shape
carat
color
clarity

Need another opinion about my side stones!

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Last week, I made a post about my non certified side stones. You can read the full story on the link below.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-honest-opinions-and-advice-am-i-crazy.160511/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-honest-opinions-and-advice-am-i-crazy.160511/[/URL]

To summarize, the jeweler originally told me that they would match my center which is G VS1 with G VS2 sides. I had an appraiser evaluate it last week and he felt that I had 1- F SI2 and 1- H SI2. I contacted the jeweler and he swore he didn't use diamonds with 3 color grades difference and better than SI2's. I have noticed one displays a slight nuance in some lighting, slightly darker in other lighting, or all three look completely white. I think he may have used G and H or perhaps 2- G's but one just runs at the lower gamut. (Yes, to my misfortune, I am color sensitive.) While I can't see inclusions with my naked eye, each have a rather larger feather. On one, it appears to run from the tip of the girdle to the bottom part of the table and almost to the surface.

So, after discussing it with my sweetie, I called up the jeweler to see if they had anything else. He suggested looking for certified stones as replacements. He said this way there is no doubt of the quality and the appraiser cannot dispute GIA certified stones. I agreed so they looked at their inventory and sources. I also looked at PS and found there is a limited amount of available ovals in the size needed. So, after searching for a couple of days, they felt the best match for my center would be .29 D SI1 and .29 E SI1. Their proportions are almost identical and the length to width ratio is close to the center. They are both 1.40 and my center is 1.42. They would seem like a really good match with the exception of the variation in color.When I expressed my concern, the jeweler ensured me that my center was white so the there would not be a noticeable difference. (Note: I did have a couple of jewelers tell me they thought my center was better than G and the appraiser said it was a "high" G. So, I take it my center looks more like a F. )

Do you think they are right? Will the difference be noticeable?

And before you ask, we did look at the available F-G's and I was even considering paying the premium for some VVS1 because there were more available in the higher clarity. However, we could never find good mates.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I posted on the other thread that I wouldn't be comfortable going more than one color grade higher or lower than the center stone, so I would be afraid that these would not work. But can the jeweler call them in and let you look at them next to your stone in different lighting just to see? I don't think I would do it, though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would much rather have the F/H, or even a pair of Hs or Is, than two Ds.

Smaller stones already look so much brighter and whiter than larger stones because of the optics (thread here), why exaggerate the difference that's already there with super white sidestones?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree - using whiter side stones (especially more than one color grade) would make me really nervous. I have seen rings with more tinted center stones, and I would personally try to avoid that look.

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ladies for your replies.

I know the rule of thumb is to stay within 1 color grade up or down. In the early phase of picking my center, the jeweler told me the same. The jeweler knows I'm picky so I would hope they wouldn't recommend these knowing it would make an obvious contrast.

DS, I cannot view the stones in person as the jeweler is in another state.

Yssie, what I see isn't distinction but a warm hue in one of the stones. I thought I wouldn't be able to see the difference between my stones but I can. 2 stones look the same (very white) while the other has this tint. It isn't huge and the only time anyone can tell is when staring at it for a while. (I had one of my friends and my FH see if they could detect a difference and both did.) Being able to see the tint bugs me. Then, the very large feathers or fissure in the side stones bother me...I guess I'm being on bit of a snob.

After all my harassment through the build, I would think they wouldn't offer the D and E stones knowing it will make my center look bad. :confused:

Perhaps, I should speak directly with their gemologist to verify. He was the one that told me he felt like if I had my center re-graded, it would come back with a better color grade. He said they had a hard time finding matching side stones because my center was so white.

*sigh* I am beginning to regret my choice on a 3 stone oval.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way jose to the D/E color sides. Too noticable a difference, it will make your center look tinted! ETA: If they insist that they will match, have them sent to you to inspect in person, then send all stones and your ring back to the jewler for resetting if you are ok with the new sides.

You only have issue with one side stone. Why not just replace it and keep the other? No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And no need to look for certed stones. Just ask for a suitable match uncerted stone to be found. maybe 2 of them. If you are in another state, have the two stones sent to you and pick the one that matches the best perhaps? Then send your ring and the sides back to the jewler for resetting.

Alternatively, find a matched pair with a local jewler and just return the sides you have, is that an option?

No need to despair. Just persist. Many of us picky types take a while to get it just right. If you doubt it, just look through Yssie's, DiamondSeekers, and my own many diamond and setting changes ::) Perfection takes a while to achieve, in life and in jewelry. Try to enjoy the process and the search, think of it as a journey ;))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your oval threestone is *beautiful* and unique even if it's not quite perfect, no need for regrets! :love:

As Dreamer eloquently put it many of us know exactly how you're feeling - the niggling itches that you just can't quite scratch. If you can wait a little, try and have your jeweller find you better matches - matching your existing F, or finding a new higher-clarity pair - even if they're not available right away I am very sure that given time they will be unearthed! And in the meantime do enjoy your ring - it's too pretty not to :sun:

I would not advise settling for a pair that you have doubts about to get it done quicker, as doubts lead to scrutiny and scrutiny can only highlight any worries - and likely in a few months you'll be unhappy you settled, and facing the same dilemma.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your beautiful ring! My e-ring is a GIA certified E and is super white. I own two G's in other jewelry pieces which look beautifuly white on their own but I can see the difference when held next to my e-ring. You would end up in the same predicament. I would hold out for a closer match....

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Hi again ladies,

Thanks for all your opinions. Thank you vanderaf and yssie for the compliment.
I am afraid with my expectation of being "perfect", settling for the D/E will just cause another disappointment.
Yssie and Dreamer, you are right. I shouldn't rush it. I should see if they will continue to search until another pair becomes available.

I've been obsessing about this ring. It's driving me mad....my friends think I'm nuts. It's nice to be around others (albeit virtual) that have gone through this process and for some multiple times.

Thanks again everyone!!!

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
I just heard from their gemologist and his words, "The center diamond is most certainly better than a G color. I can almost guarantee you the center would be an F color if sent back for regrading." So, he said the D/E sides would not contrast with it at all.

Not sure if this is an important fact or not, but my center is 10 yrs old. Is it possible for my stone to be a different grade? The appraiser also commented that he felt it was a high G. I met a gemologist that works for Tiffany that thought my center was an F.

So, say they are right and my stone is really a F, should you perceive the color difference? Should I trust him? The only reasons I'm leaning toward this decision is for one, he is a gemologist. He knows far more about diamonds than I. Two, the jeweler's reputation. I wouldn't think they'd offer improper suggestions knowing they will have a very unhappy customer. (If they haven't had enough of the complaining already, wait and see what happens if this ring doesn't look right!) :angryfire:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
have them send the DE pair out for you to see and compare with your center, it is the only way. You will likely have to pay for them, but as long as there is an iron clad refund policy in place (in writing), then you can send them back for a refund or exchange them if you approve.

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
You guys are really going to think I'm nuts. SO, on top of the side stone issue,there small things about my setting that I don't like. The jeweler used one of the casting houses to create the setting. He's going cast a new one (in house) for me once I decide what I'm going to do about the side stones. I really feel like I'm driving myself crazy! Is anything really perfect? I feel like I'm striving for the unreachable...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what don't you like about the setting?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
geisha_gyrl|1305734937|2924835 said:
You guys are really going to think I'm nuts. SO, on top of the side stone issue,there small things about my setting that I don't like. The jeweler used one of the casting houses to create the setting. He's going cast a new one (in house) for me once I decide what I'm going to do about the side stones. I really feel like I'm driving myself crazy! Is anything really perfect? I feel like I'm striving for the unreachable...

Okay.. here we really need more info to give you an idea. Prongs clearly unevenly shaped, one sidestone crossbar double the thickness of the other, one stone clearly set at a clearly odd angle, pitting/bubbling in the metal? Definitely not unreasonable, and definitely worth getting fixed. Imperfect polish on the underside of the gallery, prongs imperfectly shaped under the loupe or from 3" from your eyes? Unreasonable unless you made your expectations about loupe-clean clear (and paid for the extra time and expense of loupe-clean).

Also keep in mind that some unevenness in prong spacing or stone height for example may actually be the work of a very clever and diligent jeweller trying to make things as visually symmetric as possible when worn, if your sidestones are not perfectly matched in shape and size (and given that they're ovals this is a distinct possibility).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1305755176|2925142 said:
geisha_gyrl|1305734937|2924835 said:

Okay.. here we really need more info to give you an idea. Prongs clearly unevenly shaped, one sidestone crossbar double the thickness of the other, one stone clearly set at a clearly odd angle, pitting/bubbling in the metal? Definitely not unreasonable, and definitely worth getting fixed. Imperfect polish on the underside of the gallery, prongs imperfectly shaped under the loupe or from 3" from your eyes? Unreasonable unless you made your expectations about loupe-clean clear (and paid for the extra time and expense of loupe-clean).

Also keep in mind that some unevenness in prong spacing or stone height for example may actually be the work of a very clever and diligent jeweller trying to make things as visually symmetric as possible when worn, if your sidestones are not perfectly matched in shape and size (and given that they're ovals this is a distinct possibility).

Yes.

And it sounds like you are having a hard time with this vendor. Why not get things done locally if you want a more hands on experience? For some people, remote buying does not work.

Post pics of the flaws you see in the setting please!

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
It was hard to capture the defects but I do have a couple of pictures on my computer at work. I'll post them in the morning.

I didn't care for the thickness of the horizontal bars on the trellis. The defects are:

1. The horizontal bars on the side stones aren't even. On one side, the bars are angled and more so on the other side. The entire upper half of the stone is exposed.

2. I think the casting house created the setting for smaller side stones which caused the jeweler to damage one of the horizontal bars. There is a small dip in the center of one.

3. On one of the sides, the trellis appears to end just past the bars instead of finishing into a prong. I think the jeweler tried to fix it by adding additional metal next to wear it should have been a prong.

Not too noticeable to others viewing my ring but very noticeable to me.

So, the jeweler said I can make changes to the original setting since they are creating a new one.

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
EW, excuse the last post. I started to doze...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results