a hurry... It's not set with my diamond, hard to be excited. So I left my ring and came home. In sort of a daze. The sides seemed so tiny. It's not set yet, and not bench-polished, just off the shipping truck.

Have I got the dreaded shrinkage before my diamond has even been set? It's not a cheap ring, it's platinum, like my original, just not blingy as cuts like this aren't... But somehow I thought it would look more impressive.

The setting out of the Stuller packaging, looked tiny and dull.

Does anyone have side baguettes 1/3 tw flanking an EC? or any cut... Curious to see how it looks set and polished. Now I don't have my engagement ring of 10 1/2 years, and I feel like I left it to be set into a microscopic setting. Feel on the verge of tears, actually. I need to see real rings with this size baguettes. What size baguettes would have been a good size with a size .71 middle stone? Did I miss a setting at Stuller that would've been bigger, more noticeable? I'm bummed. So many questions.

20160928_181616.jpg

My current set up: never-removed heavy domed comfort fit 4mm platinum band, with my new rose gold band the same size and thickness...

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Wait and see what it looks like. I know that's easier to say than do. I'm sorry you're feeling down.

Look at the below thread. Scroll past all of the big rocks and down to an exquisite half carat emerald cut by Vampira, it's on page 1. She has bright red nails, you can't miss it. Small can be beautiful.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pricescope-hall-of-fame-iconic-pricescope-jewelry.212533/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pricescope-hall-of-fame-iconic-pricescope-jewelry.212533/[/URL]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've actually seen Vampira's lovely ring and fingernails! before, here or on another board. I'm very content with my .71 and thought a little ice on either side would help, but I have been staring at pics of stones much bigger, so of course, in my head it was going to look like this:
handshot13aa_0.jpg

My new semi set literally will cost more than my original ring. So I feel I've wasted$, should've gone for more sparkle or a slightly different setting, maybe with .33-.5 on each side instead of .33 tcw, whatever that works out to in two diamonds. I can't believe I feel this sad about what I thought for 10 yrs that I really wanted instead of a solitaire. At the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted sapphire or diamond sides, so decided to wait. I'm an old bride, married at 52. I won't have a whole lot of anniversary changes and super blingy really isn't me, but... Just slightly bigger sides... Maybe I didn't look hard enough...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I'm sorry you're feeling upset, hang in there and try not to panic and just wait until you see the finished piece. It sounds to me that the side stones will be in proportion to your center stone and will look pretty. You wouldn't want them to be too big or they'd overshadow your pretty EC. Try your best to relax and keep us posted!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to here you are feeling down and wondering about your ring. Your diamond looks very pretty.

Here is a thread of my .71 ct EC ring with .27 ctw baguettes. I have upgraded my EC several times since this one but I love that ring with the EC diamonds.

You won't know for sure until you have the finished ring on your finger. I hope you'll love it.

My ring https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-diamond-rhr-part-3.181460/

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
marcy|1475114021|4081848 said:
Here is a thread of my .71 ct EC ring with .27 ctw baguettes. I have upgraded my EC several times since this one but I love that ring with the EC diamonds. /quote]

That's wild that yours is the same carat weight, Marcy! Yours was beautiful. Honestly though, I'm wondering if my jeweler ordered the wrong one! I had bring it up to my eye to look for the baguettes, they are slivers!

This jeweler is a friend, has had a jewelry store for 40+ years, well regarded, she's made and ordered for me many times, I've been in the back room to watch the work... But this looked so so dinky. I honestly thought, next to a small EC, this 1/3 cts of baguettes would be just about right.
I think my current engagement ring band is 1.9mm wide? The new one looked tinier and skinnier, I swear. Thinking I should've just had my diamond set into a thicker band. The new setting looked awfully delicate.
Cannot stop crying, it's like I'm a starry-eyed bride child. I'm so ashamed of myself for feeling this way. Lately every order, service, or whatever turns out to be a problem that needs correcting. I'm not sure I'm up to figuring out how to fix this ring or deal with hurting jeweler's feelings and sending back. If that's even possible.

So depressed about something so first-world in its importance. Mad at myself about being disappointed.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel guilty for feeling upset about this N-jo - Believe me, you are in a safe place here, we are all bling lovers and we get it! You've put time, effort, and money into your reset so it's understandable that you are concerned. And if it turns out you aren't pleased with the ring, I would definitely talk to the jeweler about it. Don't worry about hurting her feelings, I'm sure she wants you to be happy and she's a friend and should be willing to work with you to get you a setting you'll love.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
So sorry you are feeling so down N-jo. You said everything's (service, order etc) wrong right now. Could just be your emotions are overwhelming you to the point you're not seeing the ring/stones straight. I agree with the others, wait till your ring is finished, and if it's not as nice as you thought it would be ask the jeweler to redo it. But I'm hoping you love the finished look.

(((((Big hugs)))))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 10 ct baguettes would have been fine and you did larger than that. I think it'll look lovely but I'm still sorry you're upset.

Try not to fret and just wait until it comes in. You may have a different option.

Hugs.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much. I just burst into tears and told my husband I'm going to have to go in and stop her from setting it and just get my ring back. He knew from my text about the setting "it's okay" that I'm not happy about it. Gosh it looked grey... is it just that it's unfinished, in a raw state?

My mind is going everywhere. I really wanted that look. I have never thought my stone looked little, or bad. It never looked grey like the baguettes.The new setting has VS 1 G diamonds... So dull.

I'll be up all night thinking about this. The ring didn't even feel substantial, for platinum. Maybe she accidentally ordered white gold. I'm allergic to alloys so the platinum uses up the budget quickly. And i set the budget, don't think I need us spending much on a ring... Wishing I'd looked more thoroughly. She doesn't work in platinum so I had to order.

I just can't get over how miniscule those baguettes looked. Ugh. Maybe it just needed shining up after setting. Sigh.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
N jo. Don't worry if you end up no liking this ring. I am sure your friend will work with you to get you something you love.

I hated this setting in the case. I wouldn't even try it on. I had my EC in a solitaire and wanted some diamond accents in a YG setting. I tried every setting in the store but that one. I thought it was to thin and not sparkly enough. After browsing the cases several times and rejecting dozens of ring I said what the heck lets try the baguette one and the EC just made the ring come to life. The EC just brought out the baguettes. So hopefully the same will be true for you.

I just measured my ring and the baguettes are about 1.8mm wide and the shank is about 1.5mm. It's not a flimsy thin band that it would break but it sure isn't thick either.

IMO picking out rings that you like on your hand is hard to do from pictures or even just seeing them. If this one doesn't make you smile there are many more out there.

Marcy

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_1116.jpg
This is my engagement ring before a re set (my ring couldn't be resized up enough for my now fat fingers).
Those two side stones are .32 carat and .35 carat (with a 4.25 carat centre) so don't go thinking 1/3 carat sides are too little. And wait for the ring, loose diamonds always look tiny and an unfinished ring, ugh dull.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
4.50 x 2.00 x 1.50 are what the baguettes are supposed to be on the one of these two I'd picked, because it was 1/3 tcw
as opposed to
3.75 x 2.25 x 1.75 in the 1/5 tcw

I thought more was more, you know?
Now I'm realizing the the baguettes on the 1/5 CT shorter, wider, and probably more pleasing to my eye instead of the splinters that are longer.

It was comparing these two that made me decide of course pick 1/3 on the right, it sits closer, it's more diamond... But now I see they'd have looked more substantial in much less carat weight?!

She's made things over for me in the past, but she's crazy busy about to move her business in the next two weeks, holidays are coming...and i don't even know if Stullers can be exchanged. I'm not well enough to leave the house much, especially in heat, so trying on is difficult. Who thought a third of a carat would be so bitty...

20160909_015445.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cannot quote or post from my phone, suddenly, had to get a laptop out to reply. Thanks for all your help and responses!

That's beautiful. However mine is 1/3 CT TOTAL for the sides, so whatever the cutter decided half of 1/3ct is, on each side -- .15, I guess. Weensy.

And the new setting already had the G color VS baguettes in it, just not my middle stone -- holding my original ER up to the new setting was so upsetting, I just gulped and left. It'd be nice if bench-magic made it what was in my head. I had looked and looked for actual photos before looking at all the enlarged, airbrushed illustrations, but never really found any except much larger.

I'm looking again online all night tonight. I'll have to double what we'd planned. I just didn't think I wanted or needed to spend so much...I guess I was hungrier for more of a powerful change. The new setting somehow seems smaller and lighter than my thin platinum plain 1.9mm setting from Blue Nile. I never knew baguettes could be THIS tiny!

Thanks for letting me wail. I'm just sick about this. Was so ready for my new ring. Always regretted not getting baguettes 10 yrs ago originally. This is what I get for getting married! I never wanted to, didn't do it until age 52, and now all this heartache over a ring!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
N-jo, if it's any consolation, just going by the pics I prefer the setting you chose. I hear you on trying to stick to a certain budget, as much as I love bling I'm a bit…um, frugal and I'm uncomfortable sometimes spending money on jewelry. At the end of the day it might be worth it to invest more in the ring if funds allow, since you will be wearing this ring every day. You never know, once your stone is in the setting you might like it, and I truly hope you do. If not I really think your jeweler will work with you to get a ring you love. Hang in there!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're so upset. Try not to worry, stones look smaller unset. See what you think once it's finished. I think it will look lovely.
Hugs

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The baguettes were set already. They looked grey and dull when I know they are G's from Stuller with S1 or VS

MY husband has watched me mope for two days and wants to forgo the deposit, get my original ring anorder something blingier or take it elsewhere. I'm afraid she won't be able to return to Stuller, I don't want to lose $500 deposit. I don't knows what to do. I thought she'd have it done by now and I could either accept or reject.

I don't know whether to call and stop the setting, if i can find another Stuller they'd trade the one I don't like for... It's making me physically ill.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry N-jo that you dont think you are going to be happy with the new setting. My old pear setting had baguettes. I believe
they were about the same size (.30ish). I was never fond of them because they just look like metal. Baguettes dont tend to put
out a lot of spark (well, mine didnt...I should speak for myself). On the other hand, baguettes go really nice with emeralds.

I think you should wait until you see the ring with your emerald in it. Try not to get too worked up about it until you see it.

Is it this setting?
http://www.stuller.com/products/120691/?groupId=4643&recommendationSource=productpage&recommendationType=recommendation&recommendationId=4080

So I looked up the 4.5x2.0x1.5 size baguettes at stullers like you said you are getting. See this page...look down at specifications.
It is showing up as 0.114 carats. So 2 would be about .23 (not .33 1/3 carat). Perhaps that is why they look so small? If this is
not what you asked for (or were told) then perhaps you should talk to your jeweler.

http://www.stuller.com/products/g-j-near-colorless-diamonds/200206/?groupId=93813&recommendationSource=DiaMSRef

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty, good find!

N-jo, tyty might be on to something - sounds like there's a chance you could have been given the wrong info - in which case you'd have a good argument that the ring is not what your ordered and expected.

I'm so sorry you are upset, I know it's a lousy feeling. It's a different situation, but I purchased a ring recently with no return policy (idiot) and I ended up being disappointed with it - and it was pretty pricey. I felt sick. So I get that nauseous and upset feeling. I'm still holding out hope that you'll like it better once you see the finished piece.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I knew in advance the baguettes were 1/3 carat TOTAL weight. I'd gone up from 1/5th, when looking, that seemed so tiny.

So I figured .15 at least per side. It's here and I hate it and my former friend the jeweler is on my black list.

It's tiny, dinky, the setting is thin, junky and slopped with rhodium. This is why I don't care for white gold. I do not want plating. My other platinum doesn't have it.

She forgot to keep my old setting and to credit us, so I'll be having this stone reset into that, I guess. I don't know what to do with this ugly Stuller setting. Dump all of it on another jeweler and add different or more side stones? It's not substantial at all. Mad at Stuller!

Plating!! No! I'm allergic!

And it was FILTHY when picked up. Smudged, water droplets. I'm so upset.
20160930_181534.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
20160930_175859.jpg

Three top images show the water drops and smudging.

Bottom ones are the day before...

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tyty:
That's not the setting. Mine is 69706 semi set with baguettes:

Comes Set With
QUANTITY STONE
2 04.50x02.25x01.50 MM Step, VS TAPERED BAGUETTE STEP GHI GENUINE DIAMOND
. I assume .15 at least for each. I knew they'd be small but couldn't find a setting with larger ones, wanted at least .25 on either side.

And it doesn't come with rhodium finish, which literally was slopped on it by jeweler. I think she's lost her marbles. Said they called yesterday, nope. Didn't deduct my old setting from price, and glad now, because it is heavy and substantial and not dipped in something shiny, so the comparison is a stark contrast.

I just thought I was upset before.

So. Any of the usual designers who would take all this and make it correctly? This ring must be 1mm at palm side. Feels like cheap junk.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look like cheap junk. Sorry you're unhappy

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you're so disappointed - I think it looks pretty in the pics but you're clearly not happy with it - one possibility is to try the sell the setting in the pre-loved section on PS and start over; at least you'd recoup some of the cost. Others can weigh in but I don't think a designer could change the setting that much, you'd probably be better starting off from scratch. Can you return the Stuller setting?

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1475282550|4082520 said:
I'm sorry you're so disappointed - I think it looks pretty in the pics but you're clearly not happy with it - one possibility is to try the sell the setting in the pre-loved section on PS and start over; at least you'd recoup some of the cost. Others can weigh in but I don't think a designer could change the setting that much, you'd probably be better starting off from scratch. Can you return the Stuller setting?

I'm not sure about Stuller returns by the jeweler. I either want it back into original knife edge until I do something else, or I want a jeweler who will take the two settings in trade and just put the diamond into something that's not so thin, definitely not dipped rhodium. It's very very light, unlike my other setting. It's pretty enough, but insubstantial. At first I thought Stuller was showing the platinum as rhodium plated, but I'd pulled up the white gold info by mistake. But my gosh this is so thin, wow.

I emailed her, haven't heard back. This cost waaaay too much for what it feels like. This setting cost more than my ring --
WITH diamond -- did when he bought it in 2006! I love the weight of platinum. This is very light.

This is what happens when in a small city and you can't go look a lot at settings anyway because of illness.

I'm really disturbed that it was boxed without being cleaned. Very strange.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant about a jeweler doing something with the rings -

If the Stuller can't be returned, yes, you can always just put the stone back in the old setting until you figure something else out. Sorry you've had such a bad experience!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've read through this thread 3 times and I'm still a bit confused. Is your new set platinum as you mentioned in your first post or is it white gold that was inadvertently ordered and rhodium plating added after? If the new setting is platinum I see no reason for the jeweller to plate it with rhodium and if so, what was her explanation to you for doing this?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you were hoping.
Besides the water spots (terrible but quickly alleviated), the ring looks pretty to me.

Questions:
-did you go from platinum in your old setting to white gold? Platinum is way heavier than white gold so that is the lightNess you're feeling.

-white gold is almost always rhodium plated (that would be consider
The norm) so unless you specify not to have it platted then they will do it. Sorry it looks like it was sloppily done :nono: .

- setting pages usually have measurements on them so on the Stuller page you should have seen the measurements. Your jeweler should have gone over it with you.

Please don't have anything else done without letting us help you. We can make sure you ask all the right questions so you get what you want.

I'm sorry this is costing you a fortune and you're not getting what you wanted. I hope in the future we can help you get a reset that you'll love.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you chose the setting from the Stuller catalog, which it seems you did, this isn't your jeweler's fault (except for the rhodium plating, which she may have done because you complained about it looking gray). Yes, your old setting was more substantial. Stuller does not take returns or exchanges on custom (or used) pieces. Your bet best would be to have your diamond reset into your old ring, have a gemstone set into the new one and try to sell it, maybe on consignment with the jeweler. A little dirt on the diamond is not a big deal. Surely, you fixed that with a toothbrush and some dishwashing liquid when you got home? And to regret getting married over a ring setting? Really?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also confused about whether the new ring is platinum or not, but platinum is sometimes rhodium plated. Not a thing wrong with that, especially if you were worried about it being gray. Those rings come to the jeweler unfinished. The jeweler sets the stones and polishes the ring. So there was nothing wrong with the setting looking gray in its unfinished state.

I have to say this to be honest, those baguettes are the perfect size for your center stone. Had you gone larger, it would have been out of proportion and not looked right. I also think wearing two wide bands with a thin solitaire setting is throwing the proportions off and making the e-ring kind of overwhelmed. I'd wear only one of the wide bands with it at a time. Or maybe just a thin 2mm diamond band between the wedding band and e-ring.

If you want more substance, I think a three stone ring with three emerald cuts would be the best choice. I do not think larger baguettes will look right. I think wearing it with a wider wedding band, the shank needs to be at least 2.5mm, too.

emerald-cut-three-stone-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results