shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Sunshine Dreams of Spring pendant - colored stones and diamonds

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
A little over a year ago, my husband gave me this 25.65 ct citrine from Bahia, Brazil, cut by Troy Richardson of Excess Design. He cut in in the “Supernova” oval by Robert Long, which I love because of the broad, geometric faceting similar to old cut stones. It even has a culet!

Troy's photo:
b5dad75f5ed1d07b64ec0e66375c98a7.jpg

It was even lovelier in person, and ranges from a vivid orange to a deep yellow:
20200823_021730508_iOS.jpg
(that weird circle is a reflection, the gem is better than eye-clean)

20200822_233202624_iOS (2).jpg

I wanted to do it justice in a large pendant. I love vivid colors, both complimentary and contrasting, and over the course of the year I collected a bunch of relatively inexpensive colored melee. I really wanted this pendant to be vivid and joyful, especially given all the suffering that has gone on in the world over the last year. And I wanted it to remind me of sunshine, spring flowers, and the natural world. I looked at a number of different options but a simple halo didn’t really feel right to me.

Then I saw the wonderful 1.25 ct tsavorite that @arkieb1 listed on LoupeTroup, and I immediately felt that it “belonged with” the citrine. So I bought it, even though I still had no idea how I would put them together. ArkieB's photo:
Tsav_Inside_under_good_lighting_1.jpg

As usual, lovelier in person. My photo:
20201125_215013970_iOS (2).jpg

I do all of my jewelry design with in Powerpoint, using photos and shapes that I have sized to their real-life scale. When possible I also take photos of metal elements like bezels to try to make sure that my design is roughly going to fit together. I started playing around with different options… I really liked green and violet to contrast with the orange of the citrine… this is with 3mm violet sapphires, 2.5mm tsavorite, and 1.5mm diamonds:

first try citrin.png

But I realized that green-on-green was not going to look so great next to ArkieB’s tsavorite, because I could not match the exact same color of green. I DID however have medium pink tourmaline melee that was the same size as the tsavorite, 2.5mm:

Picture5.png

Once I saw this color combination of pink, violet, and green I really liked it and wondered what I could do if I extended the same color combinations to the citrine. I worked on the below design, and as soon as I saw it, I knew that this was IT!
citrine mock up.png

Now, how to get this done inexpensively? I already had a great experience working with CaiMao in China, but I was curious about the option of using gold and sterling and they don’t work in sterling. I had seen the beautiful work that @dk168 had from Diamondmounts, also located in China, and really wanted to try them. I sent them my “design specification” for the pendant and asked them to price it in a number of different metal combinations. I'll share what my design specs look like in case the format is helpful to anyone:
spec.png

I also asked them to make a decorative basked on the back like this:
1610912198158.png

I worked with Cherry at DiamondMounts. She was super helpful, responsive, and easy to work with. They changed the diamond size to 1.4mm but otherwise my design worked. She quoted a number of different metal combinations and I wound up going with 18k yellow + 9k white gold because it was only a little bit pricier than 18k + sterling, and 9k gold is super durable. She didn’t mind that I was going to supply all of the stones myself, including diamonds (I get all of my melee diamonds from K Rosengart, and they are superb and have the best pricing I am aware of.)

The CAD came back perfect on the first try, no changes needed:
CatchDFE5.jpg

I shipped my stones to China, and then came the wait!

(continuing in another post due to # of image limits)

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
So my stones arrived in China on Dec 30th, and my pendant was done on Jan 8th. I could hardly stand it, but we needed to wait a few extra days before shipping it so that Cherry could finish a platinum zircon ring to send in the same package. I am always amazed at how fast DHL is internationally, she mailed the package on Tuesday my time / Wed her time, and it arrived on Thursday afternoon! It was even a day ahead of the scheduled delivery. I am going to spam this thread with about 9 million photos, as I cannot get over how gorgeous and entirely unique it is.

Stats:

• 25.65 ct citrine, from Excess Design
  • 1.25 ct tsavorite from ArkieB1
  • 44 1.4mm diamonds, total 0.53 cts, from K Rosengart
  • 38 2.5mm medium pink tourmalines
  • 24 2.5mm tsavorite garnets
  • 12 3mm violet sapphires from Sri Lanka
  • 18k yellow gold, 9k white gold

Tragically there has been no sun here at all since it arrived. So these are all either rainy day lighting or incandescent indoor lighting. I specifically picked all of the colored stones based on how they look in incandescent lighting, because it’s quite dark where I live about half the year.

Rainy natural light:
20210116_231130679_iOS (2).jpg

20210116_230141709_iOS (2).jpg
20210116_231224714_iOS (2).jpg

20210116_231105508_iOS (2).jpg

Incandescent lighting:
20210117_004116609_iOS (2).jpg

It's glowing...
20210117_003952928_iOS (2).jpg

20210117_004315098_iOS (2).jpg

20210117_003921589_iOS (2).jpg

20210117_004222640_iOS (2).jpg

Back and sides:

20210116_230008862_iOS (2).jpg

20210117_004045309_iOS (2).jpg

20210116_230045481_iOS (2).jpg

20210116_230035515_iOS (2).jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is STUNNING. Sunshinelicious and color delicious. :kiss2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah thats fantastic!
Love that citrine cut, but all the stones are very pretty.
love your design process, too.
thanks for detailing it here :)

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
If you feel that custom work is out of reach, I strongly recommend checking out Diamondmounts and/or CaiMao. Diamondmounts' cost to make this pendant, which includes the 18k + 9k gold metal, the design work, all of the stone setting and bench work (but no stones as I bought and supplied them all myself including diamonds) was less than 700 USD. Their workmanship is absolutely excellent, on par with great US custom benches (though of course very high end and specialty US benches are better.) Through K Rosengart, the melee diamonds were $460/ct and I bought .53 ct. She sells ideal-cut melee, and her I-J Si1 diamonds are gorgeous and IMO a tremendous bargain. That's what these are.

The lighting is not great here for human photos, but here are a few neck shots.

20210117_002635582_iOS (2).jpg

20210117_002906139_iOS (2).jpg

The pendant is very versatile. Because it's large and striking, it can be worn on a long chain and over clothes no matter how bright they are. But because of the elegant tsavorite element, it looks great worn on a short chain close to the neck too. This is an 18" chain here, I think it would look even better on a 15-16" chain near the hollow of the throat.

20210116_230652822_iOS (2).jpg

I could not possibly be happier with all of the vendors involved in this experience, and I have to say, seeing my own design come to life has been very satisfying.

Last edited:

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
What a unique and gorgeous piece. It definitely captures the beauty of the sunshine and spring flowers. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, just WOW, what a pendant, thanks for sharing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Glad to hear diamondmounts delivered as I knew they would.

DK :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pendant. What a fearless project. Congratulations! It looks fabulous on you.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, just WOW, what a pendant, thanks for sharing! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Glad to hear diamondmounts delivered as I knew they would.

DK :appl:

Oh man, did they ever! I really have to say THANK YOU DK, because I wouldn't have known about them if not for you and your rings! :kiss2: In addition to the great craftsmanship, I find it particularly impressive that they nailed the CAD on the first try -- that's unusual, and shows Cherry's attention to detail and really listening to the customer. Since it was my first project with them, they also didn't have the benefit of understanding my design preferences. A gorgeous blue zircon ring arrived with this pendant which I will post soon, and they are working on two more projects for me, and I have them quoting a few more. It's dangerously addictive to find an amazing low cost bench!

Oh my! What’s feast for the eyes! Would love to see neck shots!

Thank you soooo much, I added neck shots in a separate post above.

This is STUNNING. Sunshinelicious and color delicious. :kiss2:

That is the perfect description Missy!! Sunshinelicious and color delicious!

Oh yeah thats fantastic!
Love that citrine cut, but all the stones are very pretty.
love your design process, too.
thanks for detailing it here :)

Thank you so much! I see the OEC in your profile photo, you can probably see what I love so much about the cut on the citrine. I have since learned that Robert Long and Norman Steele worked together as design partners, and there are more cuts like this that they designed together. Troy Richardson has used a number of cuts from them, and I got a large blue topaz in a similar but beautifully different cut designed by Norman Steele.

What a unique and gorgeous piece. It definitely captures the beauty of the sunshine and spring flowers. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

Thank you sooo much, that's exactly what I was going for!

What a pendant. What a fearless project. Congratulations! It looks fabulous on you.

That is a perfect complement, my intent is always to be fearless in creativity and art. :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Polyhex I too have a few low cost items in the making with them, hopefully they will be ready to ship soon.

DK :))

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Exquisite, breathtaking, one of a kind amazing! Thank you for sharing your journey and this beautiful piece of art with us!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 @Polyhex do you have the website for Diamond Mounts? I’d love to get ahold of them for a few setting ideas of my own

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean...... wow.
Just WOW!
It's not very often my jaw hits the deck, but Holy mother!

Stunning!!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Exquisite, breathtaking, one of a kind amazing! Thank you for sharing your journey and this beautiful piece of art with us!

Thank you sooo much!

@dk168 @Polyhex do you have the website for Diamond Mounts? I’d love to get ahold of them for a few setting ideas of my own

Use eBay messaging and send them a photo of your email address and ask them to contact you via the photo details: https://www.ebay.com/usr/diamondmounts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I mean...... wow.
Just WOW!
It's not very often my jaw hits the deck, but Holy mother!

Stunning!!

Hah hah, I felt the same every step of the way! The first time the design came together in powerpoint, first CAD, vendor photo, opening the box, and now every time I walk by a mirror! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: Thank you so much!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing work of art. I can't get over how perfect the colors, the detail, and the proportions are.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you feel that custom work is out of reach, I strongly recommend checking out Diamondmounts and/or CaiMao. Diamondmounts' cost to make this pendant, which includes the 18k + 9k gold metal, the design work, all of the stone setting and bench work (but no stones as I bought and supplied them all myself including diamonds) was less than 700 USD. Their workmanship is absolutely excellent, on par with great US custom benches (though of course very high end and specialty US benches are better.) Through K Rosengart, the melee diamonds were $460/ct and I bought .53 ct. She sells ideal-cut melee, and her I-J Si1 diamonds are gorgeous and IMO a tremendous bargain. That's what these are.

The lighting is not great here for human photos, but here are a few neck shots.

20210117_002635582_iOS (2).jpg

20210117_002906139_iOS (2).jpg

The pendant is very versatile. Because it's large and striking, it can be worn on a long chain and over clothes no matter how bright they are. But because of the elegant tsavorite element, it looks great worn on a short chain close to the neck too. This is an 18" chain here, I think it would look even better on a 15-16" chain near the hollow of the throat.

20210116_230652822_iOS (2).jpg

I could not possibly be happier with all of the vendors involved in this experience, and I have to say, seeing my own design come to life has been very satisfying.

Wow ! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
SO STUNNING AND AMAZING!!!

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Wow, so intricate and thoughtful. The amazing results clearly show your passion for this project! Now you can enjoy the piece for years to come. :dance:

Daisy_Margaret

Rough_Rock
Good gracious, this is amazing! Lovely and uplifting to look at. You’re very creative!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The COLORS!
What a ridiculously beautiful and colorful pendant that is!! :love: :love: :love:
And thank you for giving pricing details because that makes it much easier to figure out what metalwork actually costs to have done. It can be intimidating when you have limited funds to even ask questions of cost from a manufacturer/bench.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! This is bursting with life, color and happiness! What a unique and lovely piece! Enjoy!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Wow @Polyhex , if your beautiful piece isn’t an ode to spring then I don’t know what is! Thank you for sharing your creative process. Really fun to follow along.
You really had a vision and instinct for this project. The colors really sing together!
I’m very happy the company you used was able to bring your vision to life so beautifully and that the outcome is bringing you much joy. Your lovely smile says it all!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Polyhex, thank you for sharing such detailed information and costings. This really helps others evaluate the feasibility of their ideas.

The pendant looks fantastic.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Jaw-droppingly luscious. I think I said "Wow!" out loud six times while I was scrolling through your photos. Very, very nice!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What a work of art!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That is just super! How incredibly beautiful and unique.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results