shape
carat
color
clarity

My pear is getting a re-set!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here is the latest visual iteration from WF with a 4.45 x 4.45 princess and a 0.25-carat baguette.

I think the princess should be smaller or the maybe the baguette bigger or both. I wish there were my perfect kite out there. Sigh.

Should the diamonds be set closer together? What do you think?

necklace-mockup_0.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW!

Two, spectacular, >2 ctw pendants/necklaces? HOLY MOLY! :appl:

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds! :love:

cheers--Sharon

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
The CAD is gorgeous!! I actually really like the proportions.

Have you considered using a square step cut (EC, asscher) stone instead of the princess? The faceting would tie into the baguette nicely. If you didn't want the clipped corners you could look for a square baguette - they exist although might be as rare as the kite cut.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1402539538|3691356 said:
The CAD is gorgeous!! I actually really like the proportions.

Have you considered using a square step cut (EC, asscher) stone instead of the princess? The faceting would tie into the baguette nicely. If you didn't want the clipped corners you could look for a square baguette - they exist although might be as rare as the kite cut.
Hi Rosebloom! :wavey:

Thanks for this feedback. It makes me feel better that you like the proportions. Turns out, the baguette pictured here is as large as I can get. It's 3x6. If I move to an emerald cut, I'd have to go MUCH larger for a small bump in spread.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1402404996|3690025 said:
To be honest I like the kite shaped stone. Its a very unique looking stone befitting this necklace.
If all else fails, a princess will work though. Have you checked with Diamonds by Lauren to see what
they have?
I spoke with DBL and GOG and no one can source a kite!

So I'm going with a princess, set diagonally.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1402536364|3691326 said:
Here is the latest visual iteration from WF with a 4.45 x 4.45 princess and a 0.25-carat baguette.

I think the princess should be smaller or the maybe the baguette bigger or both. I wish there were my perfect kite out there. Sigh.

Should the diamonds be set closer together? What do you think?

necklace-mockup_0.jpg

Oh la la, just stunning. :love: :love: :love:

Just a thought, how about two triangles butt to butt instead of a kite?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Which princess do you like better for this application?

0.503 G VVS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3035393.htm

0.585 E SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3036242.htm

My pear is a G and the baguette would be G/H. So maybe a G color princess is better?

I also like the idea of a smaller princess, but the difference in size may be negligible.

Maybe this isn't true, but the E SI1 appears to have chunkier facets, which might go better with my pear? It almost looks floral in the center. Each diamond has 3 chevrons, so maybe the visual appearance is similar enough.

What do you think?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
cflutist|1403120214|3695911 said:
Oh la la, just stunning. :love: :love: :love:

Just a thought, how about two triangles butt to butt instead of a kite?
Hi cflutist! :wavey: Always nice to see you.

I thought about it - WF did some images with different abutting shapes, but they all had 2 focal points, which bothered me. It was a disjointed kind of look. Hands down, I like a single diamond look.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
starryeyed|1403120573|3695919 said:

0.503 G VVS1

0.585 E SI1

My pear is a G and the baguette would be G/H. So maybe a G color princess is better?

I also like the idea of a smaller princess, but the difference in size may be negligible.

Maybe this isn't true, but the E SI1 appears to have chunkier facets, which might go better with my pear? It almost looks floral in the center. Each diamond has 3 chevrons, so maybe the visual appearance is similar enough.

What do you think?
I'm disappointed that no one responded with any opinions. It looks like the G may be a better fit.

A color-sensitive person (like me!) at WF told me the difference between the E princess and my G pear was noticeable and the G princess was a better color match.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this princess?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starry,

I think you need a smaller princess. I wonder what a 4mm princess would look like? I think for this application that a chunkier
faceting pattern would be better. I would definitely go with G/H color. Can they do a mock up with a smaller stone?

Can they bring in some different ones for you? (I saw they don't have anything smaller in-house)

I think something like this would be pretty. Its bigger than 4mm but has a nice small table and pretty contrast.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.46-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-310744

GOG has some smaller ones with nice patterns...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12233/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12232/

Not smaller but a solasfera would be pretty...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10745/

Hang in there for the right stone! Its going to be lovely!
tyty333

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
starryeyed|1403229117|3696975 said:
starryeyed|1403120573|3695919 said:

0.503 G VVS1

0.585 E SI1

What do you think?
I'm disappointed that no one responded with any opinions. It looks like the G may be a better fit.

A color-sensitive person (like me!) at WF told me the difference between the E princess and my G pear was noticeable and the G princess was a better color match.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this princess?

What an amazing project! I would most definitely go with a G color princess because the much larger pear is going to show more color than the small princess all else being equal, and I would not want to see any contrast. In that size, I would not be too fussy about cut patterning. It would not be visible to the eye and I would trust WF to pick a good match in optics to your pear.

ETA re size, I would have WF do some mock ups with different proportions to make sure the size is right. Tyty might be right that smaller is better.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1403231128|3697000 said:
starry,

I think you need a smaller princess. I wonder what a 4mm princess would look like? I think for this application that a chunkier
faceting pattern would be better. I would definitely go with G/H color. Can they do a mock up with a smaller stone?

Can they bring in some different ones for you? (I saw they don't have anything smaller in-house)

I think something like this would be pretty. Its bigger than 4mm but has a nice small table and pretty contrast.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.46-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-310744

GOG has some smaller ones with nice patterns...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12233/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12232/

Not smaller but a solasfera would be pretty...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10745/

Hang in there for the right stone! Its going to be lovely!
tyty333
Thanks for responding tyty! :))

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I figured it's the "right" thing to do to buy the princess from WF because they are helping me with layout. They need to make money. So I figured it would help them to buy the princess from them. Is that silly?

So the mock-up image is large, so I wonder IRL if a fraction of a mm smaller is even noticeable? WF said the size difference between the 0.503 and the 0.585 was not discernible IRL. So is the difference between a 0.503 and, say 0.42, noticeable?

If it's not that noticeable, should I go out-of-house?

My quandary continues because I'd like a longer baguette. WF has said they are not available, but then I found one on another site. Maybe the cut quality isn't there? Not sure. I've requested pictures.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1403237731|3697047 said:
What an amazing project! I would most definitely go with a G color princess because the much larger pear is going to show more color than the small princess all else being equal, and I would not want to see any contrast. In that size, I would not be too fussy about cut patterning. It would not be visible to the eye and I would trust WF to pick a good match in optics to your pear.

ETA re size, I would have WF do some mock ups with different proportions to make sure the size is right. Tyty might be right that smaller is better.
Yes, I believe you are right Dreamer. A G sounds like a better way to go. Thanks for the insight about facet patterning. I'm trying to let go of that. :))

I think the WF photoshop person might be uber-busy.....

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Which of these do you like better?

necklace-mockup_3x7mm-baguette_4.jpg necklace-mockup_0_0.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them both, but if given a choice would choose the one on the right (only because my eye was slightly distracted by the larger baguette on the left). I like the pear to be the center of attention.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1403549883|3699354 said:
I like them both, but if given a choice would choose the one on the right (only because my eye was slightly distracted by the larger baguette on the left). I like the pear to be the center of attention.

I agree with this.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for chiming in cflutist! I had the same reaction, but then I wasn't sure if it was because of the heavy outline around the baguette. The outline almost looks like a bezel, which I wasn't planning on doing.

What do you think?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1403550999|3699359 said:

I agree with this.
The one on the left is a 3x7, whereas the one on the right is a 3x6. Not the outline?

I thought the smaller one seemed kinda small compared to the melee.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long is the chain/how long do you wear the necklace? That affects my choice. If worn shorter, so the drop starts at the hollow of the throat, I like the right one better. If worn longer, I like the left one better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eye was immediately drawn to the one on the right with the smaller baguette and kept returning there, so that means the one on the right was more pleasing to my eyes! I can't say WHY it was more pleasing, but it is!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1403552317|3699378 said:
How long is the chain/how long do you wear the necklace? That affects my choice. If worn shorter, so the drop starts at the hollow of the throat, I like the right one better. If worn longer, I like the left one better.
Hi distracts. :wavey:

Thanks for your thoughts. the chain will be 17". That means the drop will start below the hollow of my throat. What do you mean by "longer"?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1403552418|3699379 said:
My eye was immediately drawn to the one on the right with the smaller baguette and kept returning there, so that means the one on the right was more pleasing to my eyes! I can't say WHY it was more pleasing, but it is!
Thanks for your critical eye DD. :))

I wish you knew why!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the left necklace better, because the larger baguette makes the whole set of diamonds, round dbty melees and princess diamond appear more balanced in terms of size. The problems (very minor though) I have with the right set are that 1. The princess diamond is a little big compared to the baguette, and 2. The smaller baguette seems to disappear next to the dbty melees.

If you select the smaller baguette, perhaps get a smaller princess? This way, the two diamonds are better matched in size, and the pear will get more attention (as others have pointed out earlier).

if, on the other hand, you select the left set, then the focus will be on the entire dangling chain as a whole (not a bad thing). The result will be a more substantial look of the entire necklace (a good thing).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
starryeyed|1403555333|3699404 said:
Dreamer_D|1403552418|3699379 said:
Thanks for your critical eye DD. :))

I wish you knew why!

Ok if it helps to verbalize emotional responses... ::)

I thnk the smaller baguette contrasts more with the size of the princess. The larger baguette looks about the same length As the princess (going point to point top to bottom) and I don't think that's a good design element -- juxtaposing two diamonds of different shapes that take up the same visual space. The smaller baguette looks more similar in overall space to the stones on the chain, but looks smaller than the drop stones and so I feel like it flows better.

ETA I just read fancy's reply and it seems she likes the larger baguette for the same reason I don't like it! I feel the larger baguette draws the eye away from the pear to the top of the drop section, whereas the smaller baguette lets the eye drift down to the princess... A smaller princess yet might further let the eye focus on the pear, which would be my preference in this style. If you want the eye to go to the whole drop, then I think you might need a different size/proportion combo all together. Maybe a smaller princess with the larger baguette? I keep coming back to not liking the pairing of that larger baguette with that princess... They are too competitive for attention.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one with the smaller baguette - I just like the proportions better, and I think the larger baguette distracts a bit from the pear - it's a stunning design!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1403558529|3699437 said:
I keep coming back to not liking the pairing of that larger baguette with that princess... They are too competitive for attention.

My biggest problem with the right photo is proportion problem with the baguette and princess pair.

OK. I just marked up the right photo and changed the pricess diamond to a smaller size. Now, I think I am happy with the overall proportion.

necklace-smaller.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This mark-up photo is the left one (large baguette) but with a smaller princess. I like this one even more. It highlights the baguette, but still emphasizes the large size of the pear.

I think it is important to showcase the baguette and princess rather than letting them disappear. Otherwise, why bother resetting your pear necklace?

necklace-3x7mm-baguette_small_proncess.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
FancyDiamond|1403565751|3699516 said:
This mark-up photo is the left one (large baguette) but with a smaller princess. I like this one even more. It highlights the baguette, but still emphasizes the large size of the pear.

I think it is important to showcase the baguette and princess rather than letting them disappear. Otherwise, why bother resetting your pear necklace?

I also really love this and had planned to try a similar photoshop when I got a chance! The larger baguette and smaller princess like fancy shopped up really seems to flow and keep the visual focus where it belongs. No competition between the elements.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
FancyDiamond|1403565751|3699516 said:

Wow, FD THANKS! :appl:

I appreciate all of the time you spent and your wonderful ideas. I wonder what size that photoshopped princess actually winds up being? Maybe 0.35? Or even 0.25?

Here is an very early version (without the links removed) with a 0.15 ct baguette and a 0.25 ct princess. The baguette is clearly too small, but maybe this gives an idea of size for the princess?

necklace-mockup_princess_melee.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the left one for its proportion. The left one looks more integrated than the right where the attention is on the pear. Some people prefer a more integrated pendant while others might prefer a focus. But it's what you prefer that's the most important. Regardless, both are excellent choices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results