shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on custom making large emerald cut eternity band

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum, even though I've been lurking on here on and off for years. I've drooled over your gorgeous pieces, and tried to learn a bit along the way. I'm finally ready to make my biggest purchase yet in the jewelry realm, and I'm so excited, but also extremely nervous. I've had my heart set on a honker of an emerald cut eternity band. I think I may have fallen for Rubies-R-Me's beauty of a band from years ago. Problem is my ring size is on the larger side, and I'm scared of making the ring too small or too big for longevity. My ring size now is around a 7, but I've gone up a size or so with pregnancies. Any sort of weight fluctuation affects my finger size tremendously. Plus we live in Florida, so humidity and heat makes my fingers bloat that much more. Also, my mother and grandmother have larger hands/fingers, and I can see what the future holds for my hands. I think I'm leaning towards making it a size 8 and adding sizing balls inside, but I heard there's a way to make it have a higher setting for sizing up even more in the future. Or is that a bad idea since it would probably make wearing it uncomfortable at this stage? I also prefer the looser eternity band look. I feel somewhat suffocated having tight rings on, especially wide rings, but I also don't want them to be flying off my fingers either. I also thought of using a very thin plain band to wear on top to keep it in place if it does turn out too big, especially in the winter months. Also, I don't plan on ever wearing this with a solitaire/engagement ring. This would be a stand alone ring.

As for the specs of the band, I'm looking for 75-80 pointer, elongated emerald cut (1.57 ratio or so) (not 100% sure of the elongated part yet. Depends on what we find), H/I VS1 quality stones, set in platinum. Each stone would be GIA certified (even though I personally don't care, but my jeweler seems to). It should be about a 12 ctw at the end of it all. Is there any advice you'd give for the setting, or how it would be to actually wear it on a daily basis, or anything else I may not have thought of? Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If your finger size isn't consistent, I don't think eternity bands are a great choice unless you are prepared to reset them, which is costly and risks damaging stones with each reset. I live in Florida too and at certain points in the day, you just don't put jewelery on if it wasn't already with humidity. Why not do a 3/4 style or leave a very small section in the back for sizing?

Have you worn an eternity in the style and size you want before? I don't find them comfortable. I would get a cz or moissanite version in sterling before spending the money on a full eternity if you have the concerns you noted.

Those are big stones and you may find that the size and width is just not comfortable.

Sometimes we like things, but they aren't practical for daily life!

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
If your finger size isn't consistent, I don't think eternity bands are a great choice unless you are prepared to reset them, which is costly and risks damaging stones with each reset. I live in Florida too and at certain points in the day, you just don't put jewelery on if it wasn't already with humidity. Why not do a 3/4 style or leave a very small section in the back for sizing?

Have you worn an eternity in the style and size you want before? I don't find them comfortable. I would get a cz or moissanite version in sterling before spending the money on a full eternity if you have the concerns you noted.

Those are big stones and you may find that the size and width is just not comfortable.

Sometimes we like things, but they aren't practical for daily life!

I have a sapphire eternity band I love from Blue Nile that I got years ago (I'll link on the bottom). It's definitely a low setting, so very comfortable for the sides of my fingers. It does have a lot of prongs though. It's a size 7, and fits fine on my left hand which is where I plan on wearing the new band. It does fit on my right hand, but if it gets a little warmer out I wouldn't want to wear it on that finger. I am a year and a half postpartum with my fourth baby, so I have a good 10-15 lbs left to lose if I can get the motivation to get going on it. At my ideal weight my ring size is closer to a 6. At that point the sapphire eternity band was too big for my left hand, but fit well on my right hand.

I love eternity bands because they give so much finger coverage without having to get a 5 ct+ solitaire which would cost at least 1.5x what this band will cost me. Mainly because I love step cuts, and the dream solitaire ring is an asscher which faces up so much smaller than a round.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Holy cow! I just can’t wait to see it. I love large eternity bands (I am not lucky enough to have one, but maybe some day). Please pick a very talented jeweler- and come back with pics.

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
Holy cow! I just can’t wait to see it. I love large eternity bands (I am not lucky enough to have one, but maybe some day). Please pick a very talented jeweler- and come back with pics.

Me too! I'm kind of too scared to get my hopes up too much. My husband sometimes changes his mind, and if things aren't one click away to buy there's a very big chance he'll pull his good graces before I have the chance to get it done.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Me too! I'm kind of too scared to get my hopes up too much. My husband sometimes changes his mind, and if things aren't one click away to buy there's a very big chance he'll pull his good graces before I have the chance to get it done.

Then, get to clicking!! :) Do you have someone in mind to create this for you? I’ve been so amazing happy with the vendors recommended by PS.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
This ring sounds amazing! With those size stones and your finger size fluctuating a lot, I would recommend making a 7 stone or something similar. It will give you the eternity look, but offer more flexibility for resizing and comfort. It will also save you quite a bit of money since you will need fewer stones!

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
Ha! I wish it was one click away. I would’ve had this ring a year ago. He has a friend who is a GIA certified? Trained? Whatever, he’s from GIA and one of only 5 in our whole city. He’s actually a wholesaler, so he’s doing this for us even though he usually doesn’t have individual clients, but just supplies other jewelers. Otherwise there’s a ton of beautiful rings out there, but they’re just too expensive, and even at that, they have to be custom made most of the time too.

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
This ring sounds amazing! With those size stones and your finger size fluctuating a lot, I would recommend making a 7 stone or something similar. It will give you the eternity look, but offer more flexibility for resizing and comfort. It will also save you quite a bit of money since you will need fewer stones!

I have a 5 stone that my mom’s side of the family bought me as a wedding present. It’s beautiful, but there’s just something about the full eternity look I can’t get over. It’s so beautiful, and I love how you can see the diamonds from all angles. I still catch myself in awe of my sapphire one. If it’s not a full eternity band, I’d rather try to get a solitaire.

I think a large eternity is such a stunning look, this ring would be my goal ring! Absolutely LOVE the size that you’re looking for. I can’t wait to see pictures :D

You could leave a sizing gap in the back - to the tune of 1 or 2 stones worth - which would give you some flexibility if you need to go bigger or smaller in the future. If that’s something you don’t want to do, I would size all your fingers (index and middle along with ring) on both hands, and then decide on a size. For example, when it’s a little big on your left ring finger because of the humidity/weather etc, will it fit on your left index? What if your fingers do go down to a 6 - would an 8 fit another finger instead?

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
I think a large eternity is such a stunning look, this ring would be my goal ring! Absolutely LOVE the size that you’re looking for. I can’t wait to see pictures :D

You could leave a sizing gap in the back - to the tune of 1 or 2 stones worth - which would give you some flexibility if you need to go bigger or smaller in the future. If that’s something you don’t want to do, I would size all your fingers (index and middle along with ring) on both hands, and then decide on a size. For example, when it’s a little big on your left ring finger because of the humidity/weather etc, will it fit on your left index? What if your fingers do go down to a 6 - would an 8 fit another finger instead?

This is definitely my dream ring. I do like the idea of it fitting other fingers if it‘s too big to fit my left ring finger. The thing is I’m intending on wearing it as my wedding band. It will definitely be the most impressive piece of jewelry I’ll possibly ever own, and I want to wear it as much as I can. Which is why I’m so concerned with it fitting forever. Would it be weird to wear a very simple plain platinum band or my sapphire band as my wedding band as I lose more weight, and then this one be a middle finger right hand ring?

This is definitely my dream ring. I do like the idea of it fitting other fingers if it‘s too big to fit my left ring finger. The thing is I’m intending on wearing it as my wedding band. It will definitely be the most impressive piece of jewelry I’ll possibly ever own, and I want to wear it as much as I can. Which is why I’m so concerned with it fitting forever. Would it be weird to wear a very simple plain platinum band or my sapphire band as my wedding band as I lose more weight, and then this one be a middle finger right hand ring?

I don’t see why that would be weird at all! I quite like the idea of a very simple plain band as a wedding band. As long as your jewelry all ties together cohesively I think it would look great! I love eternities on the index or middle quite a bit.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi classicallychic! :wavey:
I just happened across your post and saw my name mentioned! :D So glad that my ring has been dancing around in your head as a lovely one.
My stones are .80 each so your ring should be just the same.
It is hard to know what to do about finger size when you live in a warm climate..
Sounds like making it slightly bigger with balls for adjustment is a good idea.
Also.. I bought a skinny skinny ring spacer for under $50 (it's that thin) on etsy that I wear on top of rings that are a bit large and it does the trick holding them on my finger without showing too much.
Enjoy the whole process!! Very exciting!
One last thing.. maybe order a costume ring in a size up and see how it feels on your finger?
Something like this?

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Emeralds might not be a good choice as the stones under your finger would get a lot of wear and tear if you wear it daily. I have a cz band, which is harder than emerald, and there is def scratching of the stones from daily punishment...

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
Emeralds might not be a good choice as the stones under your finger would get a lot of wear and tear if you wear it daily. I have a cz band, which is harder than emerald, and there is def scratching of the stones from daily punishment...

Sorry, I meant emerald cut diamonds, not emeralds. I have heard that they also take a beating so maybe I should be more careful when I wear it.

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
Hi classicallychic! :wavey:
I just happened across your post and saw my name mentioned! :D So glad that my ring has been dancing around in your head as a lovely one.
My stones are .80 each so your ring should be just the same.
It is hard to know what to do about finger size when you live in a warm climate..
Sounds like making it slightly bigger with balls for adjustment is a good idea.
Also.. I bought a skinny skinny ring spacer for under $50 (it's that thin) on etsy that I wear on top of rings that are a bit large and it does the trick holding them on my finger without showing too much.
Enjoy the whole process!! Very exciting!
One last thing.. maybe order a costume ring in a size up and see how it feels on your finger?
Something like this?

Yay! I wanted to contact you somehow, but there doesn’t seem to be a private message area on this forum (maybe I missed it). I don’t want to be creepy but I’ve had your eternity band saved on my favorites for so long and it’s the same picture I keep sending my jeweler. Lol. It’s so beautiful! Do you feel like it fits differently better at the same size of a thin band ring just because of the size of the stones and width of the band? Or if a solitaire is flying off your finger at one size so would the band? (Does that make any sense?)

Several of you have mentioned trying out a cheap eternity band first for sizing. I might just go get one and see how I like it. Just for reference, this is the sapphire ring in a size 7 and it fits really well. Still moves around freely and comes on and off easily (for now at least).

97E62EB1-ABF7-4D23-B3B4-E568EA8257C4.jpeg

Attachments

• 0EAA6561-5CD3-4A22-B9C3-EC45B6F18C77.jpeg
    0EAA6561-5CD3-4A22-B9C3-EC45B6F18C77.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 11

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The thicker the band, the bigger the size you will need to go. Definitely consider this when sizing your finger as the ring sizer may not be as thick as the band.

If that band fits well, I would measure it to make sure it is a true 7. Maybe even send it to the jeweler? If you are able to wait, I would also measure your ring size it all conditions and climates (summertime, etc.). Often, I cannot fit my rings on after I get out of a hot shower.

I absolutely love the eternity ring look, but my finger size also fluctuates. My recommendation is to get the size that will fit you most of the time and then "alternate" rings for when your finger size changes. I would try sizing up a little to see how it feels, in case you need some flexibility. I do think my own finger has increased almost half to a full size in the last few years, likey due to a combination of weight gain, diet/sodium levels, and climate changes.

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
O
The thicker the band, the bigger the size you will need to go. Definitely consider this when sizing your finger as the ring sizer may not be as thick as the band.

If that band fits well, I would measure it to make sure it is a true 7. Maybe even send it to the jeweler? If you are able to wait, I would also measure your ring size it all conditions and climates (summertime, etc.). Often, I cannot fit my rings on after I get out of a hot shower.

I absolutely love the eternity ring look, but my finger size also fluctuates. My recommendation is to get the size that will fit you most of the time and then "alternate" rings for when your finger size changes. I would try sizing up a little to see how it feels, in case you need some flexibility. I do think my own finger has increased almost half to a full size in the last few years, likey due to a combination of weight gain, diet/sodium levels, and climate changes.
That’s exactly what I thought I’ve heard before but couldn’t track down the specifics. So the thicker the band the bigger I’d have to go. The jeweler was always a bit perplexed why I was so adamant to go up so much in size as he says usually people only go up around half a size or so as they age. I wanted to bust out some pictures of my mother and grandmothers hands as they aged. They turned into paws, and I love them, but they were definitely not able to wear any of their old rings. They passed down all their jewelry to my two aunts, me and my sister.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Also be mindful not to size the ring too big, as it could fall off easily and you wouldn't want that!! Unfortunately, I think it's just challenging to get an eternity band to fit perfectly if your fingers change in size. Maybe get one that will fit well for now, and plan on having it reset at some point?

You had also mentioned previously about getting a solitaire instead. Would you be happy with one big emerald cut solitaire? You could pair it with a smaller eternity or half eternity, and it might be more flexible for resizing. Just another thought.

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
So I guess this begs the next question, should I set it in a low profile setting, but in a larger size (8/8.5) and have sizers, or should I set it in a medium or slightly higher setting in a size 7.5, and make it where they can shave some of the metal away on the inside as needed so it can go up to say a size 8.5?

Also, would anyone have an opinion on a U prong/shared prong style vs a basket setting?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would set it in a low setting since it will be more comfortable as the stones are fairly large. I've personally never heard of shaving the ring to make it bigger, but that's an idea!

I think it's a matter of preference in terms of the U/shared prong vs. basket setting. The basket setting is probably more secure due to the number of prongs and holding the diamonds in.

classicallychic

Rough_Rock
Also be mindful not to size the ring too big, as it could fall off easily and you wouldn't want that!! Unfortunately, I think it's just challenging to get an eternity band to fit perfectly if your fingers change in size. Maybe get one that will fit well for now, and plan on having it reset at some point?

You had also mentioned previously about getting a solitaire instead. Would you be happy with one big emerald cut solitaire? You could pair it with a smaller eternity or half eternity, and it might be more flexible for resizing. Just another thought.

I would love a solitaire, but the dream is a large asscher, and that would cost too much right now. Maybe eventually I can swing it but this band would be my dream band and I would never want to upgrade it. This would be the dream asscher (just a little bit smaller, but that style with the windmill type of cut), and setting and I’d wear it with a matching plain platinum band. 23D14C9F-F744-4146-9073-74B89A71C332.jpeg

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o Spectacular!

Yay! I wanted to contact you somehow, but there doesn’t seem to be a private message area on this forum (maybe I missed it). I don’t want to be creepy but I’ve had your eternity band saved on my favorites for so long and it’s the same picture I keep sending my jeweler. Lol. It’s so beautiful! Do you feel like it fits differently better at the same size of a thin band ring just because of the size of the stones and width of the band? Or if a solitaire is flying off your finger at one size so would the band? (Does that make any sense?)

Several of you have mentioned trying out a cheap eternity band first for sizing. I might just go get one and see how I like it. Just for reference, this is the sapphire ring in a size 7 and it fits really well. Still moves around freely and comes on and off easily (for now at least).

97E62EB1-ABF7-4D23-B3B4-E568EA8257C4.jpeg

Having a "jewelry creeper" is the best! I'm truly honored!:D
I always have pix of futures on my phone and computer.
I do feel that wider rings need to be a tad larger than thin rings.
My ring is snug.. it's best as a 9 month a year ring avoiding the summer.
I joked that I had a bottle of windex ready to help take it off in the summer as per "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" windex reference.
However.. seems to fit as a 12 month a year ring now.
It's almost 11 years old and in those 11 years (I went from age 47 to 58) my fingers have gotten skinnier.
Whatever you decide you will make it work for you.
P.S. love your sapphire band!!!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*47 to 58 :)

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I meant emerald cut diamonds, not emeralds. I have heard that they also take a beating so maybe I should be more careful when I wear it.

Ooops, my bad. I just went back and re-read...

DmdRunner

Rough_Rock
I just though I’d let you know that ID Jewelry has a special on a stunning 4 carat emerald cut eternity band.

I had a great experience with them with a tennis bracelet.

Hope this helps :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@Rubies-R-Me -- your emerald cut eternity is in my inspiration file too! Its stunning! (Goals!)

What size are the individual diamonds?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results