shape
carat
color
clarity

My Summer Rose, Rose cut Diamond Pawn Shop Find

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how she came up with 1700's but when she mentioned the small chips on the girdle I was thinking that certainly wasn't bad for a diamond that aged could have been worse!

Thanks @PreRaphaelite for linking to IG!

I'm going to throw up a video of my OEC tonight too, had her take a look at it and she graded it L color but it has medium blue fluor so that helps it a lot. That's the pawn shop find I had set into six prongs. She graded that one an SI2 with the chipping which I was thankful it wasn't an I1!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks you so much @Weecam, definitely check out the pawn shops, there is so much good stuff out there just waiting to be found!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame it really is a very soft look but also quite entertaining as the light bounces off of the facets, really an interesting cut.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bringing the carat weight to about .28 points.
Whaaaa? really? It sure doesn't look that small.
She dated the setting to Victorian era and said the diamond was probably 1700's.
Yes! This is what I thought, too. So cool to have multiple eras represented in your jewelry! Makes you wonder about the first owner,
where in the world it was mined, the diamond cutter....all that interesting stuff!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know right? I was surprised by the size too BUT rose cuts are spready, I thought this one was at least 1/2 carat because she looks the part! I would love to know the story, the appraiser did say that there was a good amount of patina between the prongs and the ring may have been stored for a while. She was definitely surprised to see a rosie come walking in @stracci2000!

ETA: There is a pair of rose cut diamond earrings on LT: https://loupetroop.com/listings/earrings/reduced-genuine-rose-cut-diamond-studs-in-6-prong-setting

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new rose cut and also the antique setting she came in. What a great find.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Lookinagain, it's always nice to find that someone kept the original setting, it's like original unpainted woodwork in a house :mrgreen2:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Full disclosure, after sharing my bow tie ring I did not expect to start another thread in SMTB but you guys have to see this.

If you like a story here it is. Yesterday I decided to go pawn shopping in a city a few towns away. This girl was at my second stop, a really small place in not the best part of town. Anyways I spot her and was smitten, the guy immediately says "it's a small size" yeah buddy I know I got big fingers but just humor me lol! Put her on and she is glorious but dirty, they want $500 but have no stats on size or any information about the diamond at all. So I ask what's the best you can do...$450. I didn't have any cash on me so I knew it wasn't coming home with me plus it could be paste, it is so dirty I can't tell heads from tales, also this is the first rosie I have ever seen. Now I also asked about some video games for my son and that will be important later. So I left.

I get home and start looking online and think I have to go back and get it BUT they were closing soon and I knew I couldn't get back there. Normally I could just be relaxed and know I could go back the next day but DH and the kids took the car for the day and now I have no ride back there. Then it hit me, Uber to the pawn shop! Yup I got an Uber to the pawn shop because I am freaking crazy.

Get in the Uber (BMW) and the driver is an antiques dealer! Super nice guy he is giving me all these tips on getting this ring for a deal, talked so much he missed the exit! He drops me off and the shop isn't open, supposed to open at 10 but the guy isn't there, his father is there, he tells me there is an accident on the highway and he will be late, we talk and he offers to buy me a coffee, says I can come back later (he didn't know I took an Uber lol!) so I wait for an hour. Finally the guy pulls up, time to make a deal.

I had already told the father I came back for the game for my son so when the son was unlocking the store I said "yeah my son was like Mom, you have to go back and get that game". Go in get the game and then ask about the ring, he gets is for me and she is more beautiful today than yesterday. Funny thing I couldn't remember if she was foiled or not but no there she was in all her unfoiled antique beauty. I ask him to test the diamond in front of me, no problem and it is real. Okay, what is the best you can do( I am aiming for 20% off)?$425. Well, I'm going to have to have it resized....how about $350? He comes back with......$375!!!!!!!!!

DEAL!

Get an Uber home and cleaned her up, she is so beautiful, so clear, then I get out the calipers, 6mm long by 5mm wide! She is a pinky ring for now and the prongs will need a little work but she is my summer rose and I love her to bits. The setting is 14k.

Pictures because you deserve them for reading that novel!

IMG_6198.JPG IMG_6199.JPG IMG_6200.JPG IMG_6201.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6206.JPG IMG_6207.JPG IMG_6209.JPG IMG_6210.JPG IMG_6211.JPG

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
OMG, it's beautiful and you are SO smart! Put me on your list to go shopping.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums! Maybe we need a Pricescope Pawn Shop Crawl GTG? That would be fun!

RSZ

Rough_Rock
So pretty!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @RSZ!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW you did so well!! Congrats!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some pics in the car today :kiss2:
IMG_6251.JPG IMG_6256.JPG IMG_6257.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg you guys will not believe what just happened today.

We were out shopping today about an hour from home and grabbed lunch then headed home. About half an hour into the drive home I looked down at my hand and my rose cut was gone, GONE :cry2: I said it's gone and I'm probably never getting it back. Nobody could remember if I had it on at lunch. I didn't dare call the restaurant and I was really hoping I lost it there and not Goodwill!!!!

We drive back to the restaurant and I am just praying it's there. I remembered that my son had spilled soup on his shirt and the ladies room was closed for cleaning so I had used the men's room to help him clean it off. I head straight for the bathrooms when we got there, the kids are looking in the grass outside. I get in there and take the top off the garbage and start going through the paper towels, about ten in I'm thinking I might have to go to the bottom and what could possibly be in there :sick: Then I look and there she is, I FOUND HER! So happy, so so happy and thankful and so she will not be a pinky ring after all as she is going to the jewelers tomorrow for a resize.

The worst feeling is losing a piece of jewelry but one of the best has to be finding a piece you thought was gone forever.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We were out shopping today about an hour from home and grabbed lunch then headed home. About half an hour into the drive home I looked down at my hand and my rose cut was gone, GONE :cry2: I said it's gone and I'm probably never getting it back. Nobody could remember if I had it on at lunch. I didn't dare call the restaurant and I was really hoping I lost it there and not Goodwill!!!!

We drive back to the restaurant and I am just praying it's there. I remembered that my son had spilled soup on his shirt and the ladies room was closed for cleaning so I had used the men's room to help him clean it off. I head straight for the bathrooms when we got there, the kids are looking in the grass outside. I get in there and take the top off the garbage and start going through the paper towels, about ten in I'm thinking I might have to go to the bottom and what could possibly be in there :sick: Then I look and there she is, I FOUND HER! So happy, so so happy and thankful and so she will not be a pinky ring after all as she is going to the jewelers tomorrow for a resize.

The worst feeling is losing a piece of jewelry but one of the best has to be finding a piece you thought was gone forever.
OMG--no way! You sure got lucky! So glad you found it!
Pinky rings are weird. They don't feel right, and they don't fit right. They are more prone to damage because they are so exposed.
I tried wearing pinky rings, and just gave up on them.
I had one fly off my hand more than once. Like sailing through the air and onto the floor!
When I was pregnant, I was wearing my e-ring on my pinky. We went out to dinner, and on the way home, I discovered it was gone. Found it under the car seat. No more pinky rings!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No more pinky rings is right! Thank God you found your engagement ring. I took that ring right to the jeweler when we got home, resize and fix that prong on the end that is very thin, should have it back Monday!

I really thought that was going to be the end, and what made it even worse is I knew I would probably not find another rosie in my travels but someone was watching out for me today!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m so glad you found her!
Whew!!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
great find!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my gosh I was on the edge of my seat! What a heart stopping experience! That sounds like a very unpleasant period of time but it sounds like you kept your head, phew! So glad you found it! Which finger are you upsizing it to?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really was @Lykame, luckily my husband kept his wits about him because I was so upset I could drive. I'm having it resized to my ring finger on my left hand as it is a 5 1/2 going to a 7 1/2 and I didn't want to size it anymore than necessary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results