shape
carat
color
clarity

Need assistance with a Tsavorite e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post and I''''m in desparate need of some advice, since I have no idea what I''''m doing and none of my friends are any help
emteeth.gif
I want to buy my girlfriend an emerald engagement ring and I found something that I like the look of, but I don''''t trust the site at all. Here is the link:

http://www.anzorjewelrycorp.com/Scripts/prodview.asp?SKU=R819

Now, I don''''t know very much, but that price seems too good to be true for the size stones that are in the ring. On top of that, they''''re providing only a UGL cert which, thanks to many posts I''''ve read here today, I would guess is worthless.

Having said all that, I still really like the setting and would love to end up with a ring that looks like this one. The same site sells just the setting from their eBay store for around $225. I was thinking of purchasing just that and then hunting down some loose stones afterward that I can trust are good quality for my budget. The doubts I have about the stones make me a little concerned about the quality of the setting though and, truthfully, I probably wouldn''''t know good from bad once I receive it.

Has anyone dealt with Anzor Jewelry before? Would anyone trust buying from them based on what you see? I suppose I could just buy the ring and have it independently appraised, but this seemed like the right place to come for some advice that might save me the trouble. Thanks!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There just isn''t enough information, period.

Emerald:
No disclosure of treatment
No information on carat weight and measurement

Diamonds:
No mention of clarity and colour
No information on carat weight

Even though I have no experience with them, I would not purchase this ring them because the quality on the emerald looks lacking. Since this involves a coloured gemstone, you will get more responses if you ask the moderators to move it there. Just contact them via the "report concern" button at the end of the post.

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Yeah, the lack of info is definitely what turned me off. I thought that I should post in here since I was leaning toward just purchasing the setting at this point. If no one else responds tonight I''ll probably have it moved tomorrow. Thanks :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Additionally, I''d be cautious in purchasing an emerald for an engagement ring: emeralds are very soft stones, comparatively speaking, and risky choices for rings in general, especially for e-rings, which tend to be worn day-in, day-out. Many of our posters have gone for tsavorite garnets for similar coloration and additional sturdiness ... it''s something you might want to consider addressing over in Colored Stones, like Chrono said.
21.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Dover had some pretty emerald rings on their site. Although I''ve never bought from them either.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
For any coloured stone e-ring I would recommend buying the ''actual'' stone whether that is in a finished piece that you find online or in a B&M, or a specially sourced stone that you then find a setting for.

The quality of the emerald shown is pretty dire in my opinion - and that is just their stock shot, so if that is the best of the bunch I don''t want to see the others!

I would also agree that an emerald is a problematic stone for an e-ring - if it''s what someone REALLY wants and they understand the babying it will need and potential problems and are prepared to take the risks and precautions necessary then fair enough, but if it''s just a green stone that is wanted, it wouldn''t be my first recommendation.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Check out Fay Cullen''s website. She has the loveliest settings. Without knowing your GF, I would want a ring I could wear everyday...esp. in the beginning. I love your taste in rings, though. Keep us posted!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 6:43:04 PM
Author: bookworm240
Check out Fay Cullen's website. She has the loveliest settings. Without knowing your GF, I would want a ring I could wear everyday...esp. in the beginning. I love your taste in rings, though. Keep us posted!!
But do a search for 'Fay Cullen' on PS before you buy - there are many tales of woe...
38.gif

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Definitely do a search on Fay Cullen. I usually don't air my dirty laundry on forums, but I had a bad experience with them with a ring I bought... The diamond was actually chipped. I had specifically asked if there was damage on the stone and was told no. When I emailed them to tell them about the chip, they totally ignored me, and when I got someone on the phone, they said it was a final sale because I had purchased it on layaway.
29.gif

Anyway, I ended up holding onto the ring a little while, and finally selling it at a major loss... You live and learn!

Back to the question at hand though... I love emeralds, but would hesitate to use one in a ring that will get daily wear. A tsavorite or tourmaline may be a good choice for you. Plus, buying emeralds can be very difficult and time consuming because there are so many treatments and lab-created emeralds out there.

Congrats on coming to the decision to purchase an engagement ring for your girlfriend! I hope that you can have some fun with the process and I can tell you that the posters here know all about gemstones, settings, you name it, and they can help people find super nice things within their budgets. I am addicted to this place!

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for the replies!

Having spent a ton of time reading this forum after I posted yesterday, I think I'm definitely leaning away from emerald and more to tsavorite. Garnet is my birthstone, but the emerald-ish green relates back to hers, so I think that's a pretty cool coincidence.

Pandora: I love your ring. That and Pokey's are really what made me change my mind to tsavorite. I agree that buying the stone individually is the way to go. Unfortunately, now I'm stuck on finding a setting that I like. The one in my original post is great, but spending half a day looking at loose stones now has me wondering if I really want a round cut or something more like a pear or oval =)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 2:00:13 PM
Author: Kadath

Having spent a ton of time reading this forum after I posted yesterday, I think I''m definitely leaning away from emerald and more to tsavorite. Garnet is my birthstone, but the emerald-ish green relates back to hers, so I think that''s a pretty cool coincidence.

Pandora: I love your ring. That and Pokey''s are really what made me change my mind to tsavorite. I agree that buying the stone individually is the way to go. Unfortunately, now I''m stuck on finding a setting that I like. The one in my original post is great, but spending half a day looking at loose stones now has me wondering if I really want a round cut or something more like a pear or oval =)
Thanks
1.gif

Rounds are pretty hard to get in coloured stones - cushions and ovals are more common. For an e-ring I would avoid a pear as you have the added risk of the pointy bit.

Although tsavorites are harder than emeralds, they definitely need to be babied - they''re not a 24/7 ring. I only wear my e-ring when I''m out and take it off as soon as I get home.

With a coloured stone, you need to find the stone first and then the setting as the stones won''t necessarily be in a calibrated size and you will need to get the setting that will fit the stone not vice-versa...

stacy

Shiny_Rock
OOH... I LOVE a nice cushion or oval tsavorite... But, to me, the color and overall cut is more important than the shape when looking for colored stones. And I agree with PandoraII about finding the stone, then getting the setting.

Does your girlfriend know you''re looking for a ring? How exciting!

Kadath

Rough_Rock
OK, so oval is probably the way to go. In comparison, it seems like there are hardly any rounds out there anyway, so that makes my job a little easier.

Stacy: Nope, she doesn''t know =) I brought it up in passing a few months ago just by talking about someone else''s ring, but the only thing I really got out of that was that she doesn''t want anything very expensive and that neither of us are huge diamond fans, which is what got me started on the colored stone route.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 7:21:45 PM
OK, so oval is probably the way to go. In comparison, it seems like there are hardly any rounds out there anyway, so that makes my job a little easier.

Stacy: Nope, she doesn''t know =) I brought it up in passing a few months ago just by talking about someone else''s ring, but the only thing I really got out of that was that she doesn''t want anything very expensive and that neither of us are huge diamond fans, which is what got me started on the colored stone route.
Oval or cushion will give you a lot more choice.

Just to warn you, whilst there are stones for all budgets a coloured stone can be as much if not more than a diamond....

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Pandora knows a million times more than me on this subject, but what about this oval tsavorite garnet from Barry Bridgestock? It''s the lovely rich green color in an oval shape.
1.gif

Kadath

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 7:49:38 PM
Author: Pandora II

Just to warn you, whilst there are stones for all budgets a coloured stone can be as much if not more than a diamond....

Yeah, I noticed that the prices aren't very different for the higher quality stones. On the bright side, my gf is tiny, so a smaller stone will still look huge on her hand
emsmile.gif

Date: 5/15/2009 8:38:50 PM
Author: rubybeth

Pandora knows a million times more than me on this subject, but what about this oval tsavorite garnet from Barry Bridgestock? It's the lovely rich green color in an oval shape.
1.gif
I do love the color of that stone. I'm wondering for the ovals with dimensions like this one (5.3 x 6.3mm) if you could get them set in something intended for a round stone or if it would have to be totally custom. Anyone have any experience with that?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That size stone will not fit in a round. It must go into an oval setting. I don't think you need to go custom with it though. As for the stone, medium dark would be the darkest tone I'd like in a tsavorite. This one is a wee bit on the darker side (but not dark) because it is described as med dark to dark. However, it looks to be cut with a lot of brilliance showing.

As an example, I prefer this shade of green: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=56&idproduct=411

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
First stone is going to be too dark IMHO and I''m a medium dark fan.

Second stone is more what I''d advise looking for.

Ditto to Chrono on everything - and check out the Stuller catalogue for setting ideas...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the color of the one Chrono posted, but Barry''s pictures tend to be very real to life, and sometimes don''t do justice to the stone, so I wouldn''t be so quick to discount the first one. He usually picked the most subdued photo of the stone, so when you open that package it''s a wowza moment. If you like the look of that stone, I''d email, ask him about it, and ask for more pictures.

Also, if you''re thinking an oval, in my humble opinion it doesn''t get much better than Barry''s supernova for light return. I have a couple white topaz supernovas from Barry, and they are like little lighbulbs. No extinction whatsoever.

Go take a gander at the thread that''s stickied at the top of this subforum--the ones with vendor photos compared to PSers photos. Or here is my most recent thread with a medium dark blue spinel--he sent me two pictures, and neither of them were used on his site. It''s interesting to see the difference between the pics he chose to send me, the one that went on the site and the pictures that I took. Link to Big blue

DoctorBear

Rough_Rock
Just to add my voice to the debate. I had an emerald ering as they are one of my favourite stones. Mine had four square cut emeralds sourounnded by diamonds and cost a pretty penny 23 years ago. Unfortunately, less than a year later I had to have one of the emeralds replaced as it became cracked. I was never satisfied with the replacement however, and when still more damage occurred, my beloved ring was consigned to the jewellery box for safekeeping, and my darling husband bought me an all diamond ring as a replacment (''see if you can damage that'' in his own words!) I would recommend going for something a bit more durable as it will have to last a lifetime - this is the voice of experience! Luckily my marriage has lasted, unlike the ring....
Good luck with your decision!

planet_jp

Rough_Rock
Hi, there. FYI - there''s a very pretty 6.0 mm round tsavorite on finewatergems.com under new gemstones. Good luck with your search.

Janet

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

Emerald is problematic as an everyday stone. At 7.5 it is hard enough but remember hardness is a measure of scratch resistance. Emerald is a bit brittle and that leads me to the essential problem.

99% of emerald have surface breaking fissures. Emerald's are normally enhanced with oils or polymers which hide these fissures. Thus, the first question to ask is "what is the level of enhancement?" Two emeralds may look identical, but be very different without the oil fillers. A highly enhanced stone will be much more prone to chipping. For an expensive stone, you should insist upon a certificate from an independent lab.

Most labs work with a four level system of enhancement. The four levels are NONE, MINOR (Some labs use insignificant between NONE & MINOR) MODERATE and SIGNIFICANT. Though most labs have adopted this nomenclature there is an element of subjectivity and one labs minor may be another's moderate.

Gems rated INSIGNIFICANT to MINOR are extraordinarily rare. MODERATE is more available, but it also matters where the fissures are located. I never purchase a stone with fissures at the corners or on the table of the stone. Fissures on the pavilion though the stone is rated MODERATE are much less important that fissures on the crown in a stone labeled MINOR.

Some advise: If you don't know the product, know the vendor. http://www.agta-gtc.org/report_emerald.htm

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Just going to add that I have never been disappointed with any stones from Barry (ACS Stones). Over the past few months, I have bought a few stones from other vendors that were recommended. I did not post them as I was unhappy and returned them. I think you would be very happy with a stone from Barry.

Good luck with your search. I think a Tsavorite is a great idea. We can also provide recommendations for your setting when you are ready!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 12:52:36 PM
Any opinions on these two? Any experience dealing with either vendor? I saw they were both in the list of recommended sites here.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-932890466

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=2599

And is it just me, or do those two sites take FOREVER to load?

Of the two, I like the second one. The first one looks like it has a window. The second one has a lot of brilliance and seems to have a lot of potential. However, it is hard to capture the true color of gems from photos. If you find something you love, I would make sure there is a return policy. It is best to judge gems with your eyes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Multicolour tsavorite looks to have better colour but the cut is a little lacking and the elongated shape means a custom setting.
The PI tsavorite is quite brilliant but doesn''t have as good a colour. It has the advantage of a calibrated measurement.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 4:13:44 PM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 5/15/2009 2:00:13 PM

Having spent a ton of time reading this forum after I posted yesterday, I think I''m definitely leaning away from emerald and more to tsavorite. Garnet is my birthstone, but the emerald-ish green relates back to hers, so I think that''s a pretty cool coincidence.

Pandora: I love your ring. That and Pokey''s are really what made me change my mind to tsavorite. I agree that buying the stone individually is the way to go. Unfortunately, now I''m stuck on finding a setting that I like. The one in my original post is great, but spending half a day looking at loose stones now has me wondering if I really want a round cut or something more like a pear or oval =)
Thanks
1.gif

Rounds are pretty hard to get in coloured stones - cushions and ovals are more common. For an e-ring I would avoid a pear as you have the added risk of the pointy bit.

Although tsavorites are harder than emeralds, they definitely need to be babied - they''re not a 24/7 ring. I only wear my e-ring when I''m out and take it off as soon as I get home.

With a coloured stone, you need to find the stone first and then the setting as the stones won''t necessarily be in a calibrated size and you will need to get the setting that will fit the stone not vice-versa...
They can be found, but in smaller sizes. And, they carry a premium.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results