shape
carat
color
clarity

My pear is getting a re-set!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it's true! After 7 years, I'm making a change. For those of you who may not remember my pear necklace, here is a link and a few pictures.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-pear-necklace-is-done-hooray.62061/

pearnecklace1_1.jpg
pearnecklace1_2.jpg

So my necklace is back with WF and here is my inspiration piece. I believe it is a Cartier necklace that came up for auction.

cartier_pear_necklace.jpg

I have been looking for kites or lozenges for that middle stone. WF suggested a princess. I didn't know princess-cuts came as diamond-shaped.

What do you think??

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your original necklace is one of the most beautiful I have seen.
But I do understand the need for a change, the new design is equally gorgeous.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1402026510|3687512 said:

CFLUTIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wavey:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starry, I think that's a brilliant idea using a Princess as the kite set stone, the new design will be fantastic, much as I loved the old one!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
cflutist|1402026510|3687512 said:
Hi Cflutist! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Good to see you and thanks for chiming in! As another pear-lover, I really appreciate your thoughts.

I looked around at different designs and kept coming back to the Cartier. To me, it's simple, but elegant.

I saw a variation on mine by Pampillonia that's stunning, but I'm ready for a change.

pear_necklace_pampillonia_0.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1402054121|3687660 said:
Starry, I think that's a brilliant idea using a Princess as the kite set stone, the new design will be fantastic, much as I loved the old one!
Hi Lorelei! :wavey:

Yes, I had no idea they came diamond-shaped. I think it'll be a nice modern interpretation of the inspiration piece. I guess we just have to figure out the proportions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1402063270|3687761 said:
Lorelei|1402054121|3687660 said:
Hi Lorelei! :wavey:

Yes, I had no idea they came diamond-shaped. I think it'll be a nice modern interpretation of the inspiration piece. I guess we just have to figure out the proportions.

I loved your original necklace, but it would be hard to find fault with changing to the Cartier design! Are you keeping the chain as is or are you making it all diamond bezels? I love the pendant part. The only thing I might do is make the princess just a slight amount smaller.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1402063737|3687770 said:
I loved your original necklace, but it would be hard to find fault with changing to the Cartier design! Are you keeping the chain as is or are you making it all diamond bezels? I love the pendant part. The only thing I might do is make the princess just a slight amount smaller.
I believe I will keep the chain as is. My pear probably isn't as big as the pear in the Cartier piece, so I'm concerned that an all-bezel chain would compete. Plus that may be a little costly. Something to think about.

I see what you mean about making the princess a little smaller. Do you think narrower? Or same proportions? I thought maybe the baguette had to be a little longer, but I'm not sure.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the chain as it is, so that is good you are leaving it that way! I think the baguette could be a little larger and it also could be tapered with the wider part at the top. I just think the princess is a little too big or wide for that pear. I'd want it more as a connector between the other two stones and not so prominent.

wow what a stunner! May I ask what the CTW of the pear is?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
ashleysmardigrasgirl|1402346914|3689640 said:
wow what a stunner! May I ask what the CTW of the pear is?
Sure. I bought the pear at an estate jeweler - it was set in a ring at the time. Based on the measurements, he estimated it at 2.75 carats. When it was sent to GIA, it came back 2.63 carats. So I guess it faces up big. :))

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
The latest from WF is that a diamond-shaped diamond, like the one in the inspiration necklace, isn't available, without having to have it cut. Is that an expensive proposition? I have no idea.

We talked about setting a princess on points instead. What do you think?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am not creative, so please take my suggestions in stride (who knows if I suggested it originally, that would be droll :bigsmile: ).

Is there any way the new design could incorporate removing the pear so that you could wear it alone as a drop +/- it with the DBTY chain, etc? IMHO, it might be nice it if were versatile. Each version would be gorgeous on their own. I like the idea of three different necklaces....but eschew the phrase mix and match :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first saw your post I was like NOOoooooo! I love that necklace...how could
you hurt me like this?!?

But now that I see your inspiration...proceed with reset :bigsmile: .

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1402361182|3689797 said:
HI:

I am not creative, so please take my suggestions in stride (who knows if I suggested it originally, that would be droll :bigsmile: ).

Is there any way the new design could incorporate removing the pear so that you could wear it alone as a drop +/- it with the DBTY chain, etc? IMHO, it might be nice it if were versatile. Each version would be gorgeous on their own. I like the idea of three different necklaces....but eschew the phrase mix and match :rodent:

cheers--Sharon
I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean set the pear (with the new additional diamonds) as an enhancer whereby the enhancer could be removed? That way I could have the option of just a DBT-CM chain? (centimeter that is, there are so many!) :lol:

Not sure where the 3rd necklace comes in, but the more the merrier! :))

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1402362363|3689815 said:
When I first saw your post I was like NOOoooooo! I love that necklace...how could
you hurt me like this?!?

Whew! Glad I have your blessing tyty! :saint:

What do you think about the rotated princess rather than a diamond-shaped (or lozenge) diamond?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think in order for it not to be too wide, the princess would have to be smaller than the diamond shaped stone. I would think you might have more luck finding a kite shaped one that looked sort of like a diamond. Did you try that?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1402373417|3689913 said:
canuk-gal|1402361182|3689797 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon
I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean set the pear (with the new additional diamonds) as an enhancer whereby the enhancer could be removed? That way I could have the option of just a DBT-CM chain? (centimeter that is, there are so many!) :lol:

Not sure where the 3rd necklace comes in, but the more the merrier! :))

Yes removable pear...aka enhancer. Wearing that with another plain chain or pearls--would be one option. Add it to the CM chain would be two options. Wearing the CM alone would be three options.

Your projects are always so much fun!

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1402373553|3689914 said:
tyty333|1402362363|3689815 said:
you hurt me like this?!?

Whew! Glad I have your blessing tyty! :saint:

What do you think about the rotated princess rather than a diamond-shaped (or lozenge) diamond?

To be honest I like the kite shaped stone. Its a very unique looking stone befitting this necklace.
If all else fails, a princess will work though. Have you checked with Diamonds by Lauren to see what
they have?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is making the pendant anyway? The maker should be looking for the other stones. I am not sure why you are trying to find it yourself. People like Victor, etc. have access to diamond suppliers and probably can much more easily find the stones needed.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1402406839|3690030 said:
Who is making the pendant anyway? The maker should be looking for the other stones. I am not sure why you are trying to find it yourself. People like Victor, etc. have access to diamond suppliers and probably can much more easily find the stones needed.
The necklace was originally made by WF, so I sent it back to them. The gal with whom I'm working seemed to indicate it would be extremely difficult to find a diamond-shaped kite stone in the size I need (probably around 0.5 carat or so). She said I'd probably have to have one cut and that could be expensive.

I've made progress though - I didn't even know what to ask for. Now I know "kite" is correct, so is "lozenge", although I lozenge may have step cuts.

I'd like something more unique than a princess, but that seems to be a tall order.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1402404448|3690022 said:
Yes removable pear...aka enhancer. Wearing that with another plain chain or pearls--would be one option. Add it to the CM chain would be two options. Wearing the CM alone would be three options.

cheers--Sharon
I LOVE that idea! :love:

However, WF thought it would be better to fix the pendant on the chain. They said that the melee would take less abuse.

I suppose an enhancer that clips between 2 melee and is small enough so it can't run past those 2 melee? I thought bezels protected the melee diamond, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't know. I really like the enhancer idea.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1402404996|3690025 said:
To be honest I like the kite shaped stone. Its a very unique looking stone befitting this necklace.
If all else fails, a princess will work though. Have you checked with Diamonds by Lauren to see what
they have?
Just got off the phone with DBL. I just need to send dimensions and a picture and they will let me know. Not quite sure how to give dimensions because WF has the necklace, but I suppose I can ballpark it.

Thanks tyty! DBL says thank you too! :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1402416923|3690111 said:
canuk-gal|1402404448|3690022 said:

cheers--Sharon
I LOVE that idea! :love:

However, WF thought it would be better to fix the pendant on the chain. They said that the melee would take less abuse.

I suppose an enhancer that clips between 2 melee and is small enough so it can't run past those 2 melee? I thought bezels protected the melee diamond, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't know. I really like the enhancer idea.

HI:

I get what WF is saying. Here is another idea. Not sure if it is realistic.

You have a "clasp" on the diamond chain/necklace. Right? So instead of having the pendant hang from the middle (traditional clasp at back), then put the pear enhancer at the clasp. No melee on clasp. Bail of enhancer could have melee to mitigate the break in diamonds as needed. If preferred. Enhancer could be worked to place over the clasp (metal, no melee) and therefore no damage. You would still have all the options previously noted.

However, that 1 cm (or so) chain that presently secures the pear pendant might not work with this new configuration. And the pear might weight down the chain more if that is not present. I dunno. :read:

Ooff! Am I wacked out?

cheers--Sharon

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1402445493|3690485 said:
HI:

I get what WF is saying. Here is another idea. Not sure if it is realistic.

You have a "clasp" on the diamond chain/necklace. Right? So instead of having the pendant hang from the middle (traditional clasp at back), then put the pear enhancer at the clasp. No melee on clasp. Bail of enhancer could have melee to mitigate the break in diamonds as needed. If preferred. Enhancer could be worked to place over the clasp (metal, no melee) and therefore no damage. You would still have all the options previously noted.

However, that 1 cm (or so) chain that presently secures the pear pendant might not work with this new configuration. And the pear might weight down the chain more if that is not present. I dunno. :read:

Ooff! Am I wacked out?

cheers--Sharon
No, not whacked out! Just a little loupe-y. :lol: Just kidding!

Very interesting idea, but I don't know with what kind of clasp this would work. And would it change the thrust of the design? I'm actually changing the clasp system! I should have listened to Leon at WF 7 years ago.

The pear is fixed but (7 years ago) I still wanted a variable length chain. So I have a system with clasps on either end of the chain and a series of jump rings. In theory it's adjustable, but in actuality, I'm putting on the necklace in a rush and cursing. I wind up just hooking the 2 clasps together and wearing it at 18", which is too long most of the time. Leon warned me. So I thought to just switch to a regular clasp at 17" +/- .

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
starryeyed|1402419102|3690136 said:
tyty333|1402404996|3690025 said:
they have?
Just got off the phone with DBL. I just need to send dimensions and a picture and they will let me know. Not quite sure how to give dimensions because WF has the necklace, but I suppose I can ballpark it.

Thanks tyty! DBL says thank you too! :))
I heard back from David at DBL today. He basically said the same thing that WF said. Tough to find! ;(

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What is the most important thing for you? You already possess most of the requisite parts--but after 7 years, what do you dream/desire to do differently? What elements do you want to keep and what do you want to jettison?

Shortening the necklace to 17 inches is easy ( if I understand you correctly) and you can still keep the extension for added length. Redesigning the pear so it is no longer fixed into an enhancer that is functional and esthetically appealing, is the challenge.

PS, the diamonds in the chain are bezel set, no? Don't the bezels protect the stones to a larger degree, then if set otherwise? What XS damage would occur if the bail on the pear was designed to sit stably between the bezel set stones??

ETA: On second thought, I think you should get a matching pear and set them into earrings! Add all the diamond extensions together and make a longer necklace or shorten the necklace to a 16 inch and put the rest into a bracelet!

cheers--Sharon

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1402528429|3691250 said:
HI:

What is the most important thing for you? You already possess most of the requisite parts--but after 7 years, what do you dream/desire to do differently? What elements do you want to keep and what do you want to jettison?

Shortening the necklace to 17 inches is easy ( if I understand you correctly) and you can still keep the extension for added length. Redesigning the pear so it is no longer fixed into an enhancer that is functional and esthetically appealing, is the challenge.

PS, the diamonds in the chain are bezel set, no? Don't the bezels protect the stones to a larger degree, then if set otherwise? What XS damage would occur if the bail on the pear was designed to sit stably between the bezel set stones??

ETA: On second thought, I think you should get a matching pear and set them into earrings! Add all the diamond extensions together and make a longer necklace or shorten the necklace to a 16 inch and put the rest into a bracelet!

cheers--Sharon
The most important things to me are fixing the clasp and beefing/condensing the pear drop. I was going to take the 2-3 melee from shortening and add them to another new re-set project - my 2 ct. ACA H&A pendant.

The enhancer idea is fantastic for versatility. I have to soul-search how important the diamond chain is to me because if I add the leftover diamond melee to my ACA H&A and fix the flipping issue, that would probably be what I wear most. Would I wear the diamond chain in its place? Not sure. I have a Roberto Coin dog-bone lariat with diamonds already.

I am going to ask again about the pendant sliding between two melee. I am with you about the bezels - I thought they protected the diamonds.

Wow, those would be some killer earrings! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results