shape
carat
color
clarity

My search for a "flaming red" CS

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The quote feature is not working for me.

lovedogs, the color on the stone you chose is STUNNING. :love::love::love: I can't wait to see how you set it! It is my dream,too, to own a beautiful ruby or red spinel one day. I have had the same debate. I have large fingers so I would prefer a larger stone, and I have wondered if I should just settle or hold out for my dream stone.

Would you mind sharing the seller's info for the first stone, since you are not buying it?

Bron357, is the stone you posted the picture of in post #12 for sale on Loupe Troop? I couldn't find it.

Edit - I did find the two on Gem Rock Auctions.com. Is it strange that their listing dates are from 2014?

Last edited:

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, lovedogs! :dance:The color looks so different in the Etsy pictures. I will contact the seller to ask the dimensions.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lovedogs, sorry to bug you again, but the glow of the stone you chose is just so AMAZING! Do you happen to know if that seller has any other similar colored stones?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, lovedogs! :dance:The color looks so different in the Etsy pictures. I will contact the seller to ask the dimensions.
Yeah, that's why I contacted on whatspp for videos. She was super nice, sent videos of a few choices.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs, sorry to bug you again, but the glow of the stone you chose is just so AMAZING! Do you happen to know if that seller has any other similar colored stones?
Yeah I think they do! They are: higems on Instagram. I Dm'd for info.

@mellowyellowgirl yup I got it. Seller gave me 2 months to pay, which means I can do it more comfortably :) so excitedddddd

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I think they do! They are: higems on Instagram. I Dm'd for info.

@mellowyellowgirl yup I got it. Seller gave me 2 months to pay, which means I can do it more comfortably :) so excitedddddd
Excellent news, trust me you won’t be sorry. There’s nothing worse than “missing out” and then searching fruitlessly for another.
I know this, sad face.
Those amazing Jedi spinels aren’t common so if you see a great one you need to snap it up fast.
Don’t forget to share, in due course, your setting plans.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quote feature is not working for me.

lovedogs, the color on the stone you chose is STUNNING. :love::love::love: I can't wait to see how you set it! It is my dream,too, to own a beautiful ruby or red spinel one day. I have had the same debate. I have large fingers so I would prefer a larger stone, and I have wondered if I should just settle or hold out for my dream stone.

Would you mind sharing the seller's info for the first stone, since you are not buying it?

Bron357, is the stone you posted the picture of in post #12 for sale on Loupe Troop? I couldn't find it.

Edit - I did find the two on Gem Rock Auctions.com. Is it strange that their listing dates are from 2014?
The photo I posted is my own little Burmese ruby. Wee but a fabulous colour. When I get around to listing it on Loupe Troop I’ll post here on Pricescope.
The one on Loupe Troop is someone else’s, it’s bigger at 1.8 carats but it’s a pink/ purple ruby. She’s only asking $999 which seems a good price. It’s on page 3 I think under loose gems.
With gemrockauctions.com it looks like the listing just stays on there until sold. There is positive feedback from June so they still do business. I think like lots of vendors these days they put up their listings everywhere they can to generate sales. I had a watch I sold listed on eBay over 12 months ago and it suddenly sold. Quite funny, because then I had to find the darn thing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 @Burmesedaze and others: I'm still worrying that I overpaid for my stone, although obviously I paid a deposit that I won't be able to get back. Found this one from a Thai seller on FB, that is $600 less than mine for .10 larger. What do you guys think?

Here's the FB one from the thai seller:

37627975_1848746658516829_1158781661064724480_n.jpg 37631623_1848746401850188_38850354309234688_n.jpg 37633075_1848746621850166_6905911424573243392_n.jpg 37635874_1848746561850172_7955480944998088704_n.jpg 37646154_1848746678516827_6595865891617898496_n.jpg

And here's the one I got:

I should get more pics of this one, but do you guys feel like this is worth the extra $ for .10 smaller size (obviously it's not a big size difference, so mostly the cost is what I'm wondering about).

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.03.38 AM.png

Attachments

• 37734274_1848746451850183_8611240442991738880_n.jpg
    37734274_1848746451850183_8611240442991738880_n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you be able to apply the lost deposit to something else with the first seller? And, if so, would your budget allow you to buy something else from the first seller along with the second stone? If yes to both questions, and if you'd be happier with the second one, then I say go for it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake not sure if I could apply the deposit to anything else--good question! I would probably use the savings towards setting the stone. I think the problem is that I'm not sure which stone is "best" and if the less expensive one is somehow inferior (in which case I can suck up the cost haha), or if I'm being overcharged (which is something I try to avoid always, since the idea of "wasting" money drives me insane).

Granted my DH would argue that spending money on CS/bling is "wasted" anyway :lol::lol:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you have their face up size? Ct weight might not be that important.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have their face up size? Ct weight might not be that important.

The FB one is 5.9 x 5.83 x 4.6 MM

The one I have a deposit on is: 5.1 x 5.9 x 4.7MM

Not sure I'll even notice .7 of a MM in terms of size--but maybe I would.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know which Fb seller that is. Well if you compare them side by side you might. The slightly larger one has silk according to the seller.

What about the one you placed a deposit on?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know which Fb seller that is. Well if you compare them side by side you might. The slightly larger one has silk according to the seller.

What about the one you placed a deposit on?

I just wanted to get your (and others') "expert" eyes on the FB one to make sure I'm not being stupid by paying the remainder of the one I put a deposit on (the last picture shows that one). I guess my fear is that they are equally good in terms of color/intensity of red/"glow", and that I'm paying an extra $600 for no reason.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any more pics of the one you paid a deposit on?

It looks great but that's only one pic.

The second one looks less glowy to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any more pics of the one you paid a deposit on?

It looks great but that's only one pic.

The second one looks less glowy to me.

Good question--I asked the seller for more pics so hopefully I'll be able to update soon. They are in a very different time zone, so usually sleeping when I'm awake haha. But if/when I get more I'll post!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The pictures are so different it’s hard to compare. Yours looks more vibrant to me. I wouldn’t second guess yourself too much. Maybe the extra pictures will help you.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you get pictures of both stones in the shade and indoors? Right at the moment I can tell your favourite stone has strong fluorescence which is great. But it is not going to be 'on' 100% of the time -- actually not unless light of the right part of the uv spectrum hits it. I guess I'd want to know: what colour is it when the fluoreacence isnt the dominent effect?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Admittedly, I saw the one on FB and considered it (except for the vendor being in Thailand and telling myself that I was on a spending freeze lol). Adding to what qubitasaurus said, red spinels to be the hardest to shop for as you really need to see how one looks in all lights. So best to buy from vendors with a good return policy. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let's wait for more pics.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I could offer advice but I am such a novice! Was there a return policy with the stone you bought? If so, and if returns aren't too difficult, I would probably wait and see the one you ordered in person. It looks like such a great color.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissyBeaucoup @kindred @Burmesedaze @qubitasaurus @mellowyellowgirl (and anyone else I missed!) thanks for being understanding during my self-doubt attack. I tend to do that--and as I said before this is more than 2x more expensive than any stone I've purchased previously. This is almost as much as my most expensive ring (including all the stones), so I think part of it is just doubt that I didn't get "screwed over". But the bright side is that I'm officially done doubting. The vendor sent a video of the stone indoors and it's amazing and glowy and everything I wanted. Much more of the "fire/glow" that I love than the less expensive one. Now I need to finish paying for it and dream of settings. My ultimate goal is a ring/pendent convertible, but we will see what happens.

Video as thanks for putting up with my doubt!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, WOW!!! :lickout: That looks amazingly glowy!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just breathtakingly beautiful!!!

Sometimes you just gotta treat the heart to what it wants hun! Other times you can persuade the heart to be a bit more frugal in it's tastes :lol:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@MissyBeaucoup @kindred @Burmesedaze @qubitasaurus @mellowyellowgirl (and anyone else I missed!) thanks for being understanding during my self-doubt attack. I tend to do that--and as I said before this is more than 2x more expensive than any stone I've purchased previously. This is almost as much as my most expensive ring (including all the stones), so I think part of it is just doubt that I didn't get "screwed over". But the bright side is that I'm officially done doubting. The vendor sent a video of the stone indoors and it's amazing and glowy and everything I wanted. Much more of the "fire/glow" that I love than the less expensive one. Now I need to finish paying for it and dream of settings. My ultimate goal is a ring/pendent convertible, but we will see what happens.

Wow, it really takes the breath away! For a ruby like that, I think a convertible ring/pendant will give you a lot of mileage so I love that idea.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Wow, what a flame red Jedi spinel!

I think you did well at the price, and there's no way any stone could glow brighter than yours after seeing that video. Glad you're able to overcome the self-doubt, I think you're buying a one-of-a-kind spinel that's not even in the same class as ones that don't fluoresce.

I'm so envious you found such an awesome spinel! I was so tempted to get a red spinel, following this thread and beautiful examples of spinels, but I have to console myself that I'm holding out for a Brazilian paraiba. :cry2: I also have more than one untreated ruby, but none that fluoresces as wildly as your spinel.

Seriously, though, I can't wait to see how you set your spinel! When will you get it in hand?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any chance of getting some close up macro photos too? Just to check for eye visable inclusions -- being a spinel I really dont think some inclusions are a problem (actually they can be super pretty and add to the glow, like some of the ones here). But I dont like surprises, so it usually quells my anxiety to have all the details in advance, lol besides I find looking at the pretty pics fun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results