shape
carat
color
clarity

My wedding ring is done!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
ETA: I'm totally in love with it now, and have better pics posted here!
9.gif

Sooooo, I don't have any pictures that turned out too well, but I just wanted to show off my new wedding ring!!!
9.gif
It's the Vera Wang matching band that goes with my engagement ring! I am 95% happy with it, and would like everyone to tell me to shut up and love it the last 5% too.
20.gif
My issue is just that I thought it would match the band of my engagement ring exactly, but it's much higher set off of my finger, plus there's way more metal on the sides so when you look down from the top it looks kind of channel set...which my engagement ring doesn't look like at all. So the wedding ring would be square if you were to see a cross-section whereas the engagement ring band is rounded at the top. So basically, my fiance's argument is that this is what they think is "the matching band" so it's not like us pointing this out is going to make any difference. (Neither engagement nor wedding were custom.) Meaning they delivered exactly what we ordered. And it does kind of make sense that the wedding band would be a little taller with more metal to make it sturdier for everyday use. But, because it's higher off the finger, I can feel it more on my pinky and middle fingers, plus it sits a little further away from the engagement ring because the higher bit of metal hits higher up on the prongs. But I actually kind of like how that looks because it makes the effect almost like a split shank! So, basically, I really like the way it looks and am happy with it BUT at the same time I a little bit feel like if this is really going to be my wedding ring for the rest of my life, I want it EXACTLY right. That said, I know that you probably can't even tell what I'm talking about from the pictures and I'm 100% sure that no one would ever be able to tell just from looking at them on my finger. Soooo, what do you think?

lfaz_set9.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
so you can see the side a bit...

lfaz_set7.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
another

lfaz_set1.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I have a few coming.
4.gif

lfaz_set2.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I really dooooooo like it....

lfaz_set3.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
So I feel mean for complaining at all...

lfaz_set4.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Because I think it''s prettyyy!
9.gif

lfaz_set5.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
So what do you guys think??

lfaz_set6.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
This is the last one for now! I''ll try to take some in the sunlight soon so they come out better!

lfaz_set8.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
First, I have to say your rings are gorgeous!
36.gif

But, yes, that would bother me too and enough that I would probably not wear them together. However, I''m really picky about things like that! My first wedding band, a plain platinum 3mm band, is the opposite of yours- it sits lower than my e-ring and it annoyed the heck out of me
14.gif
. My DH gave me a 1/2 ct. diamond anniversary band for our 1st anniversary and the sides are higher and it matches my e-ring so much better! I will say, DH does not normally buy anything expensive like rings but he was so tired of hearing me complain about my first w-band and my e-ring not meshing well, that he really bought it to save his sanity!
27.gif

If you aren''t 100% loving it right now, that feeling might not go away!

Carrie

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous! And I like the fact that it''s ever so slightly different, so it doesn''t seem like just anothe part of the engagement ring.

Plus, if Vera thinks it looks good, I think it does too!

Good luck with your decision!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I see what you are saying, but the difference in the rings doesn''t detract from their beauty. I think you have a stunning set there and Vera Wang certainly wouldn''t have screwed this up would she???

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!
9.gif

Sundial & Shinythings - I think you''re both right...I really don''t think it''s any LESS pretty; it''s just taking me a little time to get used to it since it''s not quite what I was expecting. I do think the ring is beautiful though, and the differences are so tiny that I''ll get over it and just love it completely as a set soon. Already in the 6 hours that I''ve had it and been wearing it around the house I have gone from 80% loving it to 97% loving it, so I really do think it is just a matter of reconciling my expectation with the actual ring. Because it really is gorgeous, and Vera definitely didn''t "mess it up," it''s just not quiiiiiite what I thought it would be. But that''s okay!

Carrie - good to know that if I DON''T ever come to love that last little bit, I can always make my fiance buy me a new one in a few years!
2.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think it is beautiful. However, it would drive me nuts to have it not look like a 100% perfect match. I agree with your points about it not matching precisely. I would send it back honestly, if that option exists, and ask them to send another one, to see if it could match any better. They should definitely fit flush, being a matching set.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think it is very lovely, but if it bothers you return it. your wedding band ought to be 100% what you want it to be.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
albi, first of all, they are gorgeous. Secondly, I can absolutely see what you are talking about from the pics. It is still an absolute match to me. It just doesn''t feel it on your hand yet.
2.gif
if you don''t love it, what are the alternatives? Is it worth it when you will probably in eight hours time come to LOVE it? See how you feel in a week. When I see your post about how you didn''t know why you were even wondering, I will chuckle a bit. We PSers tend to a lot anal retentive when it comes to our rings. If in a week you''re still not loving it, we will help you figure it out.

shay

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhhgggh. It's so hard. If that's the "matching" ring ... I dunno how you're gonna get one more match-i-er. Custom make it? Oh geez. It would bother me a little too ... but from a distance, the further away shots, it looks like a match ... so I think it'll only bother YOU. If there was an easy way to solve it, I'd do it ... otherwise oh geez. I just don't know!!
6.gif

What about flanking on either side with two of the "not-matching" bands?

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I think the set looks beautiful!!!! The teensy bit more metal complements the diamond and the prongs, and somehow balances the whole look to me. I love it!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 10:36:49 PM
Author: gailrmv
They should definitely fit flush, being a matching set.

The head on the ring is designed in a way that a wedding band cannot sit flush unless it has a notch cut into it. daniel k has some that are designed the same way.

Albi- Honesty, if it bothers you, it may always bother you. I agree that you need to be 100% happy with it. Did you see the set in person before you purchased it? Did you notice the rings not being and exact match then? I''m sure it''s a structual must to have the metal on the sides for the dainty nature of the rings, you just have to decide if you can love it.

here''s a pic of the daniel k''s i tried on..there is a small gap but the band is the same width and depth as the e-ring..

pearldksidetry5.jpg

pearlmansdanielkcush2.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is really gorgeous!!!
How do you feel about it not sitting flush with the ering?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the new comments (& compliments
9.gif
)!

As for not fitting flush, honestly that isn't really the part that bothers me. I think if the wedding ring were a little lower set, it would fit CLOSER to flush, but because my diamond is set so low (which I love), the prongs really come out at an angle RIGHT from the finger, so I don't think it would be possible to have any ring fit completely flush. I figured that out right when I first got the engagement ring, and I am totally okay with that. Like I said, I kind of like how now I get to pretend I have a split shank!
9.gif

As for the degree of matchiness...thanks Shay & Tulip! Part of me really does think they look even better being a teensy bit different? I really can't tell. I am DEFINITELY taking Shay's advice and giving it a couple days before I make a decision though. Another thing that I think is a little bit odd is that the wedding ring is clearly bead set, whereas the engagement ring has sort of ridges between each of the diamonds? I can't really explain it better than that. Other than to say that none of the pictures I've seen describing types of pave have looked quite like the way my engagement ring is set. But the wedding ring is clearly channel-set-ish on the outside and then beadset inside. But like I said before, it's probably good that the wedding ring is a little sturdier because I can wear that in situations where I may not feel like it's safe to wear the engagement ring.

But in the end, I think Deco really hit the nail on the head...if it were easy to fix, or if this were custom, I would totally just get it fixed. But since it really is "what I ordered" and it's the one that "matches"...I'm not really sure what could be done. So I think I'm just going to hope I love it completely, you know, at some point in the next SIXTEEN MONTHS before I actually get to wear it in public.
3.gif

Thanks everyone for all your advice and comments! Keep it coming!
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also like it a lot. But I''m not the one wearing it. Try it out for a while as others have suggested and see if it grows on you. Going custom is an option too. But your ering is gorgeous, love it!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

sluke

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty rings! I always admired Vera Wang''s sophisticated style. I''m not the matchy match type, but if I was getting a Vera Wang e-ring setting and wedding ring setting of the same style, I would expect it to match and it would bother me if they don''t. It''s not like you purchase a ring similiar to Vera Wang''s and hope it would fit. Since it is, is should fit together better.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I think both your rings look beautiful in their own right. However, if I ordered a matching wedding band, I would expect it to match perfectly, especially since it''s by the same designer and supposed to match. Even if I loved the wedding band, I''m not sure I''d be happy to settle for the slight mis-match since I paid for a perfect match and from a good quality designer. Even if you decide to keep the wedding band, curiosity would have the better of me, and I''d have to go to the jewelers where I bought them from and check it out. I personally think they should match exactly, otherwise how can it really be called a matching set? The fact you''ve noticed the diamonds are set differently would enforce my need to investigate further.

I''m sure I read a thread a few months ago, which went into the subject of Michael B rings coming out slightly different. It was put down to the different craftsmen in-house working on each ring, may have a slightly different style, hence it was advised that the reference etched inside the engagement ring, should be provided to Michael B at the time of making the wedding band, so the same craftsman could work on the wedding band and make it exactly the same. I can''t find the thread, but perhaps someone else remembers and can find it.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at VeraWang.com to see your set. The one shown is similar to your band, a little bit different from the engagement ring. Mini''s right, that the craftsman could have been different. I think it''s a good idea to inquire further because maybe the thickness of the band could be reduced. It does look slightly different on her website also, but it'' hard to tell. I still love your set!!!!
1.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Have you questioned the jeweler you ordered your wedding ring through yet? It is always possible that they sent you the wrong ring. A lot of designers have various forms of the same ring. I am the one who did the Michael B thread about checking the initial on the inside of the ring. Also, I have the 3 sided pave ring. In the 3 sided pave ring category there are multiple carat weights that affect how thick the rings are.

I definitely see a difference and although both rings are pretty, the wedding ring looks odd to me. It so close, but not quite. I would ask about it and see if you can get an explanation. It might be just a mistake.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with the majority. To me there are two kinds of wedding sets I love. One is where the wedding band compliments the e-ring and the second where they match EXACTLY. I think it is a very pretty band but it does look like that was as close as you could get for a match. Maybe you could have something custom made.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Albi,
I have to say I think the set is just beautiful and your ring is one of my faves.

I have to agree though that if it bothers you now it will forever! This was part of the reason I ended up getting a whole new e-ring/wedding set. The jeweler that sold my DH my original e-ring said they had a "matching" band for it, but when I saw the matching band, it was similiar to what someone else said, probably their version of "matching" and the closest they could come to my e-ring. Both were bead set but just ever so slightly off in terms of the pave size and size of the milgrain details. the rings also didnt sit flush which probably bothered me more than anything. I sat on it a few days and in the end got a new set since i am a matchy matchy person.

as tacori said, perhaps if it really bothers you you can go the custon route?

good luck!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
First, I too agree that it''s a gorgeous set! Congrats!

I also agree with you that "no one would ever be able to tell just from looking at them on [your] finger." However, it would probably bug me as well that while you bought the "matching" band, it''s not truly a perfect match. The fact that you learned to like it better after a while might be a good sign; I agree with the one who said wear it longer and see if it grows on you or bothers you more. I just know that the things that bugged me about my original ering bugged me more and more as time went on. So like someone said, IF it still bugs you later, and if it''s easy enough to return it (since it wasn''t custom), then maybe you could return it and have something custom made that matches exactly.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
it''s very pretty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results