shape
carat
color
clarity

MZ... how about this orange

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Look what Val found!!! It is scrumtously ORANGE and I had to share. Besides, I think we need a little orange around here...
28.gif

I am not crazy about the ring ''style'' but I really like the orange stone!

oragnering.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
a little necklace to go with it!

manadringarnetnecklace.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
And yum Yum some earrings!

manderingarentearrings.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did? ... memory lapse.

Actually, I remember the shop, just not that I ever mentioned this ring to anyone. I loved the look of the orange stone in gold at first sight, but... well, it wasn''t meant for me to like it entirely, no?
12.gif

A simple version with a large step cut stone like that may just be nicer next time, IMO.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, Mine! that is one hunk of orange!!!!!!! don''t mind the setting but don''t think it does the stone justice....too busy. any idea how many carats?

am i ever going to get over this fascination with orange?!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2005 3:52:21 PM
Author: movie zombie

am i ever going to get over this fascination with orange?!

Does this help?
31.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yuck! are you trying to give me aversion theraphy?!

peace, movie zombie

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mine, have you ever looked at the Malaya garnets? They are typically orange with a touch of pink. What''s your thoughts on these?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2005 1:27:40 AM
yuck! are you trying to give me aversion theraphy?!

peace, movie zombie
No, not really... ''thought it is nice for a rusty golden color. Not that there is anything ''rusty'' about the other orange things on this thread.
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, nope, didn''t like it!

i tried on a citrine last friday down in san luis obispo at a shop called B.Anthony. the citrine came from zahm and associates.....now that was a stone! and it set the mark for me for ''rusty'' orange. i didn''t know citriine could have cut, color, and ''water'' like that! my husband spotted it first and thought i was a spessartite. it had me fooled too.....it was stunning.

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2005 3:28:43 AM

I tried on a citrine l....now that was a stone...
He, he. Why not! Citrine can be quite something - in one like this, I wouldn''t know what to admire first: the color or the cut.

5101citweb.jpg
4617cit.jpg

Citrine has its ''names'' - such as ''madeira'' and ''oxblood'', but they are often abused. They just mean ''saturated color'' to me, and each seller seems to assume a different hue for their named citrine. If those two above look close to that... that is a new meaning for citrine for me.

Dscn9181citcarvD320opt.jpg
Dscn9160citcarveA3340opt.jpg

Can''t wait to see your orange prize off the clam shell (in your avatar) and on your finger
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2005 11:45:40 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 12/10/2005 3:28:43 AM

I tried on a citrine l....now that was a stone...
He, he. Why not! Citrine can be quite something - in one like this, I wouldn''t know what to admire first: the color or the cut.

5101citweb.jpg
4617cit.jpg

Citrine has its ''names'' - such as ''madeira'' and ''oxblood'', but they are often abused. They just mean ''saturated color'' to me, and each seller seems to assume a different hue for their named citrine. If those two above look close to that... that is a new meaning for citrine for me.

Dscn9181citcarvD320opt.jpg
Dscn9160citcarveA3340opt.jpg

Can''t wait to see your orange prize off the clam shell (in your avatar) and on your finger
1.gif
Wow 5101 is the first concave cut I have really like...Saxon said they look like fireworks and I think she is right but this one, the cut is just so neat with that pattern. Very kool! I wish he had a blue one.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2005 2:54:10 PM
Author: MINE!!
a little necklace to go with it!

I do not like orange...but I actually like that necklace (and also the earrings below it). In fact I have even been wondering if I will like the setting for a diamond I have had made as much as the Gurhan ring with a spessartite that inspired it! I am starting to think that orange stones (like spessartite) are less insipid with yellow gold than are diamonds!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2005 7:51:00 PM
Deb... we WILL eventually convert you to the Orange Side!!!
11.gif

It has happened and I am actually quite frightened by it!

Proof of Orange Brainwashing

If I saw enough of those short white go-go boots worn in the 1960''s, I would probably find them enchanting after a while. I am WEAK!!!! Once I start seeing something, I start to like it. That is how crazy fashions spread. People like me see too many jeans with holes and they start to look good! ;-)

Deb

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to the world of orange, deb! its really quite lovely in here!!!!! the sirens of high gold and spessartite are very very hard to resist but put them together and it is impossible!

Ana, the citrine i tried on was very much like the darker orange you posted.....and that #5101 is scrumptious! that one says ''buy me but me buy me buy me''!

peace, movie zombie

ps Mine, are you getting orange earrings?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2005 2:11:59 AM

Ana, the citrine i tried on was very much like the darker orange you posted.....
He, he...
2.gif
You are in deep!

What if something had that color and allot more brighteness to boot?
31.gif
I am thinking zircon this time (after seeing a large & gorgeous one!) not diamond.

This, is yet another garnet:

malig286b.jpg
link to source

Does anyone know why orange is addictive ?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2005 3:42:18 PM
Author: Matatora

Wow 5101 is the first concave cut I have really like... I wish he had a blue one.

.... why did you have to ask...
6.gif
Link

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ana, the garnet from ebay is a bit more on the brown side but its still a beauty.....and i have thought of zircon for more orange.

peace, movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2005 9:26:25 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 12/11/2005 7:51:00 PM

Deb... we WILL eventually convert you to the Orange Side!!!
11.gif

It has happened and I am actually quite frightened by it!

Proof of Orange Brainwashing

If I saw enough of those short white go-go boots worn in the 1960''s, I would probably find them enchanting after a while. I am WEAK!!!! Once I start seeing something, I start to like it. That is how crazy fashions spread. People like me see too many jeans with holes and they start to look good! ;-)

Deb

LOL... that is wonderful Deb... I had to read it a few times to be sure... but I am glad to know that it worked!!!

Please keep us up to date on that ring.. YUMMY!

MZ... no .... but it sure gives me a few ideas!!!!

americanthai

Rough_Rock
Greetings All.

While it is a rare gem, the orange color of the best Clinohumites from Pamir can be impressive. Unlike most unusual gems, this one is hard and durable enough to be used in jewelry as well. Some Clinohumites are more orange-yellow, and others are orange-brown, but the best stones are a beautiful saturated deep orange. Best, Scott.

clino105pbt.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
never heard of this one!!!! thank you for another orange to lust after.

peace,, movie zombie

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Scott, how hard is the Clinohumite?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t Zircon a 5.5 or 6? I think a six would be nice for a pendant but I would hestiate on a ring.. nice color though!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think zircon would be ok for a ring that is worn lots....like an e-ring. and i''m sure it would depend on how its set. but for earrings it could be a real ''wow''.

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scott, good to hear about clinohumite again. It had its own thread here (you may recognize some pictures).

Is it coming from anywhere but Pamir anymore? Just curious.

When I first heard of clinohumite gems before stones started comming from Pamir... what you could expect was some little bits below half a carat at any price the seller might suspect you would agree on. I wonder if there is any chance this stone will ever be a practical choice for vivid orange instead of conversation piece throughout geology departments.

Aside GG, I don't have any report of it at hand (there may be others, I haven't been too dilligent about it). If gemology publications are any indication of rarity, GG introduces the material in '88 and '91... and the next report in 2001 finds clinohumite all but forgotten (mistaken for another mineral that I found offered for faceting, but never seen worked out - bastnasite).

americanthai

Rough_Rock
Thank you Ana,

Facet grade orange Clinohumite also reportedly is found in the Lake Baikal region of Siberia. Edna Anthony has written a very informative webpage on the Humite group of minerals:

http://www.attawaygems.com/NMFG/Lets_talk_gemstones_Humite.html

The mineral also occurs with Spinel in Mogok, Burma - the crystals are bright yellow-orange, but generally fractured and opaque. A new source of facetable Clinohumite is Mahenge, Tanzania, where it also occurs with Spinel. Some of these stones can be quite attractive, but they tend not to have the same vivid orange tone as the best gems from Pamir.

We were fortunate to buy a quanity of Spinel and Clinohumite rough from several miners who actually work the deposit at the Kuh-i-Lal mine in the Pamir Mountains. The location is remote (south of Khorog on the Tajik/Afghan border), and the summer mining season is short. Eye-clean stones weighing more than 1 carat remain elusive. Even with slight inclusions, the orange color can be impressive, and the brilliance of the gems is notable as well.

Here is a good webpage with maps of the Pamir Mountains.

http://www.pamirs.org/maps.htm

Best Regards from Bangkok, Scott.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2005 10:28:33 PM
Isn''t Zircon a 5.5 or 6? I think a six would be nice for a pendant but I would hestiate on a ring.. nice color though!!

7.5 but its rather brittle.
Its fine for occasional wear in a ring but I would hesitate in an e-ring.

Another option is be-treated sapphire.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 12:39:57 AM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 12/17/2005 10:28:33 PM

7.5 but its rather brittle.

Its fine for occasional wear in a ring but I would hesitate in an e-ring.

I love my orange zircon ring, but yeah I think I''d hesitate to wear it as hard as I wear my diamond engagement ring. I do wear it at least 2 or 3 times a week though.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
picture of orange zircon ring, please!!!!!

peace,movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results