shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a diamond mentor...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hi all:

Had some questions a few weeks back about what to do with my old engagement ring. You were all so helpful and kind about my modest little ring. Thank you. My ring is at a local jewellers getting reset. It's just a stock setting, but I know I will wear it. It is my first diamond and I didn't want to get rid of it, as my hubbie bought it for me.

Well the unthinkable has happened, and I have come into a small settlement. Here comes the question I never, ever thought I would ask here...I would like to buy a diamond, and I need help. Whew! I've no idea where to start. My early thoughts are that I like emerald cut. Can anyone direct me to where I can find out more (I'm in Canada too)? I have heard clarity is more of an issue, but beyond that...

I am not too sure of size...somewhere between .5 and 1 ct I guess depending on what I can expect for the price. Would I be able to do this for $5000.00? I know what kind of setting I like and that will help me with size. I like a single stone (no pave or extra diamonds) set within a wide band, bezeled on two sides, open at top and bottom, diamond flush with band. Platinum.

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself...forgive me. Just so darn excited...anyway, I welcome any and all of your comments/suggestions/advice. This time, with some help, I am going to do this right.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Garry is there such a service?

to the OP: how exciting! is 5000 the total budget for the ring (including setting?) I don't know that much about step cuts...it is harder to go by the numbers. I would recommend working with a vendor who can advise and make pictures/videos. I know some people have used both Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings Direct for this. James Allen is another option, they have images of all of their diamonds and can provide ASET images on request for up to three diamonds. One thing to keep in mind also is the length to width ratio. this tool can help you find the ratio you like http://www.gemappraisers.com/shapePickerNew.asp

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I think I will be able to do this if I ask the right questions of the right people, so alas I would prefer to put the $$$ into the cost of the ring (read small settlement). I am not in any rush to do this. The $5000 would be for the price of the diamond. I think (although I may be wrong) that I may need all I can to get the diamond in the country and pay for any taxes my beloved country will undoubtedly charge me (gotta love our new tax HST and others I'm as yet unaware of).

I have heard of this ratio, but will read up. Thanks for the start! I like research, and this feels like a cool project.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, so some emerald cuts are long and skinny, and some are short and fat. the tool can help you decide what look you prefer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results