shape
carat
color
clarity

My rainbow moonstone is here....

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And I am so happy to own a piece of the rainbow!!!

When I first opened it... I was less then impressed with the packaging and this lifeless stone in my hand; then I thought to take it by the window (gorgeous sunny day today) and wow :love:

My heart could barely contain itself! Deep oranges, pinks yellows and the brightest baby blue.... oh my oh my oh my

I love that the rainbow is "secret" or kept hidden in there and get so much joy at the thought of everyone seeing just a weird clear white stone on my hand that I know contains the rainbow :dance:

The outlines between each colour are so clear and distinct it's almost unreal; like a pencil drawing. Yet in other angles the colours of the rainbow soften and blend together, like a real rainbow.

Just wow.

screenshot_2016-04-20-12-17-55.png

screenshot_2016-04-20-12-18-30.png

screenshot_2016-04-20-12-19-23.png

screenshot_2016-04-20-12-20-06.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty! The shape and coloring are both appealing. I can't quite tell from the pictures, does it have a high crown? Pretty.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Have you seen it outside yet? What are your plans with it?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty and unique! Excited to see what you do with it :)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! I love it so much right now it's still making me smile like a Cheshire cat :D

I'm not such what a high crown is so not sure if it has it or not rfisher. As for how I'll set it, as much as I don't want to put it in a ring to protect it... I cannot imagine it any other way. This baby needs the (sun)light to come alive and that's best done on a ring! All I am sure of is I'll send it to Sally and hopefully come up with something together. I want something that maximises light upon the stone whilst having the most protective setting I can also have.... going to be a hard one this one.

I have taken it outside ilovegems it's gorgeous and kinda sparkly hehe but it's best in shaded sun. It needs the light to come through the edge facets to produce the rainbow inside, otherwise you get a mish mash of random colours just bouncing around inside. Which is pretty in itself but I just love that secret rainbow.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1461167194|4021687 said:
Thank you everyone! I love it so much right now it's still making me smile like a Cheshire cat :D

I'm not such what a high crown is so not sure if it has it or not rfisher. As for how I'll set it, as much as I don't want to put it in a ring to protect it... I cannot imagine it any other way. This baby needs the (sun)light to come alive and that's best done on a ring! All I am sure of is I'll send it to Sally and hopefully come up with something together. I want something that maximises light upon the stone whilst having the most protective setting I can also have.... going to be a hard one this one.

I have taken it outside ilovegems it's gorgeous and kinda sparkly hehe but it's best in shaded sun. It needs the light to come through the edge facets to produce the rainbow inside, otherwise you get a mish mash of random colours just bouncing around inside. Which is pretty in itself but I just love that secret rainbow.

Sally will definitely know what to do :) but one thing I thought of is a maybe a bezel setting with an open gallery? That way you let light into the setting to show off the stone, but it's more protected than it would be in a prong setting.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excellent idea, thank you!

Some more pics...

ETA apologies for all the greasy handprints all over it

screenshot_2016-04-20-22-35-15.png

screenshot_2016-04-20-22-01-24.png

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I can't help it, I'm probably babbling on to everyone's annoyance hehe but I can't stop taking pics!

screenshot_2016-04-21-11-02-50.png

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Superb!! Who was the vendor, if you don't mind?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It really is! Just look at that electric yet soft teal/blue :love:

Now I understand what "makes my heart sing" means...

No problem beau, it was from Brad at the gem trader. He was absolutely a delight to interact with; I asked questions about this stone for about 2 weeks (he was away travelling for part of that) and asked for other pictures of it and after all that umming and ahhing I finally went for it.

Boy am I glad I did...

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both! Thanks for the link to that gorgeous ring and opal mochiko, it's so pretty. I can't wait until I've saved enough to start on this rainbow moonstone... I'm so desperate to wear it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool!! Never seen anything like it before.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Interesting stone, will you be setting it or keep it as a collection stone?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Soft pretty colors making it so glowy and romantic. :love:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
O my loving the rainbow :love: :appl: :love: good luck with your design.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I'm back! One year on and I'm finally sending this moonstone to Sally to set! Woohoo! Won't give too much away but think, rainbow moonstone, baby pink spinels and baby blue/purple kornerupine...

That's all I'm saying

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm back! One year on and I'm finally sending this moonstone to Sally to set! Woohoo! Won't give too much away but think, rainbow moonstone, baby pink spinels and baby blue/purple kornerupine...

That's all I'm saying

Ooh...I'm getting excited just thinking about those possibilities. :D
I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool stone! I love the rainbow in it. :appl:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely stone. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like it is going to so beautiful with the soft rainbow colors! Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Eady

Rough_Rock
Lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result, those stones sound like such a dreamy combination, perfect for a moonstone!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eek no pressure haha!

I can't wait!!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
What is rainbow moonstone? specifically, what is the rainbow in the stone caused by? Do they come from a specific place? Is it a stone of some rarity or can one be found for sale at most anytime? Thanks in advance.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so surprised by that little rainbow in the sun! How beautiful! I've wanted a moonstone for so long, but I haven't figured out what to look for yet! It's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results