shape
carat
color
clarity

My Pad Fieldtrip to NSC in NYC :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
So the setting you want should be
- delicate
- simple
- not overpowerring
- and organic
(I like to list people''s thoughts written so far, when giving advice).

I have to ask you a few questions, answers to which you might find useful. Do you plan on wearing the ring 24/7, or only when you dress up? If the later is your answer, that gives you much more options, as you can use materials you normally wouldn''t like in a ring. Do you like mostly modern designs or you wouldn''t mind something with an antique feel to it either?

I''m asking this cause I thought of a ring with a seed pearl halo. It can often be seen in antique jewellery, especially when center stones are moonstones and things like that. So if you could live with wearing the ring only occasionally, that is something that would fit all your design criteria. It certainly wouldn''t overpower the stone (seed pearls can be as small as 1 mm), it would be simple, a bit romantic (great with a stone of such a delicate color) and I can''t think of anything more organic than pearls. They can be white, but also pink or peach to compliment the stone. Pink coral beads would also work great, but I don''t think you could find them so small. Another thing about seed pearls, even if you''re not crazy about a halo, you could use them as small side stones (say, those of 2-3 mm in size).

Other than that, I think marquise cut white diamonds would be great side stones for your pad. If you incorporate them into the shank (so that they look like an extention of it) they won''t overpower, and they will bring a floral theme into your design (pad being the flower, diamonds being the leaves or petals). Round brilliant diamonds could steal the show from your stone, ovals would be hard to mix with a round center, hearts or trillions are quite flashy (sparkly) and cuts with straight sides (princess, radiant etc.) just seem too formal for a small pastel stone IMO. Pears or cushions might work, but marquises seem more delicate and gentle than pears to me (for a stone of this color), while cushions also tend to sparkle a lot, so would maybe overpower.

But whatever you do, make sure the side stones are not too big, especially if they''re diamonds.

Hope this helps.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input Mr. Ma Re! :)
I think when the weather is a bit nicer, I may shop around in person a bit to get a better idea of what's out there :) First things first, the stone has to get here, haha.

In the mean time, the lotus setting Linda was kind enough to link me to does offer it for faceted stones! yay! I"m writing them an email right now :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the lotus setting with the faceted stone

Etsy lotus setting

And a pic :) Oooo, I hope she takes custom setting orders! So excited!

lotus.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: They do make custom settings :)
custom setting

So now my new decision is with or without the little side diamonds. I think they're cute in theory, but may not really matter visually. Hmm...
Setting with Diamonds
But I'm so happy to have found such a lovely and interesting setting, and I'm definitely going with this one after seeing it with a faceted stone. Thanks so much Linda for such a great memory and being so nice!!! Couldn't have done ANY of this without you!

And I just ordered the stone, should get it by next week (I'm going away for the next few days for wedding planning stuff).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the diamonds are almost invisible in the photo you posted, but they might be more obvious next to a smaller stone (like your''s).

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG, OHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I am so excited for you
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
[:appl:. Your pad was meant for that setting. After all, padparadscha means lotus flower
30.gif
and now you will have a lotus setting. Oh boy, I can''t wait to see the finished setting. It is going to be so beautiful.

I was so happy to help you. She makes wedding bands to match you know
9.gif

Linda

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 11:54:03 AM
Author: Linda W
MTG, OHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I am so excited for you
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
[:appl:. Your pad was meant for that setting. After all, padparadscha means lotus flower
30.gif
and now you will have a lotus setting. Oh boy, I can''t wait to see the finished setting. It is going to be so beautiful.

I was so happy to help you. She makes wedding bands to match you know
9.gif

Linda

Yes, I saw the matching wedding bands. It''s not my engagement ring though, it''s just a special ring to wear on my wedding day (and it''ll go so well with the lotuses on my dress and the rest of the lotus theme). I can''t wait for the stone to get here so I can play with it, hehe. The setting will probably take about 2-3 weeks, and then I just have to take all the components to a jeweler to get it set! Yay! I don''t know any jewelers in Philly, but it shouldn''t be hard to find one to just set a stone. Speaking of which, what''s a standard cost to set a stone?

I also came way under budget, lol, my grandma won''t be happy with that (this is a gift from her, she can''t make it to my wedding and wanted to give me a present to wear to represent her being there, lol). Oh well, I don''t think she''ll mind too much when she sees how lovely it all ends up!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me ask Kaleigh for you, she lives in Philly. I am in California. She may be able to recommend a good jeweler for you.

Just don''t hold your pad over the sink, I did that and chipped one of my stones.
14.gif
UGH, I learned my lesson the hard way.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 12:07:48 PM
Let me ask Kaleigh for you, she lives in Philly. I am in California. She may be able to recommend a good jeweler for you.

Just don''t hold your pad over the sink, I did that and chipped one of my stones.
14.gif

EEK! At least it didn''t go DOWN the sink :/

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is going to be delicate and gorgeous! Please don''t forget to show us the finished project with lots of pics!

Congrats on finding a stone and setting that speaks to you.
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

14.gif
I can highly recommend Optima Jewelers. They are at 723 Montgomery Avenue in Narberth. 610-668-8689. Wendy and her husband Ron do incredible work. They got the Best Of the Main Line award last year. He worked on my grandmothers 100 year old ring and did a fantastic job.

Hope that helps.
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 1:39:12 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Just don't hold your pad over the sink, I did that and chipped one of my stones.
14.gif
I can highly recommend Optima Jewelers. They are at 723 Montgomery Avenue in Narberth. 610-668-8689. Wendy and her husband Ron do incredible work. They got the Best Of the Main Line award last year. He worked on my grandmothers 100 year old ring and did a fantastic job.

Hope that helps.
1.gif

Thanks so much! I really does help because god knows what I'd do if the jeweler damaged the stone or the setting. It's a toss up between bursting out in tears or a violent rage, lol. I will definitely go check them out when all the pieces of the ring come in, and of course there will be many pics!

Yay! So excited :) I think this might be the start of an addiction to custom jewelry, lol.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe...couldn''t help myself...too excited.
Photoshopped some pics of what I''m hoping the ring will look like :) (The color in the top pic is much more representative than the one on the bottom, I don''t know how they make it look lavender when it''s not, lol)

mynewringphotoshop.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first was looking for a pad, HudsonHawk linked me to a nice looking spinel, and it arrived today!
Unfortunately, there was a sizeable window and there was a crack in it, so I was going to return it, but the seller felt bad about the flaws and gave me a refund and told me to keep the spinel anyways. Fine with me, I like the color even if the cut is meh.

spinspinel.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
MTG- I''ve enjoyed following your pad journey! I think your ring is going to be beautiful, not to mention meaningful. Can''t wait to see how the project works out.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:34:24 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hehe...couldn''t help myself...too excited.

Photoshopped some pics of what I''m hoping the ring will look like :) (The color in the top pic is much more representative than the one on the bottom, I don''t know how they make it look lavender when it''s not, lol)

Oh just look at that picture
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
. Now I wish I had a pad to go into the lotus flower ring design.
39.gif
. It is going to look gorgeous. I can''t wait to see it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s going to be a spectacular ring!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They attempted to deliver the pad today, but I wasn''t home, but hopefully I can go pick it up soon!! So excited!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Boy
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Can''t wait to see pictures.

Linda

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arg, I don''t get out of classes until 4
7.gif
And then I might not be able to pick it up today depending on what time the place closes! Sigh, the waiting...lol.
But yes, will definitely post pictures :)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just checked NSC website. They raised their prices again, especially the pads.
23.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can you tell? Heh, do you have old prices archived somewhere or is it just compared to when you were shopping around?

Is it surprising that the prices would go up? I just assumed that there''s probably a yearly increase in price to adjust for inflation if nothing else.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just browsing their site over the weekend. I looked this morning and YIKES!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results