shape
carat
color
clarity

My Pad Fieldtrip to NSC in NYC :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the company is in the penthouse of a building near 5th avenue, and it''s really cozy since it''s a very small space, more like a large apartment than a floor of a building. It reminded me of a little pink Victorian house, everything was painted in a soft pink and yellow. I took some pics of the decor.

Anyways, after presenting ID and a short wait, I was buzzed in and met with Livia, who was very nice and helpful. Unfortunately, one of the pads I had scheduled to see had been sold last night and the other one was missing! It turns out, Steven had sold the other one 6 months ago and forgot to update the web site (by the way, Steven doesn''t seem to be working there anymore). So neither of the pads I was hoping to see were there!

But all was not lost. Livia showed me some pads in different colors, and even a box with rows and rows of lovely finished sapphire rings so I could get a good idea of different sizes, colors, and mountings. That box was amazing, it had every color of sapphire and in the most lovely settings! It was quite a selection. I realized immediately that pads really do look obviously different than pink sapphires, even a newbie like me could obviously pick them out, lol. They really are special and lovely! After getting an idea of my color and budget, Livia showed me at least 15 stones and rings that she thought might work.

Anyways, I saw a pad that was set in a ring that had the lovely soft peachy pink I was looking for, and livia said that they could remove it from the setting and I could buy the stone loose if I liked. It''s a little smaller than I was hoping, but the color is lovely!

Despite the fact that I didn''t get to see any of the pads I had been hoping to, I had a great time seeing all those pads and other sapphires in person and learning about them! All in all I spent an hour there, and it went by so fast! Also, livia said that purple is not a pad color, for the record.

nscdecor.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now I have decisions to make! I can buy the unheated half carat stone from nsc that I saw today (for 400$)

Or the .7 carat heated one from CS (in a setting, for 1100). I''m a little worried the color may be a bit too strong and vivid since it''s heated, so I''m going to get it shipped to me. I must say though that Jill Underhill is simply WONDERFUL, with amazing customer service and a gorgeous selection of settings!

The downside of going with the NSC stone, is that I''ll probably want to look for a separate setting since I didn''t really like the selection at NSC.

I attached some pictures. The NSC stone doesn''t have any lavender or purple in it, in fact, it''s a really bad picture in terms of showing the real color, in reality it''s a nice peachy pink. I have no idea what to think of the CS stone, it looks more orange, but the jeweler says it''s a even split of orange and pink so it might just be bad photos. I''ll probably have to have it shipped so I can see it in person.

I''d love to hear thoughts on the pads/prices. This is my first project, don''t know much about anything (other than what I think is pretty, haha). Thanks for the help!

padcomparisons.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi MTG
35.gif

First of all, I am so glad you had such a wonderful time at NSC. Secondly, I am shocked that Steven is not there anymore. I truly wonder what happened. Last time I spoke with him, he told me he would be with the company, until he dropped. He had been there for years and years. I will miss him. I really wanted to see him, when my DH and I went to New York.

That is strange too, that they show lavender pads on their website.

I really don''t know what to tell you, the choice has to be yours and what color you really are happy with. Maybe you should wait until you see this stone in person, then you will be able to decide which is best for you.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote the half carat one that you''ve seen and like. Plus it''s unheated (is there are a cert?) Price is right and you think it''s a pretty stone.

Personally, I''d rather have an unheated (although I wouldn''t scoff at a pretty heated one, believe me!) - I just like it''s just a tad more special.

Thanks for the great report and pics!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Nice showroom. I like the pinkish one. Do you have any more photos?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you had a good time and played with all the lovely gemstones!

In terms of pricing / colours etc. Do you prefer the more pink or peach tones? The stones you''ve pictured above are very different. As for price, it''s very difficult to compare because you''re looking at one stone that''s heated and one that''s not. If you went for the unheated one from NSC you may end up paying more once you have found a setting. Of course if you compromise on the setting then the two rings might end up at the same cost.

Did you see this at NSC? http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/Jewelry=J1527 It looks like a mixture of the two you''ve pictured!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That NSC pad looks really pink, maybe too pink? I don''t mind heated stones for sapphires - I''m not too snobby about that but there are others who deem getting an unheated stone more important. How important is that to you?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I''m honestly leaning towards the small half carat from NSC. Even though it means more of a hunt for the setting. After seeing how much variation and nuance there is to the pad colors, I think I"ll go with this one. Seriously, out of the 15 or so stones/rings I saw, this was the only one that jumped out at me as having a color that I really liked. And it''s unheated, which does make it a little more special, lol.

LovingDiamonds, I actually saw the ring you linked me to, and surprisingly , it IS slightly lavender in person, lol, and more pink than the picture shows.

Sigh...now I have to find a setting.. :/ I might brave the jewelry district in Philly, but I''m really scared I''ll be taken advantage of because I''m young and new to the city. Still, I do love adventure!

Thank you guys for all your help!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:38:46 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Yeah, I'm honestly leaning towards the small half carat from NSC. Even though it means more of a hunt for the setting. After seeing how much variation and nuance there is to the pad colors, I think I'll go with this one. Seriously, out of the 15 or so stones/rings I saw, this was the only one that jumped out at me as having a color that I really liked. And it's unheated, which does make it a little more special, lol.

LovingDiamonds, I actually saw the ring you linked me to, and surprisingly , it IS slightly lavender in person, lol, and more pink than the picture shows.

Sigh...now I have to find a setting.. :/ I might brave the jewelry district in Philly, but I'm really scared I'll be taken advantage of because I'm young and new to the city. Still, I do love adventure!

That's exactly what buying a stone should be about. Forget whether it's heated / not heated / a traditional Pad colour / non traditional / too pink / too peach / too anything else! How it makes you feel is THE criteria! I think you've cracked it!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''m honestly leaning towards the small half carat from NSC. Even though it means more of a hunt for the setting. After seeing how much variation and nuance there is to the pad colors, I think I''ll go with this one. Seriously, out of the 15 or so stones/rings I saw, this was the only one that jumped out at me as having a color that I really liked. And it''s unheated, which does make it a little more special, lol.

Sigh...now I have to find a setting.. :/ I might brave the jewelry district in Philly, but I''m really scared I''ll be taken advantage of because I''m young and new to the city. Still, I do love adventure!

MTG, I am sure the picture you posted of NSC is more beautiful then the picture expresses. I do wish they had their old photographer back. He was excellent and took true pictures of the stones. The stones they show now, almost look like they are "painted". You saw it in person, and I am sure it is gorgeous.

And Yes, unheated stones are more special and worth more in the long run. That is why I love my unheated pads. There is just something special about them. They came out of the earth that way. Nature created them that way. It is truly amazing.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:36:05 PM
Author: Chrono
That NSC pad looks really pink, maybe too pink? I don''t mind heated stones for sapphires - I''m not too snobby about that but there are others who deem getting an unheated stone more important. How important is that to you?

It''s not nearly as pink in person, it''s a very mellow peach pink. I put it next to a pale pink sapphire ring and the difference was immediately noticeable.

I don''t really mind heat except that it tends to darken the stone and I"m looking for something with a light-medium tone and a soft look to it.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG,

As I always said, when you find the right stone, it will "speak" to you. Apparently, you found "your" stone. I think that is wonderful.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linda,
I really agree, it was AMAZING some of the differences in color between the real thing and the pictures we were seeing on her monitor. Some of them were just entire color hues apart! So while this was a great company, I would definitely see their stones in person before buying, lol.

The stone I looked at isn't certified (probably because it's so small), but NSC has a good reputation, so I'm not worried about that. Their reputation is probably more important than scamming me, lol.

If you guys have any suggestions for where to look for settings, I"m all ears. I browsed through LOGR, but they seem to be geared towards 1ct+ sz stones. :/

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
They should hire their old photographer back ha ha ha. He took real pictures of the stones. Good Grief, whoever takes them now sucks. If Steven still worked there, I would tell him too. How are you supposed to tell what color the actual stone is. Geez.

What kind of setting do you prefer? A three stone, a little halo??

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:44:22 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Yeah, I''m honestly leaning towards the small half carat from NSC. Even though it means more of a hunt for the setting. After seeing how much variation and nuance there is to the pad colors, I think I''ll go with this one. Seriously, out of the 15 or so stones/rings I saw, this was the only one that jumped out at me as having a color that I really liked. And it''s unheated, which does make it a little more special, lol.

That''s exactly what buying a stone should be about. Forget whether it''s heated / not heated / a traditional Pad colour / non traditional / too pink / too peach / too anything else! How it makes you feel is THE criteria! I think you''ve cracked it!
MTG

I wholeheartedly agree with LD''s comments. It just so happens that the stone that jumped out at you was un-heated, win win!
I''m looking forward to hearing the next instalment in your story.

Great report btw!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:54:11 PM
Author: Linda W
They should hire their old photographer back ha ha ha. He took real pictures of the stones. Good Grief, whoever takes them now sucks. If Steven still worked there, I would tell him too. How are you supposed to tell what color the actual stone is. Geez.

What kind of setting do you prefer? A three stone, a little halo??

Yeah, not sure why Steve left, but he doesn't seem to work there since he was referred to as "the older gentleman who used to work here" when we were talking about the vanishing pad.

I think I'd like to get a delicate setting. Aside from that, no clue. But the stone is only 5mm in diameter, so I don't want to overpower it..

I"ll post more pics when I get the stone, that's right, I made a decisions! YAY! (never thought you'd see the day huh? haha). THANKS GUYS!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see more pictures. Hummmmmmmmmmm, maybe they wanted younger people working there now.
ACCCCCCCCCCCCCK "the older gentlemen" He was the same age as me. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how fun!!
36.gif
36.gif

Please post lots of pictures!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 8:05:27 PM
I can''t wait to see more pictures. Hummmmmmmmmmm, maybe they wanted younger people working there now.

ACCCCCCCCCCCCCK ''the older gentlemen'' He was the same age as me. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Haha, well Livia was quite young and attractive...
In terms of setting, I like clean and simple :)
like:
Setting

I think I want something delicate/organic looking but clean for this ring since the stone shade is so soft and delicate.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock

It sounds like you are making the right decision - I really think with colored stones it is so much about what speaks to you, in person.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 8:38:47 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
It sounds like you are making the right decision - I really think with colored stones it is so much about what speaks to you, in person.

So I've learned! :)
I really love this but my stone is too small
7.gif
It's really pretty though I think and shaped like a lotus!
lotus setting

or
pretty setting

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that lotus setting. It would be perfect for your pad. Any chance they could make one smaller for you??

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:03:14 PM
I love that lotus setting. It would be perfect for your pad. Any chance they could make one smaller for you??

I sent them an email :) I also asked what width the band was, because if it''s too thick it might just look too bulky.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:03:14 PM
Got the a response from them, and no, they don''t make them small enough to accommodate a 5mm stone
7.gif

I may just wait till the weather is warmer and just go walk around the jewelry district.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you know what? There is a woman on Etsy, who does the lotus flower setting. Let me see if I can find it for you. Be right back.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19884272

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:10:05 PM
Here it is. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19884272

il_75x75_004.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, nuts, that came out too small.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 11:13:40 PM
Well, nuts, that came out too small.

It's ok, it looks lovely! Thanks so much! Although they don't seem to set faceted stones in them, lol.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
She may, you could ask. Here is a Pser and her star sapphires.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-lotus-stars.102387/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results