clarity

Name the best-looking man and woman ever

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G. said:
tourmaline_lover said:
packrat said:
Wow-she's beautiful TL. My friend Josie looks like her.

She is gorgeous, such perfection. Now if you asked my husband what he thought was beautiful, he would say this!! :naughty: I think sexy and beautiful are two separate things, and men tend to perceive sexiness as beauty, whereas women tend to perceive a certain facial structure as beauty. There are exceptions of course. I used to draw a lot, so I get into facial beauty quite a bit.

TL, that's interesting, because I remember reading an article years ago (probably on Cosmo or Marie Claire or something) that said that guys, when asked to choose between Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly, would choose MM - perceiving sexiness as beauty, like you said. Whereas, the women would choose Grace Kelly because of her classic facial features (and I'm in that camp myself).

I love Grace's beauty, and my husband loves MM (I'm not too fond of her face :knockout: ).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
This is probably a ridiculous question, but back in the day, did they have ways to "fix" pictures? Like all the retouching, airbrushing etc that is done now, did they have the means to do any of that back then? Like TL's pic of Heddy Lamarr, (which I have looked at a million times so far, enraptured by her face) is her skin really like that?

JD's idea of beauty is different than "most men" I think-he doesn't really go for the Pam Anderson type (which is good cuz he ain't married to one haha). The women he finds the most attractive are women that I share some traits with, which is kinda funny, but also very flattering.

I know that Hedy looked like that in films, as did her contemporaries like Garbo. They both had beautiful skin IRL. I do think special lighting was used, in fact I know for a fact that special lighting was used, to enhance their features. However, regardless, if you look at the "architecture" of their faces, small noses, big eyes, great bone structure, they pretty much have faces that women pay a ton of money to get today with plastic surgery. It's very rare to be born with such perfect features. Garbo was once voted most beautiful woman in the Guiness Book of World Records, and her face fits the beauty face mask almost perfectly. The upper lip is the only imperfection as it is slightly thin as you can see on the face mask below.

Here's more on the golden ratio of beauty from Oprah's site.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Measuring-Facial-Perfection-The-Golden-Ratio

Long long before I saw this face mask, I actually sketched this photo of Garbo since I thought it was facial perfection. Symmetry is also very important in considering human beauty from a scientific standpoint. There is also a ratio to the eyes, nose, mouth and where they are situated on the face, that is also very important as a consideration to human beauty.

GretaGarbo-byC.S.BullBIG.jpg

GretaGarbo-wMaskBIG.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, it is like the stone market. There were times when actresses were real beauties whose "treatment" did not need to be disclosed because there was none. Nowadays days actors and actresses adamantly deny that their faces or bodies have been "enhanced" but in fact, the "stunning" effects is due to many "treatments" and special photography.

And Pam Anderson is a classic example. I won't buy her if she were a colored stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru said:
From this standpoint, I find Michelle Pfeiffer very attactive - she is a beauty and a talented woman, and she also managed not to create a lot of negative PR in Hollywood.

Michele Pfeiffer's face was studied for the face mask and her face matched it better than any other contemporary Hollywood star.

pfeiffer_bio.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru said:
TL, it is like the stone market. There were times when actresses were real beauties whose "treatment" did not need to be disclosed because there was none. Nowadays days actors and actresses adamantly deny that their faces or bodies have been "enhanced" but in fact, the "stunning" effects is due to many "treatments" and special photography.

And Pam Anderson is a classic example. I won't buy her if she were a colored stone.

It is rather sad, but there are still some natural beauties in Hollywood like someone who mentioned Liv Tyler (I don't think she had any work done), and Rachel Weisz, and I'm sure there are others. As for Pamela Anderson, I think she was more attractive before all the facial work was done (let's not get into her other plastic surgeries!!).

Of course, as many beautiful women age, they feel they need to retain that beauty and have work done. I do know Hedy Lamar had a lot of work done as she got much older. It must be difficult to lose such great beauty because you're aging, although some women age gracefully, and to me, they will always be beautiful.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
crasru said:

It is rather sad, but there are still some natural beauties in Hollywood like someone who mentioned Liv Tyler (I don't think she had any work done), and Rachel Weisz, and I'm sure there are others. As for Pamela Anderson, I think she was more attractive before all the facial work was done (let's not get into her other plastic surgeries!!).

Of course, as many beautiful women age, they feel they need to retain that beauty and have work done. I do know Hedy Lamar had a lot of work done as she got much older. It must be difficult to lose such great beauty because you're aging, although some women age gracefully, and to me, they will always be beautiful.

Scarlett Johanssen
Jennifer Aniston (I think)
Meg Ryan ( I hope)
Julia Roberts
Queen Latifah
Ellen Degeneres
Kate Winslet

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
gaby06 said:
packrat said:
kenny said:
packrat said:
This is probably a ridiculous question, but back in the day, did they have ways to "fix" pictures? Like all the retouching, airbrushing etc that is done now, did they have the means to do any of that back then? Like TL's pic of Heddy Lamarr, (which I have looked at a million times so far, enraptured by her face) is her skin really like that?

Yes, back in the day we did it to the photographic print with tiny brushes and air brushes.

Are you teasing me?

I'm not sure about old times, but my mom's pictures from when she was young are "fix" by hand, I mean to make her skin look soft and hair eyelashes tickers. So I'm sure they did the same with celebrities.

Oh I see, thanks Gaby and Kenny!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those sites you linked are really interesting TL. It think it would be fun to do the mask on myself but then..what if it was like totally off, you know? I'd hate to have scientific proof that I'm unattractive. :rodent:

Hey, TL, who was in your old avatar?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Those sites you linked are really interesting TL. It think it would be fun to do the mask on myself but then..what if it was like totally off, you know? I'd hate to have scientific proof that I'm unattractive. :rodent:

Hey, TL, who was in your old avatar?

I'm afraid to do those measurements on my face too!! Well, let's put it this way, no one has ever rated a 10 on that one site I linked too, and we all have imperfections. Without imperfections, people would be boring. ;))

That was Garbo in my old old old avatar. I used to get a lot of compliments on the "beautiful and sophisticated" woman in my avatar.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, I thought that's who it was-in the same costume from the pics you posted above right?

I saw in a magazine years back there was a website you could send your picture to and they would post it and then people would rate you..something like amipretty.com or howprettyami.com, whatever. It was back before we had internet so I never looked it up, but I remember thinking how awful it would be to send your picture in and then get bad ratings. And there was a reality type tv show years ago too I think, wasn't there? People would get up on stage and a panel of judges would rate you. Something like that anyway.

I nitpick at myself constantly. The last thing I need is someone else affirming my great fears!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I picked two men and two women.

For women, I chose Katherine Heigl. She is so tall, and just beautiful.
Usher- he is so multi-talented, and I love his voice, and he's just adorable.
Ryan Reynolds. Look at that smile, and those eyes. And those abs :naughty:

Ryan-Reynolds_0.jpg

ryan_reynolds_mh.jpg

usher.jpg

katherine-heigl.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Last but not least, Eva Longoria.

eva_longoria.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we should mention Christopher Reeve. A handsome man and a fine actor, and such a tragedy.

But in general, beauty-wise, I stand my ground. I think French understand it best. There is an actress, Annie Girardot. She was extremely popular in 70-es, 80-es and 90-es. Her face is nowhere close to classic beauty, yet she played in so many movies. Her stereotype was of a smart, professional, slightly bitter and very attractive woman. If anyone watches her on Youtube... they will understand. She is a person who would probably wear one, top-quality diamond ring. Or a ruby. But just one.

Same for Adriano Celentano in Italy. He was popular from late 60-es (I think he even has cameo appearance in Dolce Vita, but I may be mistaken) and is still popular now. He is ugly but very attractive.

What would you say if I mentioned Paris Hilton? Technically, she is very pretty, but I doubt we'd accept her into our "best-looking" group.

Are there any Europeans here? Porridge? Fiennes brothers?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This guy :wink2:

(I'm being silly. I married this one, lol.)

MVC-020Fed.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
AGBF said:
crasru said:
I asked my husband and while he certainly would not mind looking at Pam Anderson, he said, he perceived Andie MacDowell as more attractive.

My husband would not know who Pam Anderson was (just as I did not...for a moment I thought it was Bridget Bardot). He, like your husband, loves to watch Andie MacDowell, however. We have watched two of Miss MacDowell's movies, "Green Card" and, "Groundhog Day" more times than I can count! I, also, love her clean, ethereal beauty.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

And I can tell you that if my husband saw Andie McDowell, he would not care for her. He LOVES Marilyn Monroe however. To me, MM was not a beauty, but to each his own. It sounds like your husband has very good taste in women, unlike my husband. ;)) (oh no!! he married me :errrr: )

My husband loves ethereal women. His favorite movie is, "Elvira Madigan" starring actress Pia Degermark as the Danish tightrope walker whose tragic love affair with the Swedish deserter leads to their deaths. He absolutely loves her looks.

Deb/AGBF

PiaDegermark1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here she is again as Elvira Madigan.

PiaDegermark2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo shows her face a bit more.

PiaDegermark3.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another shot from the movie.

PiaDegermarkasElviraMadigan.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo is also from, "Elvira Madigan". It is a black and white photo of Pia Dagermark with a parasol, probably about to walk a tightrope and use it for balance.

Deb/AGBF

PiaDegermarkwithParasol.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
My husband loves ethereal women. His favorite movie is, "Elvira Madigan"

My husband likes another Elvira!! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

elvira_1.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
AGBF said:
My husband loves ethereal women. His favorite movie is, "Elvira Madigan"

My husband likes another Elvira!! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

:shock: Hmmmmm, I'm really not sure about that bearskin hat

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee...TL-

I have to tell you. Now I am getting intrigued about your looks, after all!!! I mean, it was you who pointed out that your husband picked you. Do you ever wear a bearskin hat at night? I mean, don't answer if it's too personal! (Also...do you have any tattoos...well...you know where.)

Deb

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
Gee...TL-

I have to tell you. Now I am getting intrigued about your looks, after all!!! I mean, it was you who pointed out that your husband picked you. Do you ever wear a bearskin hat at night? I mean, don't answer if it's too personal! (Also...do you have any tattoos...well...you know where.)

Deb

LOL! The funny thing is that I hardly wear any makeup, no tatoos, and I don't wear a bearskin hat. Go figure!! :-o

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
crasru said:
Any Europeans? Porridge? Fiennes brothers?
Oh god yeah. Ralph does funny things to my belly.

When I was little I was in love with Marco Leonardi from Cinema Paradiso. I still am. I couldn't count how many times I watched that movie and daydreamed! Oh those eyes...I think he is absolutely beautiful.

You're right about the French. I think it's because they look for beauty in everything, not just the stereotypical good looks that the media has popularised. Also they are masters at keeping things natural and subtle. I think Emmanuelle Béart from Manon des Sources was so naturally beautiful in that movie. I have serious eyebrow envy.

I could go on but I'd be here all night!

manon.gif

MarcoLeonardi.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marvin Gaye
Teddy Pendergrass
Sidney Poitier
Harry Belafonte
Lena Horne
Iman
Gina Lollobrigida
Elizabeth Taylor

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
For the classic American male look, Rock Hudson is pretty dreamy (and not just because my sweetie bears more than a passing resemblance to him...totally his celebrity doppelgänger).

For prettier modern men (because most attractive modern men are of the pretty variety, Jon Hamm excluded), I've always found Jake Gyllenhaal pretty delicious.

Although, comparing the pictures next to each other, they definitely share characteristics. Perhaps long-closeted gay men are my type?

jake_gyllenhaal_3.jpg

rock.jpg

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
tourmaline_lover said:
crasru said:

Scarlett Johanssen
Jennifer Aniston (I think)
Meg Ryan ( I hope)
Julia Roberts
Queen Latifah
Ellen Degeneres
Kate Winslet

Meg Ryan has definitely had work done, and if the persistent rumors are true, so has Jennifer Aniston.

PS Meg Ryan.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't kick Christian Bale (or Eric Bana) out of bed. This may seem like a conundrum since I would never cheat on my husband, but as I will never meet them IRL, problem solved! :tongue:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the golden ratio, reminds me of discussions of ideal diamonds. In general GIA ideal cuts are attractive diamonds, but there are other diamonds with different proportions that are also beautiful, just as faces that fit the golden ratio are attractive, doesn't mean there aren't faces that are outside those ranges that I would also consider beautiful. For example many asian faces would have rounder faces, bigger cheek bones but still beautiful, or women with smaller delicate chins that are elfin looking but still beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy said:
I wouldn't kick Christian Bale (or Eric Bana) out of bed. This may seem like a conundrum since I would never cheat on my husband, but as I will never meet them IRL, problem solved! :tongue:

LMAO!!! Yeah, keep them very very very far away from me!! I'm lucky only ugly men hit on me. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results