shape
carat
color
clarity

My search for a "flaming red" CS

voce

Ideal_Rock
HaP9Mb6Hjd5Bt7Ta5MCebGJ3y-Ep9hZx_SLsoEoxy4i_pegGHBOVIuktq5IYjvlBZ_DRjlBA2Wcf4ddOEE8xn68GZ8vYdDF-2df3rDGNU7EYwJyp4bLs4wW0i31nI3UL3KGY5gx0_8T1Drl3EPd9X0mSp0uvCWNp1dL4RrCwq8x9FfurH6_82ql7gj8ErF-AYAU6MHcWRE5-RWVsCItXWwmhelARWg9ACNYTSPfoXQX6rJPQEocydBqBCRZ3EU7tSgMSVPjR6qDrgFl5k9sStigkEiMkbLx_NTWlh0mxmt4Qh6YkzjjHNxEjWGIx-KkHl6Ys7rULM9bmvrrriKHGanbj5Jrp6H7lukKPJ5vDko7UYcMcibdaULpatofflZcSZq3tgRbjUcTQlmK8d-zsok11UjleA3Djme5t9LRqtZk7OuU1UkVLa5jGnXBSQOg9VzzJrMi8vq4tRqk-pV-VVg7_-4XcxYLcKYySP9ZKK74amR5Ct_RnsEor3X5XUoylfalT5KSc6BYdfQQ9r3XruAmI7vb_qQDSAhsVc1BnsR8Rk54eiha4BfWB9Lbc_rbFFojgKXz1bxWG4FZfS-kfcGc6R0whyNMoVgee_XzATmVD20vI8D3g2L0usDT5PQI7=w1178-h883-no

@lovedogs maybe something a little like this? Have you thought about the construction issues with corners sticking out? You'll need outside prongs to protect the corners of the pear/marquise gems, and the octagonal bezel around the ring to dip under the gem to accommodate it.

Another concern I have is that while fatter corner gems might look more proportionally pleasing, to my eyes at least, covering up more of the diagonal bezel sides would obscure the octagon shape and make it look more like a square again. How important is it for you to maintain an octagon shape, and how important is it to have corners poking out from octagon?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce you are awesome! Good point about the points sticking out. Probably better to leave them protected. Like in your first set of sketches!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs glad to be helpful. You're pretty daring, using a round shaped ring inspiration for a square gem and octagonal design! You had a pretty interesting idea to begin with; I just wanted to make sure you think about things like construction and how the corners are set.

I would like to see your red spinel again, so anything I can do to help you decide how to set it would be a pleasure. :P2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs glad to be helpful. You're pretty daring, using a round shaped ring inspiration for a square gem and octagonal design! You had a pretty interesting idea to begin with; I just wanted to make sure you think about things like construction and how the corners are set.

I would like to see your red spinel again, so anything I can do to help you decide how to set it would be a pleasure. :P2

@voce I think you have a future as a jewelry designer! I emailed Kyo about my ideas after hearing good things from @2Neezers, and he came back with this as a rough idea of how to best execute what I wanted. He also suggested pears instead of marquise stones, so the round inside the pear shape is just for reference. s-l1600.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce I think you have a future as a jewelry designer! I emailed Kyo about my ideas after hearing good things from @2Neezers, and he came back with this as a rough idea of how to best execute what I wanted. He also suggested pears instead of marquise stones, so the round inside the pear shape is just for reference. s-l1600.jpg
Thanks @lovedogs I would love to do jewelry design as a hobby, but I feel like I'd have to learn CAD first! I really like the proportions of what Kyo sent you, and I guess this means that you're setting your red spinel first, and the lab cobalt spinel later?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @lovedogs I would love to do jewelry design as a hobby, but I feel like I'd have to learn CAD first! I really like the proportions of what Kyo sent you, and I guess this means that you're setting your red spinel first, and the lab cobalt spinel later?

Yup, I think I'll end up setting the red first, but see my reply on the other thread. Setting the blue is just a quick replacement (hopefully!) in an existing setting.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks like a very pretty design! I have never gone full custom with him and am now thinking I should next time =)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so after lots of back and forth with Kyo about the size of the final piece, design issues, etc, I decided to use a slightly different design. The one I drew (with the CAD above) would have ended up really small which I didn't want. But Kyo is awesome and I showed him other pieces I like to help come up with something better.

Here's what he did came up with. I LOVE IT (I know it might be too busy for some people, but it's totally "me"). My question now is what color gold to use (and if anyone sees huge red flags in the design).

Yellow vs. white gold? I also asked him to show me in rose gold just in case that looks better. I'm usually a white gold person, but I think in this case the red looks better with yellow. But on the other hand, maybe it would "pop" more against white?

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for yellow gold with the color of that stone! Looks very lovely. Looking forward to the pics of it!

Thanks! That was my instinct as well, but obviously it's hard to tell from images. Here's the RG version as well. @Bluegemz do you have a reference between YG and RG? s-l1600-3.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! That was my instinct as well, but obviously it's hard to tell from images. Here's the RG version as well. @Bluegemz do you have a reference between YG and RG? s-l1600-3.jpg
If it were my choice, I’d go with yellow gold. It’s a very classic look, warm and buttery and perhaps easier to match with other yellow gold pieces. ( unless you have other rose gold pieces...)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow or white is my vote. I find RG a bit iffy with certain shades.

RG is surprisingly good with completely different colours like green but can be weird with certain reds and pinks even though you'd think it would compliment better.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to be dense, but who is Kyo?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I also vote yellow gold unless you want to showcase the diamonds more. I think you already know better than to use D/E/F diamonds with yellow gold. Going with yellow gold will allow you to save some money, too, by going with lower color grading diamonds.

Any ETA on when this project will be finished? :mrgreen2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so after lots of back and forth with Kyo about the size of the final piece, design issues, etc, I decided to use a slightly different design. The one I drew (with the CAD above) would have ended up really small which I didn't want. But Kyo is awesome and I showed him other pieces I like to help come up with something better.

Here's what he did came up with. I LOVE IT (I know it might be too busy for some people, but it's totally "me"). My question now is what color gold to use (and if anyone sees huge red flags in the design).

Yellow vs. white gold? I also asked him to show me in rose gold just in case that looks better. I'm usually a white gold person, but I think in this case the red looks better with yellow. But on the other hand, maybe it would "pop" more against white?

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Oh yellow gold all the way! I feel like you can’t go wrong in white or yellow but I worry that the rose gold would draw on any pink tones from the stone, which is obviously not what you want.

The new design is gorgeous and I love the marquis halo. :love: But better then that is the convertible head!!! I predict we’ll start seeing these babies all over PS soon. Question on the pendant. Does the chain holder part clip somewhere when you wear it as a ring or does it just dangle?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yellow gold all the way! I feel like you can’t go wrong in white or yellow but I worry that the rose gold would draw on any pink tones from the stone, which is obviously not what you want.

The new design is gorgeous and I love the marquis halo. :love: But better then that is the convertible head!!! I predict we’ll start seeing these babies all over PS soon. Question on the pendant. Does the chain holder part clip somewhere when you wear it as a ring or does it just dangle?

The chain holder part tucks into the bottom of it when worn as a ring. I think the last pic (bottom right) shows it.

Thanks for the enthusiasm--I'm also so excited!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like the consensus is YG. That's my instinct as well, but I do worry that the red might "pop" more against WG, which makes me second guess. I asked Kyo, and here's what he said:

"In my opinion, yellow gold should work good. But I will prefer white gold more. Because the center red spinel will look more outstanding and charming. Just like you said. Also diamonds look more sparkling with white gold."

arg, decisions!

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I love your setting, its going to be gorgeous!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the new design! The layers of diamonds in the halo look beautiful :love:. I always wear white gold, so I would go with that for myself, but I love the richness and warmth of the yellow gold pieces on PS. I think you couldn't go wrong either way, but they will be very different looks. It would be a tough decision! I might think about when I would wear the piece most and with what other metal colors to help decide.
The convertible pendant to ring idea is very cool! I am curious, how does the pendant securely lock on to the ring?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m changing my mind and going over to white gold instead. I pulled up Pinterest for a few minutes to see how red looks in white vs gold. Both great btw, but I just prefer white. What color do you usually go for? The color you pick the most frequently?

If you still can’t decide, you could do a mixed metal ring like @renwea
I’m thinking yellow gold prongs, white halo, yellow gold shank. :D

Here’s a couple of the color variations I found on Pinterest, in case it helps.

White:
5BDB6662-667A-4AAC-9E90-E7C1E6540603.jpeg 98763CED-B18A-4148-BB75-AF3659F63F4C.jpeg

Yellow:
D697751D-10A6-4154-8203-8F5F799D13C6.jpeg 04013D12-7505-42A4-A925-FB1E22DF153E.jpeg

Mixed:
5E8A35EE-6891-4D9B-A329-0D3E9235A081.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 I did the same thing but with a google search, and am now really thinking white is the way to go. I agree with Kyo that white will make the stone "pop" the most, and I want the center stone to be the "star" of the piece. Thanks for the helpful pics! I would consider 2-tone, but I don't want the design to get too busy, since it's already pretty detailed, and I'm going to ask him to "milgrain the sh*t out of it", because milgrain is my favorite.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AHHHHH IT'S READY!!! Looks great in pics (hoping that these pics are showing off the setting more than stone, bc the stone itself looks less bright than I hoped here). But overall the workmanship is amazing and I'm excited to see it IRL! s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
I just love the design you came up with. Do you have a chain in mind? I'd love to see it.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So beautiful :love:!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love the design you came up with. Do you have a chain in mind? I'd love to see it.

No idea yet. I'll see how hesvy it is when it arrives and then figure out what thickness of chain I want :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
AHHHHH IT'S READY!!! Looks great in pics (hoping that these pics are showing off the setting more than stone, bc the stone itself looks less bright than I hoped here). But overall the workmanship is amazing and I'm excited to see it IRL! s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

Oh my gosh that is really beautiful! I have previously imagined combined ring and necklace jewellery, I didn't know they actually exist!

When do you receive it?

I am so intensely curious as to not only how the hook gets clicked away but more importantly how the ring head and shank click together in a manner that is secure and repeatable!

Tell me thy magic! And then post so many pictures!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll let you know! I'm not sure when I'll get it. They are shipping DHL tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it comes quick!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!!! It's halo-tastic! :lickout:
I can't wait to see your pics and I really can't wait to hear your thoughts on a convertible ring / pendant.

ETA: How was that done so freaking quickly???

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG IT'S GORGEOUS!!!!! And you used such BIG diamonds! I love big diamonds! In my perfect world all CS is set with big diamonds!

Don't worry about the colour. I think those shots were designed to focus in the setting rather than your stone! The colour is still a lovely true red anyway!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results