shape
carat
color
clarity

My rainbow moonstone is here....

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What is rainbow moonstone? specifically, what is the rainbow in the stone caused by? Do they come from a specific place? Is it a stone of some rarity or can one be found for sale at most anytime? Thanks in advance.

I was about to type out a response but then remembered a thread that had done all the work already!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ar-moonstone-labradorite-sunstone-etc.208567/

Everything you needed to know about feldspar!

Thank you geargirly! I do so love it. I'm also after a proper blue flash moonstone right now, of the orthoclase kind.

Having said that I still think my above rainbow will be my fav :)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So just to reiterate on this thread, my rainbow moonstone above is labrodorite rather then orthoclase (blue sheen moonstone). They are both from the feldspar family which is why confusion arises!

Should we PSers start a revolution? Let's start calling this stuff rainbow labrodorite moonstone?? I don't think rainbow labrodorite alone would suffice because how would you distinguish between normal (non clear) labdorite with rainbow sheen... to my stone above.

If we keep the "moonstone" misnomer in there is assets to the fact this labrodorite is unlike any normal labrodorite (and technically looks like moonstone).

Or we could just make it a thing to write rainbow moonstone (lab / orthoclase) after the term every time...?

Whose with me!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So just to reiterate on this thread, my rainbow moonstone above is labrodorite rather then orthoclase (blue sheen moonstone). They are both from the feldspar family which is why confusion arises!

Should we PSers start a revolution? Let's start calling this stuff rainbow labrodorite moonstone?? I don't think rainbow labrodorite alone would suffice because how would you distinguish between normal (non clear) labdorite with rainbow sheen... to my stone above.

If we keep the "moonstone" misnomer in there is assets to the fact this labrodorite is unlike any normal labrodorite (and technically looks like moonstone).

Or we could just make it a thing to write rainbow moonstone (lab / orthoclase) after the term every time...?

Whose with me!

Change that to labrodorite rainbow moonstone. Much easier to say.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok I can't wait any longer. Gota share this picture! Apologies it's taken with the gem jar lid still on! Indoors, by the window.

Screenshot_20170522-190814.png

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is a pretty gem Redspinel. You MUST set this beauty. I insist!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful! It's like you've actually captured a rainbow!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Was this ever set? I can't find an update.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results