shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowed to 3 - Need to pick by tomorrow

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I've narrowed it down to three stones and am having a hard time picking the final stone.

If you experts could help me choose between the 3 I would really appreciate it!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3599484,3599481,3408360

I'm leaning towards the .728 I due to compromise in cost and my consultant at Whiteflash said it was very close to an H in color but I'd love to get a consensus from this helpful community.

Thanks!

everstone

Rough_Rock
Definitely not the middle one. Either left or right. I would pick the H but if WF employees say the I is close to H, then that might work. Although, WhiteFlash employees are in it to make a buck just like everyone else, so they'll tell you whatever you want to hear.

Would you be willing to go to SI1 and enter 0.90ctw territory?

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
Budget is 3500 - my girlfriend has a 3.75-4.00 ring size and anything above .8 or so looks pretty ridiculous on her finger. I'm definitely up for going to ~.8 ct (6.0mm) but I've been avoiding SI1 just to be safe. I'm not opposed to them but the Whiteflash eye clean definition seemed too arbitrary for me when I was searching. I'm totally up for suggestions :)

Any reason you dismissed the .698 immediately?

everstone

Rough_Rock
I eliminated the middle only because of the I color. The price is really good though. If you are color sensitive I would avoid I, but even if you aren't just knowing it's I might bother you. You've already done more homework than most people who shop for e-rings so I am thinking it might bother you given that most experts say G-H is the best value.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the middle one is quite the deal. You almost have to pay $1k more for the H and $500 more for the other I. Neither of the other 2
Buy you much size. I only wish you knew your color sensitivity.
Have you seen the GOG video on color?

I'll see if I can find it.

Edit

I can't do links with my tablet but if you go to youtube and do a search for
Understanding GIA diamond color Part 2.

By gog

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
I think I have seen it - I wouldn't mind watching it again if you are able to link it.

We've looked and it's been hard to find diamonds with specific characteristics that we're considering online due to stores around here not having a ton in their store.
I also hesitate to do too much judging with the display lights coupled with GIA stones.

I know "I" would be the warmest I would go and would feel safer with the H but with all of the forum posts about PriceScoper's I's I think we would be quite happy with an I. The price helps too.

The stone will be set in:

To make things more complicated...

Thoughts on this one: http://m.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3599787.htm

_1104.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That .8 is nice too. It gets you close to 6mm.

Edit ...pretty setting! Is the thickness of the band 2.6mm most the way around? I see it does taper at the top.

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
Tapers to 2mm at the top

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
Any one else care to chime in? I would really love some more opinions :)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one on the left, the larger I. With the setting you're doing, you shouldn't be seeing much of the tint from the side/pavilion and if it's close to an H, it's a win in my opinion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the setting! Gorgeous.

I agree with the others on the stone choices.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Your setting looks lovely! Op, I like the last stone you posted also. :wavey:

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
That's an interesting option everstone - I'll ask Whiteflash about that one and see if they can tell me why it didn't qualify for ACA.

According to HCA and my poor eyes looking at the images on the website, I have a hard time deciphering the difference between those 2 Expert Selections and the ACA I am looking at as well

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the H VS2

everstone

Rough_Rock

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
I went with the .728 I VS2. It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to see it in person.

If I'm happy, it will be making it's way to LA for David Klass to finish off the ring before I head back to Australia on the 5th of January.

Thank you all for your helpful opinions!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
everstone|1450298215|3962375 said:
newjourney|1450292170|3962338 said:
Regarding the 0.74 ct, its proportions (e.g. table and crown angle) precluded it from being an ACA.
http://www.whiteflash.com/a-cut-above-diamonds-specifications-and-qualifications/

Yeah, but ACA is just a label that jacks up the price. I betcha this stone is an excellent performer and nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. HCA 1.1 "Excellent" rating in all 4 categories. Who needs "A Cut Above?"

People who want the very best, that's who.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results