shape
carat
color
clarity

N00b could really use some help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Hi! Sorry this might be long. I could really use some help though!!!!!

My boyfriend of 8+ years has decided he wants to propose around Thanksgiving. It''s also my birthday that day and we''ll be spending it with his family. It should be fun and I''m very excited/happy.....only problem is he''s like, "Just pick out the ring you want, honey."

Erm..... I don''t think he understands that women aren''t born with instinctual diamond knowledge lol

And I don''t think he gets that to have a ring we both like made, it will take some time. Do we have enough time for this?

If the experts here wouldn''t mind, I really need help picking the stone, the jeweler, and the setting.

I''m totally diamond lost and confused. Eye clean I get, but when it starts getting into girdles and numbers, my eyes roll back in my head. My bf has given me an approximate amount of $4-$6 thousand for the ring but I overheard him telling a jeweler at a B&M store of around $8,000.

The great thing is somehow we like the same type of settings. It''s kind of a miracle because his style is modern art and I tend to like more antique-ish things. I know I want a round center stone with a few sparklies on the side. This way I can do a matching sparkly band when the time comes. We''ve been looking at 1 CT or a little larger for the center stone. I''d rather get a bigger stone than a small more perfect one. I have good eyesight and if I don''t notice a flaw I''d be happy. A few years ago on vacation, we saw a woman with an amazing ring. It was about a 1.5 CT round solitaire, had a blue-ish color and was incredibly sparkly. When I told her it was lovely, she whispered, it''s actually not that good a stone, it''s just a very good cut. At the time I was like....huh? But now I''m like ohhh and would love it.

A little background on our hunt so far:

We''ve visited some B&M places and Tiffany''s so I could kind of get an idea of what I liked. Nothing completely appealed so I started looking online. I first found this site (amen for all the help on here!) a couple of weeks ago. We live in Chicago, and his family is from Houston. At first I was thinking Whiteflash, but my family is from NY so then I was thinking GOG. About a week ago, I dragged bf downtown to look at Scaasi who we really liked, but we didn''t see quite what we wanted.

I worry about picking a setting without trying it on, having it made, and then not loving it.

Boring probably, but I found the X prongs to be comfortable. I''m a writer and my writing is done via computer. I need something comfortable so I don''t feel the urge to take my ring off every time I start typing away. All my other rings and jewelry are yellow gold but with a diamond I thought I wanted platinum -- until at Scaasi I fell in love with the patina of white gold when it''s undipped. Bf loves platinum so we''ll probably go with dipped white gold and I''ll let it fade to the shade I love over time. I''ve also found I prefer a lower setting to a high one. The high ones remind me too much of my mother''s style *gasp*

SO these are the settings we both like:

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/build/step1.asp?prodID=1-E7180 (I tried this one on and the side and stones were a little too thin, but it was very pretty otherwise)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/SF-LMJ00481/ (can''t see it from the side but it doesn''t look too high)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/V-109/ (side stones might be too thin)

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/X-Prong-Channel-for-Princess_989.htm# (maybe in a round with round sides?)

And my favorite one for having never tried it on is:

http://www.jamesallen.com/item.asp?cid=58&item=887

I know nothing about the last jeweler. I am totally open to all advice and suggestions.

Thanks SO much in advance everyone for your help/advice!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Suteishi, welcome!

You've come to the right place for help. As for the diamond, I assume you want a round? We can surely help you find one, and GoodOldGold is great to deal with, I got the ring in my av there. We need to know just how much to spend on the stone alone. I got a WG D'Vatche X-Prong to go with, and it WAS 600 about 6 months ago, and GOG could get you that too, but I will say D'Vatche is who sets the stone and it takes at least 3 weeks.

Let us know your top stone budget and we'll help you!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I fail to see how his tastes matter at all. This is your ring, right? What does his preference for styling matter? Is he gonna wear it?

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 5:40:25 PM
Author: Ellen
Hi Suteishi, welcome!

You''ve come to the right place for help. As for the diamond, I assume you want a round? We can surely help you find one, and GoodOldGold is great to deal with, I got the ring in my av there. We need to know just how much to spend on the stone alone. I got a WG D''Vatche X-Prong to go with, and it WAS 600 about 6 months ago, and GOG could get you that too, but I will say D''Vatche is who sets the stone and it takes at least 3 weeks.

Let us know your top stone budget and we''ll help you!
Hi! Thanks for replying and for helping! Yes, I would love a round.

It would also be great to stick to my bf''s original budget of $6,000 total. He would be most impressed and pleased (I tend to have expensive tastes lol).

The James Allen style I like in WG is on their site for $1,150 so whatever is leftover for the stone? Do you think that is do-able?

Wow is that your ring in your icon? It''s gorgeous!

And 3 weeks should be enough time as long as I pick this out fast. Yay!

My parents had a sapphire ring made years ago for my 21st birthday and it took months.

Whew huge relief!

Okay, I''m ready to get serious, and some rock help would be great!

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 6:16:09 PM
Author: codex57
I fail to see how his tastes matter at all. This is your ring, right? What does his preference for styling matter? Is he gonna wear it?

lol No, but he is going to pay for it. It works out great that he''ll love it too.

We really thought before going shopping that we''d have to agree to disagree, but it''s a nice bonus that we''re in sync.

And after dating for so long, it''s been fun and surprising to see how into all this he is, but he''s not a big shopper. From clothes to cars, he''s more apt to buy the first thing he sees that he likes and be done with it.

Shopping around is much more me. He wants me to be happy and get what I love. That I can do that and he''ll love it too would just be sweet. ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, and welcome! I think it is great that you have come here before choosing a ring. Like Ellen, I came on here when I was looking for a diamond for our anniversary, and I did end up with a beautiful hearts and arrows stone from Good Old Gold. They were just great in every way. I ended up having my stone set locally because I never could decide on a setting. So it is just being set in a simple 3mm 18k wg setting and I am getting a new diamond wedding band.

If you go with wg, that is good, because it will leave more of your money for the diamond. I''ll try to list a few good ones for you, but there''ll be many good choices in the 1 ct. range!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2513/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1890/

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-49935.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-78256.htm#

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have the vatche x prong in platinum and I''m very happy with it. It''s very comfortable and I love how the x prong head looks. I like the low setting. My only advice is if you plan to wear a wedding band, make sure to try it on when you are shopping for the setting. You''ll either have a very small gap or have to get a curved band. I just started another thread with some pics that might help you. You can see the matching band and my new diamond band. the diamond band seems to fit exactly flush with my w-band but they move apart as I do things with my hands - doesn''t bother me at all. My diamond is similar size to yours also!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-sp-eternity-band.51965/

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
PS I used to live in Chicago and have fond memories of ring shopping at the tiffany on michigan ave!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suteishi, I see you have gotten lots of good suggestions, not much I can add.

And yes, that''s my ring. Thanks!

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thank you so much for the help and advice everyone! I''m really excited now! XD

Okay, I made some progress. I picked out 4 diamonds from the JA website. If I could get some feedback on these (since I''m clueless and probably picked really poorly...there''s no pics only gia certs to go by) I might be able to order by this weekend! That would be so amazing!!!
36.gif

diamond 1

diamond 2

diamond #3

diamond 4

If I chose really awful diamonds, please let me know. I am learning, but there is just so much info out there -- and the B&M stores we''ve seen are like used car dealers at their worst!

Yesterday we stopped by another friend recommended B&M store who had all EGL Israel graded diamonds and a few IGI? (never heard of IGI before then). It was a nightmare. They showed us a .90 D SI1 for $4885 and it was not at all remotely eyeclean. The guy kept saying see how it sparkles? You''d never know it was an SI1.

It had a huge cloud over 1/3rd of the stone! As far as it being a D? It looked as dark as the table! o_O

They also had a very dark H VS2 also with very visible to the naked eye inclusions 1.01 ct for $5484 and an H VS2 for $5975 -- that one looked like someone poured pepper over it. We didn''t even need a magnifier for any of these. It was shocking. The salesman went on and on how "EGL Israel is the best to buy from because they grade the stones right where they''re cut and thus cut out the middleman to save money which we pass onto the customer"

Oh and idealscopes are a waste of time because they can''t judge a good cut...especially a round. Ugh!
20.gif

Makes me so very very glad I found pricescope and y''all!!!

Thanks!

FluorIsMore

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 4:37:30 PM
Author:Suteishi

A few years ago on vacation, we saw a woman with an amazing ring. It was about a 1.5 CT round solitaire, had a blue-ish color and was incredibly sparkly. When I told her it was lovely, she whispered, it''s actually not that good a stone, it''s just a very good cut. At the time I was like....huh? But now I''m like ohhh and would love it.

Were you outside? Could have been a diamond with Fluorescence. That blue is what some of us look for in a diamond. It''s more apparent in direct sunlight or any lighting with a lot of UV.

By the way, a diamond with more color will still look blue outside with Fluor. In dimmer lighting and/or looking across the pavillion (through the side of a diamond) is where you''ll see the yellowness of a diamond that''s "not that good a stone".

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2006 5:11:02 PM
Author: Suteishi

diamond 1

diamond 2

diamond #3

diamond 4
diamonds 1&2 are the same link. with the info given, it looks okay. it gets a 2.4 on the hca, with ''very good'' in all categories. not spectacular but i''m sure it is better than the egl/igi diamonds you saw.
23.gif

diamonds 3&4 both have ''old'' grading reports, so there is no information on the all important angles. get sarin reports on them and we can tell you more.

in the meantime, try searching the ''pricescope your diamond'' above and select ''cut quality search'' you will come up with great diamonds without much effort.
2.gif

best of luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2006 5:40:55 PM
Author: FluorIsMore

In dimmer lighting and/or looking across the pavillion (through the side of a diamond) is where you''ll see the yellowness of a diamond that''s ''not that good a stone''.
color does not change the ''quality''. there is a premium placed on colorless diamonds because of the ''rarity'' of completely colorless rocks but it has no bearing on the quality and it DEFINITELY does not make it ''not that good a stone''
there is more quality in a well cut ''k'' color stone that a poorly cut ''d'' color.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
my favortie ''blue'' stone pic.
it''s an ''h'' color aca with no fluorescence, just blue sky reflecting in it!
3.gif

well cut diamonds are good at reflecting the colors in their environment.

nofluorescence01.JPG

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
i think the diamonds you chose are good... i''m not and expert but i think i''d choose number 1.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Julie''s original JA suggestion for $4950
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&cid=131&item=890273

- it is in house so they can examine it right there and give you an opinion - you can even look at photos of it now. Does very well on the HCA- they could start mounting it in your setting right away instead of having to ship another stone to them to set it...!!
9.gif
And the setting you have chosen gives very nice side/pavillion coverage if that is a concern to you.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2006 8:07:39 PM
Author: :)

- it is in house so they can examine it right there and give you an opinion - you can even look at photos of it now. Does very well on the HCA- they could start mounting it in your setting right away instead of having to ship another stone to them to set it...!!
9.gif
And the setting you have chosen gives very nice side/pavillion coverage if that is a concern to you.
I must have missed something?? When did J/A begin carrying diamonds "inhouse"?

And by inhouse, I mean ''it''s at their premises, not down the street at a supplier''.

If this is so, can anyone provide information on how many diamonds they have on premises?

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2006 8:51:36 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 10/18/2006 8:07:39 PM
Author: :)

9.gif
I must have missed something?? When did J/A begin carrying diamonds ''inhouse''?

And by inhouse, I mean ''it''s at their premises, not down the street at a supplier''.

If this is so, can anyone provide information on how many diamonds they have on premises?
Don''t know when they started, but it comes up on the in house cut search and they have photos of it on their website.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/18/2006 6:57:45 PM
Author: belle
my favortie ''blue'' stone pic.
it''s an ''h'' color aca with no fluorescence, just blue sky reflecting in it!
3.gif

well cut diamonds are good at reflecting the colors in their environment.
WOW belle that''s a stunner. I was going to ask you where to buy a lovely blue stone like that...just need to buy a well cut stone.
21.gif

FluorIsMore

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/18/2006 6:50:14 PM
Author: belle
Date: 10/18/2006 5:40:55 PM

Author: FluorIsMore

In dimmer lighting and/or looking across the pavillion (through the side of a diamond) is where you'll see the yellowness of a diamond that's 'not that good a stone'.
color does not change the 'quality'. there is a premium placed on colorless diamonds because of the 'rarity' of completely colorless rocks but it has no bearing on the quality and it DEFINITELY does not make it 'not that good a stone'

there is more quality in a well cut 'k' color stone that a poorly cut 'd' color.

So what do you think that lady meant by "not that good a stone"? The lady described her diamond as having a very good cut. I'd say that any of the C's reflect in the quality of the diamond, except carat because that is a determination of volume. No, a D color does not reflect in the quality of cut, but it does reflect in the overall quality of the diamond.

I think there's more quality in a well cut 'd' with less carat than a larger well cut 'k'. There's also a premium for more carats that grows exponentially and steeply over 1ct. It's all individual where you want the money to be in, right?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to add that JA is a very trusted vendor here and also where I bought my stone. They also have a small pricescope discount you should ask for if you order from them. I don''t think you''ll have a problem finding the setting and a nice diamond with your budget and it looks like you are off to a good start.

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Okay, so here is where I'm at....

I'm sure James Allen is great. I love that setting, but I just didn't feel like I was quite getting the help I needed especially selecting the center stone. This is a big EVENT for both of us and we didn't feel like it was "special" for them. More like just a sale. Perhaps we just didn't mesh well with them or something? I don't have any bad feelings for them or anything. They're very nice, but I felt like I needed to explore other options.

I called GoodOldGold who has been wonderful. Tim has been outstanding and they have a ring (non-engagement) that I have my eye on for maybe valentines day or when I sell my next book. (I'm a writer and usually treat myself after each book sale to something sparkly. Pretty rings and earrings are very low cal and I pretend like they're an investment instead of an indulgence *blush*)

In the meantime, bf felt I was taking too long to decide so I handed him my notes (I took this project on like I do writing research lol). He looked around ps and became fascinated with WhiteFlash. He's originally from Houston, his parents and sister still live there, and he wanted to call them. Well, WOW. Jamie over there has been fabulous! She seems to really 'get' what we're looking for and after seeing the setting we love, WF is going to make a custom one for the same price! I am THRILLED. XD

Okay with Jamie's help we ended up choosing this one:

gonna be mine

Can't wait! XDD

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! Can''t wait to see the end product!

Brilliant_Rock
Great!

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Thanks! XD

I am VERY happy and excited!

Will post pics when I get some. ^___^

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Congrats, it''s a winner! Can''t wait to see your pics!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I hope you love it. I like your idea of treating yourself with no calorie treats!

What type of books do you write? I''m a BIG reader.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results