shape
carat
color
clarity

Need assistance with a Tsavorite e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
For further reference, the Tsavorite in my avatar is a straight medium-dark, as is the one here: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=469 See how difficult it is to judge from a picture? Both were shot by different people.

FYI, Jeff White of www.whitesgems.com has a lovely round. I don''t remember its tone. Medium-dark may be the industry ideal, but it boils down to what your girlfriend prefers.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A few tips; if you''re unsure about the shape, think about her hands and fingers. An elongated shape (like an oval) will slim down a hand and make it appear longer, while a round or a cushion will make it seem more full and wider. But the lenght of fingers can also play a role; for example, if she doesen''t have much "finger real estate" it might be better to go with a shorter stone, so that it doesen''t overwhelm the hand.

You can also sneak through her jewellery box a bit, just to see what kinds of rings she prefers in terms of style. Maybe she likes pave looks with lots of small stones grouped together, maybe she''s more into rings with side stones or three stones, or a solitaire (one stone) kind of girl.

Also make sure you know which shade of green she''d like, so that you don''t end up with a deep green tsavorite only to discover she''d really love a pastel green sapphire. There are also differences in secondary hues, which can be yellow and blue (or brown, or grey, but those are the unwanted ones). Compare a usual peridot (more yellow green) to a usual emerald (more blue green) to make sure you know what she''d love.

Hope this helps.

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono! I might jump on this one. I''m stuck at work right now, so I don''t have too much time to think it over.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like rounds, have you seen the 1.8 ct round medium dark tsavorite at www.whitesgems.com?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.81 ct round tsavorite measuring 7.1 mm.

JWGAR131f.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s such a luscious green.

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Thanks again to everyone for all the great advice so far! I just ordered the oval that Chrono had suggested the other day....

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=233

After going back and forth many times, I decided that medium green is the way to go and John at Gemrite insisted that I would be hard pressed to find a stone with better color. He sent me a few extra pictures and, to my untrained eye, it looks great. I will do my best to post pictures of my own once it arrives, but right now I really just want to say thanks again for all the help, without which I would be totally lost
emteeth.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 3:04:59 PM
Author: Kadath
Thanks again to everyone for all the great advice so far! I just ordered the oval that Chrono had suggested the other day....

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=233

After going back and forth many times, I decided that medium green is the way to go and John at Gemrite insisted that I would be hard pressed to find a stone with better color. He sent me a few extra pictures and, to my untrained eye, it looks great. I will do my best to post pictures of my own once it arrives, but right now I really just want to say thanks again for all the help, without which I would be totally lost
emteeth.gif
Wow, the vendor pics of that Tsav are just lovely! Can''t wait to see your pics of it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kadath,
Do you mind sharing the extra pictures? I''d also like your opinion on the tsavorite and your picture once you receive it.

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Here are the two extra photos that John sent me...

largetsavoval.jpg

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the size of the last pic. I forgot to edit it first....

tsavorite-oval1-34cts.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks gorgeous! Any idea on an ETA?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The vendor's photos look promising, hope you'll receive a gorgeous stone.
11.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be really curious to see more photos/ hear your opinion when it arrives! The new photo seems to show more blue secondary, while the first seems more yellow?? hmm!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that looks beautiful. I hope you love it when it arrives!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 8:18:51 AM
Author: icekid
I''ll be really curious to see more photos/ hear your opinion when it arrives! The new photo seems to show more blue secondary, while the first seems more yellow?? hmm!
I''m in agreement with Ice. I also see some yellow in the first picture but blue in the second. Very interesting.
33.gif
I''m really curious now to see your pictures and get your input on what you see.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:11:41 PM
Author: Chrono

I''m in agreement with Ice. I also see some yellow in the first picture but blue in the second. Very interesting.
33.gif
I''m really curious now to see your pictures and get your input on what you see.
Silly girls. What colours make up green?
25.gif
The camera sometimes separate them.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:38:56 PM
Author: Harriet

33.gif
25.gif
1.gif

Storm had a great response in my Tourmaline thread as to why this is - green is the hardest colour to capture accurately.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:38:56 PM
Author: Harriet

33.gif
25.gif

haha, really?? You know a lot about cameras for someone who claims to be unable to take good photos
2.gif
(though clearly your spess photos disprove this!)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a beautiful stone. I hope it works out.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Hughes has said in his article on Palagems website that tsavorite tends to appear more yellow under incandescents.

http://www.palagems.com/tsavorite_bancroft.htm

That might explain some color differences in the photos above.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unfortunate the shape doesn''t lend itself to a ring, but the colour is fabulous.

gemtradertsavo.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 4:06:04 PM
It is unfortunate the shape doesn''t lend itself to a ring, but the colour is fabulous.

I agree- it would be a really nice pendant. Or if you could somehow find someone to cut one to match, a great side stone for a huge diamond
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 5:11:05 PM
haha, really?? You know a lot about cameras for someone who claims to be unable to take good photos
2.gif
(though clearly your spess photos disprove this!)
9.gif
I''ll take a shot at my new tsavorite tomorrow.

Adah

Shiny_Rock
Just wanting to say good luck with your search - the posters here are very knowledgable and will be a gret resource for you!

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Sorry for the delay in updating. I actually just received the stone this morning, as I had it shipped to a friend to avoid my gf seeing the box when it arrived. So far, I''ve only seen it in flourescent light, but the stone is a perfect green. It is very bright and doesn''t really lean heavily to yellow or blue as far as I can tell. I don''t think that either picture I posted previously does it justice. I''ll do my best to post some of my own photos this week to give a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results