shape
carat
color
clarity

My Sparkle Sparkle!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
1. HDTV - High Definition TV
2. EDTV - Enhanced Digital TV
3. DLP - Digital Light Processing (a type of projection technology)
4. LCD - Liquid Crystal Display, TVs and computer monitors
5. CRT - Cathode Ray Tube, its your regular old television, computer monitors
6. Plasma – Yes, its in your blood, but its also a type of TV

7. Flat and why it is good depends on what you are describing. Flat screen is just that. There is no bow to it when it gets to the edges (CRTs do this) so the picture is not distorted—that’s a good thing. Flat panel refers to the entire TV being a flat unit. A plasma TV is the best example of this, they are usually hung on a wall like a picture they are so thin—this being a good thing is a personal opinion, I think it’s a little too Jetson-y.

8. A TV is just a TV, but these other systems are capable of displaying at a higher resolution which produces a better picture (clearer, more details, better color). Heres a real world example: Have you ever printed something off of your computer and it was really blurry, but it looks great on the screen? That’s a difference of resolution (screen is 72 Dot Per Inch, print is 300 dpi). The bigger something is, the more information/color/dots you want filling up that space, the higher the resolution your TV will accept, the better the picture will look.

Widescreen is another good term to know. It refers to the screen ratio and how much of the picture fills up the screen. Widescreen is like the large screens at the movies and so is more rectangular than square. Ever watch a movie in widescreen mode and get those black bars on the top and bottom? What you actually watch ends up being smaller than what your screen is capable of displaying, but you see more of the scene. With a widescreen TV, the whole thing is filled up, no need for the black bars.

This link has a GREAT over view of TV technology. And this one explains widescreen better.

Date: 12/17/2004 2:52:55 PM
Author: njc

1. HDTV - High Definition TV
2. EDTV - Enhanced Digital TV
3. DLP - Digital Light Processing (a type of projection technology)
4. LCD - Liquid Crystal Display, TVs and computer monitors
5. CRT - Cathode Ray Tube, its your regular old television, computer monitors
6. Plasma – Yes, its in your blood, but its also a type of TV

7. Flat and why it is good depends on what you are describing. Flat screen is just that. There is no bow to it when it gets to the edges (CRTs do this) so the picture is not distorted—that’s a good thing. Flat panel refers to the entire TV being a flat unit. A plasma TV is the best example of this, they are usually hung on a wall like a picture they are so thin—this being a good thing is a personal opinion, I think it’s a little too Jetson-y.

8. A TV is just a TV, but these other systems are capable of displaying at a higher resolution which produces a better picture (clearer, more details, better color). Heres a real world example: Have you ever printed something off of your computer and it was really blurry, but it looks great on the screen? That’s a difference of resolution (screen is 72 Dot Per Inch, print is 300 dpi). The bigger something is, the more information/color/dots you want filling up that space, the higher the resolution your TV will accept, the better the picture will look.

Widescreen is another good term to know. It refers to the screen ratio and how much of the picture fills up the screen. Widescreen is like the large screens at the movies and so is more rectangular than square. Ever watch a movie in widescreen mode and get those black bars on the top and bottom? What you actually watch ends up being smaller than what your screen is capable of displaying, but you see more of the scene. With a widescreen TV, the whole thing is filled up, no need for the black bars.

This link has a GREAT over view of TV technology. And this one explains widescreen better.

"Any plasma worth owning will set you back at least $5,000 retail—a really good one will cost you double that."
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
for a tv??? that is criminal!!! lol

njc

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on size and what technology (DLP, LCD, Plasma) you get. Plasmas are the big money. They also have a life span of about 8 years and then you HAVE to buy a new one, theres nothing to replace or fix. DLP and LCD are kinda the same price-wise. And there is a new technology that is just starting to come out called LCoS (Liquid Crystal over Silicon) that is supposed to be cheaper. Our TV was $2800 on sale, not cheap, but i dont plan on buying another one for a rather long time (10+ years).

Edited to add: You changed what your wrote! LOL. Yes, that is why i say plasma is a waste of money. Its the best picture, but SOOOO much money. Its the TV for the person that has $20,000 lying around and doesnt know what to do with it and doesnt care that it will dead in 8 years.

lol, yeah, I posted before I checked out the links, sorry, lol

plasma is a waste of money. Its the best picture, but SOOOO much money. Its the TV for the person that has $20,000 lying around and doesnt know what to do with it and doesnt care that it will dead in 8 years.
who has $20,000 "lying around"??? do you know anyone? if you do please tell them to forget the tv and that they can donate to my e-ring fund!!!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Trust me, if i knew who that person was, id be their best friend!
9.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
We have a 57" HDTV. When my husband first bought it..I was sort of annoyed b/c I didn''t think it was "necessary" (since he also had to buy a surround-sound system, a new DVD player (some sort that you HAD to have) and all other gidgets and gadgets that go with it)

However, I had to withdraw all my *nasty* comments about *his* TV because I LOVE IT!!!! In my book, yes in tv''s BIGGER is BETTER!!! unlike my jeans
7.gif

although I would never let my gf spend $5000 on me -certainly not on a tv! - if she really wanted to, I think I could be persuaded to let her get me this as a gentleman''s engagement ring! $4708 on WF, it says it is a wedding band, but I think it would be a good male e-ring

someone posted it in another thread, and the more I see it, the more I like it. but I''d never let her spend that on me!

nice e ring for gent.jpg

Date: 12/17/2004 7:11:50 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
We have a 57'' HDTV. When my husband first bought it..I was sort of annoyed b/c I didn''t think it was ''necessary'' (since he also had to buy a surround-sound system, a new DVD player (some sort that you HAD to have) and all other gidgets and gadgets that go with it)

However, I had to withdraw all my *nasty* comments about *his* TV because I LOVE IT!!!! In my book, yes in tv''s BIGGER is BETTER!!! unlike my jeans
7.gif
57 inches??? that is 4 and 3/4 foot!!! that is huge!!! lol, 57 inches is nearly twice that size of my waist!!!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
DG:

I like that gentleman''s engagement ring you posted. I think it would make a nice wedding band for you!!

As for the TV! Yes!! It is VERY big....being in the military we move a lot and not all living rooms are made equal..so sometimes, the tv can be a pain..however, I do love it. I don''t have cable right now though? Had to finish thesis, so I had to cancel the cable LOL! so I haven''t watched much of the tv in a long while!!!

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
beatiful story NJC! Who knew xmas lites had multiple purposes. lol! and super awesome gift u gave ur FI. I got my bf a pioneer elite 50". that was last mar.. the den is still under construction. I have to say, for a long time i felt like a tv is just a tv... boy o boy was i wrong. Now I''m a home theatre fan!

I''m still giggling at the xmas lites... lyour own firescope! lol it''s a really beautiful ring.
21.gif

it is a very nice ring, but I just couldn''t let her spend $4708 on me!

we will have to save for the wedding, and - we hope - babies soon after
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE your ring. Diamond is gorgeous and the setting is extremely beautiful. Congratulations!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure I commented before--briefly in the ladies in waiting thread--but what a gorgeous ring. The engraving is so special and sets off the whiteness and brilliance of the stone!! WOW!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Had to bump it.... am just loving this ring!!
30.gif

Congrats again, girl!!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That is such a BEAUTIFUL ring! and that TV''s not bad either...
2.gif
I don''t know which one I like more!!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

You are no longer "in waiting"
9.gif
9.gif
!!!! Your ring is soooooooooooooo pretty!!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you again everyone.

Too funny that you bumped this up GG!

So i got to go home over Christmas and show off to all of my family and friends. I got together with one group of friends (all either engaged or married, some with babies!) and we all started trading our rings around and trying them all on and making up combinations. Those of us with solitaires all have different shapes so it was fun, but i have to say mine is still my favorite!!!

Ive been hoping to take some pics out in the sun, but its either been crappy weather or i didnt have my camera!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2004 10:474 AM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

I like that gentleman''s engagement ring you posted. I think it would make a nice wedding band for you!!
I''m totally out of the loop here... Aren''t just girls getting e-rings ?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results