shape
carat
color
clarity

My trip to Boise HPD

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Pics at the end, but here’s recap on me-25th anniversary coming up in Nov, haven’t worn any rings for last 1.5yrs due to setting damage, and not wanting to just fix but to upgrade. SIP led me to PS, reading and researching led me to CBI stones. I’m the type who likes to see in person, so we decided to take a quick trip to Boise to meet with Wink at HPD. I’m sure glad I did, because otherwise I would have had an even harder time choosing a stone. Wink was very patient with me and I was able to see the stones on two different days, so I had time to mull everything over. Bonus points for it coinciding with my birthday and getting to have dinner with Wink and his lovely wife.

I was able to see stones in a variety of colors, from E to J. I had initially thought I would do an H, and wanted at least 2.5ct. However, due to COVID supply chain interruption, that doesn’t exist with CBI and may not for some time. The two I was drawn to the most were the 3.27 J VS1 and 2.16 F VVS1. I could see the tint in the the J but I had a MUCH harder time deciding against it than I had originally thought. Not because I couldn’t see the color, but because it was so dang sparkly and pretty even seeing its color. This is a testament to the quality of the cut that everyone else talks about, but it was quite the thing to see it in real life. I really was amazed at how good the J looked, and with that awesome size, I was very tempted. However, I knew that the color would bother me, and would feel a loss if I traded down in size and up in color if a such a stone ever surfaced. I was able to see an H in a smaller size and looked at it intently to think if this was the color I was mentally holding out for and, it wasn’t really. I felt it was better to go with the F 2.16 now, and then maybe if a bigger size in a F/G VS1-2 becomes available, then I could look into an upgrade. I had never thought that I could own an F color diamond, so was I extremely happy to choose it because it’s truly lovely! Plus, it is 2.16 larger than what I’m currently wearing, and I do a lot with my hands on a daily basis. God help me if I were to do the 3.27 and DSS sets in! Really though, after not wearing anything the 3.27 was just too big. Maybe later in life I’ll feel differently but I’m just not at that point. I lead a pretty casual life and want to be able to wear my ring through most tasks on a daily basis.

Oh yeah, I somehow ended up with these two little .5 ct E stones. Let’s just say Wink made me an offer I couldn’t refuse! I think I may turn these into earrings or save as sides to one of the birthstone rings I have planned. I could also do a three stone ring, but I’m running a jewelry deficit and so want to spread the love.

Now I’ve got to settle on a ring design so I can start wearing these beauties!

Okay, on to some pics! Keep in mind that these were with my phone and the sky was quite overcast due to the fires. On the plus side, if these stones can look this good in the worst lighting, then they’ll only look better on clear days!

The 0.5E as potential earrings

54F9C6C9-3DA5-4F64-A677-F2F4AF1FE470.png

A quick pic in Wink’s fancy machine...

AD9DB449-3811-4C58-9F04-AFBE22E1100E.jpeg

The 2.16 F in a ring holder

B6CA2F65-C0B1-4C3A-90B3-2F8048E75AEE.png

All three together...

978E3674-CB34-4B40-B666-5D83CCD1405E.png

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! Congratulations!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang... that's a 3-stone waiting to happen. ;-) Beautiful!

She took the words right out of my mouth! Perfect 3 stone proportions! Gorgeous stones! And how fun to spend time with Wink and his wife! Happy anniversary and birthday!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome what a treat to meet them.

Reactions: caf

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sitting with my back at this window is one of my favorite perches to view the diamonds... it’s where the rainbows happen. ;-)

F607A93A-01D9-4085-B281-BACBCD51358C.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty - love the three stones together! Congrats on your new diamonds!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any excuse to go to Boise and see Wink and his wife is a fine time by me.

Your diamond is gorgeous, and I agree that it would make and incredible 3 stone!!!

Wink did my sapphire and diamond 3 stone.

BlingShopper

Rough_Rock
So cool and beautiful stones! I didn’t make the trip to Boise, but I’m looking forward to see what Wink, Layla and team bring my vision to life with a 2.53 I VS2 CBI for my to-be-fiancé.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Congratulations!!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Wow absolutely beautiful stones! Cant wait to see how you set them
Happy birthday & anniversary!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
So excited for you! CBIs are amazing diamonds! This is something you will treasure every single day you wear it. LOVE that you got an ice white F! GORGEOUS!!!!!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blindingly gorgeous!! A 2ct F CBI is a dream stone!

I couldn't help but browse HPDs site for fun after reading your thread. I see they have a 2.13 F/VS1 for 11k less than the 2.16 you selected. Since you mention a jewelry deficit, you could get that stone and use that 11k towards other pieces for the deficit? You could make a three-stone with your .5 sides (stunning!), and with that 11k have plenty for earrings, and maybe a bracelet, pendant, or RHR? Just throwing it out there, as you'd only be going down in clarity, and VS1 is still incredible.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg so jealous of you getting to visit HPD in person! Lovely stones!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
there is so much meaning behind the diamonds, how they symbolize your 25th anniversary, how you acquired them and the lovely day and dinner you shared and enjoyed coinciding with your birthday! way to celebrate and commemorate!!

i think it will be a beautiful heartfelt lasting memory that you will savor for a good long while.

congratulations on 25 years! such a milestone!! happy belated birthday!

thank you for sharing.

the proportion and scale of the diamonds would make a superb 3 stone ring ;)2

in my opinion, for a mrb, doesn't get much better than a colorless bright ...

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your 25th anniversary- that's such a big milestone! How fun you got to visit Wink and HPD in person. Enjoy your lovely sparkly amazing upgrade and welcome to the world of CBIs!

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I’m so grateful to have found this site and being able to learn so much before making this large purchase! I’m not a heavy poster, but here an update for you.

I tend to be an overthinker, and always want to thoroughly think through decisions. I also don’t like changing my mind after a decision has been made. To that end, rainydaze’s suggestion really got me thinking about trading slightly down on the ring diamond, and then I could possibly go up in size for earring diamonds. I’m not really a three stone ring gal, and above all, I am super practical. Spreading the diamond love really appeals to me! Of course, this would mean spending less on the main stone but more overall due to getting larger earrings. I fretted about this because even though the new stone is only 0.03 smaller, it would be that much further away from my ideal 2.5 size. However, the stones I chose for earrings are 1.05 each, which I can’t see ever wanting to upgrade. Also, my trip to Boise was not wasted, as I was able to see a range of colors and sizes and of course, was able to meet Wink and have loads of face time with him and the diamonds. He truly knows his stuff! He was extremely patient with me in going over the merits of either decision, and ultimately respected my choice to swap.

DH was on board with the caveat that this would be it for jewelry for the rest of the year. Um, okay no problem!

So, in summary, I have now “downgraded” to the 2.13 F VS1 for my ER, and upgraded to 1.05F VS2& SI1. Unfortunately I don’t have in person pics of the stones as they are all coming from Antwerp. The video for the 2.13F is on HPD’s site, I’m not sure how to attach that but I believe a video of it is also on their YouTube channel. I’m very happy with my decision and can’t wait to be wearing three CBI diamonds. I’ve already started discussions with Melissa about settings and will make new posts about those once I get CAD’s. I’ve learned my lesson, always post to PS before finalizing decisions to get fresh perspective!

Thanks!~Jul

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting @SuburbanJuls ! I really hesitated to post because these decisions are so personal. I am relieved that I wasn't out of line, and led to even more blingage for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results