shape
carat
color
clarity

My pear is getting a re-set!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1403558529|3699437 said:
Ok if it helps to verbalize emotional responses... ::)

I thnk the smaller baguette contrasts more with the size of the princess. The larger baguette looks about the same length As the princess (going point to point top to bottom) and I don't think that's a good design element -- juxtaposing two diamonds of different shapes that take up the same visual space. The smaller baguette looks more similar in overall space to the stones on the chain, but looks smaller than the drop stones and so I feel like it flows better.

ETA I just read fancy's reply and it seems she likes the larger baguette for the same reason I don't like it! I feel the larger baguette draws the eye away from the pear to the top of the drop section, whereas the smaller baguette lets the eye drift down to the princess... A smaller princess yet might further let the eye focus on the pear, which would be my preference in this style. If you want the eye to go to the whole drop, then I think you might need a different size/proportion combo all together. Maybe a smaller princess with the larger baguette? I keep coming back to not liking the pairing of that larger baguette with that princess... They are too competitive for attention.
Thanks DD for really studying the visual! :))

The part that is kinda abstract to me is we are seeing just a portion of the necklace close up. The scale of the piece as a whole is completely missing. I wonder if the relationship between the 3 diamonds changes when you see the whole thing? I know what you mean about the princess. It's wide, but would it read "wide" when looking at the whole necklace? Or would the 3 larger diamonds read as a cohesive pendant since they are all sized up?

Those diamond melee are SMALL! Only 7 pointers. They definitely read as part of the chain when I wore this necklace. If I downsize the princess, does the princess then visually meld with the melee and the 3 diamonds are no longer a distinct drop?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1403559533|3699443 said:
I like the one with the smaller baguette - I just like the proportions better, and I think the larger baguette distracts a bit from the pear - it's a stunning design!
Thanks Junebug! :wavey:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
thecat|1403627863|3700077 said:
I prefer the left one for its proportion. The left one looks more integrated than the right where the attention is on the pear. Some people prefer a more integrated pendant while others might prefer a focus. But it's what you prefer that's the most important. Regardless, both are excellent choices.
Hi thecat! :wavey:

I think I understand what you are saying. The smaller baguette makes the pear the focus, whereas the larger baguette makes the pendant-unit of all 3 diamonds together the focus?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1403628217|3700085 said:
thecat|1403627863|3700077 said:
I prefer the left one for its proportion. The left one looks more integrated than the right where the attention is on the pear. Some people prefer a more integrated pendant while others might prefer a focus. But it's what you prefer that's the most important. Regardless, both are excellent choices.
Hi thecat! :wavey:

I think I understand what you are saying. The smaller baguette makes the pear the focus, whereas the larger baguette makes the pendant-unit of all 3 diamonds together the focus?

You got it right. I'm the type to prefer nearly similar sized diamonds in 3 stone rings. So I like the more blended in together design. But some prefer the center stone of a 3 stone band to be way larger than the sides as they prefer to have a focus.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
starryeyed|1403627058|3700069 said:
FancyDiamond|1403565751|3699516 said:
This mark-up photo is the left one (large baguette) but with a smaller princess. I like this one even more. It highlights the baguette, but still emphasizes the large size of the pear.

I think it is important to showcase the baguette and princess rather than letting them disappear. Otherwise, why bother resetting your pear necklace?
Wow, FD THANKS! :appl:

I appreciate all of the time you spent and your wonderful ideas. I wonder what size that photoshopped princess actually winds up being? Maybe 0.35? Or even 0.25?
[/img]

Measure the length of the pear on the screen, then measure the width of the princess (not point-to-piont, flat edge to flat edge). Divide the screen-measured width of the princess by the screen-measured length of the pear, then multiply that resulting number by the actual length of the pear in millimeters from your GIA report. That resulting number will be the real life millimeter width of a princess that would have the proportions in the mock-up. Start thinking in millimeters not carat, as that is the most important thing to get right 8)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
The proportions from the photoshopped princess looks much better. I felt like the larger one was competing with the pear, which is the main star. The princess still hasn't faded into the background though.

My preference is also for the shorter baguette.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Any updates?

cheers--Sharon

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1403968963|3702829 said:
HI:

Any updates?

cheers--Sharon
YES! Thanks for following up Sharon! :praise:

I spoke with WF about the smaller princess. They took a look at the 0.50-ct princess with the pear, which measures roughly 12.5mm x 7.7mm. They didn't think it would look right to go much smaller.

Just a quick calculation, the 0.5-carat princess is roughly 6.14 mm across when set diagonally. A 0.35-carat would be roughly 5.5 mm. I guess I failed to listen to WF with the original clasp system and regretted it, so I figure I'm better off trusting their eyes on this.

So then, there was a crazy pricing anomaly and to get the larger baguette would have cost me roughly $875 more. So although I was leaning toward the 3x7 (larger baguette-0.5 carat) I couldn't justify the price difference. So I agreed to the 3x6 - 0.4 carat.

So although I think I preferred the larger baguette, I'm getting the smaller one. I don't know - I hope I'm happy with that.

WF gave an estimated completion date of July 23rd. The wait is going to kill me.

In the meantime, I'm anxious to start the 2-carat RB re-set. I will have 4 melee left over from this project. :twirl:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1403631772|3700138 said:
Measure the length of the pear on the screen, then measure the width of the princess (not point-to-piont, flat edge to flat edge). Divide the screen-measured width of the princess by the screen-measured length of the pear, then multiply that resulting number by the actual length of the pear in millimeters from your GIA report. That resulting number will be the real life millimeter width of a princess that would have the proportions in the mock-up. Start thinking in millimeters not carat, as that is the most important thing to get right 8)
Thanks FD. :))

I went through that exercise. The diagonal width of the photoshopped princess is roughly 5mm. A little geometry and that gives dimensions of roughly 3.5mm square. Just a quick comparison search and that would be roughly a 0.28-carat princess.

The one that WF originally sent was a 0.25-carat princess melee. Similar.

WF told me they didn't think the smaller princess was large enough against the pear when they looked at the stones together IRL.

I figured I'd trust them because it's hard to tell from a close-up static image. I still have my fingers crossed that I made the right choice. :confused:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks iota15! :))

One thing I CAN conclude is that everyone likes something different and there isn't a clear winner......

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
cflutist|1403120214|3695911 said:
starryeyed|1402536364|3691326 said:
Here is the latest visual iteration from WF with a 4.45 x 4.45 princess and a 0.25-carat baguette.

I think the princess should be smaller or the maybe the baguette bigger or both. I wish there were my perfect kite out there. Sigh.

Should the diamonds be set closer together? What do you think?

necklace-mockup_0.jpg

Oh la la, just stunning. :love: :love: :love:

Just a thought, how about two triangles butt to butt instead of a kite?

^ That is very beautiful!!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of your re-set project. Much as I like your necklace, the idea of a shorter, more compact look to the drop is an excellent one. I think it gives your necklace more versatility for wearing with different kinds of shirts/necklines and the shorter look pleases my eye more.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sky56|1403977678|3702886 said:
I like the idea of your re-set project. Much as I like your necklace, the idea of a shorter, more compact look to the drop is an excellent one. I think it gives your necklace more versatility for wearing with different kinds of shirts/necklines and the shorter look pleases my eye more.
Thanks sky56! :wavey:

Hard to believe it's been 7 years since the original creation of this necklace, but I am ready for a change!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1403976178|3702873 said:
canuk-gal|1403968963|3702829 said:
HI:

Any updates?

cheers--Sharon
YES! Thanks for following up Sharon! :praise:

I spoke with WF about the smaller princess. They took a look at the 0.50-ct princess with the pear, which measures roughly 12.5mm x 7.7mm. They didn't think it would look right to go much smaller.

Just a quick calculation, the 0.5-carat princess is roughly 6.14 mm across when set diagonally. A 0.35-carat would be roughly 5.5 mm. I guess I failed to listen to WF with the original clasp system and regretted it, so I figure I'm better off trusting their eyes on this.

So then, there was a crazy pricing anomaly and to get the larger baguette would have cost me roughly $875 more. So although I was leaning toward the 3x7 (larger baguette-0.5 carat) I couldn't justify the price difference. So I agreed to the 3x6 - 0.4 carat.

So although I think I preferred the larger baguette, I'm getting the smaller one. I don't know - I hope I'm happy with that.

WF gave an estimated completion date of July 23rd. The wait is going to kill me.

In the meantime, I'm anxious to start the 2-carat RB re-set. I will have 4 melee left over from this project. :twirl:

Sounds good--I am sure it will look that way also. Thanks for the update....

oh and should you find some great priced Tiffany diamond studs---CALL ME! :lol:

cheers--Sharon

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1403991272|3702962 said:

cheers--Sharon
What size? :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1403993427|3702969 said:
canuk-gal|1403991272|3702962 said:

cheers--Sharon
What size? :))

Rather, how cheap! :saint: :bigsmile: :devil: Thread hijack over. :))

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should trust their eye because things always look a bit different in person! And with the larger princess I liked the smaller baguette anyway!

I can't wait to see it :appl:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here is the CAD. I understand the refinement/polishing process will make the metal look less bulky, but I am just seeing WAY too much metal. I think I would prefer everything extremely delicate and airy.

Also, what do you think of these proportions?? I worry the baguette looks too small, but I'm not sure if it's because of size or all of the metal.

The connecting loops look huge too.

I'd appreciate some input.

wf_cad_terry_martorana.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results