shape
carat
color
clarity

My Peter Torraca Masterpiece

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2008 12:07:38 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 11/29/2008 11:38:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
This is a bright and lively tourmaline without extinction, so I think a bezel would be nice. I would do a halo in an octagon shape, to match the stone. I think the rose gold would be perfect for it. Perhaps a rose gold bezel an a white gold shank. Did you check out the huge selection of rose gold mountings at TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com. They sell their mounts without stones, and they can do all their settings in 14 or 18K rose gold. Your stone reminds me of a padparadscha. Padparadschas look incredible in rose gold.

Another idea would be to set the stone on it''s side so that it accentuates a diamond shape. That would be lovely as well.
Thanks TL!

I have another question. Given that this is not a calibrated size, if I opt for a bezel will this preclude me from using a stock setting?

Some rings that inspire me the most in photos are those that set alone, no side stones or halo''s etc. I can''t help thinking that this stone is probably not quite large enough for a solitaire. I''m also worried about the colour washing out on my hand without some contrasting diamonds, what do you think. Tomorrow I''ll post some of my favourite style wise.

Thanks for staying up with me TL. I really value your opinions.
If it''s not a calibrated size, but if it''s close to a calibrated size, you might be able to find a stock setting, otherwise, it might have to be custom. I''m really not the expert at this, but "Ma Re" is (thanks for your kind words though). However, if it were my stone, I would do a halo bezel with a single row of white diamonds. I think it would accentuate the stone, and the color and cut is so nice, it would still stand out from the bezel. If it''s looking too washed out on your hand, I think a bezel might deepen the color a little bit.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2008 11:25:54 PM
So this new ER will have a lot to live up to. Here's a shot from my wedding day 15 and a half years ago. I adore this ring.

Question is, do I put this new baby in a halo?

What do you all think a bezel will do to the stone? I don't want to run the risk of over darkening the stone.

Does anyone know how tourmalines look/change once they go into a bezel? Anyone got any pre-set and set photos of bezel set tourmalines?

Here is a pic of my tourmaline unset
MPpink%20stone.jpg

Jeweler picture of the setting
Misty123.jpg

And a handshot
CIMG1595.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Misspinky... that''s a one stunning ring you have! I love your the way your pink tourmaline is cut. Just beautiful!
30.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 4:59:15 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Gailey, I love your story and you''ve finally ended up with ''the one''. Your tourmaline looks stunning and from the hand shot a great size too! My only suggestion is that you live with the gemstone for as long as you can bear before deciding on a setting. I can''t wait to see the finished result!

ETA I haven''t visited Peter''s site before - how do you know if a gemstone has sold and how much it is?
Morning LD!

Whaddya mean wait! I''ve waited a gazillion years for this little lady. I''m struggling with the fact I know I won''t be able to get it before Christmas - you want me to wait even longer. Have a heart for pity''s sake!!

It''s bad enough that the meagre supply of jewels I have get locked up between end of April and begining of November. Because I garden for a living, I don''t run the risk of taking stuff on and off and maybe losing a piece, so away it all goes, wedding ring and all. Mind you, sensible advice - I tell gardening clients the same thing. Live with it for a while and get a feel for your garden. Why would anything of value not be the same.

Peter''s site is fairly new and the stones he has cut are featured mainly on his flickr site which he gives a link to. I have noticed that a few ladies on here have bought his stones. I''m not sure it''s OK to talk about prices, but I will say I think his charges are very reasonable. Peter studied with the renowned Roger Dery.

I found Peter by looking at the Lapidary Corner of a fairly industry specific gemology forum, which I won''t mention any more because I got my knuckles politely tapped by admin for mentioning another more competative site. However if you google search gemology forum, you will find them.

You know who is good in this business by reading the opinions of other lapidarists.

That is of course not to denegrade the opinions of the master consumers here - whose talent is amazing!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 9:34:47 AM

Date: 11/30/2008 12:07:38 AM

Date: 11/29/2008 11:38:23 PM
This is a bright and lively tourmaline without extinction, so I think a bezel would be nice. I would do a halo in an octagon shape, to match the stone. I think the rose gold would be perfect for it. Perhaps a rose gold bezel an a white gold shank. Did you check out the huge selection of rose gold mountings at TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com. They sell their mounts without stones, and they can do all their settings in 14 or 18K rose gold. Your stone reminds me of a padparadscha. Padparadschas look incredible in rose gold.

Another idea would be to set the stone on it''s side so that it accentuates a diamond shape. That would be lovely as well.
Thanks TL!

I have another question. Given that this is not a calibrated size, if I opt for a bezel will this preclude me from using a stock setting?

Some rings that inspire me the most in photos are those that set alone, no side stones or halo''s etc. I can''t help thinking that this stone is probably not quite large enough for a solitaire. I''m also worried about the colour washing out on my hand without some contrasting diamonds, what do you think. Tomorrow I''ll post some of my favourite style wise.

Thanks for staying up with me TL. I really value your opinions.
If it''s not a calibrated size, but if it''s close to a calibrated size, you might be able to find a stock setting, otherwise, it might have to be custom. I''m really not the expert at this, but ''Ma Re'' is (thanks for your kind words though). However, if it were my stone, I would do a halo bezel with a single row of white diamonds. I think it would accentuate the stone, and the color and cut is so nice, it would still stand out from the bezel. If it''s looking too washed out on your hand, I think a bezel might deepen the color a little bit.
Morning TL!

I was definitely leaning towards a bezelled halo until you sent me off to NSC for a "looksee". Then I spotted this setting. I fired off an enquiry to them about it last night.

Mind you, those micro-halo''s of Leon''s are TDF.

Whoever''s signature line reads "so many sparklies, so little time" knows what she''s talking about!

02 NSC baguette.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 10:25:55 AM
Author: misspinky

So this new ER will have a lot to live up to. Here''s a shot from my wedding day 15 and a half years ago. I adore this ring.

Question is, do I put this new baby in a halo?

What do you all think a bezel will do to the stone? I don''t want to run the risk of over darkening the stone.

Does anyone know how tourmalines look/change once they go into a bezel? Anyone got any pre-set and set photos of bezel set tourmalines?

Here is a pic of my tourmaline unset
MPpink%20stone.jpg

Jeweler picture of the setting
Misty123.jpg

And a handshot
CIMG1595.jpg
Thank you Miss P

Your ring is beautiful and is one of the rings I have saved in my scrapbook of ideas that I keep coming back to time and again. Can you remind me of the overall dimensions of your stone? What size were the diamonds you opted for?

Tell me, how do you get 3 photos with comments in one post? Now that''s an awesome talent.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you get in touch with Peter? I emailed him several days ago, and still no response. His website is very basic, and the only way to get in touch is to send an email. You don''t even know if the stones in his Flikr are available or what the price is.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2008 8:51:27 AM
How do you get in touch with Peter? I emailed him several days ago, and still no response. His website is very basic, and the only way to get in touch is to send an email. You don''t even know if the stones in his Flikr are available or what the price is.
Morning TL

Hang in there, Peter and his family may well have been away at the weekend. Didn''t you guys have a teensy holiday down there?

His website is not fully developed yet, but he will let you know what''s available and what''s coming up. His Flickr stream wasn''t developed for commercial purposes, hence no prices availability etc. It''s more to give you an idea of his portfolio.

I must say I kind of feel sorry for some of these guys. No only do they have to be master lapidiarists, but also masters of photography, web design etc. More often than not they are one man bands. If the rest of Peter''s clients are as demanding as I am, God help the poor guy!

If there is something specific you are interested in he will search it out for you as well.

Watcha looking for chick?

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
Hi TL -- Gailey had the right of it. Thanksgiving was fantastic this year -- assorted family & kids all over the place. It was a wonderful holiday and kept me well away from the computer and the "grinding wheel" since last Wed. This is the first I''ve sat down to my computer since then (except for tracking the ugly weather yesterday).

If you don''t receive a reply from me in the next 12 hours or so, please try again!

peter

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What a fun stone!!!! I think rose gold would be beautiful as well!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely, lovely stone-congrats!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 11:41:40 AM
Date: 11/30/2008 10:25:55 AM

Author: misspinky

Thank you Miss P

Your ring is beautiful and is one of the rings I have saved in my scrapbook of ideas that I keep coming back to time and again. Can you remind me of the overall dimensions of your stone? What size were the diamonds you opted for?

Tell me, how do you get 3 photos with comments in one post? Now that's an awesome talent.

Thanks Gailey! The tourmailne is 2.24 carats, dimensions are 7.4x7.4. I *think* the diamonds in the halo are 1 pointers, but I'll see if I can dig up the actual info on that. There are a total of .84 cts of diamonds in the halo, shank, and under gallery of the ring.

Hope that helps!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Your new stone is SO pretty! I get Peter''s emails when he updates his Flickr site and they are always just breathtaking! I love the peachy/pink color!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful! It sparkles like a pink diamond! Just beautifully cut! I see that in rose gold for sure!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your kind comments.

At the start of my thread I referred to this project as a journey and it really is. A year ago all I wanted was a new ring. That search brought me to Pricescope and I really enjoy taking part. Not a day goes by when I don''t learn something. So I should be thanking all of you for constantly sharing your knowledge and wisdom. I''ve also gotten to know Mr Torraca via e-mails and I admire him on many levels. This has turned out to be a much richer experience than I dreamt it would be.

I say wisdom with my tongue in my cheek a bit tonight. LovingDiamonds suggested yesterday that I hang on to the stone for a while before making up my mind on a setting. I was horrified at the thought, but you know I think she may be right. I have been flip-flopping a great deal today over styles. I think I am down to a shortlist of 3. The first, which is below is from NSC. TourmalineLover suggested I look over there. I fired off an enquiry last night and today they sent me this photo of the style I was interested in as a made up ring. I would definitely go with the 18ct rosegold option, but this gives you a flavour. I''ll post my other top two separately.

Again, thanks for taking an interest. There''s not many people out there who would patiently listen and sensibly advise. XXX

NSC 03.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
This is another option I am considering. I don''t know who this ring belongs to and I hope she doesn''t mind me posting it. My first love is definitely a bezel set micropavé halo, again in rose gold. This photo was the closest I could find that represents what I have in mind. Perhaps someone could photoshop the colour for me to something more peachy pink.

Thing is, I have a bezel set oval halo, so perhaps I should consider something new ........

More gems 024.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
This is the third ring to make the short-list and in many ways it is my favourite.

Instantly recognisable to many of you as that wonderful Aqua re-cut belonging to Ellen who had is set so elegantly and simply by Leon Megé. Again, Elllen I hope you don''t mind me posting this photo, your ring is truly jaw droppingly awesome.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that my stone is pink and as you saw from my handshot it looked washed out against my pink fingers.

I''m almost tempted to set the ring in this setting anyhow. If my fears were confirmed and the colour of the tourmaline is not strong enough to stand on it''s own I could defer to either option a) or b). I would still have an elegant setting that I could put something else in. Trouble is, I would want to order it in 18 ct rose gold. Would I really want two rose gold coloured rings?

questions, questions, questions .....

Ellen Aqua7517.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gailey, what a beauty you got there! That stone is just gorgeous!
I recently bought a tourmaline myself and decided that bezel is the best way to go since I was afraid I might accidently hit the stone and damage it. The only difference I notice now that it''s set is that the tourmaline appears a little darker as in the colour looks more saturated somehow but the fire is still there, trust me! And I''m not worrying about chipping or breaking it all the time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2008 9:42:06 PM
This is the third ring to make the short-list and in many ways it is my favourite.

Instantly recognisable to many of you as that wonderful Aqua re-cut belonging to Ellen who had is set so elegantly and simply by Leon Megé. Again, Elllen I hope you don't mind me posting this photo, your ring is truly jaw droppingly awesome.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that my stone is pink and as you saw from my handshot it looked washed out against my pink fingers.

I'm almost tempted to set the ring in this setting anyhow. If my fears were confirmed and the colour of the tourmaline is not strong enough to stand on it's own I could defer to either option a) or b). I would still have an elegant setting that I could put something else in. Trouble is, I would want to order it in 18 ct rose gold. Would I really want two rose gold coloured rings?

questions, questions, questions .....
Oh for heaven's sake, of course I don't mind! I'm terribly flattered actually. Thank you!
5.gif

I've been mulling over your situatuion and your wanting this Leon. Naturally I love the setting. You mentioned how the stone looked washed out on your hand in the picture, but what does it look like in real life? because that's what you should base your decision on (pics don't always tell the whole tale). If you think it's deep enough, I think it would look stunning in that setting.

The one thing I thought about though, if it turns out you didn't like it, it would not be so easy to find another stone that exact size. I think if it were me, I wouldn't do it unless you were absolutely sure.

My second choice would have been the halo, but as you already have one, I had another thought. I'll throw it in just for good measure. What about a bezel setting, with an engraved band? in rose gold of course. I think that could be really pretty and different, and the bezel would really accentuate the shape of your stone. I tried to find some examples, but nothing exactly like I am envisioning came up. The first site won't let me save the pic, and I doubt it will bring it up as the main pic like I will link it. So go through the pics under the main pic box. It's in the second set of photo's, it's an oval blue stone, half bezel with engraved band. I would want a full bezel (maybe with miligrain?), but it kind of gives you an idea. (not sure if engraving is an option)

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/

Musey has a post in here (3rd down) with 4 engraved settings, and one of which is another half bezel. Just imagine full, and the band could either taper out or in like those pictured.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-opinions-on-this-setting.80598/

Also, don't know if you saw this one, but I think your stone would go great in something like this. Compliments to hest.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-sq-emerald-in-custom-vintage-repro-ring.27413/

Another option to sides are traps. I kind of think they flow better with an Asscher cut, while (several) tapered bags go better with an Emerald cut. But that's just my opinion, get what you like best! Here's a good example. Compliments to UCLA belle.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-setting-new-camera-new-jewels.55299/

I don't know if I was any help after all that, but I had fun.
9.gif
Can't wait to see what you pick for that gorgeous stone!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for all your suggestions. My computer has been playing up for the last few days, so I am only catching up on PS threads this evening.

I have just read FrekeChild''s news and I am so upset for her. I can''t think rings right now, but I will come back to your suggestions in a day or two and look at them in more detail.

I just didn''t want to to wait longer to thank you.
emmoon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results