shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My recut/reset heirloom Aquamarine.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Ellen, what a masterpiece! I love, love, LOVE the color of your stone. And in a Leon, to boot! Wear and enjoy in good health.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen, All I can say is this is one of the most gorgeous aquamarines I have EVER SEEN!

It is breathtaking! And the cut....WOW!

I''m so happy everything worked out and you decided to go thru with the recut.

Wear it with absolute JOY!

Kelly

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Ellen, it is simply gorgeous. So fluid!!! Congrats!!!
Hmmm, I already knew a colored stone would be in my future somewhere down the line, but I thought it would be a cushion. Now you''ve got me loving step cuts. Hmmm, , guess it will be one of each!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 8:32:42 PM
Author: Ellen
Last one.

At this point . . . you''re just showing off, aren''t you?
9.gif
25.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dogmom, Pushin, turtle, thank you all, I really appreciate your comments! I will wear it with joy indeed.
2.gif

Miss Holly
, I am not showing off. Miranda ask me to post pitures for her, so there.
stickouttongue.gif

BlackIsland

Shiny_Rock
I saw this post several days ago, and have been coming back to it everyday - I cannot seem to tear my eyes off it. It was a very beautiful stone to begin with, but since you took the plunge and handed it over for recutting it has become a STUNNING stone! The fluidity of the stone and the setting together really does take my breath away. That is why I didn't post right away. I had to let it sink in. I don't have any stones like that that I could have recut but just the look of that ring makes me want to start my search for such a stone to have set in a ring like that.

Wow is all I can say!

Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure a lot of us sit back with jewellery that we have been given over the years, afraid to make the changes - perhaps we think that changing the setting or the stone will cause the giver to fade from our memory - far from it! I am sure your Grandmother is smiling - everytime you wear this ring and catch a glance of how beautiful it is you will think of her! Far better than having it gather dust in the jewellery box!

BI

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 4:56:36 PM
Author: BlackIsland
I saw this post several days ago, and have been coming back to it everyday - I cannot seem to tear my eyes off it. It was a very beautiful stone to begin with, but since you took the plunge and handed it over for recutting it has become a STUNNING stone! The fluidity of the stone and the setting together really does take my breath away. That is why I didn''t post right away. I had to let it sink in. I don''t have any stones like that that I could have recut but just the look of that ring makes me want to start my search for such a stone to have set in a ring like that.

Wow is all I can say!

Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure a lot of us sit back with jewellery that we have been given over the years, afraid to make the changes - perhaps we think that changing the setting or the stone will cause the giver to fade from our memory - far from it! I am sure your Grandmother is smiling - everytime you wear this ring and catch a glance of how beautiful it is you will think of her! Far better than having it gather dust in the jewellery box!

BI
Aw, what a sweet post! Thank you.
1.gif

You know, I should have posted a before and after pic of it on my finger, that would have been even more dramatic. It was a really pretty stone, but it had a huge window, that was not so pretty on the finger, so besides just plain being too big, it wasn''t real attractive. So the recutting enhanced it in many ways.

And I couldn''t agree more with the last part of your post. That''s what was so frustrating, I wanted to enjoy this ring, fully. But I wasn''t. Now, it is all the more precious to me. In fact, when I first got it, I was almost affraid to wear it! I didn''t want anything to happen to it.
5.gif
And yes, far, far better to be on my finger, than away in a dark jewelry box where no one could appreciate it.
2.gif

Thanks again BI, and btw, LOVE your sig.
9.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Good Lord, she''s Gorgeousmmuuusssss!!!!! Wowee, what a looker.
2.gif

shay

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 5:58:59 PM
Author: Shay37
Good Lord, she''s Gorgeousmmuuusssss!!!!! Wowee, what a looker.
2.gif

shay
Ain''t she though??!
9.gif
Thanks you!
2.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
This thread keeps making me jealous!! And my mouth waters too. It''s very weird.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! I have an aquamarine ring too, they are my second fave stone :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moon, too funny.
9.gif

Anna, thank you!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bravo Ellen! I loved the original, but it''s not my style either. This one is SO up my alley...I adore it!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey stranger, thank you!!

Hope that adorable T-tot''s doing well.
5.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grrrrr...my gushingly LONG post just got eaten.
14.gif

Ellen, I just saw this and it is amazing!!!

The stone practically looks PLUGGED IN...so vibrant and electric, it''s really amazing. I loved the stone before but I love it just as much if not more now!!!

I would never have thought a solitaire could be so fitting a setting for the stone but it really works, and is so fluid and beautiful. Congrats!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DRAT! I want long gushing!!
wahh.gif

9.gif
Jus kiddin. Thank you FG, it really is quite an amazing transformation, isn't it? And even though it was not a fun journey, it all came out right in the end.
36.gif

Bev

Shiny_Rock
Ellen - I saw this ring before I came out of lurkdom, and I must say that is absolutely gorgeous!!! The recut is amazing and the setting could not be more perfect. I love the simplicity of the solitaire.

Congratulations!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 8:22:53 PM
Author: Bev
Ellen - I saw this ring before I came out of lurkdom, and I must say that is absolutely gorgeous!!! The recut is amazing and the setting could not be more perfect. I love the simplicity of the solitaire.

Congratulations!!
Me too.
2.gif
Thank you so much!

And welcome to PS, I''m glad you decided to join us!

spike13

Shiny_Rock
I figure if they recut the Hope diamond, then there''s no guilt in recutting:).

I saw an interesting blurb about the crown jewels (or was it the Queen''s ering?) Anyway it mentioned that many of them have been recut in their history.

Ellen - your ring is truly stunning! And a great story as well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW Ellen. It''s just a showstopper. The stone, the setting. And I''ve been dying to see that setting with a square stone. Flat out amazing. Wear it in the best of health!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
spike, interesting you post about the crown jewels, and even more so that Miss Gypsy posted right after you. The discussion of this recutting came up in another thread several months back, I was saying how almost everyone had been opposed to it. And it was Gypsy who pointed out the very same thing about the crown jewels. I had no idea about that, and thought the same thing. If they can do it (and not think anything), so can I.
28.gif

Thank you so much!

Gypsy
, thank you sweetie. It does look great with the square. A match made in heaven.
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ellen- what a lovely story! I know your grandmother must be thrilled that you are finally able to get so much enjoyment from her aqua. The recut certainly looks phenomenal
30.gif
and I love that you went for the Leon, too. I wish I had such lovely family heirlooms too (but alas, I think most of my family was poor
3.gif
). Enjoy your stunning reminder of your grandmother!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Your aqua ring is absolutely beautiful!! Grandma would have been very proud of your choice.
36.gif
35.gif

Wear that beauty proudly, and sometimes when you look at it, think of your smiling grandma
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
icekid, your post made me laugh.
2.gif
Thank you!!

Thank you Isabel, I certainly hope she's proud. I wondered more than once if she had a hand in all this.
5.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Absolute perfection! It looks so fab on your finger! I totally enjoy looking at all the pics posted so I can only imagine what it must be like to actually own it...
3.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
WOW - sheer perfection
36.gif
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your ring! It is by far one of my favourites ever
30.gif
You''re a great photographer - that blinding fire shot was to die for
18.gif
You did your grandmother proud Ellen! Wear it in good health and with fond memories!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
This is beautiful and unique, but I am curious, what did you do with the old setting?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I am sooo happy for you. The re-cut stone is just absolutely simply GORGEOUS!!
30.gif
30.gif
. i am sure yr grandmother is smiling at you now from Heaven!
1.gif
. Aquamarine is definitely one my fav gemstones, and yr thread is making my yearning even worse (in a good way, of course!!)
9.gif

Wear it in good health.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Oh WOW!!!! That is gorgeous. Love it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lisa, thank you! Yes, it''s even better in person.
5.gif

pocahontas, I can''t get over how firey this thing is. I mean, it''s not a diamond, who knew?? Thank you so much!

reader, thank you! The old setting is in my jewelry box. I have not decided what to do with it, I''m not sure how easily another stone can be cut to fit in it. But it will go to a family member, just not sure who yet.

Phoenix, ooh, am I enabling somebody??
9.gif
I think my nanny would indeed be pleased with the way it turned out, thank you!

Lucy, thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results