shape
carat
color
clarity

My Summer Rose, Rose cut Diamond Pawn Shop Find

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full disclosure, after sharing my bow tie ring I did not expect to start another thread in SMTB but you guys have to see this.

If you like a story here it is. Yesterday I decided to go pawn shopping in a city a few towns away. This girl was at my second stop, a really small place in not the best part of town. Anyways I spot her and was smitten, the guy immediately says "it's a small size" yeah buddy I know I got big fingers but just humor me lol! Put her on and she is glorious but dirty, they want $500 but have no stats on size or any information about the diamond at all. So I ask what's the best you can do...$450. I didn't have any cash on me so I knew it wasn't coming home with me plus it could be paste, it is so dirty I can't tell heads from tales, also this is the first rosie I have ever seen. Now I also asked about some video games for my son and that will be important later. So I left.

I get home and start looking online and think I have to go back and get it BUT they were closing soon and I knew I couldn't get back there. Normally I could just be relaxed and know I could go back the next day but DH and the kids took the car for the day and now I have no ride back there. Then it hit me, Uber to the pawn shop! Yup I got an Uber to the pawn shop because I am freaking crazy.

Get in the Uber (BMW) and the driver is an antiques dealer! Super nice guy he is giving me all these tips on getting this ring for a deal, talked so much he missed the exit! He drops me off and the shop isn't open, supposed to open at 10 but the guy isn't there, his father is there, he tells me there is an accident on the highway and he will be late, we talk and he offers to buy me a coffee, says I can come back later (he didn't know I took an Uber lol!) so I wait for an hour. Finally the guy pulls up, time to make a deal.

I had already told the father I came back for the game for my son so when the son was unlocking the store I said "yeah my son was like Mom, you have to go back and get that game". Go in get the game and then ask about the ring, he gets is for me and she is more beautiful today than yesterday. Funny thing I couldn't remember if she was foiled or not but no there she was in all her unfoiled antique beauty. I ask him to test the diamond in front of me, no problem and it is real. Okay, what is the best you can do( I am aiming for 20% off)?$425. Well, I'm going to have to have it resized....how about $350? He comes back with......$375!!!!!!!!!

DEAL!

Get an Uber home and cleaned her up, she is so beautiful, so clear, then I get out the calipers, 6mm long by 5mm wide! She is a pinky ring for now and the prongs will need a little work but she is my summer rose and I love her to bits. The setting is 14k.

Pictures because you deserve them for reading that novel!

IMG_6198.JPG IMG_6199.JPG IMG_6200.JPG IMG_6201.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6206.JPG IMG_6207.JPG IMG_6209.JPG IMG_6210.JPG IMG_6211.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more shots and some fire flash!

IMG_6213.JPG IMG_6214.JPG IMG_6215.JPG IMG_6220.JPG IMG_6221.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6211.JPG
    IMG_6211.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6212.JPG
    IMG_6212.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6215.JPG
    IMG_6215.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 31

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hypermom a lot of it is just luck, being in the right place at the right time but thank you for your sweet compliment!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a cool find, and a bargain! :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie you really do, there are some amazing things to be found but it can take a little time and patience. I actually found my first OEC in a Stuller setting in a pawn shop so the stuff is out there just waiting to be found.

@Alex T, you let me know when you come to the U.S. and we will do some pawn shopping!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What an awesome story! Love that the Uber driver was an antiques dealer who could offer tips, it was meant to be!

Those pictures are wonderful! Is there a video by chance?

Did your son get his games? :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame it was just the funniest thing the driver was an antique guy and this was my first solo Uber ride, my son was so worried about me he was encouraging me to take a taxi because he thought I would be safer!

Also ironic when I mentioned needing the ring to be resized he mentioned a jeweler I used before in my town, she is a relative of the pawn shop owner! Small world, it was just all very surreal and yes I did end up getting him the game plus another one so he will be thrilled!

I don't have a video at the moment, DH has a better camera on his phone so maybe I will play with that over the weekend. It is shimmery, kind of a soft watery look, very serene.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Austina and happy find day to you and Bella!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great find! I love the ring and the story.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find @StephanieLynn ! You committed highway robbery!:o (good for you!)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
What a great story and a super cute ring! Congrats on your find!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone - always love this type of setting!
Great find:love:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bravo !!! Well done. You rescued that Rosie!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gorgeous :appl: you find the best stuff!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well played, madam!
So how big do you think it is?
I used this handy dandy online carat weight estimator.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/caratwtcalc.html
I estimated your stone was 2mm deep. Maybe that's off, but you can plug in the dimensions and see for yourself. I called it cab shaped, because of the flat bottom of the rose cut.
6x5x2=.57!!! You go girl! I'm so excited for you!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great find, and such a cute ring!! It is so satisfying to not only find something incredible like this, but to get a fabulous deal too!!:appl:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty stone and ring! You find the nicest things. Good job!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Rfisher, I'm hoping the prongs can just be rebuilt so I can keep her in this setting.

@kipari that's kind of how I get away with pawn shop purchases, I tell DH we are the vintage rescue squad lol!

Thanks for the compliment @foxinsox :P2

Did I make you proud with this deal @stracci2000? I'm getting better at haggling. I get a depth reading of about 3.6mm from bottom to tip of facet so .68 I think with that calculator but it's hard to know if I'm getting that depth exactly right. More than a half carat, don't need a magnifying glass to see it so that works for me!

Thanks so much @sarahb, even all grungy in the shop she had so much charm, would love to know her story.

Thanks @Slick1!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great story! Super job, so thrilled for you! -C4C

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did I make you proud with this deal @stracci2000? I'm getting better at haggling. I get a depth reading of about 3.6mm from bottom to tip of facet so .68 I think with that calculator but it's hard to know if I'm getting that depth exactly right. More than a half carat, don't need a magnifying glass to see it so that works for me!
You did better than I could've! I'm impressed with your tenacity, Uber ride and all! When you're a jewelry addict, you'll stop at nothing to get your fix!!!!:lol::lol::lol:
I love that calculator, I use it all the time. It is surprisingly accurate.
Of course, when you get the prongs worked on, they can weigh the stone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I think that saying "where there's a will, there's a way" comes from a jewelry addict!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is beautiful and such a story.
All the best pieces have a fabulous story :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results